BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] STOKE away

Stoke have had big and I mean BIG problems scoring goals this year, they and Wigan have scored the least at 10, Blackburn 16 http://www.soccerway.com/national/england/premier-league/2011-2012/regular-season/ I thought a few weeks ago, they might break out from that form but they still have not. So, even if Stoke wins, with decent defence, it should never be letting in more than 2 goals from what I can tell. Earlier in the season when they only had 4 goals, they were still up around 7th place. But now, clearly they are suffering from their lack of attack, I know they have Crouch but I'm not sure about how much more. Scoring doesn't seem to be their strong point.

I won't spend much time on the N40 as an afterthought but I know that the author of those books has become an anti-gang activist: http://www.mark-chester.co.uk/ It seems there was some trouble with Stoke fans in the past 2 years. There hated rival is Port Vale for the most part. I think that gang is largely something from the past, "old times." I'm kind of introverted, he'll write you back and we exchanged a few emails once. Even the worse of those books is more about "other experiences", things they did, I mean he was addicted and it was kind of harrowing. Decent fellow it seems, knows a lot about all kinds of things and even seems a bit spiritual nowadays. Like all of those kinds of books, I'm sure some of it is embellished.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we want to firm things up a little we could play Salgado (if fit) and move Lowe into the middle instead of Formica, moving to a more conventional 4-3-3. I think Hoilett/Rochina/Yakubu seemed to cope fine without having anyone 'in the hole' went Dunn went off. This is easily one of those games that could pass Formica by.

I was thinking along the same lines - a midfield of Lowe / Nzonzi / Pedersen would have a degree of balance - with a forward three of Rochina/Yak/Hoilett being a real threat. I think we all realise we have to score at least three goals - as there is no way we will keep a clean sheet.

Ped's tracks back and helps out, he's not as bad as some think. Although the rest of your post seems to offer answers it doesn't really as all your left with is playing MGP in front of the defence and you've slatted him there.

So what would you do?

Pedersen's alleged work rate is a bit of a myth these days - there's been plenty of times in the recent past where he's failed to track his man. He strolls around, but never really makes any blocks or puts his foot in. Next home game, spend some time watching him and not the ball and you'll see what I mean - it's something you can't do tomorrow on telly though these days, not since Sky got rid of 'playercam'! If we want to stay up, players like MGP, Dunny and Roberts have to be binned as they aren't good enough for the Prem anymore.

Anyway, given that we're playing Stoke, and it's likely to be a physical, aerial battle I'd go:

Robbo

Lowe Dann Hanley Givet

N'Zonzi Petrovic

Hoilett Formica Rochina

Yakubu

There's height at the back and in midfield, but finesse when we get it forward. Possibly start with Peds instead of Formica as he's a tad more defensive and if he can't be arsed tracking back at least there's two behind him! Honestly though, I think we're on a hiding to nothing tomorrow.

For the record, if everyone was fit, I'd put Salgado at RB, Lowe in CM and drop Petrovic, and Olsson on the left and drop Formica with Rochina playing off the Yak.

We really need two full backs though in January, as Givet just plain isn't a left back, and Salgado's legs are wobbling. If Samba does one as well, we're left needing 3 defenders in my book.

• Backroom

All this speculation about players and formations is totally wasted with that complete blockhead in the dug out in charge.

Agree... after his successful exploits at the end of the Wigan game, Robinson could well find himself at Centre Forward tomorrow :wacko:

allthough i dont dissagree, shouldnt you be a little more rational being a reporter.

I'll add reporter to my burgeoning CV of jobs I have done then!

No I am not a journalist of any sort - just a passionate Rovers supporter. That said, I put my passion to one side and looked at the situation objectively, cold-headedly and rationally in referring to Kean as a blockhead.

My team would be:- Robinson; Lowe, Hanley, Dann, Givet; Nzonzi, Pedersen; Rochina, Formica, Hoilett; Yakubu.

How can anyone have Rochina, Formica, and Hoilett, in the same team right now chaddy as they are so, so, weak.

I can't believe anyone would drop Pedersen after being IMO one of our best players in recent games, amazing how differently people see things

Pederson produces far more than Formica and Rochina thats for sure.

Anybody think Henley for right back ? He did ok when he came on against Wigan - not seen too much of him, but would hope he will start against Cardiff, if not against Stoke.

The kid can play left back as well.

As he did fair at Wigan, why not put him in there, replace Hanley in the centre with Givet and keep Lowe at right back?

I'd go for five at the back with three central midfielders for what it's worth, we did this against them at home and it didn't work which will probably mean Kean will try it again.

Robinson

Lowe, Hanley, Dann, Givet, Henley

Formica, Nzonzi, Pedersen

Yak, Holiett

The kid can play left back as well.

As he did fair at Wigan, why not put him in there, replace Hanley in the centre with Givet and keep Lowe at right back?

Adam Henley did well, was quick and stood his man up well, got goal side of his man all the time and never dived in, made his man play the ball, he went for just one tackle and won it cleanly, as I suggested last year, Adam Henley can play a bit and is well worth a shout!!

Good head on his shoulders and supported by a nice family!!

My team would be:- Robinson; Lowe, Hanley, Dann, Givet; Nzonzi, Pedersen; Rochina, Formica, Hoilett; Yakubu.

Thanks for that Chaddy. I was a bit down before I saw your team, now I'm suicidal. That team would be hard pressed to compete with any team in the top half of the chumpionship. Last time Rovers played 4-2-4 Ronnie Clayton and Bryan Douglas were the 2. Oh and we had Mike England and Keith Newton at the back with Mike Ferguson, Andy McEvoy, Fred Pickering and Mike Harrison up front ! What I wouldn't give to be taking a team like that to Stoke. It'd be exciting that's for sure. Even Kean couldn't balls that up.

im putting down 3-1 stoke but im actually feeling we may score first, so possibly the Yak as first goal scorer. but yes cant see us getting anything from this game. being away from home with a small away following and a loud home following may infact help the players who seem to really take the abuse we give kean to heart with the amount of times they have defended him. still 3-1 stoke.

Robinson

Lowe

Givet

Dann

Henley

Formica

Nzonzi

Pedersen

Rochina

Holiett

Yakubu

Archived