BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this would be a bad deal. We got lucky to receive so much cash for him considering his fragile physical condition, and buying him back now would spoil this. If Dunny can play a whole season injury free maybe it should be considered though, as he's Rovers through-and-through and we all know what he can do on his day.

Dunns form in the prem for us, was never that good. Anyone remember - he was used on the left wing mainly. He wasn't consistent enough to hold down a central mid position.

386978[/snapback]

Says quite a lot really, because Dunn / Flitcroft in the middle should really work out okay. Then again, we did play with some weird formations and our players did play in a few weird positions at the time..

Ronaldo however, is indeed a fat chuffer in footballing terms.

387013[/snapback]

That's one fat boy I'd be over the moon if we signed him....

Wants to leave Madrid doesn't he.....

biggrin.gif

Edited by shillito15

I was gutted when Dunn left...but understood why GS binned him, he did kind of go off the rails when seeing/getting dumped by Jakki Degg.

Since then he has gained too much weight and as a result become injury prone.

With his current fitness level, (way above mine) I would not touch him with abby's! wink.gif

shame really because I really liked to watch him link up with duff and run riot! sad.gif

Possibly I'd concider getting him at the end of the season when the big club are relagated for £1M and wages of £15k a week untill he proves himself match fit, then back to £40k. (as if laugh.gif )

Says quite a lot really, because Dunn / Flitcroft in the middle should really work out okay. Then again, we did play with some weird formations and our players did play in a few weird positions at the time..

387023[/snapback]

He was also up against the brilliant Tugay so playing in the centre was never really an option.

To say his form wans't that good is a bit of an over statement. Sure, he was never as good as Tugay or Duff but still created and caused problems and the Brum fans rate him as their best player.

If fit he would get in our side as a right sided player or a supporting striker. The big problem with this however, as someone else mentioned, is that is exactly what role Bentley is ear marked to play. Would it be worth having both of them?

Dunns form in the prem for us, was never that good. Anyone remember - he was used on the left wing mainly. He wasn't consistent enough to hold down a central mid position.

386978[/snapback]

I remember him sulking whenever Souness played him out wide. Fair enough though as he was never going to displace Tugay and the two couldn't work together in a partnership....unless y'know you wanted your midfield to be steamrolled wink.gif

Unfortunately, I have a friend who is quite heavily involved with Birmingham and so have been to a few games this season. When he plays, Dunny is head and shoulders the best player in their team. Only the recent signing of Chris Sutton has given him any competition. His fitness is still a worry (Glass hamstrings apparently) but when he plays he is still a top class player.

Tugay is getting older, and whilst Dunny isn't an exact replacement, his range of passing exceptionally good.

Edited by Cheshireblue

As it's whether he'll go if they're relegated and he's coming back to Ewood (please god) I voted yes.

387273[/snapback]

At the moment 74% of the vote reckons that Dunny will go from BIG CLUB if they go down.

This is an interesting post from their board:

"I honestly believe that Rovers fans have ideas above their station if they believe that Dunn isn’t good enough to get your side. He’s a sensational player and as time is going by, he’s playing more and more games. He’ll be a force to be reckoned with next season."

From what little I've seen of Dunny when fit this season, he is easily one of the best midfielders in the Prem.

Come on you Baggies!!!!

This is the mentalist thread ever.

I cant even believev the Birmingham fans are discussing it, like they'd be losing a key player or something.

INJURED PLAYERS ARE NO USE TO ANYONE.

Dunny is the biggest crock in the Premiership and we I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

He is always injured yet he is always out on the pop. See any connection? He is totally unprofessional and Birmingham are more than welcome to continue picking up his 40k a week tab until the end of his ridiculous contract. All the best to the mugs.

387387[/snapback]

After his major surgery in the US his hamstrings are "ok" now, but he hasn't proven himself fully injury free so far.

I would love to see dunny back at ewood and theres no doubt that he is a very talented player who could offer us what we need, a small transfer fee and low wages + appearance bonuses would be ideal. rover.gif

Get the prodigal one back to the Rovers for sure, a very useful acquisition and his 'injuryproneness' might make him a snip! thumbs-up.gif

As for those condemning his supposed party animal lifestyle and appreciation of pubs and niteklubs, it never did the likes of Lee Richardson, Andy Kennedy, Scott Sellars, Simon Garner and even Damien Duff any harm!

(Also, he's never been fat, just big-boned!) wink.gif

After his major surgery in the US his hamstrings are "ok" now, but he hasn't proven himself fully injury free so far.

I would love to see dunny back at ewood and theres no doubt that he is a very talented player who could offer us what we need, a small transfer fee and low wages + appearance bonuses would be ideal. rover.gif

387410[/snapback]

No, no it wouldn't. ANYTHING we offered him would be a complete waste. We have a small enough squad as it is without wasting what little money we have on injury prone wasters. He WAS a great player. He hasn't been for a good few years though. Maybe we should bring back Ripley and Wilcos whilst we're at it eh??

Leave the past in the past.

What we need are more fit, hungry, ambitious players and I have no doubt that Hughes knows that.

Say what you want about players of yesteryear drinking it is irrelevant. Players of today look after their bodies better than ever and Dunn really needs to learn that.

You get out what you put in and as far as im concerned he is more interested in beer birds and motors than football.

They can keep him thankyou very much.

Theereis a good spirit at Rovers now, a real ogetherness. everyone knows their role and everyone works hard. bringing in characters like Dunn will just throw all that into jeapordy. I really cant understand so many of you entertaining the idea.

If Sparky reckons Dunny is good enough for Rovers then

- he will have passed his fitness tests

- He will have convinced Sparky that he is manageable and responsible.

