BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ipswich away match thread

3 minutes ago, Bepeja43 said:

So you do mean Tony Mowbray.

Tony Mowbray should be asked about his inclusion of Nuttall and substitutions , plus his thoughts on their piss our performances.

Is that not fair enough to ask or know..

This is definitely going to go down as 2 points lost bearing in mind what happened. Edwards was their only decent player, but apart from that Ipswich were poor and created very little - yet still scored 2 goals. Apart from our 2 goals we were also very poor. The ref was a bit dodgy in parts giving the home side several soft fouls.

Our subs were baffling as usual. You might take your best player off at 3 goals up, perhaps 2 . . . BUT.......arrggghh! Plus, we've got a terrible bench, time and time again after subs come on we look an even worse team, so unless there are injuries then why even bother? If it's a fitness thing - then maybe they should do some proper fitness training instead of being lazy gits - or just last out the 90mins - as surely playing 90mins is the best way to get match fit for a 90min game, no?

To sum up it was a fairly entertaining game albeit with not much goalmouth action (strange for a 2-2) between 2 sides that on that showing will be looking to finish lower mid-table at best.

Edited by Husky

19 minutes ago, Husky said:

This is definitely going to go down as 2 points lost bearing in mind what happened. Edwards was their only decent player, but apart from that Ipswich were poor and created very little - yet still scored 2 goals. Apart from our 2 goals we were also very poor. The ref was a bit dodgy in parts giving the home side several soft fouls.

Our subs were baffling as usual. You might take your best player off at 3 goals up, perhaps 2 . . . BUT.......arrggghh! Plus, we've got a terrible bench, time and time again after subs come on we look an even worse team, so unless there are injuries then why even bother? If it's a fitness thing - then maybe they should do some proper fitness training instead of being lazy gits - or just last out the 90mins - as surely playing 90mins is the best way to get match fit for a 90min game, no?

To sum up it was a fairly entertaining game albeit with not much goalmouth action (strange for a 2-2) between 2 sides that on that showing will be looking to finish lower mid-table at best.

How did Barnsley go on?

lol

On 04/08/2018 at 17:17, Pedro said:

I've only seen it once but I felt that Raya was blameless for both. 

He was blameless for the first but the defending was shoddy, man last unmarked in the box. The second was a shocker with defenders stood watching and the goalie not being aware of what was happening.  Big plus point for me was that Lenihan and Dack both looked classy at the higher level.

10 hours ago, JAL said:

Tony Mowbray should be asked about his inclusion of Nuttall and substitutions , plus his thoughts on their piss our performances.

Is that not fair enough to ask or know..

What a load of tosh...Does this guy go..

re-looked at our second goal. can't say I remember how many times last season we scored like that, ball crossed with some pace with left boot on left flank. there must have been numerous times on the left flank last season when the ball was stopped or the player cut inside.

second goal shows how dangerous balls can be with pacy play and left footers on left flank.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

re-looked at our second goal. can't say I remember how many times last season we scored like that, ball crossed with some pace with left boot on left flank. there must have been numerous times on the left flank last season when the ball was stopped or the player cut inside.

second goal shows how dangerous balls can be with pacy play and left footers on left flank.

The Ipswich scorer was not out wide. He was infield beyond the penalty area, ok a bit to their right side and did hit it left footed with medium pace...it bounced!

It looks softer on each viewing.

3 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The Ipswich scorer was not out wide. He was infield beyond the penalty area, ok a bit to their right side and did hit it left footed with medium pace...it bounced!

It looks softer on each viewing.

hmm..I was referring to our second goal. Although looking at what you have written, yeah, cutting in to shoot has its own rewards too.

6 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

hmm..I was referring to our second goal. Although looking at what you have written, yeah, cutting in to shoot has its own rewards too.

Woops! My stupid and I did wonder why you were on about the 'left' and completely missed 'our'...

Our second was indeed a class act.

Hint to self: read posts properly before responding.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I thought we played some great stuff in that second half. We looked much  more likely to score a third than they did to equalise

But in the end we were hanging on and didn't hang on long enough.

