BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

On 17/12/2018 at 15:50, BlackburnEnd75 said:

If Tony wants to go to 3 at the back then we would have to go after 2 wing backs. I don't think Nyambe is good enough going forward to do that role although he is athletic enough, Bennett has got the energy and can whip crosses in but might be quick enough. Williams is obviously a no out there and Bell isn't up to standard.

It could help us transition to being more of a passing team but without the right players I don't think it would work

Quite like what you've suggested in midfield. If we were to pivot towards that formation could go with something like

Raya

Lenihan       Mulgrew      One Of*                                      *Rodwell, Nyambe, Williams

Bennett           Evans             Reed           New Left Wing Back

Dack

Graham     Armstrong

We'd have to try push teams higher up the pitch and keep that pressing game.

I quite like that team. One thing is for sure. We will never get promotion with Smallwood and Evans in midfield, in fact, at the risk of being too attacking I would also have a new centre half at the back and Rodwell or Rothwell in Evans place in midfield.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al said:

I quite like that team. One thing is for sure. We will never get promotion with Smallwood and Evans in midfield, in fact, at the risk of being too attacking I would also have a new centre half at the back and Rodwell or Rothwell in Evans place in midfield.

Imo Neither Bennett nor Evans are good enough if we were to entertain serious hopes of promotion imo.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Attacking MF according to his wiki. A box-to-box MF according to him. Nothing like Smallwood, although if we played with genuine central midfielders and not just two water-carriers then I'm sure he might we worth a look. Then again if we played like that we might concede even more goals. Tough balancing act. 

Yes a proper midfielder more defensive than rothwell and better than smallwood....that's what I said.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes a proper midfielder more defensive than rothwell and better than smallwood....that's what I said.

Cheers

You said “a good Smallwood”. I took that to mean the same position/type.

Personally I’d sooner play Rothwell alongside Evans or Bennett and start to take the initiative rather than always trying to nullify the opposition. But then I’m not a fan of playing wing backs either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17312396.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-keen-to-add-to-squad-in-january/

'The boss doesn’t expect many additions next month, believing the summer window is the best time to mould his squad'

AKA I've spunked all the transfer kitty on BB? 

Fake news. The headline specifically says that he is keen to add to the squad in January.

He is right. The summer is the best time. Clubs would do well to get 1, let alone 2 players in who will impact the first squad in January. 

Pretty clear we have money remaining 

Translated - Waiting till summer then the money from Dacky less the 7 mill and the black hole money might leave us with two million so spend on someone to play out of position or 3 squad men to sit on the bench whilst we give these lads who've kept us up another chance ?

• Like 2

During the summer there was talk as the deadline approached of there being nothing to worry about if we didn't get everyone we wanted because we had the loan market, then as that deadline approached it was all about we've only go get through 4 months and then the January window would provide the opportunity to strengthen, now, as expected as the January window approaches expectations are being downplayed. It's a difficult time to do business, we won't panic buy, the summer is more suitable etc.

That's fine if you use the summer to address your weaknesses and January is just icing on the cake or minor adjustments.

24 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Will call it now, Bauer and Chapman in and two loans when BB becomes perm and Palmer goes elsewhere (hopefully a striker and a LB).

Fantasy stuff would be a perm deal agreed for Reed. 

I think you are right on perm deal for Reed being fantasy. Based on their last match - the Southampton coach likes a high pressing game - Reed would be perfect.

As with all Rovers fans - I hope I am wrong - and we sign him on a permanent deal - just can't see it.

10 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think you are right on perm deal for Reed being fantasy. Based on their last match - the Southampton coach likes a high pressing game - Reed would be perfect.

As with all Rovers fans - I hope I am wrong - and we sign him on a permanent deal - just can't see it.

Well there are rumors that the new guy wants to cut the squad size so that he can bring in more of his own players so that might be in our favour. I would imagine it will come down to what the new manager wants though as Reed is 24 now and needs to be established somewhere and playing regularly. I just feel that if we do not move quickly more competitive teams near the top will be keeping an eye on him.

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't get the hate from some parties for Gallagher. I thought he looked decent in a struggling team. Scored some good goals for us. I would be happy with him on loan. 

If we sign Chapman, he needs to be on the bench, not on loan. He would be a useful weapon to have, provided he is fit. 

Its not hate. Gallagher was weak and incapable of holding the ball up, especially as a lone striker. It wouldnt make any sense to sign him on a temporary deal, his goal record in the Championship is very underwhelming and hes not played all season. Id suggest he is pretty similar in style to Brereton, tall, lanky, not the strongest, and fairly quick. Neither have particularly impressive goal records as of yet. It would bring the signing of Brereton into further disrepute if we signed Gallagher on loan and he played at the expense of our own player whose development would be further stunted.

It would also show a lack of imagination in the transfer market to sign them 2. We dont need more impact subs in wide areas, we need a first team one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17312396.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-keen-to-add-to-squad-in-january/

'The boss doesn’t expect many additions next month, believing the summer window is the best time to mould his squad'

AKA he's spunked all the transfer kitty on BB? 

He had me at “Mowbray wants to improve on ‘okay’ results in the second half of the season as Rovers reach the halfway point with tomorrow’s home game with Norwich City.”

The ambition is palpable.

“The plan for this window is to try and see whether we can help the team on the pitch and improve the results from being okay to pretty good,” Mowbray said.

Be still my beating heart!

