BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool Away Preview

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we were excellent all game. The game plan was good, the 4-3-3 worked well. I dont think there was too much of a difference with Roberts on in terms of direct impact, but it had the Pool defenders more worried. In general it was a great effort, which was undone by a big defensive howler by our keeper.

Maybe with the pressure of relegation a bit off now the manager let us loosen up today on the pitch and I hope the same approach is taken for the rest of our away games.

An excellent game to watch and we played some really good stuff at times. Neat touches, short passes, clever flicks. Showed a lot of attacking intent.

We need Pedersen to sign that contract. Really is like a man reborn. Was it that all he needed was a different role these last few seasons? Kalinic is a constant handful for the opposition defence.

Hoilett had a good chance and fluffed it. No way is he a center forward. Plenty of potential but not lived up to it yet.

Samba tends to be the one who randomly boots it forward and loses possession more than the others. If we could work on his distribution...well, I suppose we would be selling him... :unsure:

Robinson was very poor on the second goal. No need to go so far from the line and was completely wrong-footed. Very disappointing and I'm not sure if the defenders really know what he is going to do in situations like that which can hardly help their composure. Despite that he made some good saves. Shot stopping is his strength but positioning and getting down quickly let him - and us - down.

Overall though an exciting game to watch and we kept going to the final whistle. A HUGE improvement when compared to our other away performances and especially to those away to the big teams.

If we play like this at Spurs we might even take all 3 points. We gave our all and always competed so, despite the defeat, a much better away day for Rovers and the long-suffering travelling fans.

We've rarely had such a good performance in an away game this season, then again we'll rarely find a team that's there for the taking as much as Liverpool. The reason why we lost this game is one - Chris Samba. Worst individual performance of the entire season right here. Pretty much every one of his touches was a tragedy, both in defense and attack. Destroyed all our efforts today.

Overstatement I think. I thought he was alright. Certainly not man of the match, but I didnt notice the mistakes you were hinting at.

Huge shame we got nothing out of that one.

Liverpool were hanging on at the end and a great save by Reina from Samba. The stats show 12 shots each with Rovers having more on target and we bossed it for long periods. Gerard and Torres scoring for them says it all and sums up why they didn't get beaten.

Robinson had a very good game apart from that idiotic wandering out of his goal for the Torres goal- want to know why he isn't England's number 1? Summed up in that moment.

Most of the team was excellent but Andrews simply is not good enough at this level and got very lucky with his pen which was weakly struck and so close to Reina it passed under his waist. Chimbonda was not with it when he first came on and got the benefit of the doubt when he could have been sent off.

Other than that, Kalinic continues to shine (silly dive though), Grella did really well when he came on, Nzonzi looked the real deal, Givet was Mr Cool and huge plaudits to Diouf who is back to his best and to Samba who was utterly immense today. Hoilett and Olsson are going to be really good players for us.

The biggest plaudit is to Sam who set us up exactly as I hoped he would. We gave Liverpool a torrid time and silenced their crowd. On another day, we would have won that one.

Onwards and upwards.

Me too.

I'm just disappointed we didn't go at them from the start with 2 up top and hopefully get a lead to defend. Under Sam we seem to do the opposite - go behind and have a go when it's too late! So frustrating .....

We did go at them from the start and were the better team until Gerrard's fortuitous goal.

If we had played 2 up front our midfield 4 - which included lightweights like Hoilett and Andrews - might well have been swamped by Liverpool's 5 and we could have lost the game by half time. Instead we should have been at least level but for woeful defending for their second.

Very happy with the level of performance, just a shame that we didn't get the point(s) it deserved. Liverpool were never at the races and we didn't let them into the game.

Some strange reffing to our benefit largely, but some of the 50/50s which were never fouls went against us.

1 goalkeeping error from Robbo and 1 brilliant save from Reina was the glaring difference between the teams.

Still I didn't expect to get anything from the game so it is no loss, just hope we can keep this going for the final 10 games and really pick up some points.

Wanting a player to get a broken leg is over the top in my view.

He's been p1ssing all afternoon. Rovers showed loads of heart, especially playing at Anfield. Robbo still screwing up at the back and Reina with a great save to keep out Samba. As someone else said earlier it was about the keepers.

Love the link up with Chimbonda and Diouf but what is wrong with Chimbonda ? How can a man with braids in his hair and clearly wearing tights be so aggressive ?

Threw a punch at someone the other week and buried his studs into a player's chest and back today ?

Im feeling much more confident about the rest of our games, although Chelsea, United, and Arsenal will probably not result in any victories, I feel we can compete in those games, and out of the rest of the 7 games, I think we can pick up another 10-12 points, which would be a decent turn-around for the season.

At long last, we let the big time Charlies know they were in a game. I really enjoyed it.

Liverpool goals both came from very poor initial clearances; N'Zonzi's weak header for the first and Olsson should have put it out for the 2nd. In both cases it went straight to one of theirs in acres of space and when you have Torres and Gerrard running at you, you're in trouble. Robbo looked bad for the 2nd but I don't think he would have stopped it if he had held back. It was a good pulled back cross and a finish high into the net. As said earlier, the fault was with Torres' marker.

Very unlucky at the end with Kuyt's header from Samba's usual useless flick on and MGP had 3 great shots well saved. And well done Andrews having the gumption to take the pen - hard and low which is better than Roberts of Diouf ever did.

No complaints from me if we approach the remaining games like we did today - it's what the fans have been crying out for for months.

It's difficult to be too downhearted since we gave a good account of ourselves, and if not for Robinson's error, could have easily taken a point. Hopefully we can take heart from the positives and take this performance into our next game at Spurs - with better results.

Pretty much every one of his touches was a tragedy, both in defense and attack. Destroyed all our efforts today.

The earthquake in Chile in which many people died is a tragedy. A footballer having a poor game is not.

Good performance today, but I feel it'll get over shadowed by the media and Rafa claiming we're over physical and just a bunch of Blackburn thugs.

If I’d paid to go today, I’d have come away feeling I got moneys worth, not something many would have said to often away from home in recent times I’d wager.

To also raise a few eyebrows on here, I thought Diouf had a good game today, he linked the play up well, chased lost causes, and held the ball up well, credit where credits due, he's still a **** though :tu:

Now where is that Allardyce thread, more praise to dish out.....

Good performance today. Allardyce is working wonders with a squad so lacking in quality.

Agreed. Liverpool for were there for the taking today especially after playing on Thursday night - Sam's comments below

"We can moan about the defending but the quality of their players is what Liverpool are about and why they are at the top of the league most seasons and we didn't have that, so sadly we have not managed to get the result we deserve.

I thought we were very good today - without doubt the best away performance of the season. Sam and the players seem to be on the same wavelength now and the players look united with a good team spirit. The difference today was the quality that Liverpool had at key times in the match. They had two chances and took them. We had several opportunities but didn't make the most of them. Their 'keeper also made a save when he had to and Robinson, despite having a decent match, went walkabout on the second goal.

Nonetheless, I came away from Anfield really encouraged by what I had seen and believe that we will be a very strong outfit next season under Sam.

Just got back from Liverpool. Played well today. I thought Liverpool were there for the taking, created plenty of chances, but we just couldnt take them. Forget the usual to phisical rubbish from Rafa, this is a good excuse from him to hide how poor they were. This is the worst Liverpool side I have seen, and I for one hope they dont make the top four.

As for Rovers we do need to be more clinical in fron of goal.

Just thought I would mention, only about 500 Rovers fans in the away end, but at £39 a ticket I am not knocking anyone.

Archived