SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham City Away

Ozz

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

He probably reverted to 4-4-2 because our deluded fans keep singing 'sort it out' and '4-4-2'.......They call for it week in week out - when it happens it goes wrong and then its not their fault at all. The 4-4-2 didnt get chance to work when we concede soft goals like that!

It didnt work - we didnt seem up for it - thats the way the cookie crumbled! Too many basic errors allowed Brum to take control - FACT!

This board can be so depressing some times....lighten up lads - We should of got a point, we didnt - not the end of the world :lol:

We missed Grella in that game & Dunn.....

or 9 in 7 games - dress it up how you want to suit your arguement! :(

deluded fans? I think you need to take off the allardyce tinted specs mate.

Last night was a disgrace masterminded by Sams lack of sense in picking the team and lack of tactical nouse in how to approach the game.

2-1 flattered us we deserved nothing other than a sound defeat

No devil about it Rev , was going to mention the same ... in fact I will - is it any coincidence since Sam came back how abject our display appears to have become again?

Don't forget we capitulated 3-0 to Fulham under McDonald. Are you implying the players don't want to play for Sam? I'd say he just screwed up the team selection and nothing more.

We had a solid game against Hull. Why Sam decided to change the team, is a mystery. Hoiliett being tired is a poor excuse, because when i was his age, i played 3 games a week and trained. I was not a professional, and im trying to understand why Junior was dropped. Sam needs to be consistent with his team selection, because by constantly changing the team he is disrupting the flow and understanding between the players.

The amount of times we have been subject to a 2 on 1 from the oppositions corner is stupid. Teams have picked up on this and are using it frequently. We have seen it all season at Ewood, why has this not been addressed ? The match commentator last night didnt believe the players could be so stupid as to not make it a 2 on 2 situation, and believed it must be a management strategy which was not and will not ever work. Im not sure who is to blame, but the lack of addressing this issue is going to cost us a lot of goals this season and i firmly believe Aston Villa will hevaily beat us because of this unless SA and his team sort it out.

Keep seeing stuff like 'Utter disgrace by Allardyce - his team, his tactics etc........'

Utter bullsh!t - Andrews wasnt his signing, nor Roberts, nor Gamst....Diouf was - but he had a massive impact last season when it mattered most. I can see the logic in trying again with Gamst & Diouf last night - for a reaction from them, Gamst did ok, Diouf obviously didnt get the warning!

As for the tactics - He played 4-4-2 as some keep calling for.

As for Brum - they were not miles better, they simply work hard and got 2 very poor defended goals. We were poor and they still looked average at best.

Too many under-performing players.....but its been that case for about 3 years now with the likes of Roberts & Gamst!

Look at it this way you say Birmingham are not much better than us, and yet for 70 minutes we made them look like a champions league team, to quote Mr Francis. The fact we where able to almost claw it back for me says that had we taken a different approach from the off, we would have gotten a different score.

Its Sam's job to motivate our players and at present in my mind we have several players who either don't want to be here, or just cannot be bothered, period. Roberts, Diouf, Pedersen, Andrews & Kalinic so half our outfield five, have issues in this department.

Roberts believes he's Didier's brother and has a divine right to play, and since he has said publicly I will leave if I don't play, I would guess he's not 100% with the rovers at present. Diouf, well yes last year he made a significant contribution and for that we thank him. However living in the past does not help the present and this season he's been anonymous, if he's really one of our highest paid players, I despair, really. He is nowhere near the player he was and cannot keep up with the modern day pace. I honestly wonder where his heart is because he doesn't take it on the pitch as he did last year. Pedersen, well he's off he's been playing below par for ages, all I can say is he doesn't want to be here and has publicly encouraged interest from Celtic, not with us anymore. Andrews, I'm not getting involved on the ability debate, but given the majority of fans question his inclusion and some even boo him, I would hazard a guess he will never perform with that constantly going on, no matter how hard he tries. Kalinic, seriously lacking confidence. It stands out like a sore thumb, just look at his reaction to seb larsson's face block. Head in hands, looking to the sky, I believe he's starting to question himself and thats a disaster waiting to happen. We need to be really careful with Kalinic but most importantly we have to get him a goal soon, regardless of its form.

Put them all together and half of our team last night are probably not in the right frame of mind to be out on the pitch. Our static midfield who barely moved all night just persuades me further that they have no desire to represent our club. So yes I do question the man who decided to do it, our abject display for 70 minutes combined with 3 changes resulting in us almost nicking a draw, for me shows Sam got it so wrong from the off.

It was a serious mistake to play them collectively, Sam's mistake. But these issues can be solved.

