BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Not The Luton Town Preview.

den

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Axe did Ok today against a very very poor Luton team.

That's the problem. He couldn't impose himself against that opposition and then Hughes expects him to do so against Prem opposition.

I agree with those who think that his stray pass count was not abysmal (although it weren't great) but the problematic thing is that he shows no inclination to pick the ball off the back four. So much so that Bentley was forced to start dropping deep and linking midfield and defence and giving the defenders an option that didn't involve a aimless longball.

The least one can expect from a defensive midfielder in terms of constructive play is to link the midfield with the defence and prompt (if not orchestrate) attacks. Mokoena can't.

Just got back from the game! warnock was on fire! was singing my heart out! derbyshire was on fire, he looks good!

Was anyone in the yeoman? i was with some luton fans i was getting the songs sang at me before and after the game! lol great atmosphere and a great game!

Wembley Wembley!!!!

Just got back from the game via the pub. Great team performance, great goals and a great atmosphere from the fans. The stick Beresford got in the second half was hilarious. DINGLE, WHATS THE SCORE?

Warnock looks very promising, great place to make your first start so see how he gets on against Chelsea. Nelsen looked cool and collected, Zurab was solid at RB and Bentley did ok with some good forward runs.

Plus, i got my self on Radio 5 Live with Clem! :D

Happy days :D:brfc::D

The least one can expect from a defensive midfielder in terms of constructive play is to link the midfield with the defence and prompt (if not orchestrate) attacks. Mokoena can't.

So you'd like him to play like Beckenbaur then? After all, he did cost 400k.

I think you are misreading his role. His job seems to me to be get it and give it, along with filling in the back 4 when someone gets taken out of position. Not a bad role when our other three midfielders don't have a tackle between them, and are prone to exposing the people behind them. If I was Hughes, I'd be mightily p1ssed off if Bentley did pass to the Axe - it's Bentley's job to orchestrate the moves.

I fully expect that the Axe got a pat on the back from Hughes, will be picked on weds and told to do exactly the same as he did today.

Derbyshire actually looks like a genuine dyed in the wool goal scorer. I just can't believe how much he wins in the air despite is height.

Warnock looks very promising.

Everybody played well with the minor exception of Axe who is the weak link whichever way you look at it. Samba did not seem great either but as it's his first game you have to cut him some slack.

We still need a new central midfielder.

Great result. If we get decent draws I can see us making the semis again.

Also, surprised that so many people still can't see any positives about Mokoena. He did what he had to do very professionally and that probably complemented David Bentley (who looked almost Tugay-like).

--i for one had a little joke today about a couple of mokoenas passes.........but ill agree he did disrupt or at least sit in the right place today....and it wasnt easy for luton......but i think against real quality he is bypassed unless the rest of the team are flying. But yeah, today, fair enough....he was ok!

My first visit to Kenilworth Road, and very pleasant it was too.

I'm not saying Luton has made it into my top 10 weekend away destinations, quite the opposite.

But the pub (Yeoman - thanks brfc_jonesy) before the game was friendly enough - as one would hope so early in the day - the stewards were great, and it was nice to be behind the goal just feet away from the action, watching the Rovers in a characterful ground which for once didn't feel like something out of an Ikea showroom.

I never thought we'd lose this but then I didn't see the Watford debacle in midweek, but from the moment Derbyshire let fly in spectacular style it was a question of how many. I feel very sorry for Mike Newell, who isn't on speaking terms with his chairman. They keep selling the best players from under him, but he's honest enough to get on with his job and highlight the games greater ills. I hope such honesty doesn't preclude him from roles higher up the football pyramid in the future.

Warnock could not have hoped for a better debut. OK the opposition was poor, but his perfornance was full of intent in defence and verve going forward - which he had no hesitation in doing. I have been one of Mickey Gray's biggest fans, but Warnock had the same tireless attitude and tenacity, with the addition of culture and class. He's only been training with MGP since Thursday - this left hand side could be really summat.

Mokoena has his critics but IMO his critics expect too much sometimes. Clearly he's the worst distributor of a football in the team of 11 (and the squad of 16) - and so he gets noticed for that. But he's there to break things not make things, and he does that effectively. Chelsea / Man U can shell out £20 million on Carrick / Essien / Makelele but we can't. We've got a guy who covers for Savage - Ronaldo he ain't (either of them), Savage he ain't - but he's ours and we need to support him rather than knock him down.

Nelsen was majestic, and it was comforting to see a back 4 perform so well when three of them had never played together (Henchoz / Nelsen / Warnock). Samba came in and looked ... tall. And did nothing wrong other than an air kick which in fact let to MGP's goal.

Chelsea on Wednesday will be really interesting. We've been on an amazing run of wins, interrupted by Arsenal (no disgrace there) and Watford (clearly totally disgraceful). Playing to our best we should give Chelsea some problems. Although it's my nearest PL ground, I'm not giving them £48 to find out how may problems, but I'm looking forward to hearing a positive result from down the road.

