Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
roversfan99

Punditry

Recommended Posts

Obviously it is the League cup, but was unsure where to put this.

But Sky Sports couldnt have seemingly chosen 2 less educated and less informed pundits in regards to a Championship club in Brentford and a recently promoted Premier League club in Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson.

Considering the amount that they charge (I think I have a good deal getting the sports package on Now TV for £25) the regularity in which the pundits fundamentally do not know what they are talking about is crazy.

The pre match coverage consisted of Merson dismissing Benrahmas value "because you can get Barkley on loan instead and Benrahma didnt even show up at Wembley" and then the pair trying to figure out exactly what Antonee Robinson was in terms of a left back based on a brief montage having clearly never seen him prior.

Sky seem to have had a cull this summer but I am not sure how Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson survived it, and indeed what the likes of Akinfenwa who has been on Championship duty despite not knowing various fairly well known names is beyond me.

What do people think about the standard of punditry in general? Roy Keane is a bit of a guilty pleasure in spite of his presence purely to cause friction, and its difficult not to like Souness and Shearer. In general, the actual knowledge behind it seems to be on the wane.

Hargreaves is decent on BT sports, refreshing to have what used to be a standard ie a bit of actual knowledge, and they do have more expert analysis albeit usually of other European leagues, although the commentary of Steve McManaman is as aggravating as Jamie Redknapps punditry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bit of a different issue, but what riles me is when you are watching/listening to a sport bulletin on the news/5 Live etc and the presenter, a ‘specialised’ sports presenter at that, can’t even pronounce fairly high profile sport stars/clubs.

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Obviously it is the League cup, but was unsure where to put this.

But Sky Sports couldnt have seemingly chosen 2 less educated and less informed pundits in regards to a Championship club in Brentford and a recently promoted Premier League club in Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson.

Considering the amount that they charge (I think I have a good deal getting the sports package on Now TV for £25) the regularity in which the pundits fundamentally do not know what they are talking about is crazy.

The pre match coverage consisted of Merson dismissing Benrahmas value "because you can get Barkley on loan instead and Benrahma didnt even show up at Wembley" and then the pair trying to figure out exactly what Antonee Robinson was in terms of a left back based on a brief montage having clearly never seen him prior.

Sky seem to have had a cull this summer but I am not sure how Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson survived it, and indeed what the likes of Akinfenwa who has been on Championship duty despite not knowing various fairly well known names is beyond me.

What do people think about the standard of punditry in general? Roy Keane is a bit of a guilty pleasure in spite of his presence purely to cause friction, and its difficult not to like Souness and Shearer. In general, the actual knowledge behind it seems to be on the wane.

Hargreaves is decent on BT sports, refreshing to have what used to be a standard ie a bit of actual knowledge, and they do have more expert analysis albeit usually of other European leagues, although the commentary of Steve McManaman is as aggravating as Jamie Redknapps punditry.

I agree Redknapp and Merson are both absolutely dreadful. But they'll be there because it's Liverpool v Arsenal after this game. Not that I expect either of them to add anything of value to that match either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After being somewhat spoiled by Gary Neville for a few years, I find it difficult to watch many pundits now.

I like Souness, and always enjoyed Salgado on Revista de La Liga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Obviously it is the League cup, but was unsure where to put this.

But Sky Sports couldnt have seemingly chosen 2 less educated and less informed pundits in regards to a Championship club in Brentford and a recently promoted Premier League club in Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson.

Considering the amount that they charge (I think I have a good deal getting the sports package on Now TV for £25) the regularity in which the pundits fundamentally do not know what they are talking about is crazy.

The pre match coverage consisted of Merson dismissing Benrahmas value "because you can get Barkley on loan instead and Benrahma didnt even show up at Wembley" and then the pair trying to figure out exactly what Antonee Robinson was in terms of a left back based on a brief montage having clearly never seen him prior.

Sky seem to have had a cull this summer but I am not sure how Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson survived it, and indeed what the likes of Akinfenwa who has been on Championship duty despite not knowing various fairly well known names is beyond me.

What do people think about the standard of punditry in general? Roy Keane is a bit of a guilty pleasure in spite of his presence purely to cause friction, and its difficult not to like Souness and Shearer. In general, the actual knowledge behind it seems to be on the wane.