We need to change our set-up, we need to give Sam a base on which he can be successful, and I honestly believe now he needs more support. At Notlob he had a 32 man team backing him up, some of those have proven there ability by going on to manage in the premiership. This only means that in my mind his backroom team played a significant role in Boltons success. So we need to give him more back-room support, more opinions, more idea's. What would a coach or 5 cost 500K maybe 700K a year, its a no brainer for me, I believe Sam needs it. He's shown at Bolton that when he has lots of good information and people throwing ideas at him he can make the right choices and be successful, we need to give him that here.

Shifting just one player would probably cover the costs of doing this and I can certainly think of one or two that we wouldn't miss, see above.

I'd say less long balls are played in your average Sunday League park game than were played in last night's Premier League match.

I think the attacking 5 we had on the pitch played a large part in our style of play. They never moved, they never showed, they never attacked space. We had no passing options into midfield except N'zonzi who's only options where a punt or a ball back to the defence. Its no wonder we pumped it forward when all your players just stand next to blue shirts what do you do?

Last night was worse than Fulham. Atleast in the first half at Fulham we showed enough to make us feel unlucky to be a goal down. Last night we were lucky to lose 2-1.

The squad needs a massive clear out, unfortunately the ones we need rid of are complete @#/? and wont bring any money in. Regardless of that, get rid, and spend the time looking for gems like N'Zonzi and Samba from overseas. And give Van Heerden a chance.

All. I. want. for. Christmas. is. never. to. see. Jason. Roberts. in. a. Rovers. Shirt. ever. again...

Never, ever ever ever ever again Mum. Well done Sam, let Benni go and keep Roberts. How on earth, can you leave Di Santo, Benni and Hoiliett on the bench and then pick Diouf, Roberts and Pedersen. To make matters worse, he doesnt make a change after 10 mins, then doesnt make changes at half time. Il say it again, those who are happy with him sitting in the stands, can kiss his butt. I dont believe in that, because he needs to be shouting and giving instructions to the team. I cant handle anymore of this ######, ive had enough of these useless bunch of ######. I hope thats dramatic enough.

While I was unhappy at last nights performance - some of the over-reactions on here are again comical. We lost to the form side in the Premier League who haven't lost in 2 months and we've got a horrible record there. It was bad - but let's put some perspective on it guys.

Rubbish Hughesy!

If you see a player punt a hopeless 50 yard lob up to the strikers, you tell them not to. If the player's haven't got the fire in their bellies, then you instil the fear of God in them. If your strike partnership just isn't working, you change it at half time.

Hoilett and McCarthy on the bench, Diouf and Roberts starting - our two worst performers subsequently replaced by our best two performers. That was Sam's choice.

Roberts and Kalinic up front together - Sam's choice.

There is no stability in the side. Part of that is because of Grella and Dunn's seeming inability to stay fit, but what on earth is the good in constantly mixing up the front pair and shifting between 4-5-1 and 4-4-2?

The long ball game can be very effective but not with aimless punts up the pitch to nobody. If it isn't working, you need to be able to put the ball on the floor and at least not gift it back to the opposition. We didn't do that until it was too late - Sam's fault.

Good post, I agree entirely

Never, ever ever ever ever again Mum. Well done Sam, let Benni go and keep Roberts. How on earth, can you leave Di Santo, Benni and Hoiliett on the bench and then pick Diouf, Roberts and Pedersen. To make matters worse, he doesnt make a change after 10 mins, then doesnt make changes at half time. Il say it again, those who are happy with him sitting in the stands, can kiss his butt. I dont believe in that, because he needs to be shouting and giving instructions to the team. I cant handle anymore of this ######, ive had enough of these useless bunch of ######. I hope thats dramatic enough.

He;s been told by Doctors not to stand on the touchline. He usually sits the 1st half in the stands then comes down for the second, but I'm presuming he still hasn't been given the green light to resume, hence why he spent the whole game in the stands.

Just a quick mention to the fans that made the trip – good effort the week before Christmas and in good voice.

Pity the players didn’t have the same enthusiasm, maybe jetlag from the Scandinavian adventure……

Why do people have an issue with Sam being in the stand?

He has a radio link to the bench, he can talk to them in real time and has a far better appreiciation of the game with the viewpoint he has in the stand. He is the one that calls the shots, so it should be him in the stands so he can see exactly whats going on himself and not get the info second hand. This is one of Sam's biggest contributions to the game taken from american sports, I think its a very good idea. McDonald has proven that he's more than capable of controlling from the touchline in his short tenure.

So whats the issue?

While I was unhappy at last nights performance - some of the over-reactions on here are again comical. We lost to the form side in the Premier League who haven't lost in 2 months and we've got a horrible record there. It was bad - but let's put some perspective on it guys.

