BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Manchester United (october 4, Ewood Park, 17:30)

ManicRover

I thought we played well today and Ince laid the team out in a an organised manner. We were compact and the defence looked good. We tired in midfield a bit but that was because we had little up front besides Roque. Peds and Derbs were awful and the ball kept coming back despite us playing well. When RSC went off that was it. We kept pushing up and defending high up. I was really pleased with that. From where we're sat on the Riverside you notice it more.

As the game drifted on Rovers seem to lose their pattern and sense of purpose and it got a bit one sided when the 2nd went in.

Brown 7 Good

Oijjar 7 Good - Snuffed out Ronaldo.

Nelsen 8 - Good - Not my favourite but he battled and organised and things went well for him

Samba 7 - Good/Solid - Like Nelsen. Read the game better, played more as unit, got in some good tackles.

Ollson 8 - Good. Pedersen left him for dead all match but he stayed loyal to the 2 centre halves closing off the channel whilst trying to take on both the overlapping Brown and drifting Rooney.

Emerton 8 - Good - Ran all game

Tugay 6 - Game passed him by for speed - Faded but did ok

Warnock - 8 Good - Should be captain. Tried to lead the team forward again and again. Hardly put a put wrong.

Pedersen - 1 Abysmal. Turned attack into defence. No idea where to play. Left Ollson exposed by not communicating. Last game in a Rovers Shirt

Derbyshire - 2 Abysmal. Ran a lot but looked like a 10 year old playing with 20 year olds. Like taking candy off a baby he was easily dispossed, pushed to one side or beaten to the ball or on th eend of a losing tackle. Missed a great chance.

Cruz 9 - AWESOME - Nothing to say that has not been said a thousand times.

SUBS

Roberts - 0 Abysmal. Should never play for Rovers again. Fouls, arguing. Looked like he was playing in wellies with a beach ball. Clueless team work. Clueless all around. Didn;t bother trying either.

Treacy - 4 One good cross, two bad ones. Lazy and has no idea what to do team wise. Failed time and again to attack the back post with Emerton crossing form the rights.

Andrews - 5 Did nothing right, nothing wrong. Had too little time and came on when Rovers were flagging and getting overun a bit.

Ince 8 - did a good job. Questions over Derbyshire, Roberts, Pedersen selection and no show for Villeneue. Tactically well organised. Got Rovers (trying) to play a neat passing game but Utd are not European Champions for nothing.

Did you watch the same match as me?

You thought we played well, seriously? It was a pretty even match up until the first goal went in. From the moment on it was all United could have easily been 5 or 6. Brown was definately our best player on the night. Wasn't impressed by Olsson, not going to be easy up again Ronaldo but he sold himselft too many times and made it easy for Cristina, he looked absolutely helpless in the second half against him. Samba was also dreadul at times, could have easily cost us two goals from silly mistakes. However Nelsen and Ooijer defended really well for the large part. Our midfield was poor, no one put a foot in, no one looked composed on the ball. We got totally outplayed by in the area by the Red Scum.

I wouldn't exactly call Santa Cruz's performance 'AWESOME' either, he gave the ball away a couple of times although he did do a decent job considering he was isolated a lot of the time. Derbs a bit like Emerton ran and worked all game but Derbs was played in some sort of weird AMC and picked up the ball deep at time which is not where he's most effective.

I do however echo the comments about Pedersen and Roberts they were both very poor. The worrying thing about today's game is that United never really got out of 3rd gear and still were totally dominant. We offered nothing going forward at all in the second half.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the context i thought we did ok. Man Utd simply took the chances that were gifted to them. The first by the ref and the second due to the inexperience of olsson and the rapidly deteriorating weather/pitch.

I hope Rocky's now traditional knock just before the international break isn't to serious, we really do look a bit lifeless without him.

Brown had a solid game until the blatant foul and then seemed to beat up on himself a bit, but despite that still made a couple of class saves. Shame he isn't a bit taller as he may have got to the Rooney goal.

Some foolish comments like mOdes98, an embarrassment a complete shambles Rovers are, come on you what does that mean? Ince lovers after that, if you'd have stood in front of me and try to reason that shyte I'd surely try to knock you out so disappointed am I.

I thought we played well today and Ince laid the team out in a an organised manner. We were compact and the defence looked good. We tired in midfield a bit but that was because we had little up front besides Roque. Peds and Derbs were awful and the ball kept coming back despite us playing well. When RSC went off that was it. We kept pushing up and defending high up. I was really pleased with that. From where we're sat on the Riverside you notice it more.

