K-Hod

Thursday deadline.

13 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PhilHayYEP/status/1011318946149097473?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fthe72.co.uk%2F106812%2Fblackburn-rumoured-fancy-leeds-top-scorer%2F

Yorkshire Post journo saying we have a possible interest in Roofe but Leeds want to keep him. Biesla looking to get rid of 15 players. 

Wasn't he linked to Reading at 7 million last week?

As much as I would like Kemar Roofe I think he is way out of our price range. However, Marcus Maddison now that is an interesting name that could be just as lethal! Hoping that we can get Caddis, Whittingham, Gladwin out and send Hart, Nuttal, Platt on loan. Onwards and upwards! Exciting times, and glad to see our first signing across the line. Rothwell ins't a shabby signing but it is a very much wait and see how he develops i won't be one to pass judgement without seeing him play. First impressions is that he will fit right into the team spirit which is key for me! 

We're weaker now than we were at the end of last season. We need to be significantly stronger. To do that we're going to have to spend some money.

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We're weaker now than we were at the end of last season. We need to be significantly stronger. To do that we're going to have to spend some money.

I didn't realise the season has already kicked off

Just now, rigger said:

I didn't realise the season has already kicked off

Don't think I said it had. Doesn't change anything though - we need more quality, the sooner the better, and it costs. Trying to do it on the cheap is a very dangerous game.

Think we need to realise that we can't just have a repeat of last summer. Last summer for a modest sum of about £1 million we were able to recruit a top quality League one side. This time round we need better players which cost more and we're in a League with clubs who can spend more, so a million on 5-6 decent League One players might not be sufficient.

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Don't think I said it had. Doesn't change anything though - we need more quality, the sooner the better, and it costs. Trying to do it on the cheap is a very dangerous game.

Think we need to realise that we can't just have a repeat of last summer. Last summer for a modest sum of about £1 million we were able to recruit a top quality League one side. This time round we need better players which cost more and we're in a League with clubs who can spend more, so a million on 5-6 decent League One players might not be sufficient.

It's a bit like a phony war.

We really won't know what to think until it is too late to do anything about it.

I can't remember the name of that cardboard "director", who said "Don't judge us till September?"

They really can't waste the opportunity to build on all the momentum and good will, can they?😁

Freebies will soon be free of their present contracts.

Seems like the once talented Tony Watt is now focused on reviewing films and streaming himself playing Fortnite - what a waste 

Just now, Tom said:

Seems like the once talented Tony Watt is now focused on reviewing films and streaming himself playing Fortnite - what a waste 

It is for sure but like so many of his ilk if they aren't prepared to live the life then it'll catch up with them.

A shame but unless he genuinely struggles with something fitness wise I've zero sympathy.

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I’m not sure why I’m wasting my time replying, but you know as well as I do - if it simply came down to funds, wages and transfer fees, we would’ve returned to the top flight at the first attempt under Kean.

Cardiff hardly spent a penny in transfers last summer, other than Madine - and he hardly made an impact.

Clever, patient and long term business, not spending money for the sake of it.

4 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’m not sure why I’m wasting my time replying, but you know as well as I do - if it simply came down to funds, wages and transfer fees, we would’ve returned to the top flight at the first attempt under Kean.

Cardiff hardly spent a penny in transfers last summer, other than Madine - and he hardly made an impact.

Clever, patient and long term business, not spending money for the sake of it.

Wouldn't have thought Cardiff's situation had any relevance whatsoever to our own. As a general rule of thumb if you get promoted and do not strengthen significantly you are going to struggle.

44 minutes ago, JHRover said:

lets see who we signed before the season starts. 

But we aren't going to be spending loads of millions after millions this summer. Mowbray and Waggott have told you the way we will to sign players this summer. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Wouldn't have thought Cardiff's situation had any relevance whatsoever to our own. As a general rule of thumb if you get promoted and do not strengthen significantly you are going to struggle.

but we will strengthen the squad. we still in June. still 6 weeks of the transfer window to go

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

. Mowbray and Waggott have told you the way we will to sign players this summer. 

Have they? Do you mean the comment about preferring character over quality?

It's not about spending mega money, thats got us in the shite as it is. It's about spending money wisely

Remember king kennys first signing? Little Ian Wright from Oldham for next to nowt. TM has a plan and i'm more than happy to go along with it.

Young hungry guys mixed with a sprinkle of silver dusted experience ... Boom!

Top half garaunteed

1 minute ago, pomster said:

It's not about spending mega money, thats got us in the shite as it is. It's about spending money wisely

Remember king kennys first signing? Little Ian Wright from Oldham for next to nowt. TM has a plan and i'm more than happy to go along with it.

Young hungry guys mixed with a sprinkle of silver dusted experience ... Boom!

Top half garaunteed

correction ............…. Alan Wright from Blackpool. £500.000.00

Half a mil was big money back in the day considering a million bought you a top class forward operator like Mike Newell.

But yes it was a bit of a left of the field signing I suppose 😉

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

There are examples of both working, and lots of examples of excess leading to further decline.

We are a good example of spending money and not getting any value, however our investments haven’t all been bad, Cairney, Gestede, Marshall, Conway and Evans all cost less than a million, and all of them have/had at least one promotion from the second tier on their CVs. 

The general rule of thumb for me, sensible improvements and building of a “team” is the best way to achieve any goal long term. Ofcourse, Wolves and others are perfectly obvious examples of quick fixes done with big investments, but as Pomster and others have pointed towards, we’ve spent a lot of money in the past and had not much in return. 

I’m absolutely buzzing to hear comments and rumours about players being binned off in interviews because of attitude. We need to build a mentality, that started from the ground up 12 months ago and the solution for me is continuity, patience and pragmatism. One bad apple spoils the cart. I admit more funds would help us get those exceptional talents and characters but I also feel a small pot makes the staff seek the absolute most out of their means.

A proper team spirit alone will win us points, and more quality around a few key players could help us surprise a few.

A "character test" is a great innovation by Mowbray . It's a pity we didn't have one years ago - it would have saved us from the likes of Martin Dahlin, Danny Murphy and Bradley Orr. 

Personally, I'd wouldn't sign any player who didn't have 3 A-levels,  who didn't wear a suit and tie for the interview and had any facial hair.  Tattoos would be a no-no too.

Nice Boys only need apply.    

53 minutes ago, Alan75 said:

correction ............…. Alan Wright from Blackpool. £500.000.00

Ok, I stand corrected. But the point i was trying to make is, is that Uncle Jack had bought rovers and money was freely available. Everybody expected Kenny to splash out on a big name transfer  but he bought Ian Wright from third tier Blackpool for £500k

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

A "character test" is a great innovation by Mowbray . It's a pity we didn't have one years ago - it would have saved us from the likes of Martin Dahlin, Danny Murphy and Bradley Orr. 

Personally, I'd wouldn't sign any player who didn't have 3 A-levels,  who didn't wear a suit and tie for the interview and had any facial hair.  Tattoos would be a no-no too.

Trouble is that doesn't throw up the right kind of leaders it takes allsorts to make a good dressing room I bet. The odd character is fine as long as the boss is strong enough to handle him and the leaders keep them in check.

The personality check would've certainly weeded out Orr and a good few others, Stokes for example but i'd think Murphy and Dahlin were good pros it's just how the hell their types got through the medicals and get the contracts they did that needed kyboshing, I think it has been now.

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Definitely with you on beards and tattoos. We're getting old

36 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Based on this you wouldn't sign Dack, Messi, Sterling, Kane, Ronaldo (wears ripped jeans) etc I completely disagree about turning someone away in what they dress in.