And that would be what LW? We cant always put things into perspective, when clearly team selection was wrong on the night. When Benni and Hoiliett came on, things changed. Had they started, we would have sung a different tune. The over reaction is justified, because Sams selection and team performance was utter garbage.

Why do people have an issue with Sam being in the stand?

He has a radio link to the bench, he can talk to them in real time and has a far better appreiciation of the game with the viewpoint he has in the stand. He is the one that calls the shots, so it should be him in the stands so he can see exactly whats going on himself and not get the info second hand. This is one of Sam's biggest contributions to the game taken from american sports, I think its a very good idea. McDonald has proven that he's more than capable of controlling from the touchline in his short tenure.

So whats the issue?

Im the only one with the issue of him being in the stand. If he saw, what everybody else saw then he would have been down there. I wonder why SAF, Mourinho, Capello, Carlos Alberto Parreira, Trappaoni, are not up in the stands. Its my view on it, and im a keen follower of football coaches and managers and i dont believe in Sam being up there. This is my opinion and il stick with it.

Yes they are the form team in the league but they are not world class and for much of the game we made them look like it. Could you see where a goal was coming from? We couldn't! Could you see players closing down, running into space, trying to win balls back when they were given away. It's not the result people are reacting to - it's true our record at St Andrews is not good and they are playing well with confidence - it's the lack of effort and committment and the manager's decisions and apparent lack of ability to change things with his half time talk that people are annoyed at. Wenger apparently threw the teacups at Anfield at the weekend and the players responded. I'd like to know what happened in our dressing room because if anything we got worse.

If I recall correctly, Sam should have the all clear to get back to the touchline against Spurs. I damned well hope so. On the subject of 'who' on the touchline, Sam looks a LOT more frightening when shouting and will have more of motivational effect on the players imo. McDonald should be the good cop to Sam's bad.

I didn't agree with the starting 11 - but then again I don't have access to pro-zone stats or the notes of the trainers at Brockhall. It could be that Sam decided to mix things up to ensure players stayed fit for what will be a busy Christmas - followed by an equally busy January.

As fans we want it all ways - some complained when Dunn was (in their opinion) played too much and picked up an injury - and then complain when players are rested (McCarthy for one had looked tired since his efforts in the Chelsea match).

This will be a see-saw season - our better players are either injury prone or young and susceptible to swings in form. Too many previous first team players like MGP and Diouf seem to be in terminal decline.

For me, the club have to take radical action and get rid of some of this deadwood we have - and put up a bit of money (can you hear in Jersey ?) to allow Sam to wheel and deal. There are some very promising players in the squad - we need to hold onto them and sublement with some new blood.

No Givet please!Weak defence, slow, no support to Gamst.We only pass and attack in the right side.

Scaffolding couldn't support Gamst at the moment.

Givet has saved our arse from many a goal this season. You can not blame Givet for Gamsts inadequacies, was it Warnocks fault before?

Ped's mind is elsewhere, possibly where Andrews passing acumen is.

If I recall correctly, Sam should have the all clear to get back to the touchline against Spurs. I damned well hope so. On the subject of 'who' on the touchline, Sam looks a LOT more frightening when shouting and will have more of motivational effect on the players imo. McDonald should be the good cop to Sam's bad.

Let us hope so, but I would hate to rush the man into that.

The surgery that he just had isn't a minor stitch to the toe.

I honestly believe that he may be on some downers: to keep his heart rate down. Can you imagine the pulse rate of any manager at last nights performance?

We are crap away from home. We were playing the Premier league form team, at their place. Historically we rarely do well there (4-0 FA cup 3rd round a few years back anyone?). People are surprised we lost? Really?

Having said that though, we were shocking. You can blame individuals for not playing well but I still say, and have done for 18 months, that our problem is our midfield. As a collective it is woefully below par. This puts extra pressure on our defence and strikers and goes some way to explaining why we hump it long week in week out.

ok a number of points

playing the long ball is ok, but you have to the right forwards and wide midfield players, the service into the forwards is vital. if you look back at the good rovers sides most of them had good wide players who could cross well

Who fits into that grouping now.

center midfield withput dunn we have no one who have find the killer pass, and hence its hard to get goals.

Sam has stated that in jan if the team stays the same he is happy, well good for him. but a blind man can see that our side needs better midfield and wide players, most of the fans know which players should go, will it happen in jan i think not.

Full backs need to be fast amd know whem to tackle and when too. one of our full abck know when to tackle bit is a bit too slow, thw other one is fast but dives in at the wrong time.

All in all we have not a bad team, but it needs a few changes and the time to do it is now

Hoping for a 0-0? Surely we've got to be setting our sights higher than that?

1-0 Rovers, I think Di Santo will deliver the goods tonight. Brum's good run must end somewhere and so must our goal drought.

:rover: you were right about the goal drought :brfc:

Archived