BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next protest

Well said Glenn, me thinks:

an advert in the India Times;

An Internet campaign against the Venkys, and;

A visit to Pune should be on the cards.

All those would take time to have any sort of impact.

This is absolutely desperate, we're in the last chance saloon. A few more weeks and the climb to safety will be insurmountable. If a protest is to be successful then it needs to happen in the next game, so if it needs something like a mass pitch invasion to be successful, so be it.

I can't see the point in looking at the long term negative consequences, we'll be relegated by that point if things don't change.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If current protests are not working then why are other clubs, such as Stoke yesterday, being asked by Rovers to keep anti-Kean and anti-Venky banners etc out of their grounds? Why do Rovers have to send staff to away grounds to instruct the home stewards in their job?

What are Rovers afraid of? It surely can't be the minority that Kean cannot see or hear?

I will tell you why. Some other clubs would not want to be seen aiding and a betting protests of any form. It would be at a clubs discretion as to how they approach this. If they thought protests could result in public disorder, they would do all they can to stop it. Clubs get fined etc for failing to control crowds properly or safely. Basically it is just clubs protecting their own interests.

what are you doing? Because that also is not working.

Probable the same as what you are doing from the USA. There is not a lot, if anything I can do due to where I live and I have more important issues at hand at the moment.

This isnt unusual. At every away match I have been to in recent years there has always been a contingent of Rovers staff "assisting" the home stewarding team.

Im a bit surprised they have been able to influence other clubs over what clothing and banners are acceptable though.

It is common practice from all clubs. I noticed the same away at WIGAN, WBA, WHU and FULHAM last season.

I did wonder at the time if the stewards problem with the BRFCS flag at Norwich was genuinely a fire risk issue (as they claimed) rarther than some attempt to prevent protest banners (which it wasn't, but nobody asked). I'd have thought it was more of a fire risk wadded up in the bag than it was unfurled (they didn't want to take it off me, just make sure I didn't get it out).

Still, next time I'm asked to provide a fire certificate for it, I should be able to oblige :)

If you want it to be displayed at home games in the Darwen End, I can put it up for you. You are probably aware that a rail has been put up down the side of the stand for displaying flags.

Would never be achieveable. What do you do, stand outside ewood park stopping people going in?

You really are something else.

If you gave half the effort and verbiage that you expound on why things wont work to actually being somewhat proactive then we would probably have new owners and be top of the league.

Let's hear it then?

To be honest I have no idea. Fully understand and share the fustrations. All I know is that something has to be done 'legally' that the club cannot intervine and stop. What is another subject.

Can you not see that instructions have gone out by the club, to do all they can to fustrate the protestors.

The reality is this. The club if they really wanted to, can ban, banners, scarves (though in winter that is harder to do)T -shirts, even some chanting of certain things. Latter hard to do, but all they do is start evicting one or two, have them charged for possible incitement etc etc. Which would deter some.

Best idea I have heard on here is the FSF route - that may give a stronger voice.

As to those who suggested the invading of the pitch. Well you obviously were not around in the 70's when violence at football matches, was common place. I was. The last thing I want to see is those days back. Because that will be the outcome. Invading the ppitch in jubilation at the end of a season, promotion etc etc, is not liked, but is tolerated. But at any other time - is a complete no go.

Can you imagine invading the pitch when a local team are the opponent, such as Bolton. It would be seen as an invitation by the bolton supporters to do the same.

The implications and consequences of such action would be huge.

You really are something else.

If you gave half the effort and verbiage that you expound on why things wont work to actually being somewhat proactive then we would probably have new owners and be top of the league.

I don't know the answer - I wish I did. It is not possible for me to be more proactive for a number of reasons. The contacting and getting help from the FSF that was suggested on here may be the best option.

Personally I think the media route is really important. We need to get our voice heard to some top journo's. The indian media thing is also a good idea. Kean has a voice in the media - you can see people with no idea about Rovers spouting some of the rubbish Kean is saying as their opinion - like how well we are playing. I think we need to concentrate on key facts - like league 4 wins in 2011 - if you can get that stat into peoples heads they are less likely to feel sympathetic to Kean.