As the game drifted on Rovers seem to lose their pattern and sense of purpose and it got a bit one sided when the 2nd went in.

Brown 7 Good

Oijjar 7 Good - Snuffed out Ronaldo.

Nelsen 8 - Good - Not my favourite but he battled and organised and things went well for him

Samba 7 - Good/Solid - Like Nelsen. Read the game better, played more as unit, got in some good tackles.

Ollson 8 - Good. Pedersen left him for dead all match but he stayed loyal to the 2 centre halves closing off the channel whilst trying to take on both the overlapping Brown and drifting Rooney.

Emerton 8 - Good - Ran all game

Tugay 6 - Game passed him by for speed - Faded but did ok

Warnock - 8 Good - Should be captain. Tried to lead the team forward again and again. Hardly put a put wrong.

Pedersen - 1 Abysmal. Turned attack into defence. No idea where to play. Left Ollson exposed by not communicating. Last game in a Rovers Shirt

Derbyshire - 2 Abysmal. Ran a lot but looked like a 10 year old playing with 20 year olds. Like taking candy off a baby he was easily dispossed, pushed to one side or beaten to the ball or on th eend of a losing tackle. Missed a great chance.

Cruz 9 - AWESOME - Nothing to say that has not been said a thousand times.

Ince 8 - did a good job. Questions over Derbyshire, Roberts, Pedersen selection and no show for Villeneue. Tactically well organised. Got Rovers (trying) to play a neat passing game but Utd are not European Champions for nothing.

This is a wind up, right?

Outclassed by a better team - nothing wrong woth that - they aren't champions of Europe for nothing. Imagine paying Barca or AC Milan and losing 2-0 at home.... not a bad result - get a perspective guys, we are Blackburn Rovers not Inter Milan. Be proud of our team we can compete with the top teams, back in the day we could'nt compete with Crystal Palace - says it all....

Some foolish comments like mOdes98, an embarrassment a complete shambles Rovers are, come on you what does that mean? Ince lovers after that, if you'd have stood in front of me and try to reason that shyte I'd surely try to knock you out so disappointed am I.

I hope you were equally gutted when we got battered 6-2 against Arsenal or lost to Coventry, Larissa etc.

"Ince Lovers" interesting term for people tryng to support the new regime...this is still a Mark Hughes team trying to play a Paul Ince way, in the same way the team Hughes took charge of in 2004 was a Souness team.

After the Newcastle victory I did say that I was not overly jubilant because we would have results and performance like we had today, the most important thing is the reaction in the next game which I expect to be different.

• Backroom

After hearing some comments at the game and reading some on here I think its the rovers fans that are the embarassment not the team.

Sure it wasn't the greatest performance but its like some people seriously expect us to beat teams like united, they were world class at times and without a dodgy first goal we may have stood a chance.

One thing I have to say is no matter how disapointing Pedersen can be he offers more than Treacey for sure the lad can't run, tackle pass or shoot it seems, at least Pedersen tracks back well. Then again maybe its a good job he played poor or else the chavs would need a new scapegoat.

I hope you were equally gutted when we got battered 6-2 against Arsenal or lost to Coventry, Larissa etc.

"Ince Lovers" interesting term for people tryng to support the new regime...this is still a Mark Hughes team trying to play a Paul Ince way, in the same way the team Hughes took charge of in 2004 was a Souness team.

After the Newcastle victory I did say that I was not overly jubilant because we would have results and performance like we had today, the most important thing is the reaction in the next game which I expect to be different.

I'm looking for far batter than that show imy9, just been told big Sam was at the game, not a big SAam FAN but I feel desperate right now.

Also was told today that John Williams knows that the signings of Andrews and Fowler were favouritism of the manager,but the club supported the idea.

Try and knock people out Jal ?

I have never heard such tripe, knowing quite a few members of this forum, if they stood in front of you trust me you would have to try to knock them out but would fail as miserably as Burnley trying to get into the Premiership.

now off to bed young man :huh:

Far too many comparisons with the Arsenal game for my liking. Such as :-

1] The opposition never got out of first gear and we could have lost 0-6.

2] Tactically hopeless. Did we have a game plan? Rocky completely isolated while everyone else camped 20 yrds behind.

3] We have far too much respect for our opponents. Arsenal and Man Utd always knew they'd been in a scrap, why not this season?

4] No passion from anyone in Blue and White.

5] 15 mins to go and the home fans going home in droves.

6] Ince's post match comments virtually saying we can do no better than than this, they are too good for us.

