BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of ROVERS vs. Blackpool; 19 March 2011.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is scientific fact that higher endurance levels lead to more sprints, more ball contacts, more anaerobic actions (IE tackles) and increases these actions above the norm especially in the second half.

Sam's sports science came from his back room team of 33 odd people at Bolton not him. We have a good man in Howard at the club who is well supported by Lamb, but 2 people cannot do the same job as the 7-8 people Bolton had working on fitness. 2 men will struggle to keep up with all the latest science and given the way physiology has gone since we have been able to track proteins etc, you need a PhD to get your head round it all. The biggest mistake IMO the club made during Sam's tenure was not expanding the back-room team, Sam knows some of the best people in British sports science and I'm sure he could have put together a back-room team that would rival the best. And this is what people don't understand the likes of United have their own research facility, headed up by Laia an ex Bangsbo disciple and so they can do serious science. We have nothing like this at all and the difference it could all make is easy to see in any Journals.

Have you thought about sending your CV in Maji? (serious question). My daughter did that some years ago. Although obviously not in a football context, but in a rarely arising opportunity needing a strong mix of Mental Nursing and software engineering experience and they invited her in for an immediate interview, and the upshot was they offered the post immediately after her interview. She is there yet, so you never know what will happen if you just have the knowledge and experience they need.

Positive thinking from the fans is vital - I've seen Blackpool fans say that if they just contain us for the first 30 minutes, the home crowd will lose patience and then the game is theirs.

BACK THE PLAYERS. Positivity and a belief we can play our way out of trouble are the only things that can save us from the drop.

Have you thought about sending your CV in Maji? (serious question). My daughter did that some years ago. Although obviously not in a football context, but in a rarely arising opportunity needing a strong mix of Mental Nursing and software engineering experience and they invited her in for an immediate interview, and the upshot was they offered the post immediately after her interview. She is there yet, so you never know what will happen if you just have the knowledge and experience they need.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, trouble is they'll read the culture one and then they'll never reply to my CV, lol.

I have thought about it and Tris kindly got me a foot in the door once, but I worry whether I would be able to keep the fan in me under control. Anyway as things stand I may not even be in the country next year, so I need to get that sorted one way or another first. If I end up staying in Pool next year I will need a new club as I'm leaving my current one so the old CV will be flying around every where and my phone bill will be enormous. I'll send one to Rovers for a change and let you know what happens if events transpire to keep me here.

It is scientific fact that higher endurance levels lead to more sprints, more ball contacts, more anaerobic actions (IE tackles) and increases these actions above the norm especially in the second half.

Don't want to wee on your chips Maji so to speak and this is just the cynic in me - but how can this convey?

I can understand the theoretics in it as proof individually ie increased fitness should = increased performance, but not the application into a game of football :rock:

There are too many other mediums that affect the outcome in a game of footbal - nobody can predetermine where a ball is going to go, the state of mind/fitness of a player on a particular day/game , a referees actions etc.

I know science has its place in the game, but IMO its like statistics and is just one element added to a multitude of other 'tools' to look at and should not be the base for a managers actions.

Don't want to wee on your chips Maji so to speak and this is just the cynic in me - but how can this convey?

I can understand the theoretics in it as proof individually ie increased fitness should = increased performance, but not the application into a game of football :rock:

There are too many other mediums that affect the outcome in a game of footbal - nobody can predetermine where a ball is going to go, the state of mind/fitness of a player on a particular day/game , a referees actions etc.

I know science has its place in the game, but IMO its like statistics and is just one element added to a multitude of other 'tools' to look at and should not be the base for a managers actions.

Your talking about fatigue and fatigue is a multi dimensional issue in that it affects both the psychological systems and the physiological ones. But fatigue come about as a result of inadequate fitness levels for the task demands. As a game in soccer progresses into the second half less actions occur as players are getting fatigued, so by increasing fitness levels fatigue gets delayed and so consequently players can perform at higher levels for longer.

I'm not saying it will win you games but at the end of the day if you can make more actions in the second half your chances increase. You need to isolate sections and test them as the way you have suggested it means that the number of variables is too high to analysis or isolate a reason. So we would use a small sided game IE 5 v 5. No tactical instruction is given, take out the ref and test their fitness levels before hand. play a game of 5 v 5 and then train one team to improve endurance performance and the other to maintain fitness. after a set period test fitness again & play another game and compare the actions with those from previous. Pair match the teams in advance for playing level, skill and so on and that's about the best balance you'll get.

Look at the aussies, they embrace science from top to toe. Sporting wise they are one of the best. Spain's new football team and coaching structure etc all based on incorparting science and football. Sam's achievements at Bolton? science. No science is not the be all and end all, but without it you won't ever understand the why.

I agree with Maji on this one but believe he overlooked a key aspect of sports science in that it also aids in injury prevention (take a look at the likes of Duff and Cruz under Hughes, they have stayed relativly injury free.. esp in terms of their long standing injury records).

For me this season has been awful in terms of injuries (a very high number of strains and hamstring injuries), in our last 5 games we have had at least 4 players out injured per game, hardly any (Mame the only one?) of our squad have made it through the season without at least one injury and as a small club with a relativly small squad (certainly in terms of players capable of playing in the epl), with very little cover in any position, we can't afford this.

Does anyone have the latest injury/suspension list for the game?

On a side note would love to see formica getting a game, sounds like he is our only option as a creative midfielder atm.

It's worth pointing out that Blackpool have lost their last 4 games away from home, 3 in the league and 1 in the cup. I think they will be just as nervous as our players at the beginning which will probably lead to a cagey opening 10-15 minutes. I think the team who settles down quickest will probably go on and win it. I think first goal could be crucial, get it and the fans and players will relax a bit more and play with some confidence, concede it and even the hardiest of Blackburn fan will begin to think it's not our day again.

Archived