BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jansen Rips Up Contract

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the cynical, shallow people on this board who think the only reasons im defending Matt so much because of his looks says a lot about the people that you are.

375719[/snapback]

Nobody suggested that (except maybe thenodrog) so get off your high horse. Jansen is a lovely lad, the kind of guy who'd make a perfect son-in-law, charming, and pleasant. His looks obviously help his popularity and fair play to him for that, nothing wrong with it. However riding a moped around Rome is hardly the same as Tugay riding a bike home a short distance from training. Surely a moped would be expected to be the more dangerous? Ultimately though the difference comes down to luck...Matt lucked out.

There is an article in The Mail today...Matt suggests Souness wasn't sympathetic to his psychological needs to recover, which sounds like Graeme.

In the article Matt says in criticism of Souness' handling of him - "The previous manager (Graeme Souness) did not understand the psychological problem that I had and was not very co-operative with it. Apparantly the first thing he said after the accident was: "what the hell was he doing on a bloody moped?"

Hope Jansen suceeds in the future altough maybe he needs to go back to where he started his career - in the lower leagues - before slowly working his way back up. Regular games may be what he needs.

In the article Matt says in criticism of Souness' handling of him - "The previous manager (Graeme Souness) did not understand the psychological problem that I had and was not very co-operative with it. Apparantly the first thing he said after the accident was: "what the hell was he doing on a bloody moped?"

375874[/snapback]

What the hell did Jansen expect GS to say? What the hell was he doing on a bloody moped?

In life, not everyone has to be all rosy and nice. Life needs @#/?, hard headed people. I feel sorry for Jansen, but GS had to devote his time and energy to the most active players.

Too true . This board would be the poorer without The Drog ..... unsure.gif

375943[/snapback]

et tu Brute......... tongue.gif

BTW I would think that 'what the ell was he doing on a bloody moped?' was repeated about 25000 times in the Blackburn area alone that day.

Anyway did Matt ever come up with an answer?

As someone who has cycled around Manchester for 25 years and holds a driving licence which enables me to drive any motorbike I want, I'd just like to make one simple point.

(slight pause whilst I adjust my halo)

Jansen was no different from hundreds of British tourists abroad who seize on the opportunity to hire a motorbike despite having bugger-all experience of riding one. Couple that with the driving on the right hand side and the different driving ethos of many countries he was just a disaster waiting to happen. As are all of the other tourists who jump on a motorbike.

Jansen was a bit more unlucky in that he didn't end up having gravel picked out of his leg my a Greek nurse wielding tweezers, he ended up in a coma.

Lucky man, he and his girlfriend could quite easily have been pushing up the daisies by now. Instead he is playing for Bolton.

(Insert punchline here.)

The important part for me, is this part at the bottom:

It's worth pointing out that Jansen has spoken of his gratitude to Souness in previous interviews, and Rovers steadfastly stood by the player throughout his problems, a point he has since acknowledged publicly on a number of occasions.

and earlier, Jansen on Jansen:

"I was taken to a sports psychologist but what I really needed was a psychiatrist. Nobody seemed to understand that.

"It was a brain problem, not a sport problem. The psychiatrist helped me find my way."

I fear Matty might still be lost, as it smacks of ingratitude that he criticises Souness for bringing him back too early.

a) in all likelyhood, Matty himself was eager to come back.

B) how could there be any bad intentions in such a scenario? Not that Jansen makes the accusation, but surely Souness was giving Matt a chance to regain his form.

Unfortunately, it sounds like opportunist seizing upon a reputation that Souness has gained recently, for bringing players back too soon from injury.

Just another sad episode to this whole debacle :(

Edited by Shaddy

This is NOT a plea to bring Jansen back.

But isn't it typical of his cruel footballing misfortune that he goes to Bolton and perhaps will get 30 minutes action as a sub spread across three games before the four Africans return and condemn him to the depths at precisely the time injuries and suspensions would have got him a run with the Rovers?

This is NOT a plea to bring Jansen back.

But isn't it typical of his cruel footballing misfortune that he goes to Bolton and perhaps will get 30 minutes action as a sub spread across three games before the four Africans return and condemn him to the depths at precisely the time injuries and suspensions would have got him a run with the Rovers?

377107[/snapback]

If he cant keep Bolton strikers out of the Bolton team then he has no place at Ewood. I'd rather have loan recalls, besides Jansen isnt better than Kuqi which says it all.

Apparantly the first thing he said after the accident was: "what the hell was he doing on a bloody moped?"

375874[/snapback]

I think this quote needs to be put in context -

If someone walked up to Souey and said 'Matt's in a coma, he fell off a moped.' then Souey said it - then thats wrong.

But if it was more a case of Matts been in a crash - fell off a moped - not sure how he is... its more acceptable to question why he was on a moped.

Although agree with (most) people in that I hope he does well - just not against us.

• 2 months later...

Not wanting to open old wounds but whats happened to Matty's last chance saloon? I know all the african nations guys are back but he was not even on the team sheet today. Is he injured or has Sam come to the same conclusion as Hughes, Souness, Strachan etc?

I suspected Jansen would not figure at Bolton for long so God only knows the state of mind he is in now.

Not wanting to open old wounds but whats happened to Matty's last chance saloon?  I know all the african nations guys are back but he was not even on the team sheet today.  Is he injured or has Sam come to the same conclusion as Hughes, Souness, Strachan etc? 

I suspected Jansen would not figure at Bolton for long so God only knows the state of mind he is in now.

393769[/snapback]

He's out with a knee injury

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update for anyone who's interested...

Bolton Reserves' highlights have just been on SSN, Jansen scored an absolute screamer from outside the area...a dipping volley into the top corner after heading it up in the air. He also provided the cross for Bolton's second.

Incidently, Thommo was playing for the opposition...who would have thought four years ago that those two would be coming up against each other in a reserve match for two of our 'local' rivals?

Just a quick update for anyone who's interested...

Bolton Reserves' highlights have just been on SSN, Jansen scored an absolute screamer from outside the area...a dipping volley into the top corner after heading it up in the air.  He also provided the cross for Bolton's second. 

Incidently, Thommo was playing for the opposition...who would have thought four years ago that those two would be coming up against each other in a reserve match for two of our 'local' rivals?

396829[/snapback]

JANSEN FOR ENGLAND - THE DREAM LIVES ON tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.