BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Rovers Newest Signing

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You make a lot of decent points in your post - but then undo them with this :rolleyes:

So, what would you describe Lampard as?

I would descibe him as a box-to-box midfielder who is extremely good at getting in to the box and shooting from outside the box.

I will also say that Andrews is a box-to-box midfielder not as good as lampard, but has some of the same attributes. He also scored a cracking goal for ROI from outside the box.

[quote name='alexanders' date='20 November 2009 - 09:52 AM' tin advance.

About the worst central midfielders in the EPL. The following are IMO worse than Andrews:

- Mokoena

- Tainio

- Barmby

- Boateng

- Castillo

You've worked hard there but you still have him 35th out of 40---------you're a real fan!

A world class manager (Trap) got a world class performance out of Andrews last night, against a supposedly world class team with their world class midfield.

:lol:

Oh dear Tris. There was nothing world class about either team. The Irish work hard and were certainly worth a win, - but the French and especially their midfield, are nowhere near to the force or quality that they used to be.

Some people going overboard here. Talk from Fife of Andrews improved form for rovers recently, even in the face of his last two full appearences against Chelsea and Man U, which were absolutely awful. Someone else discussing his recent improvements for the Irish as well. It all goes against what the actuality really is.

If it's Jonnolad you're annoyed with on this thread tcj, it seems rather strange to tear into tashor on only his second post on the subject.

A world class manager (Trap) got a world class performance out of Andrews last night, against a supposedly world class team with their world class midfield. Despite the fact that Andrews himself is far from world class, and was surrounded by colleagues who are also well below average.

No Rovers fan can take that away, even though the ultimate prize was robbed from the entire Ireland team.

Most Irish players will return to their clubs proud and motivated, even if gutted. They will take deserved praise and consolation from their fans.

Keith Andrews (apparently MoM in some quarters yesterday) will come back to ridicule and hate at Blackburn Rovers because of entrenched views like your own.

Perhaps Allardyce is partly to blame, for picking him and then restricting him (as he restricts all his players). In which case, question the manager rather than the player.

There are kids all over Ireland - in fact all over the world - kids with a bit of ability, but perhaps not the shining light in their particular year group -- daring to dream that they can reach the same world stage which Keith Andrews reached last night. He deserved and Ireland deserved to go one better to the ultimate month of football, the World Cup Finals.

That in itself is a massive inspiration, and we should be proud of our player. I struggle to understand why our own fans are using this situation to further undermine Keith Andrews.

Tris, I was laying into Tashor because he was referring to a number of people with reasonable and well-founded criticisms of Andrews, including myself, as the C word. I will generally post in a polite manner unless I'm rubbed up the wrong way or if somebody has been unnecessarily rude or offensive. Jonnolad is one of those people whom which I first tried to have a reasoned debate with on Andrews, but then whom became unnecessarily sarcastic and rude. He has a clear agenda and is also clearly on a wind-up, therefore I don't hold back. Then again, I probably shouldn't bite...

My views are entrenched, but based upon a season-and-a-half of largely poor or inadequate performances from a man that should be in the prime of his career. I've always said that when he made his debut in the game against West Ham where we were absolutely awful that I had a really good feeling about him and that he might surprise a few. Unfortunately, he never really shone after that for me. I certainly had no pre-conceived judgements on him.

I will always praise a player when I feel it is due. At the Gillingham game, which obviously we were both at, I had a bit of a joke with Neil about Andrews before the game, but when people came on the board and criticised him, I did defend him. I'm actually annoyed that I missed the Ireland game the other night because I'd have loved to have seen this performance - because I haven't seen anything close to 'world class' or even above average from him as yet. Most importantly, he isn't being ridiculed for his performance with the national side, certainly not from me anyway. I'm certainly not using this game to further undermine him. I'm gutted for him, I've seen images post-match and he looked devastated.

Mokoena is arguably a poorer player, but when he first came to the club he at least performed very well in a deep lying ball winner in midfield. He was integral to our side becoming difficult to beat under Hughes and a reasonably big reason for why we steered clear of relegation. He also cost a fraction of the price that Andrews did. He was also an international captain. I don't think that Andrews has put in anywhere near the level of performance that the Axe did. If he does, then he'll get my praie, but I don't see that ever happening.

