BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Not The Luton Town Preview.

den

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derbyshire stills looks too lightweight for the premiership and gets knocked off the ball too often, and the one on one chance he had where the defender made a last ditch tackle, showed he isnt as fast we thought he was against slow Luton defenders. He needs to bulk up like Bentley has done to carry on his fa cup form into the premership.

Gally made some good passes and again great control and technique, he must be very jealous that a 2 year younger than himself Derbyshire is starting games and on fire though.

just got back from watchin that one in the pub (in stuttgart)......very nice.....kinda boring...if i wasnt arovers fan.....although having said that we knocked the ball around very well........mark bright couldnt stop praising matty...i wasnt AS impressed but he was still looking good for me...sharp and best of all the lad looks like he wants it....a few quality balls from the axe today :lol: but no, all in all im a happy rover right now....although i just get the feelin rovers being rovers we'll go and get thumped by chelsea!

also where on earth is david dunn??....i was looking forward to at least getting a snap shot of him on the bench today or in stands!!!!!

I think it's wrong to have a dig at Mokoena as some are doing. He did nothing wrong today, I'm not saying he was our match winner, but it does seem that everyone wants to have a pop at somebody so it may as well be Mokoena.

Other than that - very professional.

Warnock with the outstanding performance. Although It will be interesting to see if he plays such an advanced role in the PL.

Encouraging and thoroughly professional from everyone. However, I think most of us could have played against that Luton team. But as the saying goes you can only beat what's put in front of you.

I was going to say jeffers looked crap as well, but thought it would be a bit harsh on him. Maybe people are starting to get fed up with him, he's had so many last chance saloons, he should move onto a career in westerns.

I'd prefer that to Gally move ahead of jeffers in the pecking order now.

we also have roberts nearing full fitness which could spell the end for jeffers.

No pleasing some people.

Great win for the club now its the 5th round draw Monday.

You can only beat what is in front of you and Rovers did a professional job. Bonus in no further injuries, Nelsen got 65 mins, Jeffers had a run out, Mokoena did a job in midfield and MGP scored another scorcher with MD getting a double.

Confidence is returning after the dour game at Watford. In respect of the looming game at the bridge, everyone expects (most of us) Rovers to get a kicking, imagine ???????????

:brfc:

Derbyshire stills looks too lightweight for the premiership and gets knocked off the ball too often, and the one on one chance he had where the defender made a last ditch tackle, showed he isnt as fast we thought he was against slow Luton defenders. He needs to bulk up like Bentley has done to carry on his fa cup form into the premership.

Gally made some good passes and again great control and technique, he must be very jealous that a 2 year younger than himself Derbyshire is starting games and on fire though.

What a prop!!! One time Gally showed some nice skill. I don't care if Derbyshire was so lightweight that a gentle East Lancs breeze would knock him down two (very well taken) goals and very brave assist is good enough for me not to criticise.

I am begining to think you just carry a wooden spoon looking for a pot of brown stuff. He had to slow a bit to line up the shot there was a bit of bobble on the pitch.

Long live lightweight Matty, keep firing them in. Nonda has some physique remind me again how many has he scored, or Jeffers, or Roberts, or Gally.

also where on earth is david dunn??....i was looking forward to at least getting a snap shot of him on the bench today or in stands!!!!!

Re-aquinting himself with his favourite pastry maker?

Great win, proud of the Rovers today.Derbyshire just keeps scoring, what an inspiration he's been.Pedersen is definitly back to the player we know he can be.

Warnock was super, I'm really impressed, as I am with Nelsen,and a pleasure to see him back.

I don't want to criticise any of the team, today.A job well done

I'll reserve my thoughts on Franny Jeffers , for now,it's never easy coming back after a long lay off.

So, no grumbles from me. :) )(that performance gets an happy face).

Only one booking , the whole match.

Ps..Happy Birthday Mike Newell......awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww <_<

Not the words I'd describe Nelsen with, but each to their own I guess.

I thought it was quite obvious I was referring to the bandana but I guess not. ,

Not the words Id use to describe Nelsen either....

You compared him to Terry Butcher, I knew what you really meant, but thought Id try an appalling attempt at humour!

Second that, he had absolutely no impact and did nothing of any note.

He played to his usual high standards then? Once Roberts is back fit, we'll have five strikers who I would have ahead him for first team football. It would be best IMO to let him go and play for a Championship club, where he'd play regularly and maybe score some goals.

