BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn

47er

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunny's bloody agent must be rubbing his hands as we speak. We are rapidly being tied over a barrell.

That's the worry. IMO most clubs outside of the top 5 or 6 sides will be watching Dunn's situation closely. It will be very interesting to know what the terms of our offer to Dunn will be. Despite his awesome form he can't exactly expect anything like a 3-year deal simply due to his injury record.

It will be very interesting to know what the terms of our offer to Dunn will be. Despite his awesome form he can't exactly expect anything like a 3-year deal simply due to his injury record.

hmm, not so sure about this. consider for example, Dunny might reject any less than a 3 year deal, what would your stance be then? For me it's crucial he stays, and i'm almost tempted to say regardless of the terms...

hmm, not so sure about this. consider for example, Dunny might reject any less than a 3 year deal, what would your stance be then? For me it's crucial he stays, and i'm almost tempted to say regardless of the terms...

I understand your point - he's certainly our most influential player right now and in the form of his life. The problem is, similar to what tcj said, but what if we were to offer Dunny a 3-year deal, joining the likes of Samba, Nelsen and McCarthy on 30+k per week and he breaks down straight away?

IMO a two-year deal would be more suitable. I do agree that it's crucial for us to keep him. We certainly couldn't afford to replace him, put it that way.

I'm no expert in contract law, especially not when it comes to football, but isn't there an option now for footballers to buy out their contracts half way through? I think half way through is the definded as the year proceeding the midway point, or something.

That's why you now see 3 year deals. A 2 year deal could mean that a player can buy themselves out of the contract if an attractive offer comes in. This wouldn't afford any protection to the club.

I may be way off, though?

Its time to tie him down.

I really don't want him to go into Jan with 6 months left and clubs being able to speak to him. Offer him 2 years with an option on the clubs side for a 3rd provided fitness is still OK. At the end of the day we've kept him up and running so far this year and you have to have faith our Physio's and Co can keep it going.

If he goes into Jan being able to speak to clubs I'd be worried his head could be turned possibly by a foreign club as I'm not sure English clubs can speak to him in Jan??

He's earnt it, he deserves it and he is without doubt Mr Rovers. If he keeps it up for the rest of the year and can hit 10-15 goals you never know he could be on that plan, Capello loves players in form and he most certainly is.

Sign him up, now Sam.

Its time to tie him down.

I really don't want him to go into Jan with 6 months left and clubs being able to speak to him. Offer him 2 years with an option on the clubs side for a 3rd provided fitness is still OK. At the end of the day we've kept him up and running so far this year and you have to have faith our Physio's and Co can keep it going.

If he goes into Jan being able to speak to clubs I'd be worried his head could be turned possibly by a foreign club as I'm not sure English clubs can speak to him in Jan??

He's earnt it, he deserves it and he is without doubt Mr Rovers. If he keeps it up for the rest of the year and can hit 10-15 goals you never know he could be on that plan, Capello loves players in form and he most certainly is.

Sign him up, now Sam.

Spot on. its vital we keep him, he adds the class we need, you cant overstate how important he is to us right now. Fingers cross he stays fit, maybe he should start bathing in placenter?

How things have changed since he was a waste of money at 2M and a drain on our resources. Did someone say he was "pound for pound probably Mark Hughes' worst signing" or did I dream that? :rolleyes:

Have you watched him this season?

What a stupid question. And yes, I understand the point you're trying to make, but the answer is bleeding obvious.

How things have changed since he was a waste of money at 2M and a drain on our resources. Did someone say he was "pound for pound probably Mark Hughes' worst signing" or did I dream that? :rolleyes:

I'll hold my hand up 47er.

Originally I was pleased when Dunny signed from Brum. I always thought it was good to have local lads around the club. On the other hand I said on here last summer that I would have been happy to let him go - considering his lack of appearances for us. Now though - changed my mind again. Dunn is fitter than I've ever seen him and is playing the best football of his life, consistently.