Here's one top journo on our side:

Henry Winter on twitter

Said it before & I'll say it again...#brfc fans deserve a better manager than Steve Kean. Losing 3-0 at Stoke. Shambles

quote name='jim mk2' timestamp='1322398386' post='1185823']

Stand corrected on that one. Memory going. Plymouth must have brought 5,000 plus fans - I remember the ground being a sea of green and white and blue and white. Good set of fans - no trouble at the game. Mariner was from Chorley - how did Rovers and the other Lancashire clubs miss him ?

He was smuggled out of the county on Zaphod Beeblebrox's shoulder. ^_^

Haven't seen this idea before so appologies if its already been suggested. It also may be a bit premature, but the time may come when it may our last chance. What about the online 'e-petition', 100,000 signatures and it gets discussed in parliament. It's a huge figure, and could take months, but, with other fans help, asking everyone you know etc. it may be possible. Perhaps thats how Jack Straw could get involved?

As to those who suggested the invading of the pitch. Well you obviously were not around in the 70's when violence at football matches, was common place. I was. The last thing I want to see is those days back. Because that will be the outcome. Invading the ppitch in jubilation at the end of a season, promotion etc etc, is not liked, but is tolerated. But at any other time - is a complete no go.

Can you imagine invading the pitch when a local team are the opponent, such as Bolton. It would be seen as an invitation by the bolton supporters to do the same.

The implications and consequences of such action would be huge.

There have been a number of peaceful sit-ins. It is not without precedent by any imagination.

However, I'm not sure Rovers fans would be united. Too many seem to support Kean, and the general management that is seeing us relegated.

Would they sit by idly?

It seems there are some who will fight for Kean, against those who are trying to fight for the club.

• Moderation Lead

It's going to kick off before long, when all this comes to a head, the fans have been taken for a ride, shame it's having to come to this but it was and still is avoidable.

Haven't seen this idea before so appologies if its already been suggested. It also may be a bit premature, but the time may come when it may our last chance. What about the online 'e-petition', 100,000 signatures and it gets discussed in parliament. It's a huge figure, and could take months, but, with other fans help, asking everyone you know etc. it may be possible. Perhaps thats how Jack Straw could get involved?

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/25880-next-protest/page__view__findpost__p__1183135

Seems an obvious move forward imo and we've plenty of BRFC supporting paliamentarians (alledgedly) to steer it forward should they deem the club important enough.

My suggestion seems to have fallen on stony ground though. Hope it's not cos somebody else didn't think about it themselves. <_<

There have been a number of peaceful sit-ins. It is not without precedent by any imagination.

However, I'm not sure Rovers fans would be united. Too many seem to support Kean, and the general management that is seeing us relegated.

Would they sit by idly?

It seems there are some who will fight for Kean, against those who are trying to fight for the club.

There are very few who actually support kean , problem is many see protesting as useless cos nobody is listening ..People want to go home at 5pm on Saturday nights especially in winter ...

I am boycotting now , entirely my decision cos I have had enough of kean and his henchmen ..I think some fans will try and get on the pitch , if they do more will join ..I do not want a banning order , so keeping away ..

The police in my opinion ,should warn kean and these little hitler stewards that could prevoke a riot on Saturday ..

Pitch Invasion? Are you nuts?

If you weren't an admin, I'd +1 this post. Illegal behavior is not the answer, though I think Preston Blue's advice on how to legally take the fight to the small minded men otherwise known as stewards seems to make a lot of sense.

Not related at all but what is the normal jail time for slapping the ###### out of someone live on TV?

Reb is, of course, an exception to every rule, including the one about obeying the law. Reb, if you get arrested send a PM. I'll pitch in for your bail as I have a 99.99% certainty that any crime your involved in was on behalf of the greater good. Excepting those involving farm animals, of course.

For doing it to a normal person I would imagine anywhere between community service and a year.

...In Keans case I'd imagine a knighthood and freedom of Blackburn would be in order!

I agree with this (though I'm not clear on what the freedom of Blackburn means).

Isn't Camilla supposed to be a Blackburn fan? Perhaps she can put in a bee in someone's bonnet about looking into the perceived madness going on at Ewood. After all, isn't it her husband's community trust which is on our shirts? Wouldn't that mean they'd take a passing interest in how the club is being run?

