BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Not The Middlesbrough Preview.

den

MOTM?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

• Friedel
    • Ooijer
    • Samba
    • Nelsen
    • Warnock
    • Betnley
    • Dunn
    • Reid
    • Pedersen
    • Roberts
    • Santa Cruz
    • Emerton
    • Derbyshire

What was the freekick given for that led to their goal?

As for their goal it wasn't the best of defending by Nelsen but from where I was was sat it was basically down to a bad blunder by Friedel. It was a header from within the six yard box and Brad had ample time to cut it out had he come off his line.

Agree 100%. Brad should have come for that, far too often he stays glued to the goal line when there are crosses he should be able to get catch or punch easily.

I thought Reid looked much better after Dunn had been subbed, he had far more space in the middle to work in.

We came off the game today discussing Brads wonder save from Tuncay in the second half. We couldn't work out how he saved it.

All was revealed on MOTD, he didn't get anywhere near it :lol: It was down to the view we had from the BBE.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree 100%. Brad should have come for that, far too often he stays glued to the goal line when there are crosses he should be able to get catch or punch easily.

I think you and Rev are overly harsh on Friedel there. If you have to blame an individual it should be Nelsen - Wheater is his man and he's let him run in without challenge from 15 yards away - Nelsen should have had him for breakfast.

However it's a team game and IMO to concede from that free kick is very poor collectively, and stems from the training ground. Which is very worrying.

Samba and Bentley were marking thin air - why?? There was a half-arsed attempt at a two man wall which didn't even survive until Downing struck the dead ball because one of the two peeled off for no reason - why??

RSC and Roberts were back helping in numbers, Warnock and Ooijer did what they had to do. That's 9 out of 10 outfield players defending a bog standard, simple set piece - which should be bread and butter routine drilled in to the players in training. It was hardly a stunning free kick or a ground breaking run to get on the end of it.

It was shocking defending all round with outfield players poorly drilled, poorly prepared, poorly positioned and too slow to react.

Anyone else notice something being thrown at Brad just before the final whistle (when the Boro player was getting treated for cramp in our goalmouth)?. A couple of us in the Riverside spotted it, but I don't think any of the stewards in the Darwen End did. :angry2:

I saw it too.

The game.......played 5h1t again. Lucky to get away with a draw.

The problem is that there are to many games best forgotten. However its just not a Rovers thing, more and more games in the premiership are becoming non events. Safe from relegation, players dont have to perform, knowing full well their inflated salaries and egos are protected. :(

You know I'll agree with you on this point Alan, in fact I was expressing the view perhaps two years ago. To be honest I've moved past caring about it. Life simply gets too tense if one gets all fired up about the PL being a non-competitive leage ruled by money alone. The most disappointing thing about yesterday was the players reaction to the atmosphere. I thought both sets of fans were up for it - strange when you think Boro are completely uninspiring and Rovers are just coming out of a tough period - but instead of a reaction from the players and an exciting game we were treated to the sort of stodge that sends one to sleep in front of the telly.

There was a pundit on Radio Five yesterday saying if your team is placed between 5th and 15th your game today is meaningless and so it will be for the rest of the season. I think he's about right. In Rovers case the bad patch which included the home defeats by Villa and Portsmouth has cost our club the possibility of CL football next year, something the players don't seem very worried about. Winning those two games would mean today we would be fourth, 4 points clear of Liverpool, City, Everton, Villa as it is we are bobbling around in mid-table from now till May. Just watch the gates drop off.

Great performance from Reidy, and a good one from Ooijer..............and that was about it. Very lucky to get a point; Boro should have easily had 7 goals. Yet again Rovers were dreadful, if we continue to play like this the crowds and next seasons ST sales will drop off.

Roberts was the pits and their was no crowd atmosphere even though the BBE Lower was one of the fullest times this season.

What I noticed most was NO DRUMMER !!!

NO DRUMMER = NO ATMOSPHERE

Where was the drummer; bring him back now!

I watch the match on tv last night.

the defence was aweful, there did not work as a unit, some were pushing up and some were standing off, outcome, three got behind our defence all the time and how they did not score is beyond me,

however once again, the midfield did not help and much work needs to be done.

forwards I hope roberts stays, but only as a sub and only for the last 20 min or so. when he has to face a good defence is touch and skill lets him down a bit. The higher you go the more skill is needed.

Most of the time a point as home is two points droped. however for this game it is a point gained, but how we did it I will never know.

I heard the drummer on TV.