Hargreaves is decent on BT sports, refreshing to have what used to be a standard ie a bit of actual knowledge, and they do have more expert analysis albeit usually of other European leagues, although the commentary of Steve McManaman is as aggravating as Jamie Redknapps punditry.

Agree on Keane and Souness. Hard to stomach the former, but I like that he says what he thinks - even if it isn't the favoured opinion or one that I particularly agree with. 

 

Of the newer generation. I think he gets a lot of stick, but Neville is relatively neutral. And I do think Carragher does a good job of breaking down some teams tactics. During or after the game. 

BT sport should cull everyone and start again. I actively turn off anytime I hear Mcmanaman, Owen or Hoddle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roy Keane is probably my favourite, but Carragher and Neville do a good job on Sky Sports and do bounce off each other well. Shearer and Sutton I like as well - Sutton upsets a few but give me that any day over someone like Jermaine Jenas.

In terms of commentators, Steve McManaman is abysmal. It was painful having to listen to him night after night watching the latter stages of the Champions League on BT Sport the other month. He had absolutely zero knowledge of any European teams and was just giving it your old ‘English team good, foreign team bad’ - quite surprising given he played abroad. Although it was hilarious hearing him almost in tears when Lyon dumped City out. 

BT do employ some excellent presenters/pundits with a high level of knowledge of European football - James Richardson and James Horncastle in particular. Should get them involved in the main CL coverage instead of only The Goals Show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Obviously it is the League cup, but was unsure where to put this.

But Sky Sports couldnt have seemingly chosen 2 less educated and less informed pundits in regards to a Championship club in Brentford and a recently promoted Premier League club in Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson.

Considering the amount that they charge (I think I have a good deal getting the sports package on Now TV for £25) the regularity in which the pundits fundamentally do not know what they are talking about is crazy.

The pre match coverage consisted of Merson dismissing Benrahmas value "because you can get Barkley on loan instead and Benrahma didnt even show up at Wembley" and then the pair trying to figure out exactly what Antonee Robinson was in terms of a left back based on a brief montage having clearly never seen him prior.

Sky seem to have had a cull this summer but I am not sure how Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson survived it, and indeed what the likes of Akinfenwa who has been on Championship duty despite not knowing various fairly well known names is beyond me.

What do people think about the standard of punditry in general? Roy Keane is a bit of a guilty pleasure in spite of his presence purely to cause friction, and its difficult not to like Souness and Shearer. In general, the actual knowledge behind it seems to be on the wane.

Hargreaves is decent on BT sports, refreshing to have what used to be a standard ie a bit of actual knowledge, and they do have more expert analysis albeit usually of other European leagues, although the commentary of Steve McManaman is as aggravating as Jamie Redknapps punditry.

Neville, Souness and Carragher are the best 3 pundits in the English Football coverage. So good listening to them game after game. 

Liam Rosenior is good pundit when he was doing the TV work. 

Don't mind Redknapp and Merson at all, Tho I am not watching the Brentford vs Fulham coverage. 

Michael Owen and Steve McManaman commentary is a biggest joke going. I wouldn't listen to any game they are commenting on.  

I only pay £21 pounds for Sky Sports as part of my Sky Package I have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would never get to the stage whereby I wouldnt watch a game based on the commentary. 

Neville and Carragher together are good.

Redknapp is very irritating, just blows smoke up peoples arses, especially his cousins and his dads, and ultimately knows very little. With Merson,, the village idiot routine wears thin after a bit, he cant say most players names.

Rosenior is not too bad to be fair. Don Goodman is a decent co-commentator too.

Edited by roversfan99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#13 “Whichever team scores more goals usually wins.”

Except if you are Blackburn Rovers with Shane Duffy playing centre back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't hear him too many times, but our own Brad Friedel was an astonishingly good radio co-commentator. Proper analysis and real expert insights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the Derby game on Bein Sports and the commentator said that Dolan reminded him of Robbie Savage. I mean...what? 

Then how many times on iFollow to commentators get players names wrong/mixed up? ben Brereton was called Danny Graham not long ago despite us releasing the former.

I did enjoy the 4th goal against Sheff Wed last season when Lenihan scored though when the commentator said something like "and its been put in by...dont know who he is but dont really care to be honest".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing excuses a lack of research or knowledge, its crazy when the paid commentator or pundit doesnt know something and I do for example. I do appreciate the need for ex players and personalities to be involved in punditry and they do provide things that non footballers cant but they should have a degree of knowledge and intelligence. Merson and Redknapp fall below that and rely on cliches and stereotypes.

