BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

If £20 is your limit I presume you don't go to many away games?

Not anymore Blakey - used to go to a majority each season.

Went to Portsmouth the opening game (first time been seeing as how many times we have played them) and Everton away in the cup (£20 ticket).

Last Season Wigan and Citeh.

If I didn't have my season ticket - I wouldn't pay it at Ewood either.

Mostly down to principle but some because I simply cannot afford it anymore ie I am now married and have a little boy and don't have the funds to justify spending it on Football.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im with the good capt'n here. Although my limit is slightly higher than that (except for special occasions - like the latter round of a cup competition for example).

My limit is £30 unless it is a special game (1st game at Emriates for example) so will not be going to OT this time. They can shove their £36, funny how they were complaining that we charged them that as a cat A+ game. Im bloody glad now!

Im with the good capt'n here. Although my limit is slightly higher than that (except for special occasions - like the latter round of a cup competition for example).

Crikey stu if you had taken some extra 10 grand pa job you could be going to Villa Park sipping champagne in a private helicopter!

Off the top of my head I think they were £34 but they may have been even less they certainly weren't £36. Rumour has it they will be £40 next year as well. Supply and demand I suppose but can't see many Rovers going at those prices.

crazy money £40 to go and watch a football match, it's getting silly now, no wonder fans are staying away

But they get almost 70K on old trafford every home game.

Crikey stu if you had taken some extra 10 grand pa job you could be going to Villa Park sipping champagne in a private helicopter!

Its nothing to do with whether I can afford it Gord, I did it until two years ago. Then something clicked, when Rovers are playing away I either tune in on the wireless, or make a visit to one of a few local non league teams. Bamber Bridge, FC United, Darwen this season. Or sometimes I even do both.

Must say I go to very few away games now cos of our resident plonkers. But conversely I've made a point of going to some of the UEFA matches and I've got to say our European adventures have been absolutely fantastic this year and I wouldn't have missed them for the world.

It cost a fair bit but so what? Life is for living.

• 5 months later...

4 home games in 15 days coming up.

Sep 23: Pompey (PL)

Sep 26: Brum (LC)

Oct 04: Larissa (UEFA)

Oct 07: Brum (PL)

Tough on the pockets so I'm expecting Rovers to stick with the previous UEFA pricing for the Larissa game. Not sure about the League Cup pricing but expecting a mediocre gate for that one. The two PL games should each produce about 19,500 Rovers fans - add to that the visitors.

:brfc:

Edited by MCMC1875

4 home games in 15 days coming up.

Sep 23: Pompey (PL)

Sep 26: Brum (LC)

Oct 04: Larissa (UEFA)

Oct 07: Brum (PL)

Tough on the pockets so I'm expecting Rovers to stick with the previous UEFA pricing for the Larissa game. Not sure about the League Cup pricing but expecting a mediocre gate for that one. The two PL games should each produce about 19,500 Rovers fans - add to that the visitors.

:brfc:

Home crowds have been significantly up on last season to date but the Pompey game will be a real guage of our increase in support what with an expected minimal following from Pompey.

I wonder if one reason for the general decline in some clubs attendances is the death of the Saturday 3pm. kickoff? On the 3rd of October there will be only ONE game in the Premiership kicking off at 3pm; Jeff Stelling and his gang will have to do a bit of work that day to keep interest up.Seven games will be played on the Sunday including our game v. Brum.

I wonder if one reason for the general decline in some clubs attendances is the death of the Saturday 3pm. kickoff?

I rather aggresively challenged one bloke who cited that as a reason for not renewing his ST this year. It turned out after a bit of interrogation that it was not the main reason at all but simply an excuse. The guy and his Dad after many years of support have simply altered their priorities but that didn't stop em using the Sat 3.00pm jobby as a convenient get-out. Tell the truth and shame the Devil was my advice at the time.

Speaking personally I much prefer the 5.15 slot to any but desperately hate the midday ones.

Edited by thenodrog

I rather aggresively challenged one bloke who cited that as a reason for not renewing his ST this year. It turned out after a bit of interrogation that it was not the main reason at all but simply an excuse. The guy and his Dad after many years of support have simply altered their priorities but that didn't stop em using the Sat 3.00pm jobby as a convenient get-out. Tell the truth and shame the Devil was my advice at the time.

Speaking personally I much prefer the 5.15 slot to any but desperately hate the midday ones.

I prefer the 5.15 also. It is a great opportunity to get an extra 5 or 6 pints in before the game and then upset the rest of the old boys on my row in the JW when I get in just on kick-off and then need to get up for the odd jimmie or two.

I prefer the 5.15 also. It is a great opportunity to get an extra 5 or 6 pints in before the game and then upset the rest of the old boys on my row in the JW when I get in just on kick-off and then need to get up for the odd jimmie or two.

Of course it's all subjective: I for one can't stand the 5:15 kick-offs. I don't get home til gone 9, so each KO is another missed Saturday night on the razz.

Agreed. 5.15pm is great if you're a home supporter not so good if you come from Southampton

Of course it's all subjective: I for one can't stand the 5:15 kick-offs. I don't get home til gone 9, so each KO is another missed Saturday night on the razz.

Why, what time do the Pubs close in Brum? :huh:

Being local I also like the 5.15 kick offs. It gives you all day do to any family type stuff you have to do and then 7.30 is a great time to hit the Pub for Saturday night out afterwards!

Being local I also like the 5.15 kick offs. It gives you all day do to any family type stuff you have to do and then 7.30 is a great time to hit the Pub for Saturday night out afterwards!

I believe it's referred to around here as a 'through train' Simon. :tu: In essence it turnes a weekend into 2 Friday nights. :tu:

In general I like the 5.15 kick-offs as well, but it will create a problem for the Liverpool match in November when I'm due to be at a dinner in Sheffield at 7.30!

In my area, it's often when the last punter leaves :rover: It's just hard to get out straight after a 2 hour (if I'm lucky) drive. At least a 3pm start gives me a bit of fett-up time.

Still little sense my moaning about it when the Sky (and Sultana) money is worth more to the club than a few out-o-town STHs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.