BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage - The Bad Apple

Roost

There is surely more to this than meets the eye. In normal circumstances, Savage would surely fancy his chances to regaining his place in the first team. Imo, everything points to a fall-out between Hughes and Savage and the latter now thinks that he is unfairly being left out (i.e not on ability).

So, although there's no proof that Savage is dividing the dressing room, old "padi", starter of this thread, did not deserve the complacent derision s/he received.

Thanks Rover6.

Interesting how things have panned out eh?

Are you reading this Den? :P

One Love - BRFC

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given Mokoena and the ANC it is highly unlikely that Savage will leave unless there is a ready-made replacement. We just don't have the midfield cover. Maybe Hughes sees Reid as the longer term prospect for the "earn the right to play" role in midfield? If I'm honest, I think that Mokoena is a liability and I'd rather keep Savage. Mokoena dives in picking up needless bookings, he seems incapable of trapping a ball, let alone passing it 5 yards, and his head must be shaped like a 50p because his defensive headers can go any which way.

if one player has to leave between savage or mokoena its got to be savage...

he is 33 now, whereas mokoena is 27..savage is probably one more money, and id say mokoena is slightly better then savage...

all i believe savage is good for is the banter in the dressing room, other then that, i dont feel he is needed...he helped us to stay up, and maybe thats what sort of team he is best playing for..but for rovers he isnt good enough..

if we can get 2million for a 33yr old id be well pleased...

I think Robbie is probably getting close to his sell by date.

He`s never been the most graceful player, nor has he endeared himself to football fans in general with his theatrical exploits on the field but he always seems to bring a fighting spirit to which-ever team he`s played for. In recent months i`ve noticed a lack of 'fight' & 'will to go that extra yard' for the cause with the Rovers team. Maybe the the two are related, i don`t know.

If anybody can sort it, it`s got to be Hughes. He`s paid to make big decisions.

If he thinks Robbie isn`t as effective as he used to be or has started causing ripples in the pond, he`s got to get rid. I for one will always appreciate what he`s done for the club though.

if we could sell savage and manage to bring in someone like lassana diarra that would be a perfect piece of business

Cant see it but I agree it would be a top result.

On a separate note 'arrod - I heard that there were some shinannigins in The Weavers between Rovers & Accy Stanley fans - any truth in this rumour? Been out of the country for a few days so not up to speed with everything.

Cant see it but I agree it would be a top result.

On a separate note 'arrod - I heard that there were some shinannigins in The Weavers between Rovers & Accy Stanley fans - any truth in this rumour? Been out of the country for a few days so not up to speed with everything.

not heard nething but i wouldnt be surprised - can get a bit rough to say the least!

dont need to tell someone from padiham about rough pubs though eh :rolleyes: hehe

I can't believe Hughes would sell Savage just because he believes £2 million (or whatever fee it is) is a great fee for someone of his age. I say if Savage can still perform like we know he can for another season and a half then he's much better than having £2 million. Over the past 3 years he's been the best midfield partner for Reid, Tugay, and earlier this season, Dunn.

I can only assume Hughes has seen something in training to suggest Savage has lost his sharpness and just can't cut it anymore.

If Sav goes we'll be losing a player who has been as important as any in the success enjoyed during the Hughes reign. Massive shoes to fill - I'm concerned we're looking at letting him go with no real indication of who we might get to replace him.

At least somebody is talking some sense.

I feel that we'll miss Savage when he goes. He and Dunn were acein the centre together earlier in the season.

Sav was not quite right after the broken leg but still putting in decent performances. However, it just seemed to fall apart for him after the knee operation.

I cannot remember which game it was but one of the home defeats- Mokoena put in a woeful performance and got subbed at half time. The Axe was duly slated by all on here but if anything, Savage's performance in the second half was even worse than the Axe's first half.

Sav has lost that bit of pace which means his whole game is nullified now. That has been confirmed in each of his occasional appearances since the operation.

If you chuck in the possibility the rumours of him moaning about not getting a start (and Sparky has now as good as confirmed them) then getting decent cash now before his value falls off a cliff whilst potential buyers can surmise the dressing room bust-up is behind the willingness to sell makes very good sense.

Jason Roberts is a different case but he has clearly been in a strop most of the season as his behaviour in the European games showed. Roberts is an honest toiler who causes problems to opponents but nobody has remotely argued that he is good enough to win us European qualification because he isn't.