Protests or not I think the Ewood faithful will eventually go nuts spontaneously at some point. There won't be any organization it'll just be a big angry mob. Kean and co are really pushing the limits of the normal easy going Rovers fan at the moment, I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Sadly that won't help the club as I fear by that time we will be as good as relegated.

I think this is absolutely true. But as you English appear to file charges for ridiculous things at the drop of a hat, I think it important for the longevity of this site that it not appear to condone illegal behavior.

I will tell you why. Some other clubs would not want to be seen aiding and a betting protests of any form. It would be at a clubs discretion as to how they approach this. If they thought protests could result in public disorder, they would do all they can to stop it. Clubs get fined etc for failing to control crowds properly or safely. Basically it is just clubs protecting their own interests.

Why? I have a hard time seeing why another club would try to help Venkys save face.

Probable the same as what you are doing from the USA. There is not a lot, if anything I can do due to where I live and I have more important issues at hand at the moment.

The only thing I do in the USA is: 1) write the occasional email to the alleged powers that be when they engage in yet more buffoonery; and, 2) provide moral support to those who are actually doing something. Point number 2 seems to be the primary difference between you and I, in that I'm not attempting to undermine the morale of those who are actually fighting the good fight.

To be honest I have no idea.

If that is the case, perhaps you should re-consider your unrelenting criticism of those who are actually doing something?

This sounds like a great idea. I can get 6 or more signatures in this dusty town from supporters of other PL clubs who are shocked at what Venkys is doing to the Rovers.

Crazy isn't it...against all common sense and rationale,why in Gods name would any sane Rovers fan take that route? :blink:

Perhaps they are part of his extensive network of friendly fans, most likely drawn from the pubs he frequents?

I believe your equivalent is the key to the city Mr Moss.

Got it. Thanks. :) And as a middle aged American of republican ideals, please call me Steve.

This isnt unusual. At every away match I have been to in recent years there has always been a contingent of Rovers staff "assisting" the home stewarding team.

Im a bit surprised they have been able to influence other clubs over what clothing and banners are acceptable though.

I'm really surprised that happened. Why should Stoke care what shirts away fans wear, so long as they are not obscene?

Apparently Sky TV didn't like it, I find that really disturbing and sinister. This is a great English institution, letting off steam on a Saturday afternoon and protesting when things are wrong at your club.

Football is too sanitised these days as it is.

I'm really surprised that happened. Why should Stoke care what shirts away fans wear, so long as they are not obscene?

Apparently Sky TV didn't like it, I find that really disturbing and sinister. This is a great English institution, letting off steam on a Saturday afternoon and protesting when things are wrong at your club.

Football is too sanitised these days as it is.

Rovers fans are dangerous subversives, presumably?

Well known for our hooligan element, maybe?

I always thought we were known for being quite passive and lacking passion (I don't agree, BTW)

Sky not liking it is baffling. Surely a football related news story is perfect for them? Is someone playing the media, are they morons, or do they just want shut of us?

This may not seem like the most obvious of ways to protest, and this suggestion isn't intended to replace any of the more 'visible' forms of protest, but it is one angle that was used by Liverpool fans in their protests against their previous owners (and possibly helped to force the sale of the club). Target the lender - the bank that Venkys have mortgaged the club with. Find out who they are and boycott the bank and all its subsiduary/sister companies - so if you have any financial products with the same bank (or subsiduary) move them, but most importantly write to the Chief Executive to tell them why.

And while you're at it remember not to let the club have any of your money (except tickets) - so no food or drinks at the ground, no programme and no purchases in the club shop. It may seem a small thing but it will eventually have an impact to revenues. I'm trying whenever possible to encourage local organisations who normally would use Ewood as a conference venue to book elsewhere.

Just out of interest how much would it cost for people to go to Pune? With Venkys looking unlikely to visit these shores anytime soon, the natural progression maybe to go there. If we got the press on board then it would perhaps put a bit of added pressure on Venkys to have an audience with some supporters.

Of course supporters could go and not get to see them, but surely that would be a own goal for the owners?

Also who would be up for going?

Archived