BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth 2-2 Rovers

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone hasn't seen Bellamy's first goal - it's absolutely brilliant. thumbs-up.gif

His second one's not bad either. Better than anything Newcastle have. Souey, what were you doing?

397665[/snapback]

Just seen them and - WOW

The first one should be paused as he is running away from goal and someone should say - what happens next - who would think the ball was going to end up in the back of the net - not I

The second one came from some good work from Bentley

I must say that I was very impressed with pompy and if they do go down, I wouldnt mind seeing Belemy and Lua Lua up front - that would be awsome.

Something that did anoy me though was our guys just hoofing the ball into the clouds everytime we got it - we win games by passing to one another not lobbing the ball into the air and saying to Dickov - go on then get that - if shefki was on then thats different

Oh and I HATE THAT BELL

I have just watched the game over here on delay. the only reason we came out of that game with a point was Craig Bellamy, he was absoluely, utterly, unbelievably sensational. In an atacking sense everybody else offered very close to nothing. Bentley was the only other player who looked like coming forward much, and he lost the ball quite often, as did the Ped.

Defensively Freidel was very good, Nelsen was solid, Kishi was a fault for their second but still okay, Neill more than a little dodgy, while Moko actually played better than I thought he would at RB.

I don't want this to sound like a knee jerk thing, but if we are looking for a playmaker in the summer we should have a look at Mendes if Pompey go down. Clever, a good shot, a good pass, covers a lot of ground. Can't think of too many players who would suit us better and we could get for a reasonable price. Lua Lua as well should take our interest.

I think with Bellers it has reached the point where all of the big clubs will start taking a serious interest. I would go so far as to say he would get a starting place at Liverpool and Arsenal. He is better than the strikers available to Chelsea, bu does not fit into their stye of play. We should brace ourselves for a summer where our door is going to be battered down. The good news is we can, if we do lose him, realistically ask for 20 million upwards.

Hopefully Craig will want to stay, but it really will be up to him. Awesome player. The first goal was of Henry's level of genius.

We need Pedersen and Savage to hit some form if we are going to hurt Liverpool next weekend.

Irrelevant. Might as well say look where we are now compared with 1964-65 or 1994-95.

Fourth place is probably put of reach now but considering the lack of quality in the squad (Bellamy, Nelsen and Friedel excepted), sixth position and a place in the Uefa Cup would be an outstanding achievement by Hughes.

397567[/snapback]

I don't know about that, if we compare against those we are up against (Spurs and Bolton) then Niell and Savage can be seen as 'good enough'. But you are right that beyond that and we start to look a little thin. You could actualy easily argue that Portsmouth had far more techinically able players out there than Rovers. Mendes, d'Allesandro, O'Niel, Taylor, Lua Lua are all players who can control the ball well and produce a good pass.

We need some of that quality.

+Whenever Bentley plays in the left midfield role he seems to play well, and he did impress for England U21's in that role. So why not rest MGP and play Bentley wide left?

The one position he never seems to play well in is the wide right MF, so why keep putting him there?

397620[/snapback]

Stay away from sniffling chickens and swans mate!

Defensively Freidel was very good, Nelsen was solid, Kishi was a fault for their second but still okay, Neill more than a little dodgy, while Moko actually played better than I thought he would at RB.

397668[/snapback]

Actually, I'm pretty sure Moko and Nelsen are to blame for the second goal. Mokoena (Who does not inspire any confidence at all at right back) committed to his "challenge" way too early, basicly giving Taylor all the time in the world to pick out his cross, while Nelsen completely lost Todorov. That being said, Todorov did very well there, tricking Nelsen into thinking he was gonna go on the other side of him. Other than Nelsen was very solid though.

I'd drop Pedersen for our next game, and play Bentley on the left with Emerton on the right.

Back from game. Grey was subbed st half time afetr a woeful display of feeble challenges that usually resulted in him left sitting on his backside. Midfield was largely non-existent and Pompey players frequently strolled through unchalenged. Total lack of movement off the ball. Pederson a complete passenger. This type of showing will get no points against Lpool, Brum andChelsea. Don't believe the final total will be more than 60 points max. If Bolton win 4 games the UEFA place is gone too.

