BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uefa Cup

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/5209648.stm

The British contingent will find out their second qualifying round opponents when the draw is made in Nyon on 28 July at 1230 BST, with the first legs to be played on 10 August and the second legs on 24 August

Should they progress, they will join Tottenham, Blackburn, West Ham and Rangers in the first round of the Uefa Cup, where 80 teams will play a two-legged game to see who goes through to the group stage.

The draw for the first round of the Uefa Cup will take place on 25 August in Monaco at 1200 BST, with the ties to be played on 14 September and 28 September.

The 40 teams that progress to the group stage will find out their opponents when the draw is made on 3 October in Nyon, with the first encounters on 19 October.

The Uefa Cup final takes place on 16 May 2007 at Hampden Park in Glasgow.

:rover::brfc::rover:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dutch genius who presents UEFA seedings in a digestible format has done it again: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seeduc2006.html

For the first round proper, he is assuming all the seeded teams from the 2nd Qualifying Round get through.

Rovers are comfortably in the top seeds whereas Spurs and West Ham will be hoping for 2nd Qualifying Round seeds to fall as they are both unseeded.

If Rovers survive into the Group stage, at the moment they would be in the bottom bucket of five for the Group draw but anyone of the 31 clubs seeded above Rovers going out would put Rovers into the 4th bucket- it would need an improbable nine higher seeded clubs to fail for Rovers to make it to the third bucket.

In the Group stages, the top three go through- there is a huge advantage for winning a Group (as Bolton and Boro both showed last season) as in the third round you face a third placed team from another Group with home advantage in the second leg. The killer position is second in the Group as you get drawn against a third placing CL Group Stage club home leg first- practically all the CL clubs prevailed in those games last season.

If we get through that, there is no more seeding!

Gretna have been drawn against Derry City of Ireland (although I think they are actually in the Northern Ireland and thus the UK but play in the Irish league because of trouble at games in the past I think?!?) so being drawn against the winner of that might make a good day out for the fans without having to book flights or, in Gretna's case, even leave England.

We really should win that too but never there is never an easy game in Europe when it comes to Rovers...

The Osasuna v Hamburg and Red Star Belgrade v AC Milan (assuming no further action against AC) Champs League 3rd round qualifiers are going to dump a couple of toughies into the UEFA Cup.

If Hamburg or Red Star, their co-efficients are so low, they will be in the other half of the draw to Rovers.

To be fair, seeding is useless in the competition.

How many of those teams seeded above Rovers would actually strike fear into you?

Not many, so I'm not too fussed about who we play and where/when we play them.

rangers would be a good away game to go to.

Don't think this could happen in rd1 at least, as both teams are likely to be seeds.

Hearts would be good, as I am sure I have to visit the Edinburgh office in September. ;)

I just hope to god we can do ourselves justice this time in Europe....our record is simply embarrassing.

More 'fashionable' clubs like Spurs and possibly Newcastle will see their games televised so lets hope the town gets behind Rovers in numbers.Would be nice to see the club do special promotions for these European nights with £10-£5 tickets across the board.

WE HAVE WORKED HARD TO EARN THE RIGHT TO PLAY IN EUROPE.....ITS A PRIVILEGE AND AN HONOUR TO REPRESENT YOUR COUNTRY! :rover:

P.S.

Wouldn't it be great to see Hampden half filled with blue and white...........

IPB Image

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

To be fair, seeding is useless in the competition.

How many of those teams seeded above Rovers would actually strike fear into you?

Remembering our record in Europe...all of them. :(

Actually, remembering our record in Europe, I'm not too confident against any of the teams below us either! ;)

I just hope to god we can do ourselves justice this time in Europe....our record is simply embarrassing.

More 'fashionable' clubs like Spurs and possibly Newcastle will see their games televised so lets hope the town gets behind Rovers in numbers.Would be nice to see the club do special promotions for these European nights with £10-£5 tickets across the board.

WE HAVE WORKED HARD TO EARN THE RIGHT TO PLAY IN EUROPE.....ITS A PRIVILEGE AND AN HONOUR TO REPRESENT YOUR COUNTRY! :rover:

P.S.

Wouldn't it be great to see Hampden half filled with blue and white...........

IPB Image

well iv got my plans sorted if we make the final.i have some friends in glasgow so i will just stop at their house over night so it will save me a bomb :)

More 'fashionable' clubs like Spurs and possibly Newcastle will see their games televised so lets hope the town gets behind Rovers in numbers.IPB Image

We've never had big crowds for Euro matches, I just can't imagine this season will be any different.

I expect we'll pull in just over 50% of our average league attendance.

Don't think this could happen in rd1 at least, as both teams are likely to be seeds.

Hearts would be good, as I am sure I have to visit the Edinburgh office in September. ;)

hearts are in the champions league :blink:

hearts are in the champions league :blink:

Not for much longer.

They should survive the 2nd Qualifting Round but third qualifying round defeat to AEK Athens will dump them into the bottom half of the UEFA First Round draw and a one in forty chance of playing the Rovers.

Gretna have been drawn against Derry City of Ireland (although I think they are actually in the Northern Ireland and thus the UK but play in the Irish league because of trouble at games in the past I think?!?) so being drawn against the winner of that might make a good day out for the fans without having to book flights or, in Gretna's case, even leave England.

We really should win that too but never there is never an easy game in Europe when it comes to Rovers...

Edited by Fife Rover

• 2 weeks later...

In just under 2wks time we'll be busy making plans for an away trip to Europe, but where will we end up?

*TAKE NOTE*

We booked flights to Bulgaria as soon as the draw was made, the clubs then swapped the ties round. We were lucky in that Lufthansa changed the flights for free, but many airlines wouldn't be so accommodating.

cant wait for this one, the away trip is either going the be the 14th or the 28th. :D

there is 14 of us lads planning to go, where ever it is. The good thing about the eufa now is if we get through this round, then we get into that group stage where we are guarenteed 2 away games!

bring it on!!

anyone know the date/time of the draw?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.