Thankfully, the usual Boro turned up. Making gilt-edged chances and missing them- Rovers are not the only beneficiaries as practically every other Prem club has had let-offs like the ones we got yesterday.

Horrible mistake to play Roberts. The big lumps at the back for Boro predictably pocketed Roberts whereas Benni would have made something happen eventually.

The goal was neither a slice nor a scuff. It was a block on the shot that went nicely to Matty.

I thought MGP was continuing to improve, Reid and Ooijer played well, Samba is class but needs a system putting around him as when he ventures out of position good things come from it until another Rover loses the ball.

Dunn needs shooting practise=lot's of it. Bentley's deliveries were poor yesterday and sadly, Rovers are such a one trick pony that when that happens we lose 75% of our threat.

The goal conceded was an absolute disgrace- it was a straight forwards run by a lump of a defender. If we cannot defend against those then we are not going to stop conceding such stupid goals. The ball was delivered by Downing far too quickly for Friedel to have come out to claim- it was a class free kick but no way should we have let a goal in like that.

Not nearly as tiresome as your 'the end of the world is nigh' hyperbole.

As a Manc caller said on 606, we played the better football but 'Boro worked the better chances as we chased the game. First half 'Boro were as bad as I've seen this season, nothing like the slick outfit you suggest. Second half they had a fist of chances and defended deeply, making it very difficult for us. Reid was a lot better, whilst Warnock, Bentley and Roberts were disappointing. Dunn too was improved.

Let's not forget that we did OK at Bolton too. We're not playing well, but we're not awful either.

At least there's two of us Paul. Rovers were hardly wonderful in the first half but Boro were dreadful - apart from the goal we gave them they presented no threat whatsoever. In the second half they exploited space and lack of pace at the back to create a few chances they should have scored from and put the game beyond us but they didn't. Apart from that we were banging against a brick wall of defenders, encumbered with a striker who is at his worst in that situation. Roberts can't play his way through a crowded defence - he needs space to run into which just wasn't there. We needed someone with a bit of guile and a few tricks to make something happen, who instead stayed on the bench.

Roberts did less in 90 mins than he did in 15 against Bolton. Bentley easily our best player. Emerton did well when he came on (I think he might end up playing central midfield quite a lot).Cruz showed skill and pace but not really any end product. Reid and Dunn were very poor. Ooijer impressed me. Warnock had an up and down game. Fredial okay. Samba easily our best defender.

The bold bits........ You're kidding right? :rock: Bentley was absolutely awful and Reid had his best game since getting back in the side ....... imo. Apart from that you've got everything else about right.

A combination of giving away far too many needless free kicks and then not being able to defend good balls into our box will see us in big trouble against the Aston Villa Giants next Saturday.

Nelsen needs dropping now, he has made Davies and Aliadiere look like decent strikers on consecutive weekends.

Wouldn't it be nice to score first for once? Boro showed yesterday how difficult you can make it by grabbing a lead and defending deep and we have to be pleased with a draw on the balance of play.

The ref was an oddity.

1. He managed to be loudly booed by both sets of fans.

2. The free kick count was amazingly one sided .... like one of ours when playing at Arsenal or MU. 3. The free kick that lead to their goal was mystefying. Also he gave Rovers two early free kicks for Boro's centre half climbing all over Jason Roberts before proceeding to totally ignore carbon copy offences countless times for the next 85 minutes. Strange.

Yeah, the referee looked totally out of his depth - mind he wasn't the only one on the pitch to which that comment applies. From our team Nelsen, Warnock, MGP, Roberts were woeful.

I actually thought Sparky fell into a trap by picking Roberts to start this game against those defenders. Roberts and Derbyshire are both only impact players at Premier League level at the moment. I actually don't know how he is to resolve the defensive issues we have, because that is what is costing us points and has been since October.

The crowd needs to stop criticizing the players for retaining posession which yes does mean passing back sometimes and starting again because the other option is to lump it up for those giant defenders to claim the ball. Patience is needed by players and fans alike.

Can somebody remind me what it is like to score the first goal in a game as I have forgotten how it feels. Once we get back to doing that then we can see how other teams react to going behind - Rovers react very well but it cannot continue or any Euro hopes will drift by.

At least there's two of us Paul. Rovers were hardly wonderful in the first half but Boro were dreadful - apart from the goal we gave them they presented no threat whatsoever. In the second half they exploited space and lack of pace at the back to create a few chances they should have scored from and put the game beyond us but they didn't. Apart from that we were banging against a brick wall of defenders, encumbered with a striker who is at his worst in that situation. Roberts can't play his way through a crowded defence - he needs space to run into which just wasn't there. We needed someone with a bit of guile and a few tricks to make something happen, who instead stayed on the bench.