I'd like to say that I was disappointed with the result, but in truth we deserved a point and had we lost you couldn't really complain when you consider the chances that Portsmouth had. Bellamy's goals were unreal and in the summer we have to find a partner to play along side him and share the goal scoring burden. If we do that, then we can challenge for the Champions League again next season. I'm disappointed that we have only picked up two points this week, because I felt that we needed to win at least one to keep the pressure on Spurs.

I was at fratton park today and I have to say that Bellamy and Freidel were outstanding for us. Nelson and Zurab were okay at the back, and Pedersen looked tired, I think that Sparky should consider resting him against Liverpool so we can get the best out of him for the the remaining games. Emerton to replace him as he played well for the time he was on the pitch today, even if he did use his hand to score but hey Pedersen got away with it at Newcastle shame Emerton didn't to day or we would have been leaving with 3 points that we did not overall deserve, but in rovers defence Pompy are an in form side having won three on the bounce before playing us.

Lets us all pray that we have our act together next week when Liverpool come to town.

397588[/snapback]

No, Pedersen looked ponderous and cowardly, which is actually how he's looked all season, peppered with some spectacular goals. I've never seen anyone blown off the ball easier and as for pulling out if anyone looks like they might tackle him- just call him the master of that!

Could anyone tell me just WHY Robbie Savage was playing on the right wing for the last 20 minutes? I know he's trying to avoid a booking (edit- have just read the rest of this section- thank god he can tackle again!!!) but he's not a right winger and it was just a ridiculous thing to do (although to be fair Reid and Bently looked better in the middle than Savage did.

And as for @#/?, get him away from the team. I'm beginning to feel the same about him as I feel about Amo. He's a liability- not for his play, but his whinging and whining. His booking today was absolutely unnecessary- and he damn near got sent off too. But I don't know WHY Mr Hughes didn't take him off- unless he was preparing for the Liverpool game which stinky can't play in???!?

But I have to say- just how GOOD is Bellamy? Those are the sort of quality goals we haven't seen since Shearer in his prime. You can see why Bellers didn't fancy playing on the right wing, can't you??? That's the good things he who shall not be named did for us up to three (edit FOUR) now. Buying Andy Cole, getting Mark Hughes (we wouldn't have otherwise- and we wouldn't have won the Worthy Cup) and being the general ar*e he was with us at Puke and giving us Bellamy at a knock-down price (and leaving with us actually getting money rather than having to pay money).

We really have to defend better if we're going to keep him- he obviously isn't going to be happy if an inept rest of the team spoils his great work every week!!!

Edited by Jan

Judging by the highlights we got absolutely dicked on

397670[/snapback]

Having watched it live, we were comfortably the better footballing team but allowed them a good start and to recover after both goals. Hughes will be very angry that probably precisely what he spent all week coaching the lads not to do is exactly what happened.

Thankfully Neill and Sav can start tackling again. Reid didn't have a good game but he stood upand was counted. The problem with MGP, when he plays badly, he disappears in a powder puff.

Bentley was the only creative element in midfield and besides Bellars brilliant swivel and shot, the second goal was all down to him.

We did control chunks of the game but made very little from it. The prime reason for that was that Dickov was even worse than he was against Wigan. He was very fortunate not to get sent off and I am sure the ref compensated by booking Bellamy the first time he opened his mouth when pulled up for an offside which was marginal but a correct call.

After these two games, I rather hope City take Dickov off us. I would not be surprised if Hughes were not looking for two strikers this summer. The clubs we compete at the top end usually have four international quality front line strikers (that is how Boro hjave survived to the UEFA semi-final) and we have got one with the others basically Championship players living off rich pickings.

