BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

7 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Or possibly somewhere between the 2, Rev. Newcastle were playing hardball. We didn't want to overpay. We couldn't agree on how to structure payments. His agent was wanting to squeeze just a bit more out of the deal. Who knows? 

Negotiating his wages, length of the deal etc plus he mentions he had other clubs in for him as well. Newcastle might have been haggling for more upfront etc - then when they sold Mitrovic they were a little bit happier to be more lenient on this front.

Plenty of reasons why it might have taken a while.

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Seems a lot more likely we had to completely reassess having drawn a blank imo.

Otherwise the players we need, particularly Armstrong would have been here in time for the start of the season and we wouldn't have been scurrying about looking to do panic business in the last few days of the transfer window.

So signing Armstrong is "scurrying about looking to do panic business" 

Stop talking shite 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

That takes spending to £2.5 million. Wonder how much there is left. I wouldn’t blow all my budget on Armstrong if I was TM.

You say that mate but I doubt around 2 million will get you much these days. You have to look at what we're getting for that price... A lad at 21, who's an England youth International, with buckets of pace, who's already scored goals for us. Dack is unproven in championship, if we had to sign him this simmer god knows what price he'd be. 

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Seems a lot more likely we had to completely reassess having drawn a blank imo.

Otherwise the players we need, particularly Armstrong would have been here in time for the start of the season and we wouldn't have been scurrying about looking to do panic business in the last few days of the transfer window.

With respect, I think it shows how organised and ambitious Mowbray and his recruitment team have been, or tried to be at least. They've obviously had more ambitious targets higher up the list that they've been priced out of and made their way down the list to Armstrong. I think that shows a well thought out transfer strategy and ambition. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Good spot by Ian on twitter that his watch shows 4:35 so the deal was already done before today. 

I think player reveals now slows down announcements! 

Really hope competion for graham is the next one over the line now.

Before anyone slags off Bauer for his tweet along with the 'avoid' comment, think about how much of a mess Charlton are in (off the pitch).

He is being chased by clubs a division higher whilst at a club who are being run as bad as us circa 2011-2013. He is simply stating he will be leaving on a free in 12 months. Isn't that the same as giving your notice at any job? 

If I was TM, £400k offer should be going in.

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Before anyone slags off Bauer for his tweet along with the 'avoid' comment, think about how much of a mess Charlton are in (off the pitch).

He is being chased by clubs a division higher whilst at a club who are being run as bad as us circa 2011-2013. He is simply stating he will be leaving on a free in 12 months. Isn't that the same as giving your notice at any job? 

If I was TM, £400k offer should be going in.

Charlton have been selling off anything that moves for the past few seasons anyway (probably one reason he wants out)  - I think this is more to do with them being greedy over the fee and he is letting them know that they will lose him for nothing eventually anyway.

I haven't seen much of Bauer, but looking at him from the outside the clips I have seen he seems to be a "proper" defender, he's a good age, would add some much needed height to the team, and we have the number 5 shirt all ready and waiting for him :tu:.

Could be shrewd business for 500k?

Edited by MarkBRFC

Very pleased with the Armstrong deal. One of the key priorities this summer. Hope he gets his first start on Saturday with Palmer, Dack and Graham.

Do wonder where Bennett will play most games this season. Unless he ups his attacking output he will struggle to dislodge any of them 4 in games especially at home. Obviously a role for him away, cant see him as first choice at right back and in the middle either, obviously has a big role but shouldnt be guaranteed a start every week.

Now for 3 days to determine our window. Armstrong and Palmer are exciting additions, the other 2 are projects really, neither first teamers. 3 keys now are a target man, a direct winger and a centre back. 

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Connor Mahoney signing for Birmingham

Dreadful signing. Can tell they are under embargo. Can see them going down.

10 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Connor Mahoney signing for Birmingham 

Not good news for Rovers.
It would seem they are getting him on a free, which completely trashes the sell-on fee that the Football League put in his transfer terms under Tribunal.
Means we don't stand to make any profit from future sale.

Just now, RovingRover said:

It would seem they are getting him on a free, which completely trashes the sell-on fee that the Football League put in his transfer terms under Tribunal.

Is it not a loan move?Be surprised if Bournemouth just let him go for nothing.

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Do wonder where Bennett will play most games this season. Unless he ups his attacking output he will struggle to dislodge any of them 4 in games especially at home. Obviously a role for him away, cant see him as first choice at right back and in the middle either

He'd do a better job than Evans or Smallwood in the centre.

1 minute ago, RovingRover said:

Surely it'll be a loan? Why would Bournemouth release him on a free? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RovingRover said:

Pretty sure it's a loan. 

7 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/garry-monk-prepares-bid-birmingham-14994267

Local paper thinks Mahoney is a loan therefore hopefully preserving our sell on fee. 

Was always surprised he went to Bournemouth myself. Can't see how he would ever get in a PL team. Needed to stay in championship to develop. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

He'd do a better job than Evans or Smallwood in the centre.

100%

Just seen on SSN that Nsiala and Nolan having medicals at Ipswich for combined fee of £2m. Add that to Harrison and Edwards signings and looks like Hurst is making £3.5m worth of signings ready for his push on the L1 top 2 again this season.

1 minute ago, Drover said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/garry-monk-prepares-bid-birmingham-14994267

Local paper thinks Mahoney is a loan therefore hopefully preserving our sell on fee. 

Was always surprised he went to Bournemouth myself. Can't see how he would ever get in a PL team. Needed to stay in championship to develop. 

Yup a year of his career wasted. Could have played regularly for us in L1 or could have gone to another Championship club. Said it at the time it was the wrong decision.

• Like 2