Tris, I was laying into Tashor because he was referring to a number of people with reasonable and well-founded criticisms of Andrews, including myself, as the C word. I will generally post in a polite manner unless I'm rubbed up the wrong way or if somebody has been unnecessarily rude or offensive. Jonnolad is one of those people whom which I first tried to have a reasoned debate with on Andrews, but then whom became unnecessarily sarcastic and rude. He has a clear agenda and is also clearly on a wind-up, therefore I don't hold back. Then again, I probably shouldn't bite...

My views are entrenched, but based upon a season-and-a-half of largely poor or inadequate performances from a man that should be in the prime of his career. I've always said that when he made his debut in the game against West Ham where we were absolutely awful that I had a really good feeling about him and that he might surprise a few. Unfortunately, he never really shone after that for me. I certainly had no pre-conceived judgements on him.

I will always praise a player when I feel it is due. At the Gillingham game, which obviously we were both at, I had a bit of a joke with Neil about Andrews before the game, but when people came on the board and criticised him, I did defend him. I'm actually annoyed that I missed the Ireland game the other night because I'd have loved to have seen this performance - because I haven't seen anything close to 'world class' or even above average from him as yet. Most importantly, he isn't being ridiculed for his performance with the national side, certainly not from me anyway. I'm certainly not using this game to further undermine him. I'm gutted for him, I've seen images post-match and he looked devastated.

Mokoena is arguably a poorer player, but when he first came to the club he at least performed very well in a deep lying ball winner in midfield. He was integral to our side becoming difficult to beat under Hughes and a reasonably big reason for why we steered clear of relegation. He also cost a fraction of the price that Andrews did. He was also an international captain. I don't think that Andrews has put in anywhere near the level of performance that the Axe did. If he does, then he'll get my praie, but I don't see that ever happening.

Goood post, If only Keith could only put a foot in and win the ball with more regularity then for me, that would be enough. But sadly, he doesnt do that. Hes Ok against your Wolverhamptons of this world, but anything of a higher standard and hes struggling it doesnt take a genious to see this.

I struggle to understand why our own fans are using this situation to further undermine Keith Andrews.

And like most genuine fans I struggle to understand why some supposed fans are seeking to undermine the manager.

Andrews by his standards apparently had a good game for Ireland on Wednesday in which case the question has to be asked why he cannot reproduce that form for Rovers.

The answer must be that either 1) the Premier League is tougher than international football 2) he is not good enough to play in Allardyce's system 3) he cares more about playing for Ireland than he does for Rovers.

If it is the third case he has some explaining to do to the manager.

laugh.gif

Oh dear Tris. There was nothing world class about either team. The Irish work hard and were certainly worth a win, - but the French and especially their midfield, are nowhere near to the force or quality that they used to be.

Some people going overboard here. Talk from Fife of Andrews improved form for rovers recently, even in the face of his last two full appearences against Chelsea and Man U, which were absolutely awful. Someone else discussing his recent improvements for the Irish as well. It all goes against what the actuality really is.

Now then Den! (tut tut). One should never make assumptions. The fact is I did not see either of the two games you refer to for the simple reason that I do not travel to away matches, and I do not have the TV channel on which these games were shown. Added to which none of the channels I do have were allowed to show any part of the matches even well after the event, so I had no inkling of how any of the players had performed in these two matches.

Consequently I base my opinions only on matches I have seen live and that means all the home games except the W.Ham match which I could not get down for. So in the light of this I stand firmly behind my opinion that Andrews has shown some improvement in the home matches that I have seen this season, and that there are still a lot of people on this site that for whatever reason are obviously quite determined not to even try to judge his performance objectively and without prejudice; this in spite of the fact that they DO NOT apply this grossly unfair bias to their opinions of other Rovers players eg Diouf, MGP etc who have all had their turn at being scapegoats over the piece, but who occasionally get a bit of praise as well. Not so poor old Andrews..... I don't care what anyone else thinks; that is just plain inexcusable bigotry!!