In those circumstances all the anti-Dunn posters will comprehensively proved wrong. At the moment, Brum are not relegated and David Dunn could well save them single-handedly so it's a tad academic.

PS blueboy, no way on earth should we have signed Savage and Bellamy by your criteria- at least Dunn would really want to play for Rovers.

Edited by philipl

This is the mentalist thread ever.

I cant even believev the Birmingham fans are discussing it, like they'd be losing a key player or something.

Dunny is the biggest crock in the Premiership and we I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

He is always injured yet he is always out on the pop. See any connection? He is totally unprofessional and Birmingham are more than welcome to continue picking up his 40k a week tab until the end of his ridiculous contract. All the best to the mugs.

387387[/snapback]

I'd definately take him back, but it'd be on our terms. Pay as you play type deal with big bonuses for goals, assists, appearences etc. It's hightly unlikely Brum could afford him if they went down (which is looking less and less likely, dammit dry.gif ), and I'm sure we'd get first crack at offering him a contract.

One thing I wouldn't do is pay significant money for his services, £2m would be extortionate under the circumstances. A nominal fee and the removal of him from the wage budget would suffice for Big Club I feel.

If Sparky reckons Dunny is good enough for Rovers then

- he will have passed his fitness tests

- He will have convinced Sparky that he is manageable and responsible.

In those circumstances all the anti-Dunn posters will comprehensively proved wrong. At the moment, Brum are not relegated and David Dunn could well save them single-handedly so it's a tad academic.

PS blueboy, no way on earth should we have signed Savage and Bellamy by your criteria- at least Dunn would really want to play for Rovers.

387438[/snapback]

I find your comparison with Savage and Bellamy bizarre to be honest.

Savage has always been a real grafter. yes he has daft hair and daft cars but ON the field he is a 100 per cent'er. He has never had any disciplinary problems that I am aware of and isnt known to be a party animal.

Bellamy has had his troubles but for the right reasons IMO. He wants to play ever week and he wants to win. I dont see similarities between the two.

"Too much time late at night in the nightspots of Accy

Too many pies

Too much focus on lifestyle

All of this makes you injury-prone as you will only ever be 75% fir and that's not enough in this league"

That's what Souey told him and Dunn threw his toys out rather than listen to one of the greatest midfield players ever to play in the last 30 years.

What's happened at Brum?

How many games has he played?

A bloke I work with supports "the biggest club in the world" and reckons David Dunn was the best piece of business BRFC have done in the past 20 years - for BRFC not BCFC.

On this one, the previous manager was right.

I'm far from convinced about Dunn returning at a time when the boss is trying to lose deadwood from the squad to allow him to bring others in - I think this would be additional deadwood unless he brought a sponsorship deal from BUPA with him!

We'd have been better off keeping Matt Jansen - now if we were going for Chris Sutton to mask the earth mover that is Shefki Kuqi that would be a different matter.

Maybe we should bring back Ripley and Wilcos whilst we're at it eh??

387419[/snapback]

Ha god you are the funniest man alive! Why not bring back shearer...oh wait that would have been a good move!

We have one of the best physio and medical staff in the world so one would assume they could tell a anderton from a friedel!

Dunn is a very good attacking middy, IMO brums best player, but then again tiny taylor is a close second.... ohmy.gif

I hated dunn for leaving but i would be rover the moon for him to return(fairly injury free).

IF hughes goes for Dunn then i trust our team to give a fair and honest opinion on dunny and i expect to ssee him and bently fighting for first team places next season, with brum midtable in div 1....the championship! rover.gif

I must have missed something - has Hughes come out and said he would like Dunn back at Rovers ?

I have two concerns about Dunn :-

1. His injury record - but I am certain the club wouldn't pursue a deal if he wasn't fully recovered from his various injuries. Or any deal would be structured to account for this. As has already been mentioned - we can't afford injury prone players with such a small squad - but the club has already shown the way forward with players like Jansen.

2. His ability to play in a four man midfield - mainly due to his inability to get back into defensive positions. Too often he was left isolated up field without the pace to get back. To an extent our current midfield would make up for this - as MGP, and especially Reid have the athletic ability and pace to make up for this deficiency in Dunn's game.

Personally - IF available and IF fit - I would take a risk. How many times have we cried out for a midfield player with Dunn's ability for the unusual - and ability to go past a man.

I would have Dunny back in the summer definetely.

From a footballing point of view his creative driving runs from midfield are something we are lacking at the minute. Plus he scores goals. Without being critical to savage or tugay they are not that kind of player. Reid can run with the ball but his end product is seldom effective.

Added to the fact he is a local lad who grew up supporting the team. He was a cult hero with rovers fans and a return to Ewood will only improve the general atmosphere and possibly boost gates.

"Too much time late at night in the nightspots of Accy

Too many pies

Too much focus on lifestyle

All of this makes you injury-prone as you will only ever be 75% fir and that's not enough in this league"

That's what Souey told him and Dunn threw his toys out rather than listen to one of the greatest midfield players ever to play in the last 30 years.

What's happened at Brum?

How many games has he played?

A bloke I work with supports "the biggest club in the world" and reckons David Dunn was the best piece of business BRFC have done in the past 20 years - for BRFC not BCFC.

On this one, the previous manager was right.

I'm far from convinced about Dunn returning at a time when the boss is trying to lose deadwood from the squad to allow him to bring others in - I think this would be additional deadwood unless he brought a sponsorship deal from BUPA with him!

387469[/snapback]

What he said.. However if Hughes does sign him I will not be complaining.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.