BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton 0 V Rovers 1

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our team looks like it will be depleted for Sunday, with Dickov, Savage and Emerton struggling. While Bothroyd is definately out. At least Todd is back for this one. I can see us lining up with:

Friedal

Neill Todd Nelsen Johansson

Reid Flitcroft Tugay Pedersen

Stead Gallagher

Subs:Enckleman, Mokoena, Thompson, Johnson, Jansen

Bothroyd's never been in. With a real chance of Champions league football for the toffees, their heads will be up, combine that with playing at Goodison and Rovers relying on one lad who scores occasionally, we will get stuffed.

2 - 0 Everton. sad.gif

I love when people expect us to lose to teams outside the biguns, because we usually at least get a point. 2-0 to us, people to say we are going to make Europe on Sunday evening.

Matteo seems to have a lengthy lay-off as well and with Gresko out until next season, perhaps Gray will be recalled from Leeds if anything happens to Nissa. Certainly Jay McEveley doesn't seem anywhere near the first team at present.

I talked to Jay in a club in liverpool on a tuesday with the first dingle game a week and four days away (if my maths is correct) he said he had a problem with his ankle and wasn't really sure what it was/when he would be right. He appeared for the reserves for the first time in midweek though so I would expect him to return to the bench in a week or so.

Logic tells me to go with waggy here. But with the results at Soton and Palace yesterday and viewing our our next few fixtures this match needs to be viewed as one where we could possibly get something from. We all know that despite their lofty position that Everton only have average players who play to a system and who are prepared to sweat blood for the team and their team mates every week. Given the chance nobody in the top half of the table would covet any of their players (poss Cahill) but rather their manager......... and I expect him to only be on the bench again today rover.gif .

With the right tactics and the entire team prepared to match Everton for effort, all our injured players available and whoever plays midfield / forward with Dickov having a stormer we need to view this match as a chance to get closer to the safety target. Everton are cock-a-hoop at the moment and hopefully might just be a little complacent.

Personally I would favour starting with a 5 man midfield with Pederson playing support to Dickov and Reid coming in for the ineffectual Gallagher to play on the left and another playing deep to nullify the runs of Cahill. With the defence set up to cope with Bents pacy running style. I do suspect that Hughes will maybe have a job for Stead today though.

Edited by thenodrog

Every point we pick up now is vitally important.

Palace and Southampton both got very good results yesterday and if we lose a few, they pick up points we're back in it again.

I think a draw today would be a good result so I'm going for

Everton 1 - 1 Rovers

Cahill and Todd to score.

Everton to win 1--0 me thinks, hope I'm wrong though.

As for the team, if rumoured injuries are true I'd go with the following:

Friedel

Emerton Reid Flitcroft Pedersen

Stead Gallagher

However...I think Hughes will favour a 4-5-1, especially with us likely to have 3 fit strikers...so probably something like:

Friedel

Emerton Flitcroft Mokoena Tugay Pedersen

Gallagher

A win today will see us leapfrog Portsmouth and Fulham. What makes it even better is that we'd still have a game in hand against Pompey as well as all the clubs below us atm apart from WBA. Which means that even if both Palace and Southampton surge up the table we can still make it. Obviously we really don't want that to happen, but we could manage.

1-1 draw today btw.

Team announced:

Friedel

Neill

Todd

Nelsen

Nissa

Reid

Flitty

Mokoena

Thomo

Dickov

Pedersen

Interesting. Lets see how we play without Emerton....

Losing Savage is a real blow and it has just occoured to me tat the midfield four is completely different from the one that has played our last fourgames and so. Not a man left.

Well Moko and Flitty should rough them up a bit, lets hope Thommo and Reid can do something with the ball.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.