BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Rovers Newest Signing

What made me laugh, was all the muppets who for the last few homes games have been chanting attack attack attack, cheered when Andrews went off and Grella a far more defensive minded player came on. Unless Andrews was injured, very strange sub IMO.

Andrews plays a OK ball, the people round me go ballistic, i did ask the question when Nelson played a shocker of a ball did they not say a word. I did not get an answer. Sheep is all I can think of with a lot of these people.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrews plays a OK ball, the people round me go ballistic, i did ask the question when Nelson played a shocker of a ball did they not say a word. I did not get an answer. Sheep is all I can think of with a lot of these people.

Nelsen's distribution was shocking all afternoon. Good job he has another strong string to his bow and can defend. Andrews simply does not have the luxury of any other strong strings. He has no special skills.

I saw the first ten rows of the Blackburn End going ballistic when Andrews got back, took possession of the ball and took it calmly round the Stoke player to bring it upfield instead of hoofing it forward to give away possession.

FFS GET OFF THE LAD'S BACK!! (That's all the Keef haters; not you Roaming Rover)

Those pitch diagrams are very interesting. Prozone has been such a success in the game precisely because it addresses a well-known phenomenon that is completely ignored by football fans - that human recollection of real live complex events is notoriously unreliable. Ask 5 witnesses what happened in a car crash or a hold up and you get five different versions.

Keith has appeared for us 51 times now, 39 as starter, largely under the manager who didn't buy him, so there must be good reasons. I would hypothesise the following:

i) Sam rates prozone a million times higher than he does the views of fans, and Keith's stats must be good enough for

Sam

ii) Sam also has a way of playing that I don't think any of us actually prefer, all things being equal. We might put up with it as a means to an end, but we don't love it like he does. So he is judging Andrews by different criteria to most on here. In Sam's way of playing, he clearly ranks fitness and effort over skill if he can't have both - hence Benni being in Siberia - so Keith is getting the nod because he gets into their box, sometimes makes a good pass, and gets back to defend. The 3rd goal at Fulham, everyone on here slated Andrews for getting turned, and it was a poor effort, but he was there, right where Nelsen should have been, which Sam I expect will have rated.

Andrews makes the odd good chance, clears a few off the line and is cack at everything inbetween, which sums up Sam's philosophy for me. Slating Andrews should be replaced by slating the system and the manager.

We have no-one else who fits Allardyce's system, so I expect Keith to be in and around the team unless and until either Sam leaves or we get some serious dosh from the tooth fairy and we can afford an upgrade after upgrading both wingers and a couple of strikers, i.e. never

Came in to say that the sooner Keith Andrews sold the better, and I say that as someone who can see he is actually an adequate squad member but when our own supporters continue with their blinkered booing there is just no way back for him. If Di Santo had scored the one on one yesterday and we won 1-0 he'd still be getting slaughtered. It's embarrassing and cringeworthy hearing the morons around me boo and jeer him before the game's even kicked off. If we are able to offload him in January it would be in both parties best interests for him to leave...

ii) Sam also has a way of playing that I don't think any of us actually prefer, all things being equal. We might put up with it as a means to an end, but we don't love it like he does. So he is judging Andrews by different criteria to most on here. In Sam's way of playing, he clearly ranks fitness and effort over skill if he can't have both - hence Benni being in Siberia - so Keith is getting the nod because he gets into their box, sometimes makes a good pass, and gets back to defend. The 3rd goal at Fulham, everyone on here slated Andrews for getting turned, and it was a poor effort, but he was there, right where Nelsen should have been, which Sam I expect will have rated.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. But I don't think Sam is drilling the squad in mere 'hoofball'. To me it looks like Sam is trying to blend the long pass game (hoofball to some) and the possession game, dependent upon circumstances.

Came in to say that the sooner Keith Andrews sold the better, and I say that as someone who can see he is actually an adequate squad member but when our own supporters continue with their blinkered booing there is just no way back for him. If Di Santo had scored the one on one yesterday and we won 1-0 he'd still be getting slaughtered. It's embarrassing and cringeworthy hearing the morons around me boo and jeer him before the game's even kicked off. If we are able to offload him in January it would be in both parties best interests for him to leave...

It's ridiculous and embarrasing to hear fans booing their own player. It can't help the team morale, in fact it doesn't help anybody whatsoever. It's a totally negative thing to do. Some fans behaviour towards him is almost criminal.

it was no suprise for me when he came on - he was useless ...

stop thinking you are steven gerrard and trying to play clever passes - you aint good enough simple ....they way he tries to challenge for the ball is quite embarrasing too ....

nzonzi wont be able to improve playing next andrews ...

It's ridiculous and embarrasing to hear fans booing their own player. It can't help the team morale, in fact it doesn't help anybody whatsoever. It's a totally negative thing to do. Some fans behaviour towards him is almost criminal.

