BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

When you keep up with someone, you are not faster than them. If you think Dolan is fast so-be-it. By the way Szmodics isn't fast either.

So now Szmodics lacks pace along with Dolan.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

as GB said in his interview that there is a contract offer on the table for Dolan to re-sign here. Dolan has been waiting to see what division we would be in before committed his future here but I expect he will re-sign here

I know what has been said, my point is he knew very well what division we would be in last July when the talks started. He may well sign, I hope he does but it has taken a very long time.

2 minutes ago, cesus said:

I know what has been said, my point is he knew very well what division we would be in last July when the talks started. He may well sign, I hope he does but it has taken a very long time.

Yes fair point there. Maybe he had doubts after we signed Sigurdsson whether he would play much this season. Reason for the delay maybe

1 hour ago, cesus said:

I've just read an article from mid July 2023 saying we are well into negotiations with Dolan. These are some long old negotiations! Can't help but think, we are getting a year extension then he walks for free.

The new Junior Hoilett.

"He'll sign any day now"

• Like 5

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

How when he kept up with the Leeds defenders and Szmodics.

He actually got hawked down by #44, Gruev (a DM) on that break - he literally caught up to Dolan and overtook him.

Dolan is many things, but he's not fast. He's quick over a few yards and has a low centre of gravity, but he very, very rarely wins an extended sprint. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I have read several times about his lack of pace but I don't see that. His decision making at times is questionable but yesterday he was a real team player and disciplined in pretty much everything he did.

He’s quick over 10 yards but over say 40 yards he’s average pace wise. We haven’t got any real flyers in the team. The sort of players who can just run away from defenders with the ball at their feet.

Regarding decision making - he has a tendency to over elaborate, usually when he’s trying to buy time in possession so the other strikers can get forward in attack. He just needs to keep it simple and go for it.

I like the lad, he plays with a smile on his face. I’d be disappointed if he leaves. We’d miss his enthusiasm.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The new Junior Hoilett.

"He'll sign any day now"

Thanks. I was trying to remember which player it was that walked away that was always "just going to sign". Lucas Neil gets a lot of shit but at least we knew 18 months in advance what the crack was there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He actually got hawked down by #44, Gruev (a DM) on that break - he literally caught up to Dolan and overtook him.

Dolan is many things, but he's not fast. He's quick over a few yards and has a low centre of gravity, but he very, very rarely wins an extended sprint. 

He over took Dolan because he dragged him back off the ball.

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s quick over 10 yards but over say 40 yards he’s average pace wise. We haven’t got any real flyers in the team. The sort of players who can just run away from defenders with the ball at their feet.

Regarding decision making - he has a tendency to over elaborate, usually when he’s trying to buy time in possession so the other strikers can get forward in attack. He just needs to keep it simple and go for it.

I like the lad, he plays with a smile on his face. I’d be disappointed if he leaves. We’d miss his enthusiasm.

I would say that speed off the mark is one of the most important assets of a striker. I agree about his decision making and that is a frustrating aspect of his game. In a high press he is our most important player.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I would say that speed off the mark is one of the most important assets of a striker. I agree about his decision making and that is a frustrating aspect of his game. In a high press he is our most important player.

I agree. If you’re playing in an around the box being rapid over 10 yards is vital. I would argue Dolan is quick over short distances and I’m happy with that. I’d be doing my utmost to sign him. If he goes elsewhere we’ll regret it.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

As with any player, we'd only regret Dolan leaving if we don't replace him with better.

Therein lies our problem, though. We wouldn't.

Signing players is always a gamble. You’d have thought Sigurdsson would have been a better bet than Dolan going off his reputation but it hasn’t turned out that way. Better the players you know can actually perform.

• Like 1