SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Ince Gone

Back or Sack  

557 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

• Back
    • Sack

Given the way the Premier League is shaping up, especially after this weekends results, I honestly think we've missed the boat already. Rather than appoint a guy for what may be a fruitless attempt to keep us up I'd be looking at a manager who can get us out of the championship at the first time of asking next season.

Sadly, if we go down I don't think there will be anyway back. Last time we went down we were fortunate that Jack continued to finance us as a Premiership club. Now, we aren't even financed as a Premiership club while we are actually in the Premiership!

If we go down I suspect it will be a pretty rapid decline to League One. You only have to look at the likes of Southampton, Charlton Athletic, Norwich City, Leicester City, Leeds United and Nottingham Forest to see what our future holds.

The only way to prevent total meltdown is to retain our Premiership status. I suspect it may already be too late. We have 13 points and a goal difference that's worth a point to all of our relegation rivals bar West Brom which still leaves us 27 points from the magical 40 and I suspect we may need 43 points to be absolutely sure of survival.

We have 21 games left and four of those are away to the 'big four' which realistically leaves us 17 games from which to get between 27 and 30 points. At the moment we proudly boast 3 points from the past 11 matches. Something tells me that whoever inherits the manager's job from Ince - and surely John Williams can't back Ince and his coaching staff in the wake of Saturday's inept performance - will have an uphill task.

Of course, Roy Hodgson at Fulham last season showed it could be done and West Ham went on a fantastic run to dodge the bullet a couple of seasons ago. However, to have any chance we need the Board to act now. Failure to beat Stoke on Saturday and Sunderland on Boxing Day will almost certainly consign us to the lower divisions for many years to come.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The timing of the original 'race' article was interesting. It came just as cracks were starting to show behind the scenes. I could never understand that stuff about 'giving the manager more slack' because at the time there was no real criticism.

Those turned into chasms quite quickly. The problems that those keeping an eye on things knew about became obvious with results.

However there have been some shameful comments and phrases used on here in the past few weeks and you can't take any satisfaction out of that.

There are plenty of sticks and stones you could use against the manager at the moment...but some of the names don't do anyone any favours.

nicko, do you have any insight as to whether ince will get the stoke match? and are you able to release names of possible suitors yet?

grateful as ever.

Tafkap.....are you a Burnley or a Preston fan?

Ah OK I'll come clean. Basically, I support whoever your opponents are. :rolleyes:

God, you can't form an opinion that deviates from the general consensus of the board without been accused of being a Dingle.

nicko, do you have any insight as to whether ince will get the stoke match? and are you able to release names of possible suitors yet?

I believe some key people have made their decision.

Now it needs the whole board to act as one on who comes in...

Daft as it sounds I think they have to be sure of that part before sacking the current manager.

If you asked me to put a fiver on it I would say Souey [plus Tugay]

But that will no doubt prompt Scotty to get the vapours and accuse me of some kind of betting scam...

Whilst most managers would be an improvment on our current one, I don't think that would be a good choice.......coaching staff and potential signings (with limited finances) would be a concern.

Whilst most managers would be an improvment on our current one, I don't think that would be a good choice.......coaching staff and potential signings (with limited finances) would be a concern.

As i said earlier Souey's abrasive personality will either garner respect or ###### off a number of players and confirm our relegation. Appointing Souey would be a huge risk.

Exactly.He'd be an improvement on Ince but that's not saying much.

I think the appointment of Souness would be an even bigger disaster than the appointment of Ince ever was. Souness is yesterday's man - absolute quality for parts of his time with us but not now. Football and players have moved on and I can't believe that the board can't see it. I want Ince to go but not for Souness.

I believe some key people have made their decision.

Now it needs the whole board to act as one on who comes in...

Daft as it sounds I think they have to be sure of that part before sacking the current manager.