Now then Den! (tut tut). One should never make assumptions. The fact is I did not see either of the two games you refer to for the simple reason that I do not travel to away matches, and I do not have the TV channel on which these games were shown. Added to which none of the channels I do have were allowed to show any part of the matches even well after the event, so I had no inkling of how any of the players had performed in these two matches.

Consequently I base my opinions only on matches I have seen live and that means all the home games except the W.Ham match which I could not get down for. So in the light of this I stand firmly behind my opinion that Andrews has shown some improvement in the home matches that I have seen this season, and that there are still a lot of people on this site that for whatever reason are obviously quite determined not to even try to judge his performance objectively and without prejudice; this in spite of the fact that they DO NOT apply this grossly unfair bias to their opinions of other Rovers players eg Diouf, MGP etc who have all had their turn at being scapegoats over the piece, but who occasionally get a bit of praise as well. Not so poor old Andrews..... I don't care what anyone else thinks; that is just plain inexcusable bigotry!!

Rubish about bigotry, its based purely on his effective contribution to the team and what the probabilities are of winning premier league football games with Keef in the team.

If you had your eyes closed during the second half against Burnley, the Arsenal game away, and the Man U game away, then thats the only way I could accept your reasoning of Keef Andrews more recent Rovers performances because hes simply been bobbins.

Also for anyone to compare Keef with Mark Atkins gives Mark Atkins great discredit.

I'm not having a go at you Fife, I value the contributions of the older fans probably more than some of the younger ones - so why the "tut tut" - I don't know?

I was simply commenting on your assessment that Keef had improved over the season. You can't say that and then say you haven't seen his recent awful performances. and I do object to being labelled a bigot Fife, just because I don't rate one of our players.

I'm not having a go at you Fife, I value the contributions of the older fans probably more than some of the younger ones - so why the "tut tut" - I don't know?

I was simply commenting on your assessment that Keef had improved over the season. You can't say that and then say you haven't seen his recent awful performances. and I do object to being labelled a bigot Fife, just because I don't rate one of our players.

Oh dear Den....you seem to have got completely the wrong impression from my post. The "tut tut" was meant tongue in cheek (I thought obviously) but if you did not see it that way then please accept my apologies. It was just meant to be a jocular "admonishment" for your assumption that I must have seen the Man U and Chelsea matches, and which is why I went on to explain why I had not seen either of those nor indeed any of Rovers away matches.

As for the rest, I can indeed say that based on the matches I have seen (every home match except the W.Ham) I do see an improvement in Andrews performances overall. If you cant see it, then so be it. It comes down to a difference of opinion that's all. And I most certainly did not mean you when referring to the bigotry. I know you have on more than one occasion said that Andrews has either done better in a particular match or in other words implied that you could see whatever good point that was under debate at the time. So by the very definition of a bigot (a person who deliberately refuses to admit to something he knows to be true and stubbonly refuses to even think about any evidence to the contrary) the term does not and never has applied to you. I did not think that needed saying to be honest, but again if you misunderstood I aplogise.

There are however a number of people on here that actually do fit the bigot description. Most of us know who they are, and I am not going to descend into an unseemly row on this thread by naming them; it is after all only my opinion but backed up by a careful analysis of the various posts and the way that these people have responded when challenged by other posters.

Honestly, I'd give Andrews another run in the team, at least for a couple of games. Maybe the Ireland situation will have lighten a fire under his feet. If he can play for us like he did for them, we will have a solid defensive central midfielder.

Honestly, I'd give Andrews another run in the team, at least for a couple of games. Maybe the Ireland situation will have lighten a fire under his feet. If he can play for us like he did for them, we will have a solid defensive central midfielder.

a solid defensive central mid-fielder who can't tackle? I always thought he was meant to be the attacking mid-fielder. I say "meant" because I truly don't know from watching him what he is.I agree with Den, Mokoena made a far more valuable contribution to the team than Andrews ever has, its simply that he only has 1 position and that is in in a 4-5-1 formation.

Come to think of it, if we were going to keep this line-up, we should have kept him and sold Andrews to Fulham, we wouldn't have shipped as many goals.

I'm amazed that this thread rumbles on with such wide and varied disagreement amongst members. The clear evidence is in front of our eyes every fortnight.