As for the game, it sounds like it was a very professional performance by Rovers. I'm delighted that Derbyshire scored again, he really has done well since he has been given an chance. I'd like to see him and Benni given a run of games together to see what they could do. I was all for giving Nonda and extended run in the team and in fairness, he has scored some important goals, but he hasn't done well of late and Derbyshire deserves a start. Also the return of Nelsen is a welcome sight and it's good that Warnock and Samba got a game. I'm very pleased. Hopefully we will get a good home draw now.

I thoroughly enjoyed that. 2 great finishes from Derbs, and I think he should be looking to start ahead of Nonda from now on. And how great to see a real left back - I'd forgotten what it was like.

I also think Mokoena is getting an unfair press today on this board. Sure, a few passes misplaced, but mostly played the simple ball well. However, I somehow don't think Hughes picks him for his passing ability. I thought he did the Savage job very well, closed down players fast. Not once did Luton get to run at our centre backs, and when one of our centre halves got pulled wide, I liked the way the Axe dropped into the back four. I for one am going to side with Hughes on this issue.

I was going to wait till I had read to the end of this thread before posting what I thought of Mokoena. But after reading your post EIT I just could not let it go by without saying well said!!.

I sometimes wonder if I am watching the same match as some of the posters on here. I always record the matches and then replay them carefully to analyse the most contentious talking points, but today have not had a chance to do that yet. However, from memory and impressions gained whilst watching it live: The Axe did make a few stray passes today, but he also made at least 3 critical tackles that got the ball cleanly without any suggestion of fouling the Luton player, but these were also critical in the sense of breaking up some of the very few danger situations that Luton created. Nobody apart from EIT and myself seem to have spotted those.

I guarantee that if those tackles in those situations had been attempted by Savage there would have been a foul conceded with possibly dire consequences. I am not knocking Savage either; he plays the only way he knows how and we all love him for it. Don't we? Maybe the Axe and Robbie should get together in training and each learn from the other's strengths.

Just got back from the game! Fantastic result! The boys did good, even if Luton were never really up for it.

I do feel sorry for Mike Newall and the entire Luton team, after giving livepool such a close run last year they've had most of the team sold from under them, teams like Luton need some kind of protection to prevent bigger clubs with massive pockets taking their up and comming players, otherwise the league can stagnate and these teams will never progress.

Even Blackburn have had this problem; whilst I understand we could never have turned down £16M I still feel it was a mistake to sell Duff when we did!

Excellent TEAM performance today. There is a cracking spirit top to bottom in the club and that is helping confidence.

Matty Derbyshire is doing what he is paid to do which is score goals, something he is achieving in both the league and cup competitions. As for lightweight about as lightweight as Michael Owen, he is Blue and White through and through and doesn't hide. Looks like he is making a more potent impact than Nonda.

Warnock looks like he is what Rovers need at left-back, I really think we have got the best deal with the Aussie out and the Ormskirk lad in.

Super to see Nelsen back and pat on the back for Henchoz, some superbly timed tackles. Also, surprised that so many people still can't see any positives about Mokoena. He did what he had to do very professionally and that probably complemented David Bentley (who looked almost Tugay-like).

But the difficulty is judging against such weak opponents, all the same the Rovers can only beat what is put in front of them which was pretty comprehensive. Just like Everton.

Time for a home tie for a change, would be nice to see Blackpool or Preston get through.

That was a pleasant romp. Warnock very promising, Samba had one aberration but I liked the way he heads with power. Zura not 100% comfy at right back and Bentley not as influential in centre mid as he is wide right. So good to see the Admiral making everything shipshape at the back again.

Four sweet goals and could have been more. Really like the way Derbs get in at the sharp end- he's missed some but at least he gets there to miss them and his two scores today were excellently taken. Lovely volley from MGP- just knew he was going to score from the confident way he shaped to strike it as it dropped; and I haven't felt that way before a Rovers goal since the days of Shearer.

Liked the way Mike Newell had Luton playing football but at the end of the day an injury and transfer hit CCCCC side should be put away with the ease that Rovers brushed past Luton. As things stand at the moment, not looking like there are any Prem casualties except the £60K boy at WHam.

5,887 crowd? What did Luton expect making it all ticket with no sales on the day and just 3 days to shift the tickets?

Nice to look forwards to the Round 5 draw with the Kenilworth Road bogey well and truly buried.

I thought Warnock was superb today - a class act. Lucas whatever his name is, is history and we are on to bigger and better things without him.

I thought the team looked well balanced and in total control.

When did we sign Audley Harrison? :D

I feel confident os gettin summet from The Bridge next week.....anyone else?

Roll on Cologne!

Archived