BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Watched a titchy bit of Sherwood last night, looks like it's going to be a real heavy hitter of a show, gonna have to put it on the back burner until I'm in the mood for something heavy though, right now I just fancy something in the 'guilty pleasure' spectrum of shows 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

11 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

The tour around Sellafield is supposed to be really good

Lucky enough to have had two and it does not disappoint. I find it makes the documentaries even more interesting to watch

Did anyone watch Freddie Flintoff trying to get Preston youths interested in cricket?  BBC 1 last Tuesday night. First of 3 episodes.

I thought it was very well done and an insight into the youth of today. How I felt so sorry for them having been let down by society as a whole; parents, schools, government, everyone.

• Like 2

It also shows the decline of cricket as a state school sport, as the lads all called it ‘posh’, it maybe elsewhere, but with our strong club game in the north, it used to be anything but up here.

Football winter, cricket summer was the mantra.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

It also shows the decline of cricket as a state school sport, as the lads all called it ‘posh’, it maybe elsewhere, but with our strong club game in the north, it used to be anything but up here.

Another element in this issue is the lack of works teams. When I was playing my company had two cricket teams playing every week. I was only good enough to play for the reserves at cricket. We had an enclosed ground with a full time groundsman. They also had a bowling green with a full time green keeper. Lots a big engineering companies did the same. They put good money in the sports and social side of work. Now the companies have all gone the grounds have gone the same way. My old ground has houses on it now as have all the other grounds I played on barring one.

Any sport is like a pyramid, the bigger the base at the bottom the better the players are at the top.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

On 11/07/2022 at 07:52, Mattyblue said:

It is funny how perceptions of sports can vary completely from one small area to the next. Personally growing up in blackburn on council estates and going to Catholic comprehensive schools pretty much anything other than football seemed posh or middle class to me and i still have zero interest in any other sports. 

Also just being honest, but it was only really Asian kids that showed interest in cricket when i was young,

Maybe its not the same today but it was all pretty much determined by your cultural background back then 

I went to Catholic comps, but a load of my mates both played and watched cricket. But I suppose I was from a suburban estate in ‘posh’ Pleckgate. All relative, I suppose.

Even now, go to Cherry Tree or Darwen cricket club or any of the ones in Accy or Burnley and they are doing really well and they are anything but ‘posh’, I mean actual ‘posh’, just everyday northern folk.

2 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

It is funny how perceptions of sports can vary completely from one small area to the next. Personally growing up in blackburn on council estates and going to Catholic comprehensive schools pretty much anything other than football seemed posh or middle class to me and i still have zero interest in any other sports. 

Also just being honest, but it was only really Asian kids that showed interest in cricket when i was young,

Maybe its not the same today but it was all pretty much determined by your cultural background back then 

There was a bit of that, both of the teams were run by guys from the office side of the business who had a tendency to pick their mates. Lads like me who were working on the shop floor weren’t in the clique.

• Like 1

I just finished “We own this city”, from David Simon, the genius behind the all time best TV show, The Wire. Brilliant performances from Jon Bernthal, the guy who played Sean Suiter, and the civil rights advocate, an amazing conclusion, and a riveting true life story of corruption and the futility of the war on drugs.

Similar in a lot of ways to the wire, this takes a more matter-of-fact approach to crime and punishment in Baltimore, with less humour and less character development. Like the wire, it shows the trickle down effects of disinterested or downright foolish policy on institutions and ordinary people that are affected by them. People get caught up along the way and are used, chewed up, and become complicit, while those trying to do good have to fight an unwinnable war against criminals and a crooked and poorly administered system.

I wholeheartedly recommend this show. At only 6 episodes it is an easy binge watch, and although it takes a while to adjust to the accents and the narrative which jumps through timelines and parallel storylines, the payoff is worth it as everything is drawn together for a hard hitting and unflinching conclusion. 

Lots of good cameos from the cast of the wire along the way, and I believe I noticed a member of the Barksdale crew being referred to in a court scene near the end 😄

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

I just finished “We own this city”, from David Simon, the genius behind the all time best TV show, The Wire. Brilliant performances from Jon Bernthal, the guy who played Sean Suiter, and the civil rights advocate, an amazing conclusion, and a riveting true life story of corruption and the futility of the war on drugs.

Similar in a lot of ways to the wire, this takes a more matter-of-fact approach to crime and punishment in Baltimore, with less humour and less character development. Like the wire, it shows the trickle down effects of disinterested or downright foolish policy on institutions and ordinary people that are affected by them. People get caught up along the way and are used, chewed up, and become complicit, while those trying to do good have to fight an unwinnable war against criminals and a crooked and poorly administered system.

I wholeheartedly recommend this show. At only 6 episodes it is an easy binge watch, and although it takes a while to adjust to the accents and the narrative which jumps through timelines and parallel storylines, the payoff is worth it as everything is drawn together for a hard hitting and unflinching conclusion. 

Lots of good cameos from the cast of the wire along the way, and I believe I noticed a member of the Barksdale crew being referred to in a court scene near the end 😄

Its next on my list Hypnotic.

I started to watch the first episode a few weeks back and right away noticed a grown up Marlo Stanfield playing a policeman.

10 hours ago, Gav said:

Its next on my list Hypnotic.

I started to watch the first episode a few weeks back and right away noticed a grown up Marlo Stanfield playing a policeman.

I don’t know if they’ve done it on purpose but the good guys from the wire seem to play bad guys in this one and vice versa, nice touch. Hope you enjoy it Gav. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, islander200 said:

All of Snowfall season 5 on BBC iPlayer now for those interested 

Best show out there for me currently 

Just what I needed to hear, thank you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, islander200 said:

Looking forward to House of Dragons starting in August and The lord of the rings coming in September 

I’ll give H of D a try, but I’m still fuming with the absolute shocker that was the Game of Thrones final season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

I’ll give H of D a try, but I’m still fuming with the absolute shocker that was the Game of Thrones final season 

Yeah they made a mess of that final season.

Supposedly got a Jon Snow series in the pipeline now set after the events of the final season of thrones 

15 hours ago, islander200 said:

Looking forward to House of Dragons starting in August and The lord of the rings coming in September 

Really no interest in the new game of thrones, i thought by the end they'd milked it for all it's worth in the original show, the new one looks like more of the same only duller and without all the great characters and actors from the first show and being a prequel set only a couple of hundred years earlier you kinda know how it all ends. 

The lord of the rings series looks fantastic though! Potentially even better than the original movie trilogy