But that will no doubt prompt Scotty to get the vapours and accuse me of some kind of betting scam...

cheers mate, but why oh WHY?? dunny hates souey! my grandma used to knock about with his in harwood and spoke with venom about souey. he fell out with half the squad! and after all the good he did us had a disaterous end to his time with us. ach, i jist dinnae ken ;)

sigh.

have tried to dig out the insightful article where henchoz slams souey but couldn't find it. can anyone help with that please?

and can someone also PM me JW's email, i need to send him the article.

one more question nicko, sunderlands dithering suggests to me they wont go for big sam. i know you've intimated in the past that he wouldn't come to us, do you know if this is still the case.

ta gadge.

As i said earlier Souey's abrasive personality will either garner respect or ###### off a number of players and confirm our relegation. Appointing Souey would be a huge risk.

Souey's record as an impact manager is pretty good as I recall...I think Newcastle United took an upturn when he went in...as for Rovers before he arrived.

Hands up those who were at the Crewe home game? The club was dying and he turned it around.

It needs someone who can jolt this mob into life quickly and I mean in the next few weeks.

Stoke and Man City are winnable games. Beat them and drag them into it and suddenly it's game on.

cheers mate, but why oh WHY?? dunny hates souey! my grandma used to knock about with his in harwood and spoke with venom about souey. he fell out with half the squad! and after all the good he did us had a disaterous end to his time with us. ach, i jist dinnae ken ;)

sigh.

have tried to dig out the insightful article where henchoz slams souey but couldn't find it. can anyone help with that please?

one more question nicko, sunderlands dithering suggests to me they wont go for big sam. i know you've intimated in the past that he wouldn't come to us, do you know if this is still the case.

ta gadge.

Claridge on Setanta has just said he's been told Souness will be in in the next couple of days and the female presenter who is so poor I don't know her name said she'd definitely heard the same.

Sunderland don't have a clue what to do. They are taking their time, arguing among themselves and living from game to game.

Big Sam would obviously fancy Rovers. However I don't think everyone at Rovers fancies Sam.

On Dunny...I seem to recall he admitted later that Souey had been right to get after him and kick his backside. And, to be fair, you can't really select a manager because he didn't get on with one injury-plagued player.

On Henchoz...when did Souey even have him at the club?

sigh.

ta gadge.

Do you want fries with that?? B)

What makes you think Souey out of interest? Easy option I guess?

I never rated any of his back room staff.....

It was Souey or Sam about nine days ago - before the master plan leaked via someone at Sunderland letting slip the info.

And I keep hearing Souey more than Sam since the weekend.

Now, there could be someone else...but I don't think there is time to make that happen.

Plus a rather loose-lipped gent mentioned it would be Souey 'but he has to bring in new staff this time' after the Wigan debacle.

Souey's record as an impact manager is pretty good as I recall...I think Newcastle United took an upturn when he went in...as for Rovers before he arrived.

Hands up those who were at the Crewe home game? The club was dying and he turned it around.

It needs someone who can jolt this mob into life quickly and I mean in the next few weeks.

Stoke and Man City are winnable games. Beat them and drag them into it and suddenly it's game on.

I'm completely split on Souness. I know he has the qualities to give a kick up the backside or a jolt to a team that is struggling and turn their form around. At the same time it was well publicised that he fell out with a lot of the players towards the end of his Rovers tenure.

He treads a fine line with his abrasive personality. Either the players respond in a positive manner or they just don't.

Could Souey turn us around? Yes.

Could Souey see us relegated? Yes.

We just don’t know what impact he would have on the team, that’s why I see it as a huge risk. Either it will work or it will fail spectacularly. And just to clarify this is coming from someone who respects and was a fan of Souey.

Sunderland don't have a clue what to do. They are taking their time, arguing among themselves and living from game to game.

Big Sam would obviously fancy Rovers. However I don't think everyone at Rovers fancies Sam.

On Dunny...I seem to recall he admitted later that Souey had been right to get after him and kick his backside. And, to be fair, you can't really select a manager because he didn't get on with one injury-plagued player.

On Henchoz...when did Souey even have him at the club?

buggar, wrong player - damnit, who am i thinkin of? it was a great article from a defender i think... ballbags, memory fails me.

Archived