Contradict much ?

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We find ourselves hanging on too often in my book. 

That missed effort from Palmer was the turning point. 3-1 up and Ipswich are done. We could get away with missing those types of chances last year, but not this year. We need players like Palmer to be more clinical when presented with easy chances or we'll end up losing more points than we gain. Hopefully that miss was just a blip and first game nerves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

That missed effort from Palmer was the turning point. 3-1 up and Ipswich are done. We could get away with missing those types of chances last year, but not this year. We need players like Palmer to be more clinical when presented with easy chances or we'll end up losing more points than we gain. Hopefully that miss was just a blip and first game nerves.

Yeah but we'd have still been hanging on at 3-1.

• J*B unpinned this topic
23 minutes ago, DE. said:

I always get concerned when incoming players are talked up by Management. Time alone will tell how good Palmer is

23 minutes ago, dallydally said:

I always get concerned when incoming players are talked up by Management. Time alone will tell how good Palmer is

Derby fans were impressed with him last season and wanted him to be played more often. Plus helping Huddersfield to promotion the season before. I am going to put that miss down to 1st match nerves.

Overall am more disappointed than encouraged after Saturday's game. 

Firstly regardless of whether it's Manure or Macclesfield if you're leading past the 90th minute, it's always going to be disappointing not to hold on. 

Secondly I'm of the opinion that Ipswich are one of the weaker teams in the division, and McCarthy has been getting the random assortment of players to punch above their weight in mid-table. Without him, I feel they're one of the weaker teams, and it should have been one of the games that we're looking to get 3 points from, regardless of how ambitious we are. 

I'm also a bit frustrated that Bell hasn't been chosen in front of Williams, who I thought was no great shakes last season, yet retains the roll of first choice lb, even over a guy who got in the team of the season last year in that position. All a bit odd imo. 

Mind you, there are a number of positives - we didn't look outclassed, a number of players looked like they can make the step up (or back up) to the Championship, and we didn't lose. Think those saying the Millwall game will be a better indicator of how we'll do are correct. But Millwall are also an encouragement of what we could do this season with the right tactics, effort and a couple more shrewd signings. 

Overall a less than impressive start, but equally not one that gets the alarm bells ringing - which is a first in a few seasons! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Overall am more disappointed than encouraged after Saturday's game. 

Firstly regardless of whether it's Manure or Macclesfield if you're leading past the 90th minute, it's always going to be disappointing not to hold on. 

Secondly I'm of the opinion that Ipswich are one of the weaker teams in the division, and McCarthy has been getting the random assortment of players to punch above their weight in mid-table. Without him, I feel they're one of the weaker teams, and it should have been one of the games that we're looking to get 3 points from, regardless of how ambitious we are. 

I'm also a bit frustrated that Bell hasn't been chosen in front of Williams, who I thought was no great shakes last season, yet retains the roll of first choice lb, even over a guy who got in the team of the season last year in that position. All a bit odd imo. 

Mind you, there are a number of positives - we didn't look outclassed, a number of players looked like they can make the step up (or back up) to the Championship, and we didn't lose. Think those saying the Millwall game will be a better indicator of how we'll do are correct. But Millwall are also an encouragement of what we could do this season with the right tactics, effort and a couple more shrewd signings. 

Overall a less than impressive start, but equally not one that gets the alarm bells ringing - which is a first in a few seasons! 

So you would not have taken a point away to Ipswich before the game? 

I think most of us would and while the manner of that draw was disappointing having been in front and them equalizing late on, we could quite have easily been 3-1 up as well. I think it was unfortunate really that we missed that Palmer chance and then a rather fluke goal went in for them.

That being said, we looked comfortable against a team that finished midtable in the Championship last season using practically the same team that was promoted from League  1. We still have to look forward to what impact Davenport, Palmer, Rothwell and Armstrong on the team and how much more they will strengthen us. Then we are told to expect some more signings too which should hopefully improve us as well.