That's more or less as I saw it too. However we did improve noticeably when Bert and Derbs came on. Bert (playing out of position) was fairly effective in probing the Boro defence and he did actually beat his man and get in a cross on two or three occasions. Up front, Derbs was as alert as usual and did well to get just the right touch on that deflected shot/cross from Roberts, and turn it into a goal instead of yet another miss.

Overall this was a poor game from both teams point of view. From Rovers point of view though it was very poor as a defensive show, and again our once so reliable captain was the main culpritt, with also normally reliable Warnock having a 'mare.

Yesterday was awful simple as that - gaining a point felt like three.

Nelsen, if he wasn't the captain would be dropped - His fault for first and Wheater did him again when he hit the bar. He is out of his depth at present. Ooijer and Samba would make a better defensive pairing at present.

MGP needs a month off.

Neither Roberts or Derbyshire are good enough to start - both are great off the bench.

As a few folk have commented, Roberts showed why he hasn't started too often : from what I see, he's basically an upgraded Shefki. I was crying out, as I suspect quite a few others were, for Benni to come on for the second half. Horses for courses, and Roberts has to accept that his 'course' is the last 20 mins in the vast majority of games.

To look at the positives, thought Ooijer had a very decent game at RB by the way, and Emerton looked lively when he came on (at left wing!).

Ooijer did ok at right back, nothing special, but I thought we missed the energy and options Emerton gives us down the right hand side.

With Nelsen in such poor form it might be worth trying Ooijer and Samba at centre back for a spell.

Everyone is criticising Roberts but it was him making a nuisance of himself which led to our equaliser, fortuitous or not.

Ooijer did ok at right back, nothing special, but I thought we missed the energy and options Emerton gives us down the right hand side.

With Nelsen in such poor form it might be worth trying Ooijer and Samba at centre back for a spell.

Everyone is criticising Roberts but it was him making a nuisance of himself which led to our equaliser, fortuitous or not.

That has to be one of the weakest defences of a player ever "making a nuisance of himself" - excuse me but I want more from my premier league centre forwards than that, things like touch, an eye for goal, close control etc. So JRs big impact was a misshit which fell kindly for Derbyshire. I bet Huth and Wheater were delighted when they saw Benedict had not been selected because regardless of his return this season he has skill, he links up play and pulls defenders out of position i.e. exactly the type of player that neither 'boro centrehalf would appreciate. Putting someone against them who relies on overpowering his opposition was a wrong option imho.

Ooijer showed exactly how to a defender plays full back role - good positioning, reading of the game, no nonsense tackling, even managing to clear shots of the line. Emerton shows how a midfielder plays the full back role - more energy and dynamism going forward and a good foil for Bentley. However given our defensive record over the last 3 months I would prefer my defenders to defend, but that is obviously personal choice.

As for your earlier blaming of Friedal for their goal it was a great inswinging cross which the keeper had no chance - rather he needed his centrehalf to do his duty. Certainly I wish Bents had put in as good a cross given his numerous opportunities yesterday.

However we did improve noticeably when Bert and Derbs came on.

It's because the injected pace into the team. They stretched the Boro defence, not allowing them to bunch up in the middle waiting for the inevitable Bentley cross as they had been doing.

Bert's much better on the left wing because, whilst he doesn't have a very strong left foot, his tendency to cut back inside is much more threatening when he's doing so onto his right. On that note, Derbyshire's not a winger, but once again he displayed a fine predatory instinct for the tap in.

It's because the injected pace into the team. They stretched the Boro defence, not allowing them to bunch up in the middle waiting for the inevitable Bentley cross as they had been doing.

Bert's much better on the left wing because, whilst he doesn't have a very strong left foot, his tendency to cut back inside is much more threatening when he's doing so onto his right. On that note, Derbyshire's not a winger, but once again he displayed a fine predatory instinct for the tap in.

Hmmm! That might just be an answer to our current problems, at least until we get some re-inforcements.

Try Emmo on the left wing position, and put Ooijer at RB with Zurab and Samba as CB's.

Also I think yesterday showed that Roberts is far better coming off the bench, as also is Derbs. So we need to revert to RSC and Benni up front.

"We're having a great season. We're chasing a Champions League place," said John Williams a week ago.

Anybody who saw yesterday's shambles - which could have ended up 1-5 to 'Boro - would have quickly realised that in reality we're a million miles away from being a Champions League team.