Ordinarilly I would say buy before selling but with these two, I don't think it matters if we sell early in the window so long as we get £2m each for them.

if we could sell savage and manage to bring in someone like lassana diarra that would be a perfect piece of business

Oh dear me; I don't think we really want a player with a name like that. Quite likely to get misquoted I suspect...Lasagna Diarhoea?

Odd this, speculation cos Savage was left off the squad against Derby. Now I am not saying he is no tgoing if the right price is offered but I heard from Sparky's lips that Sav was not in the squad due to an injury. Isn't that good enough?

Now I am not saying he is no tgoing if the right price is offered but I heard from Sparky's lips that Sav was not in the squad due to an injury. Isn't that good enough?

Nobody seems to have linked to Sunderland told to up their bid from tonights LET.

Interesting that the last quote from Hughes in that article when asked if savage would figure against Sunderland was "We'll see what happens. If I feel he is in the right frame of mind, he will play. But if I don't, he won't."

I think he'll probably put him on the bench. Send out the message that he is available but also that unless we get the right fee we're still prepared to utilise him. If he's not on the bench there's a very good chance Sunderland will be snapping him up sooner rather than latter.

Personally I think that as long as we get the reported 1.5 million that Mark Hughes seems to be waiting for it wont be a bad bit of business for all parties involved.

Since Savage has come back from his broken leg he seems to have lost that 'edge' that made his game beneficial to the team. He seems to have lost some of that 'never die' spirit that has served him well over the seasons.

I would however like to see the funds spent on a young centre midfielder who is technically gifted ala Tugay, rather than a combatative midfielder in the mould of Savage and/or Mokoena. As for who I shall leave that for Sparky

I would love to see us move for Diarra. He's ten times better than Huddlestone and would probably command a similar transfer fee, albeit larger wages.

I have to disagree with you Dopper, with us facing the possibility of losing both Savage and Mokoena by the end of the season, I'd say a combative midfielder is becoming a necessity. Central midfield is becoming a real concern when you consider that Tugay, Mokoena and Savage may all have left the club come summer. That leaves us with Reid, who hasn't yet proved his fitness or returned to his old form, and Dunn who can play in the centre.

I can't believe Hughes would sell Savage just because he believes £2 million (or whatever fee it is) is a great fee for someone of his age. I say if Savage can still perform like we know he can for another season and a half then he's much better than having £2 million. Over the past 3 years he's been the best midfield partner for Reid, Tugay, and earlier this season, Dunn.

I can only assume Hughes has seen something in training to suggest Savage has lost his sharpness and just can't cut it anymore.

Excellent post DP, the first paragraph sums up my feelings exactly.

Strangely enough it now seems to boil down to financial rather than footballing considerations. "We'll sell at 2m but not at 1m" etc.

Do we really need 2m quid that badly?

Whats gets me is the rather general assumption that a top quality replacement can be found, even with 2m.

I'd be surprised if one can.

Well the noises coming out of Ewood suggest we do if we are to buy anyone. I can't imagine anything exciting will happen in January. PL status is secure, CL qualification is very unlikely, UEFA qualification doesn't earn any cash. I think Rovers will hold off till the summer. It will also be interesting to see what the annual accounts say in a few weeks time.

Whats gets me is the rather general assumption that a top quality replacement can be found, even with 2m.

I'd be surprised if one can.

Reid is returning after 18 months out of action, which is like signing a new player.

Savage's game always depended on extreme physical fitness : anything less and he is not effective. Hughes has probably decided that at 33 he will never get back to his best.

When the Sunderland story first came out, I thought we would need to keep Savage (especially with the Axe being away for most of January). However, after thinking about it, we probaly have enough cover.

Players who can play in central midfield (while Axe is away): Tugay, Dunn, Reid, and at a push Bentley then Emerton.

Considering Savs recent form and age, £1.75million+ would be good business for us.

Same applies with Roberts, if we can get a decent price, get rid.

my views on sav are well documented, on a recent thread.

he's done a dencent job for us over the last couple of seasons, but he's nothing to offer us anymore.

i'd pose another question. do we really need savage that badly ?

It all smells like he's on his way. I'd get rid too based on what is coming out. I would also say that he looks to have lost a yard since his two injuries and he's someone who really needs it. A fee plus him off the wage bill is good business for a 33 year old.

Archived