I think with Bellers it has reached the point where all of the big clubs will start taking a serious interest. I would go so far as to say he would get a starting place at Liverpool and Arsenal. He is better than the strikers available to Chelsea, bu does not fit into their stye of play. We should brace ourselves for a summer where our door is going to be battered down. The good news is we can, if we do lose him, realistically ask for 20 million upwards.

Hopefully Craig will want to stay, but it really will be up to him. Awesome player. The first goal was  of Henry's level of genius.

397668[/snapback]

I think you are right about the big clubs having a look at him however I think he will be forgotten about while the world cup is on when everyone is chasing the new world sensation umbo umbogo (you know what I mean)

And as for 20m plus for bellers - wake up you fool

rover.gif yesterday pompey created more chances against us than any other premiership team this season,if they go down i'll eat hay.on the coach down we said a point would do,and a point was gained.

friedal and bellars were superb,nelsen made one mistake and a goal was scored.

my ratings

friedal -9 superb

neill-7 lost the ball for the 2nd

nelsen -8 a hero

zurab-6 him and todd are not the admiral's equal

gray -6 usual display

bentley-7 made the 2nd,looked at home in the middle 2nd half

savage -5 p1ss poor

reid -5 ditto

mgp-4 come on down spurs

dickov-3 a disgrace

BELLAMY -10 VROOOM VROOM please stay next year son

12th man pomey's crowd 10 tinykit.gif

It has been noticeable to me how we have lost our bite in midfield in recent matches. I am sure it is no coincidence that Savage has been walking a disciplinary tight rope. Lets hope normal service is resumed now - as we can't afford any more second rate performances.

Also - what has happended to Pongo ? I can't understand persisting with Dickov - these days he offers very little - no real pace, no height - at least Pongo offers more pace up front.

The Liverpool game is now huge - just hope that Tugay is available - as we are sadly lacking when Reid and Savage play centrally. Maybe drop MGP to the bench - play Bentley left, and Reid on the right ? However - I was surprised yesterday that MH didn't push Bentley up front alongside Bellamy.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

Having watched it live, we were comfortably the better footballing team but allowed them a good start and to recover after both goals. Hughes will be very angry that probably precisely what he spent all week coaching the lads not to do is exactly what happened.

Sorry philip but what game were you watching? Portsmouth were by far the better team and we were extremely fortunate to get a point. They didn't let us settle or give us time and as a result half our team went missing. There's little point in anyone eyeing up Pompey players over the summer as on displays like that they won't go down.

An inspired Friedel performance and two world class goals from Bellamy saved us today. Nelsen and Zura did alright I thought and coped moderately well with Lua Lua though I thought Nelsen's performance dropped in the second half and he appeared at fault for allowing Todorov to get free and equalise. Gray and Neill both had absoloute mares, if I was being generous I'd say the crowd got to them. Mokoena stabilised things a bit and was an improvement on Gray though only just. I thought Savage was awful today, he couldn't string a pass together and may have been moved out to the right wing to do less damage. Reid at least got stuck in though without much effect and Bentley showed a few nice touches and did well for the goal. MGP took AWOL to new levels of truancy. Emerton came on for the last five minutes and injected some pace and running. He seems to do well in this role and makes a decent impact substitute atm.

Unlike some people I thought Dickov didn't do too badly, he showed some nice touches in the second half and linked well with Bellamy. Still he needs to keep his mouth shut and I'm not sure playing him as a partner for Bellamy works, they're too small. Pongolle would still surely be a better option.

Craig Bellamy...what can you say? Like someone else said the first thing that sprung to my mind after watching them goals is Thierry Henry. This guy is the closest thing to him make no doubt about it. Why is 20 million that ridiculous Cocker? Yes we brought him for around £5 mill, but his performances have showed that hes a player clearly above that transfer category. He is perhaps more effective for us than the £17 million Duff man was. As for the game, weve got to be happy with a point after the numerous gilt edged chances that Pompey missed-how did our defence give them so much time to pick and place their shots? We need to improve considerably if were to even get 6th this season and thats an understatement.

