BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] F K Vetra 0 Blackburn Rovers 2

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result, poor performance first half, much better second.

Don't think you can read too much into today, by August 11th we'll hopefully be a lot sharper and fitter but if we play like that too often in the Prem we won't win many.

McCarthy was abysmal, his goal excepted. I guess you'd take 38 dire performances and 38 goals but I don't think he'll get away with that level of performance this season.

(Who was he gesturing at after his goal?) Their fans or ours?

Downside: Brad's too thin black socks and red boots which looked uncomfortably like black fishnets and red stilettos! :ph34r:

Great result, poor performance first half, much better second.

Don't think you can read too much into today, by August 11th we'll hopefully be a lot sharper and fitter but if we play like that too often in the Prem we won't win many.

McCarthy was abysmal, his goal excepted. I guess you'd take 38 dire performances and 38 goals but I don't think he'll get away with that level of performance this season.

(Who was he gesturing at after his goal?) Their fans or ours?

Downside: Brad's too thin black socks and red boots which looked uncomfortably like black fishnets and red stilettos! :ph34r:

It was definitley one of there fans, he gestured and if my lip readings not to bad i think he also said Bitch.

Did anyone watching on Setanta notice that the match summariser Tim Sherwood claimed we had turned down a "huge " bid from Spuds for MGP this summer?

News to me? :huh:

hmm...he had to get Spurs into the commentry somehow

Did anyone watching on Setanta notice that the match summariser Tim Sherwood claimed we had turned down a "huge " bid from Spuds for MGP this summer?

I'm pretty sure he said last summer, and not this summer.. and I also thought that Sherwood said MGP turned down spuds to stay at Rovers..?

our set pieces were very poor

Nothing's changed from last season then. Do Rovers ever work on set pieces in training or are they just naturally poor at taking them ?

Mark Hughes, who often likes to put a positive spin on performances, did at least admit after the game: "We are very early in our preparation and I think at times that showed. I'm sure our performance will improve." In other words, the players can and should be able to play better.

McCarthy was abysmal, his goal excepted. I guess you'd take 38 dire performances and 38 goals.

I don't think Fergie would put up with it Rev. After all, Van Nistelrooy had a period at United when his goal ratio was nearly one every game - but he was still shipped out of the club. Fergie demands more from his players. I hope that Hughes demands more from McCarthy....

we are a Prem side that should be able to string more than two passes together.

That was one of the problems we had against Bayer Leverkusen in the last 32 of the UEFA Cup last season. In both legs we couldn't keep the ball well enough. Surely the players are aware of the importance of keeping good possession ? Unfortunately their execution is often lousy.

Until this changes and players can start stringing some decent passes together, then their chances of progressing much further than the last 32 of the UEFA Cup is a bit of a pipe dream.

I fear there could be a fairly embarrassing attendance for the 2nd leg against Vetra this coming Saturday.

I fear there could be a fairly embarrassing attendance for the 2nd leg against Vetra this coming Saturday.

Posts already asking if the second leg is on the tv?.......dont think theres any worries about that one AESF!! <_<

£5 season ticket holders

£10 non- season ticket holders

£1 kids.

I am really glad there are others as confused about this Intertotup as I am. Game was a bit drab but we are through and good preseason work out, bit of a competitive edge can only do us good.

It's also on Setanta.

Is it confirmed its on setanta? They are showing 2 other games on Saturday afternoon (hearts and spuds games) and they only have 2 channels - unless they are going to show it on the golf or US channels. Guess we may be back to the favourite eurosport.........

It wasn't his only comment about clubs being after our players.

I'm getting fed up of TV pundits and the media in general doing their best to sell our best players. Tim Sherwood probably knows about as much as you or I do about what is really going on at Ewood in terms of players leaving and coming in.

Benni was no better or worse than any of the other players. His goal was very well taken, but no one shone in what wasn't the best of games. I think you will all keep picking on Benni until the day he leaves, then you'll be critical of him going, realise how difficult it is to actually score goals and say that the team isn't nearly as good without him.

I thought we controlled the game after we'd scored. A very professional performance considering where we're at in pre-season.

Should easily be enough to get through to the next round now and we'll be sharper than if we'd played a normal pre-season game. It's all good.

I thought we controlled the game after we'd scored. A very professional performance considering where we're at in pre-season.

Should easily be enough to get through to the next round now and we'll be sharper than if we'd played a normal pre-season game. It's all good.

Absolutely correct. Thank heavens for some common sense at last.

Already the usual knives are out further up the thread for the likes of McCarthy and Ooijer.

A team which has only played training games against Wrexham and Bielefeld, and which included two players who had broken legs not 6 months ago, has bagged a 2 zip away win in Europe against a team half way through a competitive season who had threatened to dump Legia Warsaw out even before the UEFA ban.

It's effectively a pre-season warm up ffs!!! Albeit one with a bonus prize at the end! Why on earth people are heralding doom and gloom in the Premiership "if we play like that" I just don't know. The PL doesn't even start for another 20 days!

I sometimes wonder what some people who post on here are looking for. Why not just enjoy the summer, watch some cricket, mow some lawns, have a bbq and pretend nothing's happening in blue and white circles - Rovers don't really play at all until 11th August.

I thought match "expert" Sherwood was actually quite supportive of us, towards the end he supported The Admiral after a challenge! He also regularly said that Benni was the best buy of last season!

And he supported Bentley's decision to snub the U21s. I don't particularly like Sherwood, but can't find much wrong with his contributions tonight.

And he supported Bentley's decision to snub the U21s. I don't particularly like Sherwood, but can't find much wrong with his contributions tonight.

But do you agree when he said Derbyshires goal was 'lucky'?, I didn't. I think it was a good strike, the placement was superb, keeper just couldn't get enough on it.

But do you agree when he said Derbyshires goal was 'lucky'?, I didn't. I think it was a good strike, the placement was superb, keeper just couldn't get enough on it.

Clearly the wind up idiot of the MB is being allowed to stray from ICBINF to the football area, which is not a good thing.

It's not a great strike is it, it just hits the bobbly pitch just in front of the experienced goalkeeper there, and he can't stop it. But erm, first time Matt Derbyshire's touched the ball, he's playing unfamiliar outside right, finds himself tucked in off the line, good touch, gets it out of his feet and smashes it - it's not the best of strikes, I bet he's surprised he's scored from there but he'll take it - it's his name on the scoresheet, and GOOD LUCK TO THE YOUNG MAN.

Sherwood goes on to say how Matty will be used playing on pitches like that one cos he's from Harrod, and compliments him on how quickly he's made good from there.

Rovers performance more professional and self-contained than some of the MB comments about it.

Usual service resumed then.

Rovers looked and were very short of match fitness and match practise. Kept the ball well but Vetra didn't exactly make it difficult for Rovers to knock it about.

Could be a big score back at Ewood if Hughes has knocked some killer instinct into more players.

Archived