BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Campaign For Tugay Testimonial

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't mean to annoy anyone but did Tugay really hit the heights being implied by some people? He is/was an incredible talent but, from my memory, even at his best, he could be inconsistent from game to game (giving the ball away quite a lot). He's not been as integral a player to Rovers as Lampard has been for Chelsea or Keane for Utd - but it's all relative. If anything, Damien Duff was more influential for us. I suspect that Tugay's real glory days were actually in Turkey.

Before you make a mess of me, I still adore everything about him - most notable his style of play (Allardyce take NOTE!). The fact that he was there back in the days of John Curtis and Marcus Bent and is still here and playing is remarkable.

He's made me smile many times and even laugh out loud on occasion with some of his football antics ....... and I cannot remember anybody else that could do that save for possibly Duggy on the rare occasion. I cannot even think of many football supporters who will have enjoyed a similar experience. Obviously Ronaldo is fantastic but somehow he always plays with a scowl rather than a smile.

He's made me smile many times and even laugh out loud on occasion with some of his football antics ....... and I cannot remember anybody else that could do that save for possibly Duggy on the rare occasion. I cannot even think of many football supporters who will have enjoyed a similar experience. Obviously Ronaldo is fantastic but somehow he always plays with a scowl rather than a smile.

Will anyone ever again create the theatre and amusement of Tugay's substitution ritual ? - I am waiting for the day he actually manages to dissappear to row 27 of the Riverside before making his way back across the pitch,shaking hands with everyone possible- his team mates,the opposition.the ref,etc,etc

Retire number 5! :P

I know what your saying Jal, 10 years is the rule. In which case 2 years coaching at Rovers and he can have one. Was reading a comment from Zurab that the players want him to coach and he has the attributes and ability to do it.

Stick a fiver on the price of a season ticket to pay his wages and give him a job right now. Its been a privilege and a real thrill to have him around all these years, we mustn't lose such a talisman for the club. I'm filling up.

All good things have to end but some are more painful than others.

Tugay is one cool dude and a brilliant exponent of the art in football.

It has been a privilege seeing him in the blue and white halves all these years and I hope the national media mark his retirement with appropriate coverage.

It has been a privilege seeing him in the blue and white halves all these years and I hope the national media mark his retirement with appropriate coverage.

Not a chance phil unfortunately. Listen to the media 'experts' like Jamie Redknapp, all you hear is 'neat and tidy, rarely wastes a pass'

Id be surprised if he gets more than a page article in the Saturday papers. Goes with the territory for most clubs top players. The outrageous bias of the 'big club' media clique puts pay to anytihng more substantial.

JW you gave Ince a chance, now give a real hero to this club a chance. Tugay for me is not just a great player, but how many players come here for a few years and buggers off! Tugay has been a loyal servant of this club, and whether its 8 or 9 years, the guy deserves his moment to say thank you to the fans.

No coaching role as he doesn't hold the badges, according to Sam

Any way Tugay couldn't coach long ball, it’s completely against his football philosophy.

I am just glad to have been able to watch such an outstanding and gifted player in our shirt for the last 8 years.

Tugay is a footballing genius, a player who actually plays with a smile on his face, and one with a genuine love for Blackburn Rovers.

Legend is definitely an over used word, but not in Tugay's case.

I agree with every word of that.

Not a chance phil unfortunately. Listen to the media 'experts' like Jamie Redknapp, all you hear is 'neat and tidy, rarely wastes a pass'

Id be surprised if he gets more than a page article in the Saturday papers. Goes with the territory for most clubs top players. The outrageous bias of the 'big club' media clique puts pay to anytihng more substantial.

I agree with every word of that, too. Unfortunately.

Meanwhile we've 4 games in which to tell him exactly how much we appreciate the joy he's given us.

My home kit for both this season and the last have his name and number on. An absolute legend!

Tugay is my all time favourite Rovers player (and that goes back pre Pre Dalglish days), he is an entertainer and plays like no-one else we have had.

I'd say have a Rovers vs Graham Souness Select XI - featuring:

Brad Freidel - (Rovers/Gala connection)

Hakan Unsal - (Rovers/Gala)

Lorenzo Amoruso - (Rangers/Rovers)

Henning Berg - (Rovers/Rangers)

A N Other defender

Barry Ferguson

Tugay

Emre

Robbie Savage

Hakan Suker

Shabani Nonda

Having said that, most of them probably aren't fit enough anymore!

Archived