-----------------------------------------------

Substitutions: 20 mins to go, we need a goal desperately. What does Ince do? Bring on Andrews for Tugay. Carlos and Fowler left on bench. Good grief!

I know Man Utd are a good side, but Cally is right, they will be if you let them. Same with the Arsenal game. We've been beaten by these sides before, but both games could have finished 0-6. I waited and waited for the change in tactics and it didn't happen. Why didn't we have a go at them, - throw a few forward for the last 20 mins and have a go? At least, being only two down, grabbing one goal back might just have put Utd under a bit of pressure, - give them something to worry about.

After such promise from recent games, today was a step backwards.

Try and knock people out Jal ?

I have never heard such tripe, knowing quite a few members of this forum, if they stood in front of you trust me you would have to try to knock them out but would fail as miserably as Burnley trying to get into the Premiership.

now off to bed young man :huh:

good idea 1864 ;) thoroughly dissapointed.

2] Tactically hopeless. Did we have a game plan? Rocky completely isolated while everyone else camped 20 yrds behind.

3] We have far too much respect for our opponents. Arsenal and Man Utd always knew they'd been in a scrap, why not this season?

6] Ince's post match comments virtually saying we can do no better than than this, they are too good for us.

Substitutions: 20 mins to go, we need a goal desperately. What does Ince do? Bring on Andrews for Tugay. Carlos and Fowler left on bench. Good grief!

I know Man Utd are a good side, but Cally is right, they will be if you let them. Same with the Arsenal game. We've been beaten by these sides before, but both games could have finished 0-6. I waited and waited for the change in tactics and it didn't happen. Why didn't we have a go at them, - throw a few forward for the last 20 mins and have a go? At least, being only two down, grabbing one goal back might just have put Utd under a bit of pressure, - give them something to worry about.

Totally agree, I find the whole game unsatisfactory from a Rovers team.

Still think we will struggle with a sub keeper - 3-0 United.

Well i expected the defeat to be honest. Dont get too disapointed lads, the key until January is our performances against the other 15 teams not in the normal top 4.

Today we did well until about 25 mins, then we allowed them to score (which was a foul) and then basically gave up.

Only decent performances today came from Brown, Samba and RSC.

Unfortunatly for Brown he is just that bit too short, otherwise it would of ended 1-0. Anyway the performance wasnt great, their wasnt much passion from the lads either, but then looking at a midfield of Pedersen - Tugay - Derbyshire - Warnock - Emerton, Its hardly suprising! For me our team lacks abit of bite in the middle, hopefully a position Grella can make his own in a few weeks. Also either MGP needs to sort it out or be dropped for Treacy for a long spell.

To be fair to Ince I would also of started with MGP today because of his ability in the air and his defensive work, unfortunatly he just didnt turn up for him.

United did well today, but we should of performed better. Like I said, it was kind of expected, lets get over it and look to beat Bolton.

Simple truth is that we were outclassed for the second time this season by a far superior outfit. Once again, I thought we got our tactics wrong and failed to put any pressure on United. Under Hughes and Souness we approached these types of games with passion. Against Arsenal and now United we have accepted defeat without so much as a whimper.

Our failure to close down the opposition in games like this is a major concern. Both Arsenal and United have enjoyed comfortable victories at Ewood without having to get out of second gear. I came away from the match tonight totally deflated by the inept performance. In truth, but for poor finishing and a good display by Brown the margin of defeat could have been much greater. From being a tough nut to crack at home we are rapidly becoming a soft touch.

Whilst I don't expect us to match United for skill I do expect to see us match them for passion and effort but tonight there was only one team that showed those attributes and it wasn't us.

When the team perform in such a way it is little wonder that we can't sell out the 'home' sections of the ground. I heard one fan remark that if the team can't be bothered to turn up why should the supporters. Many more performances like this and I suspect that gates will drop alarmingly.

Let's hope that Ince can rally the team and instill a little bit of spirit into them. We will certainly need to show more passion and effort at Bolton if we hope to get any sort of result.

Simple truth is that we were outclassed for the second time this season by a far superior outfit. Once again, I thought we got our tactics wrong and failed to put any pressure on United. Under Hughes and Souness we approached these types of games with passion. Against Arsenal and now United we have accepted defeat without so much as a whimper.

Our failure to close down the opposition in games like this is a major concern.

