BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Campaign For Tugay Testimonial

To an extent you are right. But Toogs could describe and demonstrate the importance of making room to hit the long passes etc. and offer help in how to maximise whatever natural skill they have. If you are totally right, why bother having coaches in football other than fitness coaches and some drill sargent teaching tactics and how to play the offside trap?

Anyone could tell a player that, you could demonstrate something perfectly 1000 times doiesn;t mean someone could do it for themselves.

There are coaches in football, but I can't see them being employed trying to teach players how to play like Tugay, because otherwise we'd see more players like tugay, wouldn't we? no-one can coach into a player how to find room like he does. He's just special. could Maradona coach Keith Andrews to dribble?

This emotive "he was a great player, let's make him a coach" doesn't stack up, it belittles the pedagogical skills required by a coach to develop players. he'd be another body on the wage bill and I can't imagine him being able to show the axe too many tricks.

****ing good player though, totally magic.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good grief Billy! That is a complete and total impossibility. Skills are God given and not passed from one to another for goodness sake! If skills could be passed on like that then why tf has nobody thought to get Toogs to pass em on to The Axe and Andrews? :rolleyes: Those two have played next to Tugay for long enough yet neither can trap a wet sand bag or pass bloody wind!

True, natural ability cannot be coached but I remember talking to Frank Stapleton when I was a child and he said that he had to work with coaches and plenty of practice otherwise he would never achieved the standard that he did.

Alongside Matt Jansen my favourite ever Rovers player.

Chris Kamara has stated on a number of ocassions that he is the best passer of a football in the league, Fergy himself stated that he would grace the pitch of Barca had he been 10 years younger now. Can we get an interview from the great man before he leaves?

Has Tugay always had vision and competance on the ball or is it something that came to him as he matured as a footballer? Reason I ask is because I hadn't really seen much of him before he joined the Rovers and cant find much footage of a 'young Tugay'.

To an extent you are right. But Toogs could describe and demonstrate the importance of making room to hit the long passes etc. and offer help in how to maximise whatever natural skill they have.

I'm not sure Tugay knows how he does it himself. :rolleyes:

What I DO KNOW is that as well as possessing sublime skills and control Tugay is 2 yards in front of everybody else in thought alone. And that REALLY is the key....... and that is what cannot be taught or passed on. Glenn Hoddle had it too. In comparison the likes of Tim Sherwood and Gordon Cowans only had a yard but it made a one paced fairly ordinary players into a top play makers. Alternatively Andrews and Axe are err somewhat tardy in that dept.............

It can all be coached, Vision, physical, Technical, perception can all be trained. All of this god given talent rubbish, really puts evolution in its place. Have we developed a gene for football, given its only just over 100 years since its inception, I'm going to say no. Different methods and aptitudes in learning yes but genetically pre-disposed to be a footballer rubbish, seriously.

If people really believe this why do we have a lack of sons of footballers, where's pele and maradonna's kids and so on.

WBA three weeks hence - we're safe, the sun, is shining, the beer queue is none existant, and Tugay is strolling it! Take him off 20 minutes from the end -he'll need 10 minutes to walk off - if they can get him off at all!(well they can't do anything to him can they?) and he comes and sits in the Blackburn end for the final Hurrah -- Love it!

Some people are predisposed to be exceptional at football just as they are at music or any art form .

You could talk to someone like Gazza or Tugay about techniques all day long but that ability of theirs to be imaginative and find an angle and to instinctively know where their teammates are is already there within them .

Not everyone can have that no matter who is coaching them . Likewise a Tugay cannot make an average player develop similar "vision" however dedicated they are .

(..in reply to Majiball )

Different aptitudes and method of learning, not a gene to play ball. They have a better ability to analysis the surroundings and act accordingly, this is then developed in the right environment. A combination of abilities that are developed by the environment. They are not specifically for football, but when combined allow someone to thrive in that sport/role.

Its been disproved, Gene for sprinting found in 100% of Jamaicans, now they always produce top sprinters with ######-poor training/facilities it could be genetic. Europe are not so good at producing sprinters but great facilities etc, 80% of the population has the gene. So is it nature or nurture, nurture I'm afraid. Twin studies are out the window but siblings can be used so here's an example.

My aunt got lost the other day because she could not remember where she parked the car (sense of direction, spatial awareness), she dallied round trying to find it, My father (her brother)knew exactly where it was. Why?? my father has a good ability to relate his position to a previous one which has been developed during his formative years 4-7 that she does not. She found the car eventually so has the same ability as my father but not the same aptitude of that ability. genetically very close, but so different. Skills developed during your formative years stay for a long time. This is the key all these world stars where in the right environment for their individual learning methods and aptitudes to reach their potential. Its not as if anyone can't play football its just that we all have different ability levels, so if it was a gene some people would not be able to play at all. Since anyone can though even if it was we would all have it thus eliminating it as a variable a bit like the sprinting research.