I was gutted at the goal but overall I feel a little more confident that we have enough to stay up (that is the minimum expectation this season for me). I would take a draw away from home at any team this season as long as we have good home form.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

So you would not have taken a point away to Ipswich before the game? 

I think most of us would and while the manner of that draw was disappointing having been in front and them equalizing late on, we could quite have easily been 3-1 up as well. I think it was unfortunate really that we missed that Palmer chance and then a rather fluke goal went in for them.

That being said, we looked comfortable against a team that finished midtable in the Championship last season using practically the same team that was promoted from League  1. We still have to look forward to what impact Davenport, Palmer, Rothwell and Armstrong on the team and how much more they will strengthen us. Then we are told to expect some more signings too which should hopefully improve us as well.

I was gutted at the goal but overall I feel a little more confident that we have enough to stay up (that is the minimum expectation this season for me). I would take a draw away from home at any team this season as long as we have good home form.

I think on reflection that a draw vs. Ipswich would have been the lower end of my expectations, as in the least we should have achieved. Imo Ipswich's mid table performances were much to do with McCarthy doing very well with dross rather than any quality there. Perhaps there's a bit more I'll take the draw because t's the first game of the season, and you don't want to start in a bad/disappointing manner, which perhaps makes it a bit of a better result. But yeah, overall I'd say a point would've been the least we were expecting. 

As you say there were lots of positives, and there are more players and  adjustments to be made for these guys which will help so it's far from doom and gloom or a terrible result. That said, with the confidence from promotion last season, and a team that was familiar with each other and the manager's methods - I do feel the win was there for the taking. In fact, I agree, had we got that third goal we'd have come out comfortable winners and deserved winners too, which suggests it wasn't too unrealistic to expect a win. 

Of course hindsight will be a wonderful thing. If Ipswich go on to be top 6 it looks a very good point, if they totally implode it looks like a good opportunity missed. But yeah, I think I'll stand by my opinion (I'm always happy to review and admit mistakes when I'm often wrong on here!) on this one. Should've been 3 points but by no means a disaster. 

Edited by Blue blood

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

I think on reflection that a draw vs. Ipswich would have been the lower end of my expectations, as in the least we should have achieved. Imo Ipswich's mid table performances were much to do with McCarthy doing very well with dross rather than any quality there. Perhaps there's a bit more I'll take the draw because it's the first game of the season, and you don't want to start in a bad/disappointing manner, which perhaps makes it a bit of a better result, but yeah, overall I'd say a point would've been the least we were expecting. 

As you say there were lots of positives, and there are more players and  adjustments to be made for these guys which will help so it's far from doom and gloom or a terrible result. That said, with the confidence from promotion last season, and a team that was familiar with each other and the manager's methods - I do feel the win was there for the taking. In fact, I agree, had we got that third goal we'd have come out comfortable winners and deserved winners too, which suggests it wasn't too unrealistic to expect a win. 

Of course hindsight will be a wonderful thing. If Ipswich go on to be top 6 it looks a very good point, if they totally implode it looks like a good opportunity missed. But yeah, I think I'll stand by my opinion (I'm always happy to review and admit mistakes when I'm often wrong on here!) on this one. Should've been 3 points but by no means a disaster. 

I think it is a little premature to assume that Hurst will not be able to do what Mick McCarthy has done there previously. It is obvious that he was given the job because he had done a very similar one with Shrewsbury albeit a division lower. He had them punching well above their weight and was capable of running a club on a strict budget.

At Shrewsbury he plucked players from lower leagues and he has so far done exactly the same at Ipswich. Edwards, Harrison with Nolan and Nisiala imminent as well as being the latest club linked with Maddison would represent some good business though i imagine they will be financing this with the departure of Waghorn.

Good point in my opinion though obviously could and probably should have been more. What I did like is that Graham and Dack were both clinical with their chances which bodes well to have them off and running already, Palmer was obviously not fully up to speed or comfortable as of yet but am sure he will play his part. Now with Armstrong to come into the team and hopefully a few more signings lined up, I am optimistic of a good season that will have us well away from the drop and potentially flirting in the top half.

• Like 1