BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Craig Bellamy

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind being accused of harbouring no ambition for the club I support, but I would rather Rovers were relegated, then buy Bellamy for 6 million. Not because it's Bellamy (although I do have a loathing), but because it's 6 million pounds (+ saving on wages) we would need if we were relegated (a scenario that could happen anyway, need I remind everyone).

Rovers have just spent 3 million pounds on Savage, plus a bit here and there on other signings. A bargain buy for a striker, and that's enough.

Though I rate Bellamy - and would readily have him on loan - I don't think he represents good value for £6m + the huge wages that are being quoted.

However - what better way of showing that we mean business (and as someone has already pointed, maybe bring a few fans back) than taking Bellamy from under the noses of Brum. And lets not forget - he has long been a first team player at that NE "giant" that never wins anything biggrin.gif

I would love it if Bellamy signed. But where would we get the money from?

Rangers in theory (if they come up with enough to lubricate the move)..... but Newcastle in reality! Kinda strange world of business innit?

Seems obvious that Bellamy is not really overjoyed at working with Steve Bruce at Birmingham and that he and his agent are using that as a backstop bid should Rangers cheque fail to meet expectations and BRFC not come up with the wherewithall. **

Its not football this............ its poker! And whilst we dont hold all the aces we sure have a very strong hand! rover.gif

** If this comes off Brum fans will be apoplectic with rage, Sullivan will fall out of his high chair and the legions of powerful enemies that Steve Bruce has amassed will get their revenge! (I shouldn't be surprised if Dave Whelan doesn't provide BRFC some financial / moral support cos he frickin hates Bruce)

Well that wont happen because its illegal to invest money into 2 clubs.

Funny thing rules, there are always ways around. Just look at all the money Souness has made for Rangers in the past couple of years, whilst supposedly working for the benefit of other clubs.

If this goes through its the most ambitious signing in years and the board should be applauded for finding the funds.

Also how good would it be to shove another one up Birmingham biggrin.gif

Could be the difference between relegation and staying up.

I would still like bellamy to go to birmingham but only if he wants to but if the welsh connection pops up again and he joins you then so be it

cant understand why you want bellamy as you already have a nutcase upfront and playing bellamy alongside dickov will mean a front line of under 5ft 8 and lets not forget they get booked alot

Bowen was sacked cos he asked for a new contract without consulting bruce about it and went straight to karen brady and demanded one, Karen brady didnt appreciate it and rang up steve bruce on holiday and they both agreed that he should have his contract paid up and he should leave

there was issues concerning bowen not being allowed to coach wales on a part time basis which in my book ws right as we were struggling for survivial in the prem

Edited by Izzitnot

I want him here. I am impressed with the way hes refused to take ###### from souness, and stuck two fingers up at those that think he should stay somewhere he doesnt like the management. Hes also a top player, and would give something to the team that it needs.

One thing to refuse to take &*$# from Souness. Another thing to feign injury and let your teammates down.

Complete and utter idiot.

Ages ago I posted that I would never applaud Craig Bellamy if he played for Rovers, no matter how many goals he scored. In the main this was because I don't think much of him as a person, but in truth it was always something of a hollow threat, given that I didn't think we would ever again have the chance to sign a player of his calibre. How fickle is the football fan! If we were to sign Bellamy it would, in my opinion, represent the single most important purchase for this club since Shearer. I can't believe some of the people saying "well he's a good player and all that, but...". Bellamy is absolutely the best striker we could realistically hope to sign, and at any other time we wouldn't have a hope of landing him.

A lucky confluence of circumstances have given Rovers this chance; Newcastle are desperate to get rid before the transfer window closes, Blackburn have a little more money than we thought we would have at this stage of the season, and Bellamy's relationship with Hughes makes us a more attractive destination than we otherwise might have been. Of course Bellamy isn't perfect, but he is significantly better than anyone we have at the club currently, and Hughes has as good a chance of bringing him to heel as anyone. If nothing else, I would relish the irony of benefiting from a Souness vs. player bust up for once.

Edited by Morph

I'm still not confident - even if we do raise the 6million needed, can we really stump up the 40k wages reported? I guess this will show just how big a factor money plays for Bellamy.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we got Bellamy - he and Stead upfront would be a perfect combination and Bellamy has the strength, pace and ability to score goals that we have been lacking all season. He isn't the sort of player to lack confidence and from what I've heard so far this season, he has played very well up front.

Make it happen Rovers, if Hughes and the board pull this off, they will certainly see more bums on seats.

I want him here. I am impressed with the way hes refused to take ###### from souness, and stuck two fingers up at those that think he should stay somewhere he doesnt like the management. Hes also a top player, and would give something to the team that it needs.

One thing to refuse to take &*$# from Souness. Another thing to feign injury and let your teammates down.

Complete and utter idiot.

I would not say that is worse than denying to be a sub, like Todd did last season. That also let his teammates and the team down.

Now, this season, he's vital for us, and many want him as captain.

And let's not forget, both incidents happened under Souness.

Sparky turned Souness reject Todd from villain to hero. Who's to say that can't happen to Bellamy as well?

Just read the Shepard/Robson article - what a nasty man Shephard is and his criticisms of Robson are obvious rubbish and scapegoating.

I laughed out loud at the bit saying that Souness had Bellamy by the throat; I know that guy left us in a horrible position, sold or fell out with all our best players and joined a better club but its reasons like this that I still love the guy.

I'm still not confident - even if we do raise the 6million needed, can we really stump up the 40k wages reported? I guess this will show just how big a factor money plays for Bellamy.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we got Bellamy - he and Stead upfront would be a perfect combination and Bellamy has the strength, pace and ability to score goals that we have been lacking all season. He isn't the sort of player to lack confidence and from what I've heard so far this season, he has played very well up front.

Make it happen Rovers, if Hughes and the board pull this off, they will certainly see more bums on seats.

Think of what our striker wage bill included until the start of the season...

Cole around £45k

Yorke around £30k

Dickov won't be on anywhere near those types of figures, neither will Bothroyd (who is unlikely to join if we get Bellamy). Stead & Gally remain constant in the equation. Jansen's reported £25k will probably drop off at the end of the season.

Therefore, if we look to a 5 man strike force of Bellamy + Dickov + Stead + Gally + J.Johnson; this is probably in the region of £30k a week less than the quintet of Cole + Yorke + Jansen + Gally + Stead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.