BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough 0 V Blackburn Rovers 1

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a good result. Three points and a clean sheet from a tricky away game is not to be sniffed at. Nonda's goal was superbly taken and our front pair (surely the first choice combination now?) looked dangerous both on the ground and in the air. McCarthy in particular looks a class act.

I was impressed also with Emerton at right back. He seemed to link up well with the ever developing Bentley. He has the engine to get up and down the flank and his work rate is superb. Perhaps full back was always his best position? His reputation at Feyenoord was built on his performances there.

Edited by Rovermatt

Only saw the highlights on motd but it appeared we wer very lucky. Boro had quite a few chances that only just missed the goal and one of their players got an alarming one on one situation handed to him on a plate.

Do that again Rovers and you won't get 3 points!!

are we averse to having a little bit of luck or the rub of the green ?

Of course Rovers will ride their luck in games, we have another 32 of them in the league, at least 1 in Europe, at least 1 in the League Cup and one in the FA Cup :o

Good performance, good result, see Ooijer got a special mention along with Sav & Nonda.

Emerton & Bentley looking good, Nonda & McCarthy can only get better in my view, Clean sheet will do our defence the world of good, esp. when injuries etc become available, Savage is now underlining why Hughsie wanted him so badly.

Well done to those that that predicted the score & correct scorer!

As for the "Won't play a poorer team all season" ?

I don't agree at all, yes Boro are up & down, but if you get at teams, a lot of them are very very average, there are a lot of teams their for the taking, TBH, if our defence continue to improve we will always nick more than the odd goal and we are a decent force at home, so I'm optimistic.

:rover:

Presty, how do you fugure that?? He had a stinker against Man City and was bought off when we could have been 3 or 4 goals down.

he didnt have a stinker, but he wasnt effective compared to mokoena

i admit his defensive qualities are not the best though for his age he still gets around and likes to put a foot in.

against citeh, the whole team was a mess, pointing the finger at tugay is just wrong, there is another 10 players in the team who have to take the blame too.

i think the players just respond when he's on the pitch, the passing is better and we keep the ball alot more.

tugay has a lot of influence out there and helps out attacking play with his creativity, we were struggling to score goals until he was back in the side after his susspension.

Having seen the highlights on Saturday night, it looks like there are still a few kinks in the defence that need to be ironed out. Someone said a few pages back they were at times doing an imitation of a pair of curtains - not 'arf, mate.

MOTD wasn't a good reflection of the game.

The one chance everyone seems to be referring to is when Euell went right through the middle of Neill and Zurab and missed the target when 1 on 1 with Brad. That one moment was not a microcosm of the game as a whole.

Noticeable that Ooijer was further up the field at that moment taking care of Yakubu I think. 99% of the time he seemed to boss the back line - as others have said a really encouraging performance from him on Saturday with some great interceptions with his head and on the ground.

On this evidence Henchoz won't get near the side and the idiot Todd will be off in January.

MOTD wasn't a good reflection of the game.

The one chance everyone seems to be referring to is when Euell went right through the middle of Neill and Zurab and missed the target when 1 on 1 with Brad. That one moment was not a microcosm of the game as a whole.

Noticeable that Ooijer was further up the field at that moment taking care of Yakubu I think. 99% of the time he seemed to boss the back line - as others have said a really encouraging performance from him on Saturday with some great interceptions with his head and on the ground.

On this evidence Henchoz won't get near the side and the idiot Todd will be off in January.

I didn't get to see Sky's extended highlights, so I won't pretend to have a full grasp of how the game went, but the defence parting like that - happened at least twice - is the sort of unforced error that better teams than Boro will exploit, no matter how good our overall play is. I'm not trying to trying to rain on our proverbial parade, more just trying occupy the middle ground between the usual "We lost! This is the end!/We won! Champion's League, here we come!" posts.

Thought the defence had improved from last week despite giving Euell those chances and seemed to grow in confidence throughout the match. They are beginning to play as a unit and, although they'll still make too many mistakes for comfort, if they continue to play together they can only get better. Stable back 4s make for good understanding of one another's game and create the ability to cover for one another. There were the first signs of it happening on saturday.

is the sort of unforced error that better teams than Boro will exploit,

More accurately 'better players than Jason Euell will exploit'.

C'mon Tris keep a sense of perspective. If by January Nelsen is still out and Henchoz is proven past it and Todd is booted out for whatever reason and one of those two gets hurt! What then? :o

As I see it the new found parnership of Ooijer and Zurab are not out of the woods yet. Given everyone fit (and I must admit to it being very early days yet for Oijer,) and taking things at face value that pairing would still be only my 6th or 7th choice pairing at best.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.