In summary:

- January not a time to buy (we aren’t thinking about the play-offs)

- Name check for ✌?unwelcome✌? West Ham Dack offer (let’s talk up the price)

- extra quality might make us better

- season target at halfway stage is 12th (wooo)

- Onlu Reed has been a Mowbray signing of any use (slight LT dig at Mowbray)

- “My thought pattern was always to give everyone an opportunity to see how they could cope with life in the Championship” (this guy should be coaching Under-11s)

Thoughts on reading that...

If I’m Dack or his agent, this club does not match my ambitions. Mowbray has put all of his faith in Dack being loyal due to the court case. Some vague comments about our business in the Summer may mean he has asked Dack to stick it out until then (in a team going nowhere).

We appears to make playing “make do and mend” with an inferior squad to stretch our budget further. If that’s the case, why the hell are we spending big bucks on Brereton? (A Balaji/syndicate signing?)

With prices being what they are, and having a manager with no ambition and/or no money for new players (and TM is putting on a brave face) we aren’t going to see an upturn in ST sales or attendance. No wonder the club is going down the guilt trip route - as though lapsed fans owe the club. On the contrary, this club owes the faithful fans something - other than a price increase. The best ticket offer for Rovers fans this season has been made by Newcastle!

This window is going to be all about Dack. With him staying being “like a new signing”.

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not hate. Gallagher was weak and incapable of holding the ball up, especially as a lone striker. It wouldnt make any sense to sign him on a temporary deal, his goal record in the Championship is very underwhelming and hes not played all season. Id suggest he is pretty similar in style to Brereton, tall, lanky, not the strongest, and fairly quick. Neither have particularly impressive goal records as of yet. It would bring the signing of Brereton into further disrepute if we signed Gallagher on loan and he played at the expense of our own player whose development would be further stunted.

It would also show a lack of imagination in the transfer market to sign them 2. We dont need more impact subs in wide areas, we need a first team one.

He scored 12 goals for us. A mix of different goals. I thought he looked good. I will leave it at that as the conversation will just go around in circles. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He scored 12 goals for us. A mix of different goals. I thought he looked good. I will leave it at that as the conversation will just go around in circles. 

Graham got 13 the same season which kind of puts it into perspective - I too thought Gallagher looked decent with us. Is he the like for like that we need for DG though? Not so sure but we need somebody else at least as our 7 million man is not getting much of a look in. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Graham got 13 the same season which kind of puts it into perspective - I too thought Gallagher looked decent with us. Is he the like for like that we need for DG though? Not so sure but we need somebody else at least as our 7 million man is not getting much of a look in. 

Ya, that's the odd thing. Will he be 3rd choice? We are still going to play one striker. Graham will still be first choice. Competition is good at the end of the day I suppose.

Maybe Mowbray is thinking down the road we could have Brereton, Gallagher and Armstrong as our options. 

He is a patient man is Tony 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, that's the odd thing. Will he be 3rd choice? We are still going to play one striker. Graham will still be first choice. Competition is good at the end of the day I suppose.

Maybe Mowbray is thinking down the road we could have Brereton, Gallagher and Armstrong as our options. 

He is a patient man is Tony 

Yep, he likes a forward 'that can' play on the wing if needs to be too - so SG fits the mold.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

1. The ambition is palpable.

“The plan for this window is to try and see whether we can help the team on the pitch and improve the results from being okay to pretty good,” Mowbray said.

Be still my beating heart!

In summary:

-2. January not a time to buy (we aren’t thinking about the play-offs)

3. Name check for ✌?unwelcome✌? West Ham Dack offer (let’s talk up the price)

- extra quality might make us better

- season target at halfway stage is 12th (wooo)

- Onlu Reed has been a Mowbray signing of any use (slight LT dig at Mowbray)

- “My thought pattern was always to give everyone an opportunity to see how they could cope with life in the Championship” 4. this guy should be coaching Under-11s)

Thoughts on reading that...

3. If I’m Dack or his agent, this club does not match my ambitions. Mowbray has put all of his faith in Dack being loyal due to the court case. Some vague comments about our business in the Summer may mean he has asked Dack to stick it out until then (in a team going nowhere).

5. We appears to make playing “make do and mend” with an inferior squad to stretch our budget further. If that’s the case, why the hell are we spending big bucks on Brereton? (A Balaji/syndicate signing?)

6. With prices being what they are, and having a manager with no ambition and/or no money for new players (and TM is putting on a brave face) we aren’t going to see an upturn in ST sales or attendance. No wonder the club is going down the guilt trip route - as though lapsed fans owe the club. On the contrary, this club owes the faithful fans something - other than a price increase. The best ticket offer for Rovers fans this season has been made by Newcastle!

7. This window is going to be all about Dack. With him staying being “like a new signing”.

Hyperbolic criticisms and unnecessary and unrelated swipes from my perspective;

1. Ambition to target top half “and beyond that” is worthy of a sarcastic palpable and Heart comment

I’d assume that was a realistic ambition of most fans. 

2. He said no major overhaul but right men to improve “fine lines”. Thats exactly what we need.

3. That was LT mention of Dack, no reference, no talk of sales, nothing from TM

4. The veil slips..

5. Firstly, it’s been said that those who got us up will get their chances, Secondly; I’m not sure the opportunity to bring in potential in a position we are short of can be described as a “syndicate” signing. It’s highly paranoid imo, especially when main director at Ewood said they could flex between wages and fees.

6. You know as well as I do, anything to celebrate and people will give up their regular seat and cheap pint at the Crown ground once more. How you managed to stuff this bitterness into a response to a short interview on transfers is beyond me. You know, higher revenue, higher spend... right?

Or if you prefer in future I can simply respond with the laughter emoji?