Sign in to follow this  
roversfan99

Rovers v Hull

So what did people make of Maddison? He was being built up as a must sign player by some for the last 2 years. 

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Armstrong’s in first minute, a simple straight at him header is all I can remember in terms of chances. 
jackson Irvine has a free header and a few times we looked like causing ourselves problems by not dealing with balls into our box. Yes the final 15 minutes were good and makes it look comfortable but hull pretty much imploded for us. I’m not happy with mid table your right for whoever point that was. I strive for more and make no apology for doing so 

I remember another save from their keeper first half which he tried to make look like a worldie (perhaps midway through the half, can't remember which Rovers player it was), and I also remember a couple of blocks by the Hull defence which were also shots on target/good chances. You can't keep citing similar promising situations that Hull had as 'chances' without giving equal credence to the ones that Rovers had.

I'm not a huge fan of stats per se, but by any measure we absolutely battered Hull last night and the only surprise is that it took us so long to actually make the breakthrough. 

Striving for more is one thing, but mate you are not being fair, reasonable or rational in your analysis of what happened last night. 3-0 certainly did not flatter us and that's regardless of when the goals were scored. As one-sided a game as you could wish to see. 

I appreciate that football is a game of opinions, but is everybody else really wrong and you are right?  

7 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I remember another save from their keeper first half which he tried to make look like a worldie (perhaps midway through the half, can't remember which Rovers player it was), and I also remember a couple of blocks by the Hull defence which were also shots on target/good chances. You can't keep citing similar promising situations that Hull had as 'chances' without giving equal credence to the ones that Rovers had.

I'm not a huge fan of stats per se, but by any measure we absolutely battered Hull last night and the only surprise is that it took us so long to actually make the breakthrough. 

Striving for more is one thing, but mate you are not being fair, reasonable or rational in your analysis of what happened last night. 3-0 certainly did not flatter us and that's regardless of when the goals were scored. As one-sided a game as you could wish to see. 

I appreciate that football is a game of opinions, but is everybody else really wrong and you are right?  

Nope it’s my opinion , Not asking folk to agree , happy to have a debate, the wee petty digs are uncalled for imo. 

did we deserve it - yes.

were hull playing reserves and new signings losing the last 5 and worst team in the league currently- yes. 
we were ok, certainly not as good as some are making out.

19 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Armstrong’s in first minute, a simple straight at him header is all I can remember in terms of chances. 
jackson Irvine has a free header and a few times we looked like causing ourselves problems by not dealing with balls into our box. Yes the final 15 minutes were good and makes it look comfortable but hull pretty much imploded for us. I’m not happy with mid table your right for whoever point that was. I strive for more and make no apology for doing so 

Armstrong in the first minute, Johnsons header straight at the keeper when he should have done better, Armstrong's shot blocked on the line by the defender - all three of those absolute gilt-edged chances which we should have taken at least one of.

Added to that, Armstrong curled one just wide from the edge of the box fairly early on, Tosin headed one wide from a corner, Downing put one over from the edge of the box and also had a free kick that was saved by the keeper. Not saying that any of those were clear cut chances, but all were equal to the one where they hit the bar, and all better than anything else they managed all night

Just now, DaveyB said:

Armstrong in the first minute, Johnsons header straight at the keeper when he should have done better, Armstrong's shot blocked on the line by the defender - all three of those absolute gilt-edged chances which we should have taken at least one of.

Added to that, Armstrong curled one just wide from the edge of the box fairly early on, Tosin headed one wide from a corner, Downing put one over from the edge of the box and also had a free kick that was saved by the keeper. Not saying that any of those were clear cut chances, but all were equal to the one where they hit the bar, and all better than anything else they managed all night

Totally don’t recall those as close or real chances. Armstrong off the line? 

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So what did people make of Maddison? He was being built up as a must sign player by some for the last 2 years. 