Like I said though - we need a battling midfield, to be fair I dont think we had those players available to us today. Who would you of had in midfield? We miss a savage/ Batty type player.

i've made the point before, and its still valid with a couple of board members who believe we should man for man be as good as united. Either get real or quite seriously go and support united.............its once in a blue moon when the stars are in the right allignment and united are'nt with it on the day that we compete with them like equels. Even the good results in the past under other managers have involved us getting battered for 80% of the game with only friedel and poor finishing stopping us getting a drubbing. Arsenal, chelsea and united play slick skillfull quick styles that we can't deal with and have and always will be under the kosh in our own half for the majority of games. Its the other 17 teams that i fully expect us to at the very least compete with!

Like I said though - we need a battling midfield, to be fair I dont think we had those players available to us today. Who would you of had in midfield? We miss a savage/ Batty type player.

Personally, I would have started with Mokoena as the holding player and if Vogel is fit then surely he should be in the squad somewhere. How can Andrews get on the bench and not Vogel? I would have started with Derbyshire on the right and allowed Brett to play in the centre of midfield alongside Mokoena. We were far too open in midfield and no matter who is selected to play surely the tactic that should be adopted against the top four is to keep it tight and put the opposition under pressure whenever they get the ball. Today we just stood back and admired the superb football that United played - or should I say that we allowed them to play. I also thought that today's game highlighted just how much we miss the quality that Bentley brought to the side in the middle of the park.

As I said, I don't expect us to match United for quality but I do expect us to match them for passion and effort and today we came nowhere close to matching them.

Only seen highlights and the odd comment on here but I firmly believe that Matt Derbyshire needs to improve his all-round game to justify starting for Rovers. He can finish but aside from that, I'm not sure what he can do.

That's not to make him a scapegoat because it looked like a number of players were poor - Olsson seemed to struggle and Gamst was his dainty anonymous self, it would seem.

Question for people who've seen our recent matches - are we trying to play too much football against sides vastly superior?

Could not have said it better myself!! We were never in this game and brining Andrews on when 2-0 down must be the most stupid sub I've ever seen..

Guys,

I fully expected to get beat, even battered today... but I also expected to put up more of a fight than we did, well in fairness my grandma could have put up more of a fight and she passed away many years ago!!

Anyway we must LEARN VERY QUICKLY that when playing a vastly superior FOOTBALLING team, that the ONLY we can compete is by being more committed and not allowing the opposition to play their game.

Arsenal and Man U are two clear examples that we have not been doing the basics of closing down the opposition down quickly enough... It does not take a rocket science to work this out; I was taught this at primary school, find space when my team has the ball closee down space when teh opposition has the ball - Roy Keane showed Ince the right way of playing against the arse...

I am supportive of what Ince is tring to do, but he must adpat his style to certain teams within the league or else we will see a morale depleting PERFORMANCE every couple of weeks!!

Ferdinand, Rooney and Berbatov together cost nearly £100,000,000 to buy, not to mention the wages they're on.

When you have a Mini you cannot expect to compete with a Rolls Royce.

Now, where have I heard that expression before???

Gutted at the team's lack of passion.

In answer to Rover6 - Yeah we seem to play our football regardless of the opposition, and its now costed us against Arsenal and United. But like iv said, I dont think we currently have the personnel available to play any other way at the moment anyway.

Ferdinand, Rooney and Berbatov together cost nearly £100,000,000 to buy, not to mention the wages they're on.

When you have a Mini you cannot expect to compete with a Rolls Royce.

No disrespect intended bazza but I think that's absolute rollocks.

We've never been able to compete with ManUre in the transfer market, but where we can compete with them is in terms of effort and workrate. That costs nothing. And by and large we've done that extremely well in the Souness and Hughes eras getting some excellent results against them. (Where we have tended to put in the really poor performances has been against so called "lesser" opposition.)

There was none of that today, ManUre worked ten times as hard as us at closing people down, and moving off the ball.

I'm still firmly pro Ince but we've totally rolled over and died at home after going two goals down against Arsenal, and after going just one goal down against United.

That attitude against the top 4 has to change.

Edit: OOps sorry, just read your post again, completely agree, many apologies.

:blush:

I don't think people are factoring in the difference in skill levels. At first sight the conditions could be seen as an equaliser but,in fact,they aided Manu. Their players had more control over the ball and weighted their passes better. We never really got a grip in mid-field because we were unable to retain possession. As the match wore on the defence accordingly came under greater and greater pressure. It wasn't helped by the fact that we virtually have no wingers--------therefore no decent crosses,no beating the man on the outside,nothing from the flanks. Oh for a Wilcox and a Ripley.

Archived