Nowt wrong with judging the situation as it changes. Better than being narrow minded.

Have you watched him this season?

What a stupid question. And yes, I understand the point you're trying to make, but the answer is bleeding obvious.

Yes I've watched Dunny this season!! I'm not sure some others have. I was defending him THIS SEASON from moronic attacks by so-called fans about 3 weeks ago--on this thread and on the McCarthy thread. Unbelievable eh?

Me too, I thought Dunn was finished at this level, but it thinking that now seems utterly ridiculous.

I would like to point out that manager deserves ALOT of credit for getting Dunn fit and playing well, something Hughes never managed.

I'm sure there is one or two who will claim it's a coincidence, but I hope everyone else would join me in suggesting it really isn't.

Whats more impressive is yesterday he did not play in an advanced role, but was all over the midfield, further behind in the pitch.

He really was everywhere, he looks incredibly fit and very strong as well; he muscled Cahill off the ball to nearly score with a header, and back in defence he just shrugged one of the Bolton attackers off the ball, before playing a delicious 60 yard ball into the path of Roberts.

I'm just praying he stays fit, I wince every time he goes in for a tackle. On this form he is definitely England material, I defy anyone to say Jermaine Jenas is better than Dunn in this form.

Hopefully we'll get those contract negotiations starting right away.

Edit: Forgot to mention, a lot of credit to Allardyce for getting him into this form. It seems that one of Hughes' biggest mistakes could be failing to make Dunn more than a bit-part player in his time here. Imagine what a difference Dunn could have made to the teams that contained the likes of Bellamy, Bentley, Santa Cruz etc. If Hughes had got out of him what Sam has managed, he could have been the difference between 7th places finish and top 5...

I'm just praying he stays fit, I wince every time he goes in for a tackle. On this form he is definitely England material, I defy anyone to say Jermaine Jenas is better than Dunn in this form.

Never got the hype about Jenas. I can't see what outstanding qualities he has in midfield. Dunn, on the other hand, is absolutely unbeatable when he's in the zone. I'd rather he avoided the international radar, anyway. Less chance of niggles.

I find it hard to believe Dunn will sign for anyone else, and I guess he is just being sensible. He knows every performance he put in like this week he put another thousand (at least) on his weekely wage offer.

Only thing that could potentially hurt us is if Man Utd or Liverpool get interested in him as a bit part player. A bit far fetched but possible. Benitez and Ferguson sometimes make leftfield signings, especially if they are cheap. Other one to keep an eye on are Villa. Maybe they would go for a punt on him. But still i reckon he would stay.

I think this is short sighted. Dunn is outstanding. But we are weak in many areas. If Dunn's terms make it impossible for us to continue improving as a club, then he should go. I don't want him to, but he is a risky bet.

Dunn obviously wants the best terms he can get but I don't think he's daft enough not to realise that his good form at the moment is due to his playing every week, being fit, and having a team set up to help him play at his best. If we can't offer him a decent deal he may leave but I don't think he wants to - he's been there tried it and it didn't work out. By all accounts he was homesick just in Birmingham, so i don't see him actually WANTING to leave, and I think he's got a pretty fair idea of what the club can afford too - after all, all fans know we have no money!

Me too, I thought Dunn was finished at this level, but it thinking that now seems utterly ridiculous.

I would like to point out that manager deserves ALOT of credit for getting Dunn fit and playing well, something Hughes never managed.

I'm sure there is one or two who will claim it's a coincidence, but I hope everyone else would join me in suggesting it really isn't.

Let's not forget that Ince rushed Dunn back from injury, only for him to develop another problem that would keep him out for four months.

How quickly they forget!

Hughes managed to keep Dunny fit for the majority of the season and a half he was here with him. (check the stats on the official site). It was the useless lump of nonsense that was Wince that caused the injury with his training methods and then tried to rush him back which made him worse.

Another reason to despise Wince- as if any more were needed!

Archived