He was one of their better players. He got booed when he came over to take a couple of corners, which I just find fascinating. Booing a player because he didn't sign for your club and then heading to social media to say how crap he was baffles me.

Some Rovers fans, not unlike other supporter bases, are guilty of this. Same with Patrick Bauer, he's been great for Preston but you'll find quite a few who want to under egg how good he is for them, simply because he didn't sign for us.

Hull were poor, had no real outlet, but he was okay. Beat Bell repeatedly, but that's not a huge task. Shame he's signed for a side who've now sold all their decent players. 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Nope it’s my opinion , Not asking folk to agree , happy to have a debate, the wee petty digs are uncalled for imo. 

did we deserve it - yes.

were hull playing reserves and new signings losing the last 5 and worst team in the league currently- yes. 

Hull were poor, yes. And it's true to say that we might not have won so comfortably against a better side.

But last night could/should have been 5 or 6 nil, and I'm not sure what else Rovers could have done (except obviously taking a few more of their chances). Certainly very far from a 'very poor' performance as you described 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not stick with 4-3-3 against Charlton? 

How did Maddison do? Would you sign him in the summer?

Unsure, I think going forward for us 4-3-3 means that we have to play Armstrong wide because we only have him, Rothwell and maybe Chapman that can do that role. I don't want to see Gallagher shunted back there when he returns, which he will, nor Brereton and Samuel regularly in the wide positions. I thought that Brereton last night was more involved overall, but obviously Samuel got his goal but I dont think I would want him wide right from the start of a game.

I think with the 442, we can play Armstrong up top still and then pick either the experience of Graham or the mobility of one of the other 3, baring in mind none of them have worked out so far, but at least they would be playing in their natural position.

Maddison didnt really do much in a shocking Hull side but yeah I certainly would. He would have easily got into our side still looking at his track record, Bennett offered nothing from a natural wide role yesterday and really needs moving on. I am sure we will revert back to 4231 next season with Holtby and then Dack back, and he can easily slot into a wide role far more naturally than the usual suspects that play there, and also play as a 10.

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What a great result. I would almost say ruthless.

Armstrong is better and more important than Dack now. Anyone disagree?

Have we a quality defence now? Stats and clean sheets would suggest we do. 

How good is Lenigoal these days? Hard to see him here next season. 

No way that Armstrong is better than Dack, Dack has a consistently better goal record. Armstrong has really stepped up though and I hope it is more than an extended run of form similar to last January. I think it is too. He needs to add the goals that Dack has as bread and butter, scrappy goals, tap ins, he was put through in the first minute and his finish was poor, then obviously scored an absolute screamer. Has the attributes to go far though and very good to watch at the moment. 

Our defence is obviously better than last season but there are still 10 teams in the League with better defensive records than us, we are only the 11th best defence so we still need improving.

Lenihan is our main man back there and has been very assured.

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Totally don’t recall those as close or real chances.

9 seconds into the game AA went one on one with the goalkeeper, probably the most gilt-edged chances not taken this season for us...

Just now, JoeH said:

He was one of their better players. He got booed when he came over to take a couple of corners, which I just find fascinating. Booing a player because he didn't sign for your club and then heading to social media to say how crap he was baffles me.

Some Rovers fans, not unlike other supporter bases, are guilty of this. Same with Patrick Bauer, he's been great for Preston but you'll find quite a few who want to under egg how good he is for them, simply because he didn't sign for us.

Hull were poor, had no real outlet, but he was okay. Beat Bell repeatedly, but that's not a huge task. Shame he's signed for a side who've now sold all their decent players. 

Did he beat Bell repeatedly? Ya, I don't get people booing Maddison , because we were never really that interested. As for Bauer, well he straight up picked PNE so whilst I wouldn't do it myself, at least it makes a bit more sense. 

As for Maddison, did you not expect him to move to a better club? I recall you mentioning WBA. The way Hull look, he could be back in League 1 next season. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not stick with 4-3-3 against Charlton? 