As much as I have criticised him, I have to totally agree with this, it's nonsense, and very embarrassing.

The poor fella's doing his best, he certainly won't get any better being barracked by his own fans.

People need to accept that the manager thinks he should be playing, if he's on the pitch he should be supported no matter what we think of his ability.

As much as I have criticised him, I have to totally agree with this, it's nonsense, and very embarrassing.

The poor fella's doing his best, he certainly won't get any better being barracked by his own fans.

People need to accept that the manager thinks he should be playing, if he's on the pitch he should be supported no matter what we think of his ability.

Of course you're right Bryan, booing doesn't help a players confidence and I have never done that. In general though, the fans will be heard and the management will have to take notice. That's the way of the footballing world. It happens at every club in the world.

A proper manager would always tell the player under pressure, that the only thing he can do about it is to go onto the park and show the fans they're wrong. That's all that Andrews can do. and if that happens, there is an argument that would say that the booing actually proved a point. If a player can't cope with the booing then questions will be asked about his temperament.

Oh how poor and moronic was the booing of Keith Andrews. He had not even kicked a ball in anger as the team was announced and there was the encouragement to do well. He wears the blue and white halves, get off his back and support the team. What an enticement to Di Santo, and all the others to hear the home crowd booing one of their own.

Grow up and support.

Andrews played well in the 45mins that he had. Although he is obviously limited he gives 100% and has a good engine. I prefer him to the frankly abysmal Grella.

Grella is far too slow, gives away far too many fouls, never challenges a header and his passing is poor. Not what you would expect from a £4m player.

Like I said RR, it's a mans game and he'll have to prove 'em wrong.

There is an argument to say he is doing that. His pass rates suggest it but the entrenched view, which is becoming more and more vocal, can't and won't see it. There is a scapegoat thing going on as well. I heard the abuse Andrews was getting by one or two around me and when he went at half time Diouf got it instead.

The poor game on Saturday, certainly first half, was down to too many players standing around watching. Diouf and Nzonzi were massive cuprits. When Andrews, or someone else, had the ball the lack of movement was stunning and shocking. I watched Nzonzi stand there while Andrews was trying to find a player forward of himself to pass to who was unmarked. Nzonzi didn't make a move into space or in fact make a move at all but just literally stood there on a number of occasions. Diouf seemed to want to play in a region of the field about 10 yards square around the half-way line on the left. Second half was much better and both players improved immeasurably.

Whatever his failings, Andrews was not the player at fault on Saturday. Consider that in one half Andrews made 24 passes with 18 successful. Nzonzi played 90 minutes and made 31 with 28 successful, Grella played the second half and made just 7 passes.

Whatever his failings, Andrews was not the player at fault on Saturday. Consider that in one half Andrews made 24 passes with 18 successful. Nzonzi played 90 minutes and made 31 with 28 successful, Grella played the second half and made just 7 passes.

Just goes to show how bad our central midfield is with so few passes made. Consider 90% of those passes were either sideways or backwards and it's even worse.

Agree Crazyivan, I noticed with just 10 minutes to go the gap between the midfield and strikers was shocking. The ball goes to the box, Roberts heads it, or even the stoke defenders clear it and we had no midfielders around the edge of the box to pick it up. At one point I noticed we had the whole back 4 Grella and Nzonzi picking up 2 stoke players. This at 0-0 with 15 mins to go. But most of the crowd were not bothered as at least Andrews was not on the picth. :rolleyes:

Whilst I agree with you to a point Den, there are to many fans at Ewood not prepared to give players the chance. Andrews could score a hatrick against the dingles in the last five minutes to give us a 3-1 win, yet some 'supporters' would focus on a miss placed pass he did in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Andrews played well in the 45mins that he had. Although he is obviously limited he gives 100% and has a good engine. I prefer him to the frankly abysmal Grella.

Grella is far too slow, gives away far too many fouls, never challenges a header and his passing is poor. Not what you would expect from a £4m player.

Truth is BB9 both players simply arent good enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry to bring this up but perhaps my watching KA is his unlucky charm?

Went out to buy a Christmas Tree in London yesterday and got home to see the following KA involvement from about the 85th minute:

- first thing I saw KA patsies a woeful freekick into the midrif of the wall not even winding the guy it hit.

- KA slotted a nice through pass to the edge of the Hull area finding its intended Rovers' recipient

- a pass intended for KA missed him altogether; it was easily collectable played just in front of him to where he would have been had he not stopped running. Perhaps his Opta stats are so good because he simply misses touching the ball so those don't count?

- KA hit a pass too hard and at the hip of a Rovers player who did remarkably well to retain posession with two Hull players in attendance.

Anyone know how bad Grella's injury is?

Archived