What do people think of our ifollow commentators? They are ok but they are overbearingly biased towards us.

Bit of a tangent but I do like football podcasts. Big fan of undr the cosh with Jon Parkin and our former hero Chris Brown. Get a great insight into the nitty gritty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nothing excuses a lack of research or knowledge, its crazy when the paid commentator or pundit doesnt know something and I do for example. I do appreciate the need for ex players and personalities to be involved in punditry and they do provide things that non footballers cant but they should have a degree of knowledge and intelligence. Merson and Redknapp fall below that and rely on cliches and stereotypes.

What do people think of our ifollow commentators? They are ok but they are overbearingly biased towards us.

Bit of a tangent but I do like football podcasts. Big fan of undr the cosh with Jon Parkin and our former hero Chris Brown. Get a great insight into the nitty gritty.

Honestly no more so than other iFollow commentators. The Luton ones at the end of last season were, quite frankly, a joke. 

You have to accept that you're essentially listening to club mouth pieces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Honestly no more so than other iFollow commentators. The Luton ones at the end of last season were, quite frankly, a joke. 

You have to accept that you're essentially listening to club mouth pieces. 

Very true. Every game if they were in charge we would have 20 penalties! As good as that would be of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I watched the Derby game on Bein Sports and the commentator said that Dolan reminded him of Robbie Savage. I mean...what? 

He didn't... he said that Kevin Gallacher had likened him to Robbie Savage, i agree with you though, WHAT?! ...link below

 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18699278.blackburn-rovers-great-predicts-big-things-tyrhys-dolan/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of them talk a load of tosh but at least Neville, Keane, Souness, Ian Wright, and now even Micah Richards can be entertaining.

Roy Keane is exceptional value in particular, cracks me up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

I didn't hear him too many times, but our own Brad Friedel was an astonishingly good radio co-commentator. Proper analysis and real expert insights.

...and a voice like rock royalty...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try not to listen to the pundits in the studio as on most occasions they just state the obvious. Somebody still involved in the game said to me that Souness and Keane very rarely talk about technical aspects of the game because that's an area where they struggle. Neville is decent in co commentary and usually says it as it is. Redknapp and Carragher offer nothing in my view. I wonder what the collective cost is to Sky, BT and the BBC for all this expert punditry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Bit of a tangent but I do like football podcasts. Big fan of undr the cosh with Jon Parkin and our former hero Chris Brown. Get a great insight into the nitty gritty.

I've listened to a few of those after it was posted on here. I like it too. 

Over here in the USA I get the two Robbie's. Mustoe and Earl. They dumb it down a bit for the US audience but aren't awful. Tim Howard is a new edition this season.

Champs League has moved channels to CBS half way through last season's campaign. They had to act in a hurry but signed up Carragher, Micah Richards, and a few others. I don't know if they will be back this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

I've listened to a few of those after it was posted on here. I like it too. 

Over here in the USA I get the two Robbie's. Mustoe and Earl. They dumb it down a bit for the US audience but aren't awful. Tim Howard is a new edition this season.

Champs League has moved channels to CBS half way through last season's campaign. They had to act in a hurry but signed up Carragher, Micah Richards, and a few others. I don't know if they will be back this season.

They are really good, they arent the most informative but just full of cracking stories from players mainly not at the very top.

I enjoy Football Ramble podcasts too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Atkins is a brilliant co-commentator on Radio Lancs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kudos to Micah Richards and his agent. Gone from nowhere to everywhere in about 12 months...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are generally two sorts of pundits I am fond of - people like Roy Keane who just say whatever takes their fancy, without worrying about old loyalties or who their friends are. Savage and Sutton are broadly the same on their radio stuff for 606, Savage especially, with callers talking rubbish. Not the height of debate but great entertainment.

The others are people like Micah Richards, Ian Wright, and on commentary, Ally McCoist - no ego or agenda, just downright enthusiasm.

Dinosaurs like Paul Merson and whatever Jamie Redknapp is are awful. Often times I enjoy what journalists have to say more than ex-players - their grasp of language and communication, especially if it's off the field stuff, more than makes up for their lack of 'been there, done that'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.