BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Should The New Manager Be?

neekoy

New Manager  

506 members have voted

1. 1. From the following who would you prefer?

• Sam Allardyce
    • Graeme Souness
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Roy Keane
    • Owen Coyle
    • David Jones
    • Roberto Mancini
    • Avram Grant

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Sunderland were wanting to wait till after Xmas to appoint someone which may give us time to go after BFS...though this may now change with the departure of Ince. I hope we get him but I had thought about Boothroyd as well but he lacks top flight experience...

Who is appointed and what funds etc they are given will go along way to telling us what the board expect and want for Blackburn Rovers - do they want a Premiership club or a Championship team ?

Why if he was doing a good job? I think it's a tad arrogant to say 'Hey Sam, come bail us out of relegation but sod off after that!'

Because he knows how to keep teams up and makes them hard to beat, but I cant see him developing the club in the future like hughes was doing before he left and it wouldnt be pretty to watch.

I think it would be a win win situation. Wed be safe and looking forward to building for the future.

Whilst allardyce would put himself in the shop window again and will in all likeliness find another job with ease.

Do you ever say anything positive?Are you a burnley fan in disguise?

?

Nothing wrong with Boothroyd - he did a good job at Watford with nothing to spend. At least Rovers have a few bob left.

And yes I would like to see Burnley in the Prem with us - it would be fantastic for East Lancs and would show southerners what real football passion is all about.

LET report Knox and Mathias in charge for Saturday.

BL00DY HELL WILLIAMS THEY ARE THE MAIN PROBLEM !!!

Get some other bugger in tomorrow who at at least put together some sort of tactical plan.

Agree, the situation needs a clean sweep : Williams ducking another hard decision.

Nothing wrong with Boothroyd - he did a good job at Watford with nothing to spend. At least Rovers have a few bob left.

And yes I would like to see Burnley in the Prem with us - it would be fantastic for East Lancs and would show southerners what real football passion is all about.

If the southerner thing is a dig at me,i lived in london for a year im living down mill hill now and i am passionate about this club.Whoever the manager is il back him 100%,as for boothroyd yes he got watford promoted but they went straight back down and under the management of mr boothroyd they played horrible football if you think he should be the new man then surely you must be a burnley fan!

My 2p worth:

Souness: Might keep us up, and knows the club, but we were in pretty much the same position when he left. A short term appointment.

Curbishley: Could also keep us up, but not really an abitious appointment. We might bumble around 14th-17th long term if he stays.

Advocaat: Good choice, but would he come? I'm not sure.

Allardyce: Right man, but the big funds at sunderland and the fact he was snubbed in August will probably put him off.

Terim: Experienced, and Turkey really had a never say die attitude. A good choice.

Other names I would be intriuged by:

Mancini: Was very good at Inter, but is he a good man-manager?

Dechamps: Was very good at Monaco, at restored Juventus to Serie A.

Avram Grant: Probably has good contacts made during his 'Director of Football' days, and was pretty solid at Chelsea.

Apparently we shall see who it is by Saturday according to SSN. So I expect it to be Souness or someone else whose phone has not been ringing much recently.

LET report Knox and Mathias in charge for Saturday.

BL00DY HELL WILLIAMS THEY ARE THE MAIN PROBLEM !!!

Get some other bugger in tomorrow who at at least put together some sort of tactical plan.

Not according to club statement...

THE search for Paul Ince's successor as Blackburn Rovers manager has started in earnest.

Rovers' Chairman John Williams said: "Appointing a new manager is our total focus.

"We acknowledge that timelines are tight for we are in a very worrying situation concerning our Premier League status.

"We will endeavour to have a new manager in place for Saturday's game with Stoke City at Ewood Park, but there are no guarantees and we must ensure that we get the right man.

"In the meantime, the day-to-day training will be carried out by Archie Knox, Ray Mathias and Karl Robinson. Our coaching staff and all of the players fully understand the importance of this weekend's game.

"Our supporters can rest assured that we will do everything in our power to get the team climbing the Premier League table as soon as possible."

The answer, simply put, is me. Working under the assumption that I cannot possibly be worse than Knox/Matthias, I'm putting the finishing touches on my CV and covering letter. Suggestions for the CV are more than welcome. In order to protect my identity, I have given myself a different surname and a fictitious address.

Covering Letter:

To whom it may concern,

Having done so previously in 2004, I would hereby like to formally re-apply for the position of manager of Blackburn Rovers Football Club, following the dismissal/resignation/assassination (delete as applicable) of Mr Paul Ince.

