BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ins and outs

nicko

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old article below but what's so "sensational" about this possible signing? Is it sensenational because we are actually adding a player to the squad?

Blackburn set for sensational swoop for out-of-contract French U21 international Herold Goulon

Everything I am hearing is pointing to this lad being a bit special. Watching and waiting anxiously.

Everything I am hearing is pointing to this lad being a bit special. Watching and waiting anxiously.

From what I've read, I like the look of this player. Appears to have talent - our midfield is woefully lacking quality so regardless of whether he is a defensive or attacking midfielder, he could prove to be a decent acquisition.

The Sunday People linking Phil Jones with Tottenham again. Figure of £10m being quoted.

God I hate those cockney spivs. Just as well he's on a new contract. The future of the club, no way should he be sold for any offer.

• Backroom

Be nice if Goulon can be wrapped up tomorrow to make a halftime appearance for the draw.

I may get myself giddy over us signing someone, anyone!

Without a takeover or backing from the Trust, Sam will be scrambling for peanuts again next year. If someone did have to be sold for reinvestment, it would have to be Samba. We have Jones, Givet, Nelsen (for another year at least), and possibly Hanley in the future. If Samba's departure meant we could sign a quality striker and an attacking midfielder, it'd be an egg worth cracking.

God I hate those cockney spivs. Just as well he's on a new contract. The future of the club, no way should he be sold for any offer.

Spurs are a dreadful club. Something is always dodgy about them. Using their many friends in the press to unsettle players is a favourite tactic. Ffs, how many players do they get linked with? They are a sneaky, slimy outfit that always need watching, never more so than now when they have an actual Cockney spiv as a manager.

Jason Roberts is allegedly heading for Leceister City on Monday, per http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/index.html. I know its not a reliable site but it was mentioned several times so I thought I'd pass it on.

I read that on another site a few days ago. What amazed me is that Wigan were said to be still keen to re-sign him and were disappointed that their 1M offer was rejected by Rovers in the summer. If that's right its criminal. We were only 500000 quid off signing Popov and not even that could be found by the Trust. Absolutely disgusting--if true.

I did not know where to post this so I thought of hereunless I am missing the point for several years now we seem to not be replacing like for like but like for incredibly average players and that can't continue if we look at it Robinson for Friedel not that I am knocking Robbo just that Friedel was a better keeper when he was with us maybe Robbo will get that status but is not there yet. Warnolk replaced by Chimbonda well no comparison there Warnolk is ten times the player Chimbonda ever was my opinion not as good. Tugay retired replaced by nobody all we have is a collection of defensive Midfielders N'Zonzi,Linganzi,Grella,Andrews the only creative player is Dunn and we can hardly compare as he is constantly injured without him we would be doomed. Hopefully Herold Goulon is creative but no idea what type of player he is. Bentley replaced with Diouf/Hoilett both very good players but Hoilett too inexperienced Diouff I am not knocking because he does work hard and gives his all for the team but sadly is nowhere near the quality of what a Bentley was. Santa Cruz replaced with Kalinic I am not knocking Kalinic cos I believe he is a good player and my fav. player at the moment & will improve with age but sadly nowhere near as good as Santa Cruz in terms of finishing ability. Roberts possibly being sold MB Diouf in that is the one where we have slightly improved a better like for like swap and is vital we try and secure his services in the summer or we will again be weaker. Mc Carthy not really replaced with Benjani coming in again as I stress yes works hard but is too old injury prone very inferior player at least Mc Carthy could finish and make space for himself Benjani can't even do that. Looking at that lot in detail we seem to be replacing like for incredibly average in some cases & that can't be allowed to continue otherwise relegation is inevitable & as for proposing selling Samba/Jones that would be like the final nail in the coffin because sadly we would never cope. Not that I am knocking the players we have they are still a good bunch of lads!.Sadly there is a worrying trend here thoughts please?.

I read that on another site a few days ago. What amazed me is that Wigan were said to be still keen to re-sign him and were disappointed that their 1M offer was rejected by Rovers in the summer. If that's right its criminal. We were only 500000 quid off signing Popov and not even that could be found by the Trust. Absolutely disgusting--if true.

Not true.

Wigan looked at Roberts because they thought they were missing out on Di Santo.

Chelsea eventually did a deal on Di Santo the day after - and so the Roberts interest was dropped.

TBH, with us in our current position, I can't understand how we can afford to let Roberts go anywhere. He should be in the matchday squad.

Disappointingly, he's probably our best striker.

Have to say i absolutely disagree. He is a very average striker. His hold-up and finishing is non existant and he makes me so angry when he gives away free kicks all the time and has a grim smile on his face. He is also old and playing him would be hinder the development of our younger players.

Those who casually say we should get rid of Roberts need to realise our current options.

Kalinic – shows glimpse of quality, however still not proven and struggles to play on his own up top in the manager’s preferred formation/system, jury very much still out.

Diouf – still raw but looks talented. Had a promising start but could fade (we just don’t know).

Benjani – regardless of views on his ability, can he stay fit?

I see that I now have 3 different posters against me and it makes me wonder why I am having this negative view on Roberts? Have we been watching the same games? Everytime Roberts play he tries to hold up the ball but he only gives away free kicks. He doesnt have technique and his finishing is horrible. To say he is the best allardyce striker in our squad is wrong IMO. Even though Kali struggles to play up-top alone he is much better than Roberts holding the ball up and passing. He has some nice flicks and he is a goal-poacher.

I see that I now have 3 different posters against me and it makes me wonder why I am having this negative view on Roberts? Have we been watching the same games? Everytime Roberts play he tries to hold up the ball but he only gives away free kicks. He doesnt have technique and his finishing is horrible. To say he is the best allardyce striker in our squad is wrong IMO. Even though Kali struggles to play up-top alone he is much better than Roberts holding the ball up and passing. He has some nice flicks and he is a goal-poacher.

If Roberts could finish, we'd have made a mint on him. On his day, he's a real workhorse with his power and pace, he just fluffs his lines when given too much time to think. As I said before, he's the only striker we have who can out-muscle defenders and make his own chance (a quality needed in this Allardyce side).

Kalinic does his best, but he always looks like he's fighting a losing battle. It's no coincidence that his two goals were absolute gifts.

Archived