Luton to be on the wrong end of a post Watford backlash, 4-0 to the Rovers.

Nice one.

Gamst's goal was absolutely brilliant. What skill! The way he kept it down when 99% of players would have put it into row z.

My views on todays team-

Friedel- 6 .Didn't really have much to do, but did that with typical Brad efficiency- one dodgy punch could have cost us.

Zurab- 6 . Had a good first half but looked shakey later on when he had a winger to contend with. not the answer at RB.

Henchoz- 6 . Usual Henchoz performance, strong under pressure but can be undone by pacey players running at him, goes to ground too readily. Rather have Toddy or Ooijer ( when fit) maybe even Zurab.

Nelsen- 7. Welcome back skipper, played like he'd never been away ,obviously he tired later on.

Warnock- 8. Motm One of the best debuts I've seen in a while, confident and determined on and of the ball, he linked up well with MGP. If this is how he can play every week we,ve got ourselves a real Left Back.

Emerton-6. Typical Emerton display , several mazey runs that never led anyway in particular, however made the 3rd goal with a lovely left foot cross.Squandered a better chance earlier on by electing to shoot when other players where in better positions.

Bentley-7. Started a bit slowly bit gradually grew into the role, he was running the show at the end. Didn't convince me he could do it against the top sides though. He's got a bad habit of running across the field showing too much of the ball.

Mokoena- 6 .I'm not an Axe knocker, I like his attitude, but I thought he wasn't that impressive today especially on the ball ( he nearly got Bentley killed with a shocking pass). He can however cover and tackle and he'll get there faster than Robbie could, I'd like to see a better version signed if that's possible.

Pedersen- 7 . I've been on his back this season, but I'll hold my hand up- he's playing well now and scoring goals again. He's started to look for the ball and drop inside instead of just waiting for a pass, his combination play with Warnock looked very promising.

Derbyshire-7 . Bags of effort rewarded with two good goals, the header especially good. Got a lot to learn but he's got plenty of time.

Mc Carthy- 7 . Class player when he can be bothered, just did enough today.

Subs

Samba, looked a bit raw but has a nice touch for a big guy, headed clearances are headed like they should be.

Gallagher, Not on long , did ok.

Jeffers, Not on long either but looked off the pace.

All in all a good day, but one minus - we still are no nearer to solving our weaknesses with crossed balls, my heart's in my mouth every time a cross comes over, even with Samba out there we looked vulnerable, nobody is delegated to attack the ball , we all watch each other.

im trying to work out which was the better goal - Derb's first of Gamst's

I think Derb's as it was hit at pace whilst under pressure from a defender, Gamst had all the time he needed

I never realised that was our first ever win at Luton,just read it on main home page.Another bogie quashed.

I've taped the match, so i can watch it again,and again, and again.

Brng me sunshine lalala..got me going ,now :rover:

im trying to work out which was the better goal - Derb's first of Gamst's

I think Derb's as it was hit at pace whilst under pressure from a defender, Gamst had all the time he needed

I think MGP's was a much better goal. Hitting the ball the way he did took far more technique then what Derbyshire did, especially when you look at how the ball just bobbled nicely for Derbyshire to strike it. MGP's was unsaveable, Derbyshire's could have been saved by a better keeper with better positioning.

Good win and a very good performance. Kept at it and matched them for committment and work effort, which were the only areas where they were ever going to beat us.

I think MGP's was a much better goal. Hitting the ball the way he did took far more technique then what Derbyshire did, especially when you look at how the ball just bobbled nicely for Derbyshire to strike it. MGP's was unsaveable, Derbyshire's could have been saved by a better keeper with better positioning.

Good win and a very good performance. Kept at it and matched them for committment and work effort, which were the only areas where they were ever going to beat us.

Having seen lots of players shoot wildly from Derbs position - I would have to see I slightly favour his goal over MGP's. However - it is nice to see that MGP is really getting his range of late - earlier in the season he would have hit that one for a throw in - but now he is showing the same form of last year (if not slightly better).

Difference was, Derbyshire's goal turned the game whereas MGP was under far less pressure having a pop at 3-0 up.

Why try and rate one goal above the other? - barmy - they were both great goals.

I thought we actually far surpassed them for work rate and commitment in much the same way Arsenal did to us at Ewood the other week.

Samba, looked a bit raw but has a nice touch for a big guy, headed clearances are headed like they should be.

I was thinking that same thing. I felt very confident when the ball came in high, he did a great job heading them out of danger. I was a bit worried when he got the ball at his feet. He definitely gives a great presence defending corners.

Well for me that was the complete away from home performance, a truly professional job done by the lads. Matty Derbyshire was awesome his running of the ball is absolutely superb. The biggest plus point of the day though has to be the return of Ryan Nelsen, and ok he ran out of steam towards the end, but all in all looked like he'd never been away.

Archived