Despite having no previous football managerial experience in the literal sense, I firmly believe that my skills either equal or surpass Mr Ince’s in all areas, and that this therefore makes me a justifiable candidate for the role. I do not posses any real football qualifications or experience of managing at “the top level”, but this does not seem to have deterred the board in the past. Let me assure you, the appointment gives great hope to people such as myself that I may still have some future in professional football, despite my career being ended prematurely at age 11 due to a lack of ability.

Unfortunately for everybody concerned, I was so impressed by the decision to ultimately overlook me in favour of Mr Mark Hughes that I declined to apply this summer, fully expecting another competent appointment decision. This has not turned out to be the case.

My CV previously consisted of trophies won on the Championship Manager computer game. Unfortunately, a chronic lack of free time in the past few years means that I have not added to this trophy collection (though I seem to have enough time to write long letters to people). My original prediction of several European Cups by this date may not have come to fruition, but the regular European appearances and victories over the so-called “Big 4” clubs achieved by Mr Hughes did much to soften this blow.

I have attached a new CV, which contains several examples of how my skills will transfer to the football management world. Though I am not fully convinced I will be invited to the interview stage of application, I will discuss the finer details of my salary expectations there. I must warn you, however, that I expect a minimum of £20,000 per annum.

I look forward to your response, and wish you the greatest of luck with the recruitment process. I’m sure that I don’t need to point out the potential significance of the decision. I would like to make it clear that I fully support the board to make the right decision for the fans – most of whom still have faith that we can overcome this entire unfortunate episode.

Regards,

Mark Bellamy

CV:

Mark Bellamy

123 Fake Street

Manchester

Work history:

Datamonitor analyst (March 2008-Present)

Skills acquired:

1) Expert monitoring of data (good for analysis of form, historical records, winless streaks etc.)

2) Expert on the retail coffee market

Administration Officer for the Department of Work and Pensions (September 2007-March 2008)

Skills acquired:

1) Pleasant telephone manner (for press conferences, interviews etc.)

2) Experience of working within tight bureaucracy

3) Experience in working with current or soon-to-be unemployed individuals (I sense this may be useful this coming Summer)

Relevant other skills:

1) Was once published in the Daily Telegraph in an article about fruit and vegetable consumption, so am fully aware of how the media works

2) Played regularly for my school football team against some of the best players in the whole Blackburn area

3) 10th in The Times Junior Fantasy Football League 1999/00 – accredited with “spotting” Sami Hyypia

4) Spent £70 on a course run by fat, balding former England international David Platt which turned out to be little more than a scam – actually bothered doing some of the work too

5) Basic understanding of positions (strikers should play up front, defenders should play in defence etc.)

6) Not Paul Ince

Well no one can do as bad as Ince but we really need to find the right man for the job, someone that can help us to survive. Do I think I know who that is? I have no idea! I am not going to push any manager's name for the job, I really don't know. I trusted JW to make a decision in the summer like he did with Hughes and Souness. He took a gamble and it didn't pay off, but I still have faith that he'll pick the right man this time. Surely he won't make the same mistake twice?

Winterburn, Redknapp Jnr. and Nicky Butt have just been on SSN saying he should have been given more time. The former presumably because he looks at his lovely cushy non-job, the second man because he is an idiot, and the latter because he is a mate.

Winterburn seems more interested in us now than when he was supposed to be sorting out our back four.

Because he knows how to keep teams up and makes them hard to beat, but I cant see him developing the club in the future like hughes was doing before he left and it wouldnt be pretty to watch.

You mean the same Sam Allardyce who left Bolton 7th in the league before he left? :rolleyes:

Our football under Hughes was hardly what you'd call exhilarating. In fact, it parallels Allardyce's approach more than you might think.

Advocaat: Good choice, but would he come? I'm not sure.

Was he not runner up to Hughes? If he was interested back then he could well be now. Its well documented he wants to come to the premier league and is not signing a new contract with Zenith.

Zenith Miracle

Advocaat interview "i want to manage in the prem"

He says if the right club comes along and given he applied in 2004 I'd say it was a safe bet he would be interested now, its not as if our situation is any different to what it was when he applied is it?

I don't think its about the money with him, he's on $4M a year and could probably get a lot more given he's the first manager to win the league with Zenith, footballing no-bodies before him.

He wants to manage in the strongest league in the world, its about the football he has enough dollar. Russian season is over for th winter he's sat at home freezing his ass off, living on cabbage soup and drinking vodka to keep warm, I'll bet Rovers sounds like paradise.

• Backroom

From another stance on this you have to face the grim reality that we are quite likely to go down now no matter who is in charge.

If we could tempt Coyle now he may stand a chance of keeping us up and if not is proven in the championship and would satnd us in good stead of getting us back up.

The last thing we want is a temporary fix then go down and in summer be managerless and in a much worse bargaining postion being in the championship, who would we then be able to attract? Dave Basset? Barry Fry? Steve cotteril?

Archived