How did Maddison do? Would you sign him in the summer?

Yes quite right, I'd base my assessment of Maddison on this one game and not sign him.

I'd prefer a video collage of his best moments. Then I'd offer £7M.

Those weren’t boo’s aimed at Maddison, it was Tattooooooooooo - just letting him know why we didn’t sign him 

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Totally don’t recall those as close or real chances. Armstrong off the line? 

‘Off the line’ may have been a slight exaggeration, but certainly blocked inside the 6-yard box with the keeper looking beat. 

Here’s how both teams reported it on Twitter (Hull seem to have got confused between Armstrong & Bennett)

50EF0C86-0FB9-48CB-AC4B-A637D03E2F77.png

9FB1A928-0688-4496-B5CB-32623DEC2597.png

22 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

did we deserve it - yes.

Think you’ll find they drew away last Sat, here’s another stat for you.

007E5E2A-EA52-4312-A269-17C1A12A1A0C.jpeg

Just now, unsall said:

Think you’ll find they drew away last Sat, here’s another stat for you.

007E5E2A-EA52-4312-A269-17C1A12A1A0C.jpeg

Progress! 

Embarrassing performance for 73 minutes against what was the worst side I’ve ever seen at Ewood.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Truly awful. Didn't look interested. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Truly awful. Didn't look interested. 

With the interest in him we were lead to believe there was from some on here it's interesting that he has ended up at Hull. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maddison didnt really do much in a shocking Hull side but yeah I certainly would. He would have easily got into our side still looking at his track record, Bennett offered nothing from a natural wide role yesterday and really needs moving on. I am sure we will revert back to 4231 next season with Holtby and then Dack back, and he can easily slot into a wide role far more naturally than the usual suspects that play there, and also play as a 10.

Based on what for this potential signing? Doesn't look interested at Hull and if he after what wages wise he wont be here. 

I would be looking for right winger in the summer. Deffo not Maddison tho. 

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

think going forward for us 4-3-3 means that we have to play Armstrong wide because we only have him, Rothwell and maybe Chapman that can do that role. I don't want to see Gallagher shunted back there when he returns, which he will, nor Brereton and Samuel regularly in the wide positions. I thought that Brereton last night was more involved overall, but obviously Samuel got his goal but I dont think I would want him wide right from the start of a game.

Well Armstrong didn't stay wide yesterday when we went 4-3-3 last night. Let him move around the pitch. 

57 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

"Easily" get into our side due to his "track record" steady on man. We aren't talking about Messi here. A better than average 26 year old league 1 player who has ended up at a dreadful Hull side. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Pretty poor last night.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

"Easily" get into our side due to his "track record" steady on man. We aren't talking about Messi here. A better than average 26 year old league 1 player who has ended up at a dreadful Hull side. 

He would shine in a better side than hull , be that side us ? I’m not sure however if we signed him it would be delightful 

On the Hull forums where it is pretty depressing as you might imagine, they are saying that he was their only shining light. Must have been difficult to come into a team that has just as many injuries as us but has also sold their two best players. Their back line was essentially academy players.

2 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

I don’t understand how my name is on a post I didn’t make!? Can any site moderator please explain? *** Random text I have added on ***

Someone can quote you and then change the text within the quote. See the text added above.

Therefore someone could quote you, and then paste somebody else post into the quote box. Not sure why anyone would do that though.

Edited by Hasta

Just now, JacknOry said:

On the Hull forums where it is pretty depressing as you might imagine, they are saying that he was their only shining light. Must have been difficult to come into a team that has just as many injuries as us but has also sold their two best players. Their back line was essentially academy players.

And we think we had a bad window. It does put perspective on it. They have basically written their season off. Could get dragged into relegation very easily. I can see Stoke rising and Wigan showing some fight. 

I wonder what use MM would be in a relegation scrap.