BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Of Wigan Away

cn174

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there plenty of places to park around the ground? Off for my first trip to the DW tomorrow!

Ditto for this - wouldn't mind a place that's easy exit, even if a bit of a stroll.

Funny, keep telling people here in London I'm going to Wigan for Boxing Day and I get weirder stares and comments than when I go to Blackburn!

PM sent Cranny

I'm on my phone mate and can't seem to find where to look for your PM!! I have one ticket left now!! But if you or anyone still wants a ticket!! It's an adult one, so just hoping for the 20 notes back!! We will be arriving in Wigan at 12 an planning on going straight in the pub next to the ground!! So just ring me or text me!! My mob is #. I will have the ticket on me!! Adam

Is there plenty of places to park around the ground? Off for my first trip to the DW tomorrow!

Ditto for this - wouldn't mind a place that's easy exit, even if a bit of a stroll.

Funny, keep telling people here in London I'm going to Wigan for Boxing Day and I get weirder stares and comments than when I go to Blackburn!

The away carpark (carpark 1) is the first one as you turn down the road to the JJB and the furthest away from the ground (if you are coming from Blackburn direction ). It makes it easier than the others to get out of, but none of them are brilliant to be honest. The other thing that is annoying is when I go to the rugby most of the carparks are free, for the football they charge grrr

WIGAN CARPARKS

For those driving down, get down early if you want to park near the ground - the main roads are fairly clear but alot of the surrounding streets roads etc are like ice rinks unless some have managed to be cleared. Bearing in mind its also Boxing Day Saturday and its next to the retail park - without stating the obvious traffic is likely to be heavy and slow more than it normally is anyway which is not good at the best of times.

Personally , I think if you can, park in town (unless you don't mind being stuck on a car park for ages) if you are coming via the M61, have a beer or 5 if you are not a driver and walk to the ground (although,thinking about it that could be hazardous under foot)

Just hoping, sorry praying that the 'Dublin dud' isnt in the centre of midfield today or even on the bench.

With Dunn and Grella out there is no chance of your wish coming true unfortunately. Isn't Emerton possibly back - so there is a slight chance he'll only be on the bench.

I actually have a good feeling about today - good following today from Rovers and I think we'll win. Really looking forward to this game - managed to persuade my dad and brothers to come along (it's usually just me and the missus). My brothers rarely get to games nowadays, so hoping for a good showing to tempt them back!

Bearing in mind its also Boxing Day Saturday and its next to the retail park - without stating the obvious traffic is likely to be heavy and slow more than it normally is anyway which is not good at the best of times.

The secret to avoiding the traffic is to approach the ground from the opposite end. I know the way but anyone who doesn't just get a map out.

There is also a good route from the M6 which very few folk use. Leave the M6 at junction 26 for the M58. Go around the roundabout (NOT towards Liverpool) and exit the roundabout up the little hill (signed Up Holland I think). At lights turn LEFT (Wigan is signed right) on A577 Orrell Road, next lights turn RIGHT at crossroads surrounded by small shops, on to Gathurst Road (might be Gaulthurst) the B5206. Take first RIGHT (non-residential that is) Spring Road, there is a pub on the left as you turn right. Follow road to Heinz factory and follow road round to right at this point. Follow road through a rough housing estate, keeping straight on. You'll come to a roundabout on Woodhouse Drive / Wigan Road the JJB will be in front of you.

With Dunn and Grella out there is no chance of your wish coming true unfortunately. Isn't Emerton possibly back - so there is a slight chance he'll only be on the bench.

I actually have a good feeling about today - good following today from Rovers and I think we'll win. Really looking forward to this game - managed to persuade my dad and brothers to come along (it's usually just me and the missus). My brothers rarely get to games nowadays, so hoping for a good showing to tempt them back!

Lets hope we have a good time at the DW and if, Keef plays, just hope he doesnt let the team down and plays a key part in a winning side - theres no evidence whatsoever to support this but we can but hope at Christmas time.

Can Paul Robinson stop a shot today ?

Just hoping, sorry praying that the 'Dublin dud' isnt in the centre of midfield today or even on the bench.

It will be Keith's 50th appearance for Rovers if he plays. There is an article on him in today's Independent, which if I knew how to put up a link I would.

Car parking used to be free when Wigan first came up but there has been a charge for the last couple of seasons. If you didn't pay last year you were lucky.

A tip for parking. Ignore the away parking and carry on to park in the space between the ground and the canal. About 5.15 they usually open a route out of the car park the other way to the way you came in which everyone else is trying to use. You can usually drive straight out this way, past Asda and into town for the north or the road to the M6 south. Either way the traffic should be clear.

The secret to avoiding the traffic is to approach the ground from the opposite end. I know the way but anyone who doesn't just get a map out.

There is also a good route from the M6 which very few folk use. Leave the M6 at junction 26 for the M58. Go around the roundabout (NOT towards Liverpool) and exit the roundabout up the little hill (signed Up Holland I think). At lights turn LEFT (Wigan is signed right) on A577 Orrell Road, next lights turn RIGHT at crossroads surrounded by small shops, on to Gathurst Road (might be Gaulthurst) the B5206. Take first RIGHT (non-residential that is) Spring Road, there is a pub on the left as you turn right. Follow road to Heinz factory and follow road round to right at this point. Follow road through a rough housing estate, keeping straight on. You'll come to a roundabout on Woodhouse Drive / Wigan Road the JJB will be in front of you.

Only problem with that route Paul is whether the roads are passable.

If you fancy a decent drink not far from the ground (5-10 mins walk) and fairly cheap and quiet PM me - its where we'll be heading - there will be Wigan fans but it not for the loons and you'll be ok - heading down there for about 1pm

Only problem with that route Paul is whether the roads are passable.

If you fancy a decent drink not far from the ground (5-10 mins walk) and fairly cheap and quiet PM me - its where we'll be heading - there will be Wigan fans but it not for the loons and you'll be ok - heading down there for about 1pm

Hadn't thought about the roads being passable, most are OK round here and I thought Wigan had less snow? It's a good point though.

Any other day I would have joined you in the pub but I've got 7 others with me, some I only know vaguely, and who don't know where the JJB is. We have to go in tandem and I think just getting everyone there is going to be a challenge. Thamks for the offer, next season perhaps?

Samba in for Lars and Andrews for Grella. Rest is the same which means Benni again with Di Santo.

Hopefully he puts on a performance does our Benni and stays put.

Not a good sign for Pedersen or Diouf when a right back who is clearly past his best gets to start on the wings instead of both.

Archived