Craig Bellamy...what can you say? Like someone else said the first thing that sprung to my mind after watching them goals is Thierry Henry. This guy is the closest thing to him make no doubt about it. Why is 20 million that ridiculous Cocker? Yes we brought him for around £5 mill, but his performances have showed that hes a player clearly above that transfer category. He is perhaps more effective for us than the £17 million Duff man was. As for the game, weve got to be happy with a point after the numerous gilt edged chances that Pompey missed-how did our defence give them so much time to pick and place their shots? We need to improve considerably if were to even get 6th this season and thats an understatement.

397746[/snapback]

When Duff went for 17m other teams were also looking to buy for silly money too - not just chelski.

Dont get me wrong I love Bellers to bits for what he has done for us this season but some people on here saying that he is worth 20mil are living in dreamland

Portsmouth were by far the better team

Agreed.

Midfield was largely non-existent and Pompey players frequently strolled through unchallenged. Total lack of movement off the ball. Pederson a complete passenger.

Correct Allan. Our midfield display was deplorable and our defensive marking was shocking at times.

Rovers strolled onto the pitch as if it was a gentle training ground exercise rather than a match of huge significance. From the opening minute we allowed Portsmouth to take control of the match and create a host of chances. We could have been 3-0 down after half an hour, before Bellamy's opening world class strike. The match stats for yesterday's goal attempts tell a damning story - Portsmouth 23, Rovers 4.

Pompey were able to carve through our midfield like a knife through butter. I was frankly disgusted with the performance of most of the Rovers players on show - Bellamy and Friedel excepted.

Even the normally reliable Ryan Nelsen made some defensive mistakes. Todorov was given acres of space to head home the Pompey equaliser. Just prior to that, Stefanovic was also left completely unmarked from a free-kick - fortunately he headed over the bar from a few yards out. Scandalous defending by Rovers. Mark Hughes prides himself on having a good defensive platform, but our marking at times was like that of a schoolboy team.

Clearly some serious issues need to be addressed after yesterday's game, and I'd suggest that Hughes and the Rovers coaching staff should sit the players down on Monday morning to go through a video of the Fratton Park horror show - pointing out that for most of the Rovers players this was a completely unacceptable performance. As far as the outfield players are concerned, only Craig Bellamy can have any pride in that display.

Since losing 3-2 to Spurs, where we played well without any reward at White Hart Lane, I would argue that we've since had four hugely disappointing performances - lacklustre against Aston Villa at Ewood Park, an off the boil display against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light, an inept performance against Wigan last Monday and yesterday's feeble show at Fratton Park. (Bellamy and Friedel excluded from any blame.)

Coming at a crucial stage of the season, this downwturn in form is a cause for concern. Midfield is the key area in football and at the moment we look like a team of cloggers. Robbie Savage failed to close Pompey down for their first goal yesterday and if Steven Reid and MGP think they are potential Man United players on this performance, then they're having a laugh.

Portsmouth is home to the Mary Rose museum, and like the visitors who come to see some of the artefacts from the famous old ship, so Mark Hughes also needs to survey the wreckage of yesterday's ghastly performance.

On Thursday night Hughes was at Selhurst Park to play in a charity match for the former Palace player (and one-time Rovers target) Geoff Thomas who is sadly fighting leukaemia. Maybe Sparky should have donned his boots again yesterday for the Pompey game. Unlike our shower in midfield, at least he might have been able to pass the ball properly and win a few tackles. Where was the passion and drive from our midfield yesterday? It was non-existent.

Some of MGP's spectacular goals earlier in the season perhaps blinded a few people to his weaknesses. He has a tendency to go missing for long periods, especially in away matches where he doesn't get into the game enough.

Rovers went onto the Fratton Park pitch on Saturday knowing that Spurs had already beaten Man City and this was a game we needed to win. They failed dismally. Don't let Bellamy's wonder goals detract from the fact that this was in many respects an appalling display from Rovers.

Portsmouth, incidentally, is also the birthplace of Charles Dickens and if any Rovers fans still have Great Expectations of qualifying for the Champions League, they should forget 'em after yesterday's shambles.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.