BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0-2 Everton

The referee didn't help but Everton had already taken the lead. There's no guarantee Rovers would have come back if they still had 11 men. The missed chances show that the main priority has to be a new striker in January though of course the club will need funds to do that...I'm not banking on any being available.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, a leaky defence and an inability to score goals = lost matches.

Very odd phenomenon.

"Playing well" + losing >> declining confidence >> lack of ambition >> poor form >> more defeats = relegation.

Seen it many times dear boy.

364958[/snapback]

More like playing away against a World Class team who we have no right of getting anything from, and then playing against a team who finished 4th with 10 men for over an hour

One of my main arguments against the use of technology other than for goal line issues is that it is simply not that clear cut. Take yesterday's incident for a prime example. I firmly believe that it was an incorrect decision and Match of the Day argued that it was wrong as well. However Kamara and his sidekick argued this morning it was justified and in his own imitable way he proved it by showing the same camera angle as last night as if it was an exclusive.

How would a video clear it up if there is still no agreement nearly 24 hours later?

Agree with DanLad completely and the way the match went has completely ruined my weekend.The whole day started with the crap Cup draw and ended at 3.30pm.

I want to see halsey relegated...where was young mark Clattenberg?He was in the prog as ref and he's good.The handball and last man professional foul was not brought in for tame technical fouls like yesterday and we were goners from the moment the daft lino intervened.

Are we appealing?

Might of if it was a piano or a fridge

364969[/snapback]

Wish somebody had have done though - we wasn't even in line with Todd

Didn't need to see anything yesterday - as soon as we knew Halsey the tw?T was reffing we should have known the outcome

Another totally inept waste of space.

Anyway questions need to be asked about or finishing as this game should have been over well before Halsey and his crew stepped in -personally I feel its time for Pedersen to feel the cold of the bench as he is living on the goals from the Utd game.

Thats well over the top.  Were you there?

364957[/snapback]

No. Though as Jim says our playing well means nothing if we can't score, something we have failed to do in three games now. We allowed a faltering Everton side to come to our ground and take three points. Yes Todd's dismissal was unfair but once again, our lack of a real cutting edge compounds our circumstances.

We should all know by now there are different laws for different teams. I can bet top dollar if Todd's exact same incident had happened with Ferdinand or Terry or Campbell etc at home Mr Halsey would have been flapping play on.

After his last debacle with us I watched him ref a game the following week, it was like two different refs.

rover.gif tbh we should have been 2 up,before everton had a shot.the 1st 20 mins we were superb,but a moments hestitation in defence led to everton's first goal.the todd sending off was warranted imo and he let us down big time.apart from the big 3 i cannot see any premiership team turning the game round with 10 men.from the 30 minute it was damage limitation,but we still made the odd chance. tinykit.gif

364934[/snapback]

Hesitation by who waggy?

at 0-1 and 11 men still on the park for us, i was quite confident that we could get back into the game, but a non-sensicle sending off and to compound that conceding another goal afterwards made it extremely difficult for us. not neccasarily mark halsey but more so a REF has again come up with a desicion that has ultimately had an effect on the game....a decision that was wrong!

We lost the game because we were crap, yes we should have scored 3 or 4 and why didnt we, because our players were not good enough to take their chances, their players were.

Everybody is blaming Halsey but it was the lino who told him it was handball and told him to send him off, once he was told this could Halsey have said no? Of course not. It wasnlt Halsey's fault we got beat it was Hughes' and the players, they wern't good enough.

We lost- because we were down to 10 men, simple.

Bloody hell, we lost 1 game. We aint Chelsea, I'd have thought we'd all be use to losing by now. I mean, we've pobably lost more than we have won in the last 10 years.

And for people to say that we are suddenly a crap team because we lost a game, really makes me mad. So we failed to take our chances? big deal! Against Charlton in the league, we had 4 chances and scored 4 goals yet after that we are a fantastic side aiming for Europe. West Ham next and for people to say if we lose that we'll be in relegation trouble is totall ######!! I mean, we lost 3-0 at home to Newcastle one day, then 6 days later we beat Man Yoo 2-1 away!!

get real people.

Edited by greggyk

10 v 11 is difficult enough without passengers and imo Sav and Kuqi should have come out for the second half in place of the bland Bentley and Tugay / Pederson.  Whatever anybodies opinion of those first two's abilities the fact is that they both do the work of two players.  Also Bentley and Ped are most definitely not inspirational 'scrappers' are they?

364944[/snapback]

Disagree slightly . Thompson had to come off , he was absolutely hopeless yesterday . His positional sense had to be seen to be believed ; he wreaked havoc with any systemic strategy we were supposed to be using by failing to stick to the right of midfield and when he did get the ball he invariably chose the wrong option . I hope for his sake that Sven wasn't watching.....

Kuqi should have replaced Bentley at half time IMO - the latter had another ineffectual game . I think the ref touched the ball more ....

I can't understand all the negativity surrounding this game at all, especially those saying that Hughes is to blame for the tactics...they're basically the same tactics we've had since the Man Utd game, just a slight change in personnel.

