BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Friedel Deal For Love, Not Money

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way that Brad Friedel is some sort of latter day goalkeeping saint that people are making him out to be.

FACT - if Robinson had been between the sticks for Aston Villa this season, their record would not look any worse than it does with Brad Friedel there. There's every chance it would look better, because of the 7 goals Villa have let in in PL and UEFA games, at least 3 make Friedel look suspect (to be polite).

So there's every chance that Robinson would have kept out some of the stuff that Brad has let in.

At this level, there's not much to choose between the top keepers. Bad keepers can get exposed, but if you were to rate the first choice candidates at all 20 PL clubs, they'd all score betwen 70 and 90 if marked out of 100. They will all sometimes pull out astounding performances which leave everyone in awe, and they will all have moments to forget (ask Tim Flowers and David Seaman).

But to sum up, there is no way on this earth that swapping 37 year old Friedel for 28 year old Robinson has weakened Rovers.

I'd have held off posting your view for a while yet Tris as you know how things can bite you on the arse on here.

Let's not forget that if the young lad for Everton could head straight we'd have had hell breaking loose regarding Robinson last week.

But to sum up, there is no way on this earth that swapping 37 year old Friedel for 28 year old Robinson has weakened Rovers.

Agreed, now that he's no longer a Rovers' player I've taken off the B & W specs. He looked a bit rusty against Stoke.

I'll give him a good round of applause when he comes back to Ewood. You'd have to be pretty small-minded not to IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Taken from BBC's live uefa cup update (a stationary Brad just conceded from a free kick :closedeyes: ):

1527: GOAL Litex Lovech 1-0 Aston Villa

The Bulgarians win a free-kick out wide and Ivelin Popov swings the ball into the box. It eludes the wall and several players looking to head the ball either towards goal or away to safety. Crucially, it also eludes a stationary Brad Friedel.

1540: "Brad Friedel! I may be jumping the gun here (I've been a Villa fan since I was 10 and I am 42 now) but this keeper has been described as one of the most solid performers ever. In my humble opinion, he hasn't really brought any stability to Villa's occasional shaky defence and he's let in quite a few goals already! I hope he lives up to his reputation and eventually come good."

PaulMad7 on 606

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7623373.stm

What price the Robinson baiters now?

Taken from BBC's live uefa cup update (a stationary Brad just conceded from a free kick :closedeyes: ):

The Bulgarians win a free-kick out wide and Ivelin Popov swings the ball into the box. It eludes the wall and several players looking to head the ball either towards goal or away to safety. Crucially, it also eludes a stationary Brad Friedel.

1540: "Brad Friedel! I may be jumping the gun here (I've been a Villa fan since I was 10 and I am 42 now) but this keeper has been described as one of the most solid performers ever. In my humble opinion, he hasn't really brought any stability to Villa's occasional shaky defence and he's let in quite a few goals already! I hope he lives up to his reputation and eventually come good."

PaulMad7 on 606

Its all that Geezer Paul Ince. Its his fault I tell ya all his fault. Brads been cursed. Ince out! :rolleyes:

PaulMad7 on 606

Friedel's one weakness was always free-kicks.

But you can be damn sure he would have saved at least 3-4 of the goals Robinson let in so far.

Which ones?

Also how can you guarantee he would have kept out some that Robinson did save? Friedel for whatever reasons is gone. We all thought he was great here but he's history now. No good thinking he would have done certain things. We have to go with what we've got and though I'm no Robinson fan, he needs to feel that we have confidence in him and aren't always thinking "friedel would have saved that"

Interesting thread on Villatalk here about Friedel.

Most people think that, despite his ropey start, he's still miles better than Carson was last year. In fact towards the end of the thread a lot are hailing him as their best keeper since Bosnich, despite the fact he doesn't seem to have hit his usual form there.

Interesting post from a Villa fan regarding the blunder against West Brom on Sunday

After celebrating with the other players he walked over to the Villa end and pointed to the spot where he spilled the shot into the path of Morrison. As he did so he held his other hand up in an apologetic gesture and mouthed sorry and kind of dipped his head.

I wasn't the only one who saw it but many missed it.

Nice touch, a touch of class actually I thought.

• 1 month later...

Friedel hopes for a favourable reception from the visiting support but he insists even if it isn’t forthcoming it won’t tarnish his memories.

“I went to Blackburn on a free, gave them eight years of service and they a very good transfer fee was paid for me at the age of 37,” added Friedel. “I would think I would get a good reception.”

what will the traveling fans do?

Friedel hopes for a favourable reception from the visiting support but he insists even if it isn’t forthcoming it won’t tarnish his memories.

“I went to Blackburn on a free, gave them eight years of service and they a very good transfer fee was paid for me at the age of 37,” added Friedel. “I would think I would get a good reception.”

what will the traveling fans do?

I would give him a clap when he came towards our end either before the kick-off or after half time and then do my best to put him off, mock him etc for the 94 mins.

I like the way he makes it sound like he did us a series of big favours. Wasn't it more like, "They rescued my failing career by taking a punt on a reserve who had lost his confidence. I did my job well, but got well paid for it, and then after stating my undying loyalty, I admit I did jump ship, so I hope they respect my wishes for one last big pay-day to rescue my failing business."

I hope he gets an inital good reception, but not as good as Sir Roger was getting even 10 years after we sold him.

Archived