I have to dispute the assessment of Mr Williams that this has been a "great season" for Rovers. We've been humiliated in Europe, humiliated and embarrassed in the FA Cup and humiliated at the JJB Stadium against Wigan. I know that we happen to be in the top half of the Premiership (with some pretty mediocre teams below us) , but for me this does not constitute a "great season".

I know that Mr Williams probably likes to be positive (and I suppose it's preferable to the previous "survival is the main aim" mantra of Souness) but there's a danger that when the chairman talks about having a "great season" he comes across as being slightly patronising when many Rovers fans can see with their own eyes that we've been bloody awful in a number of matches this season.

For me it would have been better if Mr Williams had said something along the lines of: "We try to set our standards high at this club and want to finish as high as possible in the Premiership, but there have been some big disappointments this season and times when the players have not done themselves justice in games."

Our so-called "strongest ever squad in Rovers' history" according to PhilipL is actually proving to be deficient in a number of areas. We've got defenders who struggle to deal with defending simple set-pieces, a midfield that loses possession cheaply and lacks creativity and invention; and a left-sided midfielder in Pedersen who struggles to get into decent positions, let alone actually delivers quality crosses.

Up front we've got a strikeforce that blows hot and cold with a player in Roberts who only seems able to have an impact in the last 20 minutes and a sulky South African sitting on the bench yesterday who has admitted that he couldn't play properly earlier in the season because his mind was on Mourinho and Chelsea. Apart from that our squad is fine....

If you watch a La Liga match.. I mean really watch not just have one eye on it like pub wallpaper, you will see some fantastic exiting play.

The other week on Sky I watched about 30 minutes of a La Liga game between Levante and Real Madrid. Although Levante are rock bottom of La Liga, they actually impressed me with the quality of their passing and movement. Levante lost the match 2-0 but they displayed some good technical skills in the game. It reinforced my view that teams at the bottom of La Liga like Real Betis, Osasuna and Levante have more technical quality than teams at the bottom of the Premiership like Derby, Sunderland and Wigan.

There's so much hype about the Premiership with some pundits in the media insisting that it's the best league in the world. But in reality apart from the big four of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool, who have completely dominated our league for the past five years, the quality of many other teams in the Premiership is poor. And we shouldn't kid ourselves that just because Rovers are in the top half of the Premiership that somehow we've got a wonderful team. In Europe our deficiencies were cruelly exposed against Larissa.

It was shocking defending all round with outfield players poorly drilled, poorly prepared, poorly positioned and too slow to react.

Agreed Tris, but ultimately the ones responsible for this poor preparation at set-pieces are the management team of Messrs Hughes, Bowen and Niedzwiecki.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that Hughes should go. But he really needs to sort out some of the defensive shambles that has been all too evident this season.

Or are they a bit complacent knowing we don't have the cash to bring replacements in?

That's something I had mentioned a bit back, that coupled with the fact that there really isn't anything coming through our ranks to push them either. Then add to the mix Gamst has been crap most of the season, still gets picked every week. Nelsen is on a poor run, still gets picked every week. Where's the incentive?

Anyone watched Dunny's body language and facial expressions lately he looks well ###### off, doesn't look like he's enjoying himself at all.

Why is it that Bentley takes every free kick? OK he does get an occasional goal but when you have tried the same free kick three times in one match without success then it's time to go to plan B (if we have one that is?)

Pederson doesn't get a sniff unless its wide right and neither does Reid who we all know can hit a mean shot from distance?

Methinks a bit of invention on the training pitch is required

It's been a long time since I've seen a team use their hands as much as Boro. Mostly to push our players or hold them down. But we should have been good enough to beat that shower. Main positive for me was Reid starting to prove he is over his injury.

MOTM was Tugay for the half-time draw

I noticed from the start that the centre backs were nudging our strikers just before the ball came to them, but that the nudging was not limited to them. It was absolutely amazing, and the ref never seemed to see it.

It was also interesting to see Tugay wearing a Rovers coat rather than the smart suit usually worn by younger team mates. My wife speculated that he was saying he was more of a team player!

If you shop, as the Rovers do, in footballing Netto, don't expect a meal of Gordon Ramsay quality.

The fact that we dod as well as we do is a minor miracle, and its about time the professional knockers faced that very simple fact.

If you have a defence that cost less than £4m, what do you expect? Everton have spent more on single players than our first team cost. City have spent £40m. And on it goes. Heaven forbid we ever get relegated, you'll be crying like a lot of teenage girls.

Thank (Please don't use that word again) you don't run the club AESF, the players and and would be passing 'round the happy pills.

Archived