Kuqi has proven himself far more useful coming from the bench, he's not actually any good really...he just frightens defenders a little and makes them uncomfortable. So, the bench was the right place for him. Dickov was unavailable (I presume?) and everyone believes Jansen is finished...so how was playing Bentley up-front (his natural position by the way, he's not a wide midfielder and never will be) with Bellamy a tactical error? Whatever the case, it certainly wasn't 4-5-1, we just had a deeper-lying striker in the mould of Sheringham/Bergkamp rather than a bulldozer or a headless chicken. Hopefully we'll persevere with it, I think Bentley could do wonders linking the midfield to attack and picking out the runs of Bellamy and Pedersen.

I must admit I was suprised by the dropping of Savage. He hasn't been in great form, but niether has Reid. I think Reid poses the bigger threat going forward, but Savage will get through more of the donkey work...and that's probably more important when playing alongside Tugay. I'm not going to criticise Hughes for it, the face that he had the balls to drop one of his clear favourites sends out a strong message to the rest of the team, everyone 'should' be on their toes from now on.

I'm not sure the hand-ball is as clear-cut as some people are making out, I think Todd could have got his arm out of the way if he'd really wanted to. It was still a little harsh on him, but it's certainly not a definite wrong decision, it's more of a 40/60...we were just slightly unlucky. Still, at least the Zura/Nelsen partnership can resume now, hopefully it will be more permanent this time around.

We're still looking like one of the best sides outside the top four at the moment, the fact that we can outplay Everton with 10 men surely supports this, we were also very unlucky against Arsenal last week. We're doing almost everything right, the results will start to pick up again, I'm sure of it. All we need to do is remove the odd individual mistakes that are creeping in, get the back four settled again and get Tugay back up to full fitness. Who knows...maybe even Emerton will find some form... unsure.gif

The better team lost yesterday without a shadow of a doubt and I do remain confident of a top ten finish. Pedersen missed 2 easy chances and I wish he would ditch his lackadaisical approach at the moment. As for the sending off IMO Todd clearly manipulated the ball to his advantage and was rightly sent off; it was a stupid thing to do and the linesman had a clear view. Zurab should be in the team.We missed Savage for his tenacious tackling. Perhaps Hughesy will have to change things for West Ham.

Got the radio on and just heard that the now-retired ref Paul Durkin is a guest on MOTD2 tonight. Now can't imagine he'll recommend that Halsey should be hung, drawn, and quartered, but I'd be interested if anyone watches and can report here (I won't be able to watch).

I hope Everton get relegated.

Who else thought the Everton players were taunting the BBE after their second goal. They seemed to be there for ages grinning and sneering at the fans.

I thought the refs were supposed to stop all that.

I can still see that ugly git Neville sneering at me, I only wish I had a piano or fridge with me smile.gif

And then after that, an Everton player chased after the ref claiming he'd been hit by something, lucky it wasn't my piano.

Horrible decision, but when we had a full compliment on the park should've done more.

How we can compete with the top teams on a regular basis then fall to an absolute @#/? Everton team is beyond me. Rovers are going to get my vote for most frustrating team to watch this year.

How we can compete with the top teams on a regular basis then fall to an absolute @#/? Everton team is beyond me.  Rovers are going to get my vote for most frustrating team to watch this year.

365125[/snapback]

It all should provide strong motivation when the team plays at Goodison.

IMO Pedersen needs a spell on the bench, as he just isn't contributing enough in a game to justify being on from the start. Hopefully Hughesy can see what the rest of us can and will avoid relying on Ped for his enigmatic flashes of brilliance.

Also, did anyone else feel very uncomfortable every time Reid got the ball on Saturday? For me, he was a liability, and was guilty of putting us under pressure too many times with poor passing. I was glad that Hughesy spotted Lucas flailing like a fish out of water alongside the Admiral and moved him back to his more natural flank position when Zurab came on.

Finally, although from a footballing perspective we dominated Everton even with 10 men, there didn't seem to be any game plan other than hoof the ball to Bellars & Kuqi, which was very disappointing. I felt even to the final whistle (which was never the full 2 minutes of added time) that with a little bit more guile and composure we could have practically walked the ball into the net. To try to batter our way through seemed somewhat unnecessary and crude.

Ah well, I don't think we are a bad team, but a reasonable team that has suffered a setback from which we will bounce back. I just hope it is against visitors wearing Claret and Blue, that's all! rover.gif

THe main positive from this game was that at least we don't have to watch Everton every week - they are absolute dross, which actually makes losing to them even worse.

Even when rovers had 10 men they couldnt put a string of passes together. The one time they did and their fans were cheering each pass - until they passed it out of play! Whereas Rovers had been passing it about all game - admitedly without a cutting edge.

I think that we missed Sav's energy in the middle - im not sure what Reid brings to the team - -I think Sav/Tugay would be a better balance or even TheAxe/Tugay.

Also how many times did Halsey get in the way of Rovers?? dont think Ive seen a ref get in the way as many times.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.