Yes indeed, Keith deserves special praise for giving all of us something to debate even when Rovers aren't playing. I'm sorry I missed the Ireland game but I did see Keith looking like he really did give a damn at the end. I do like to see that. I hope he gets a great reception from the fans whether he starts on Sunday or not.

Thought about this one based upon my experiences on this site in the past..........

There are certain individuals here who are vulnerable to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and have revealed gross personal details about themselves which could easily be exploited by those more intelligent, better educated and more wordly wise than they are......

Far be it for me to engage in such petty trivia........

But if needs be I will certainy smite those that have hidden behind their keyboards to pathetically assume a position of seeming confidence to which they are so patently ill suited........

Do you feel lucky punk :lol:

Actually I doubt that I would be prepared to have their downfall on my conscience - candy from a baby and all that......

Anyhow, I will be at the Reebok on Sunday cheering on Keef if he is playing........

I shall leave the pathetic gibberish to those posturing on their keyboards in their lonely perversity - the sooner you get a real girlfriend the better ^_^:tu:

I hope he gets a great reception from the fans whether he starts on Sunday or not.

That's a good point Tony. Confidence will be a big part of Keith's game and perhaps that is why he is perceived to be playing better for Ireland (can't comment as I haven't seen any of their games), different management, different set up, different fans, etc.

It would be nice for him to get a good reception, as you say. You never know, a Keith Andrews thinking, hell they do like me after all, may move up a gear or two in the blue and white.

I agree with Den, Mokoena made a far more valuable contribution to the team than Andrews ever has,

So you and Den just choose to ignore his goals and assists last season?

As I said in a post earlier and Clayton's also mentioning.

It would be nice to hear from our Irish supporters who have seen Keith in action for ROI and tell us what type of role he has been given in that team.

As I also said earlier - I think he is a decent box-to-box midfielder who gets into shooting positions and also good at tracking back. He makes too many freekicks for my like, but always gives 100%. He isnt jumping around as a girl scout like Mokoena.

Andrews is average. He can have the odd good game. He can have the more regular bad game. The rest of the time he's average.

The "he's wonderful / he's dogpoo" debate is people who took a stance on the lad early in the Ince reign and won't back down either way.

Didn't bother to read the last 6 pages, because this really sums it up perfectly.

So you and Den just choose to ignore his goals and assists last season?

As I said in a post earlier and Clayton's also mentioning.

It would be nice to hear from our Irish supporters who have seen Keith in action for ROI and tell us what type of role he has been given in that team.

As I also said earlier - I think he is a decent box-to-box midfielder who gets into shooting positions and also good at tracking back. He makes too many freekicks for my like, but always gives 100%. He isnt jumping around as a girl scout like Mokoena.

He might get into shooting positions but he doen't actually shoot. Any goals come from very close in. He occasionally gets into tackling positions too but never tackles.

Mokoena a girl scout :blink: The Axe? He never got sent off because his woggle was askew.

Thought about this one based upon my experiences on this site in the past..........

There are certain individuals here who are vulnerable to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and have revealed gross personal details about themselves which could easily be exploited by those more intelligent, better educated and more wordly wise than they are......

Far be it for me to engage in such petty trivia........

But if needs be I will certainy smite those that have hidden behind their keyboards to pathetically assume a position of seeming confidence to which they are so patently ill suited........

Do you feel lucky punk :lol:

Actually I doubt that I would be prepared to have their downfall on my conscience - candy from a baby and all that......

Anyhow, I will be at the Reebok on Sunday cheering on Keef if he is playing........

I shall leave the pathetic gibberish to those posturing on their keyboards in their lonely perversity - the sooner you get a real girlfriend the better ^_^:tu:

Are you actually for real?

You come on here and call a load of people a C word, hiding behind a little lyric or two, then threaten to, what, take the mick out of somebody's own personal misfortunes in the midst of a debate on football when they call you on it? Is that what you'd define as intelligence, education and worldly wisdom? I'd suggest your post reveals more about your own insecurities than anybody elses and the nature of your own character.

And 'gibberish'? Please, do you read your own posts?

Anyway, back to the Keith Andrews. If you wanna take the mick out of depression and my own personal circumstances then send me a PM.

Archived