As I said where is the son of Pele, Maradonna, Best, Robson, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Shilton, and so on all these previous world stars (so if there's a gene they must have it) and not one of there kids has emulated their fathers, surely if there was a gene for football one of them would have got it? its a potential (v simply) 1 in 4 shot? Its very rare for kids to make the grade, maldini's are the main ones I can think of. Which just weigh's towards nurture.

Anyway should Tugay get a testimonial?, no sorry it for ten years service and would set precedent for all future players. I would ask him to coach with the kids to see if he's any good and then if he is he can have it in 2 years time. But its for 10 years service.

• Backroom

Theno's right in that some people can just see whats happening on a pitch before it happened, players like Zidane and Djorkaeff also had this gift.

There's no way it can be taught.

Tugay doesn't have a son does he?

As I said where is the son of Pele, Maradonna, Best, Robson, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Shilton, and so on all these previous world stars (so if there's a gene they must have it) and not one of there kids has emulated their fathers, surely if there was a gene for football one of them would have got it? its a potential (v simply) 1 in 4 shot? Its very rare for kids to make the grade, maldini's are the main ones I can think of. Which just weigh's towards nurture.

I don't think anyone's claimed that there is an actual "gene" to determine these things - just a predisposition that includes a degree of inherited natural talent which , of course , is worthless without the accompanying dedication .

There are plenty of families who have produced more than one pro footballer . The Charlton /Milburn family produced seven - two world cup winners and Jackie Milburn amongst them . The Allen family also produced seven .

Like it or not , some people are born with talent in a particular field . Others are not .

WBA three weeks hence - we're safe, the sun, is shining, the beer queue is none existant, and Tugay is strolling it! Take him off 20 minutes from the end -he'll need 10 minutes to walk off - if they can get him off at all!(well they can't do anything to him can they?) and he comes and sits in the Blackburn end for the final Hurrah -- Love it!

Ebay has provided the top I'll be wearing for the West Brom game ...

2890_1.JPG

Farwell to a legend. Annoyed that Rovers haven't done more to keep him involved.

Tugay is a legend

I will be dragging my sorry ass north for the WBA game wearing my Tugay T shirt

As a season ticket holder it will be my 3rd game of the season only, good value for money not, but thats a different topic

Lets give him the send off he deserves, his best game was the 4 - 3 Utd, even Taggart was purring at his skills

Son of Cruyff wasn't a bad player, and son of Best inherited a world-class ability with the laydeez. May be summat in it....

This was in today's Independent: -

Tugay, a model pro in any language

The brilliant Tugay, 39 in August, is retiring at the end of the season after eight years at Blackburn Rovers. To say he shuns the spotlight would be an understatement, but his contribution to English football should not be underestimated.

Tugay was part of the Turkey team that clashed with England players during the Euro 2004 qualifying campaign yet he never got involved with the daft nationalism that was prevalent on both sides. I interviewed him in a Cheshire hotel before the game in Istanbul in 2003 and was surprised that, despite having been in Britain with Rangers since 2000, he insisted on speaking in Turkish with his agent Simon Munir translating.

Afterwards, I joked with Simon if he knew a decent Turkish restaurant in Manchester. "Café Istanbul, down the side of Kendals department store," said Tugay from across the room, in perfect English.

Afterwards, I joked with Simon if he knew a decent Turkish restaurant in Manchester. "Café Istanbul, down the side of Kendals department store," said Tugay from across the room, in perfect English.[/i]

That should be in the restaurant thread.

:)

Its a disgrace how the club arent doing anything to keep him involved in some form or another. I dont care who the manager is, or whether the player is retiring or not, or whatever, the club is Blackburn Rovers and we are bigger than anything. Tugay is a part of our history and more should be made to show appreciation for his loyalty and his stay at our club.

Errr, maybe he doesn't want to be

Or maybe he does.

I think Tugay wants to stay. I think most people at Rovers want him to stay. Bobby Mimms (at his Hordens do) said that Tugay was already spending time with youngsters at the club and was an inspiration to them. He's exactly what we need to link what kids see on the TV or at Ewood to what we want to see coming out of Brockhall.

I'm sure the club would allow him time to do his badges and play a part. He's settled having been here 8 years. Let him do his badges as an employee.

Only the current manager can't see Tugay's value. The Maestro is being forced out by a dinosaur.

Archived