BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michel Salgado

arbitro

Someone mentioned about playing Salgado in a defensive midfield area, I to think this may be worth a go. He can tackle, he has stamina, he can read a game and see danger, He can pick out a pass. His main downside is that he isn't that quick. In the defensive midfield role speed is not the greatest concern.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone mentioned about playing Salgado in a defensive midfield area, I to think this may be worth a go. He can tackle, he has stamina, he can read a game and see danger, He can pick out a pass. His main downside is that he isn't that quick. In the defensive midfield role speed is not the greatest concern.

I've been thinking the same for the last few games.

Does anyone know if he has played there before? Can't do any worse than what we already have surely!

• 2 weeks later...

From The People article

Salgado claims told he “had to go” because of cutbacks, spreading panic among his team-mates about the sale of players.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/12/18/crisis-talks-will-take-place-at-blackburn-this-week-with-avram-grant-and-graeme-souness-in-line-to-replace-steve-kean-102039-23642466/

Cryer pretty much confirmed on twitter that Kean saying Salgado didnt play due to injury was a lie, and it was due to contract issues (I believe due a contract renewal after so many games).

Which, in this case, is fair enough. I mean, don't lie about it, but sadly Salgado simply isn't worth a contract renewal.

Mind you, neither was Roberts.

Which, in this case, is fair enough. I mean, don't lie about it, but sadly Salgado simply isn't worth a contract renewal.

Mind you, neither was Roberts.

If we could start on January the 1st with a clean sheet just how many players have we got that would be worth a new contract ? Being brutally honest I'd say slightly more than half a dozen, Robbo ( just about ), Samba, Dann, Hoilett, Ollsen, Lowe ( maybe, for the future ), Givet ( if he's not intending to retire ), Yakubu. The rest can go for me. No wonder they're panicking.

Guest Rovers4Good

I am sorry this is totally disreecpetful to a player who gives 100% every times he plays. OK he does not have the speed that is needed in some games. But he is senior player and can be a tremendous help to the youngster in the Rovers squad.

So you're saying rather than getting someone else in who could do twice as good on half his wage then you'd keep him because he'd be good for the youngsters in the squad?

Well what about Samba or Robbo 2 players who actually play well week in week out and also both very experienced players who you know are both earning their wage at the moment?

Cryer pretty much confirmed on twitter that Kean saying Salgado didnt play due to injury was a lie, and it was due to contract issues (I believe due a contract renewal after so many games).

And just goes to show what a stupid move it was not to get in another RB, especially with letting Bert MKII leave (which as the club insist had been on the cards for a while and believed by many :wstu: ) - all knowledge beforehand and still the loon at the helm wanted players in different positions.

Absolute joke from top to bottom that is turning the fans into one also.

And just goes to show what a stupid move it was not to get in another RB, especially with letting Bert MKII leave (which as the club insist had been on the cards for a while and believed by many :wstu: ) - all knowledge beforehand and still the loon at the helm wanted players in different positions.

Absolute joke from top to bottom that is turning the fans into one also.

For the last time, the system lets him down not ability.

No team should ever have to use a system that is designed to hide the flaws of a 36 year old full back.

I agree with trying to move Salgado on but I'm not happy about how it is happening. I can't imagine anyone is going to pay him anywhere near the amount we are, unless he can fluke a contract in UAE/Qatar/Russia/China maybe.

Salgado always comes across as a strong-minded and intelligent individual so like E-H Diouf it's quite likely he's paying the price for saying something out of turn to Kean. Sorry to see him go.

Couldn't agree more. If I was Salgado, I would simply see out my contract until the summer. No doubt Sky will continue to use him during the second half of the season.

Basically, what Venky's are saying is that we need to reduce the wage bill. Kean talks about getting in players who can hit the ground running in January. That means signing experienced players who are of Premier League standard. What do Venky's intend paying them with? Is there anything left to mortgage to raise funds?

Archived