BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba Set To Sign For Anzhi

Once Samba put in his transfer request (the ultimate sign of a player wanting to leave) and his interview with SSN it was obvious he was going to leave, it was just a matter of when.

Reflecting on the situation overall I don't think anyone comes out of this with any credit whatsoever.

I did sympathise with the player to some degree but at the end of the day if you rule yourself out of selection it's not a professional way of behaving.

Having such a rubbish manager didn't help our cause either in terms of trying to convince him to stay and his behaviour/stance during the whole drama was questionable in my view.

The most damning part of this for me is that the club look once again like a complete bunch of amateurs. Selling a player now when there is no transfer window open to bring in a replacement or strengthen in key areas is stupid. Rovers are now going into what will be one hell of a relegation battle with only 3 recognised CB's.

The situation really is a disgrace in all aspects and fans should be angry about it.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many on here used to trot out Jack's quote of us needing to wash our faces financially. Now that someones is actually implemented the means to achieve that, albeit for the wrong reasons, everyone is outraged.

I always thought JW's linking of league place to wage bill was misleading: there was correlation but not causality. They are correlated not least because of all the win/place bonuses paid. There is no causation because the disastrous decision to increase our wage bill in one year by 20% 3 years ago a) coincided with us declining on the field and B) used up all the headroom given us by the big increase in tv monies. Our wage bill is 20-30% higher than West Brom's I believe before the recent cull. It had to end sometime.

Feel I have to challenge this.

Jack said the club should be able to sustain itself on its own income, now the year is 2012 and things have moved on ... how many clubs are living off of their own income? Not many.

No-one's "implemented" anything, all I see is gross mismanagement, incompetence in high positions and selling the family silver to keep the business going. Under the Trust we'd sell one star player every so often to keep ticking over. But the club was run in a sustainable manner, no-one was screaming for their money, everyone got paid on time.

Fast forward to now, are we run in a more fiscally discliplined manner? Of course we aren't. Selling our best players so we can financially survive the impending relegation caused by selling our best players isn't much of a strategy.

I did sympathise with the player to some degree but at the end of the day if you rule yourself out of selection it's not a professional way of behaving.

Why should he behave professionally towards completely unprofessional people? He was always a true professional under the former ownership, tentatively stating a desire to leave for a bigger club, but then playing and behaving impeccably throughout.

I would suggest that this was Sambas last resort. He had no-one of any stature to talk to e.g. chariman. Only Coco, and why on earth would he want to talk to him? This was a case of make a fuss, dig your heels in and get out of this.

I will never blame him for that. This club is a disgrace

Why should he behave professionally towards completely unprofessional people? He was always a true professional under the former ownership, tentatively stating a desire to leave for a bigger club, but then playing and behaving impeccably throughout.

Because he's paid £60,000 a week to play football?

Most people in the real world can't afford to strike whilst still receiving a king's ransom in wages. If Samba had any perspective, he would've kept his head down and made himself available whilst leaving his agent to do what they do best.

Because he's paid £60,000 a week to play football?

Most people in the real world can't afford to strike whilst still receiving a king's ransom in wages. If Samba had any perspective, he would've kept his head down and made himself available whilst leaving his agent to do what they do best.

He'd used that tactic for three bloody years!!!!

As I said above, these people don't live in the real world Topman. Just because you think 60,000 a week is a lot of money it doesn't mean he does, particularly when he can move to another club and get double/triple that amount.

If you were treated with no respect, lied to about plans for the future, told you were not allowed to leave what would you do. Too many people think Samba should pussyfoot around because he gets paid 60,000 a week. (Please don't use that word again) that, he has been shown no respect whatsoever by these prats that are running our football club into the ground!

As I keep saying... this is just a job to Samba. And when he signed that contract he signed it with the intention of playing in a progressing Blackburn Rovers side. Not one that has sold or cut adrift any senior professionals, refused to provide adequate finances to replace said outgoings, and is fast plummeting towards the championship!

We are a complete and utter shambles and I don't blame Samba for forcing a move away!

Don't get me wrong I am torn on the issue. I understand why Samba made his stance and could sympathise with him to an extent (a large part of me would find it difficult playing for a manager I couldn't respect). But at the end of the day the club pay his wages and if he is fit/manager selects him then he should play.

I would suggest that this was Sambas last resort. He had no-one of any stature to talk to e.g. chariman. Only Coco, and why on earth would he want to talk to him? This was a case of make a fuss, dig your heels in and get out of this.

I can't argue with that, I can see why Samba did what he did.

I will never blame him for that. This club is a disgrace

Like I said I don't think anyone comes out of this well or in a positive light.

Selling our best players so we can financially survive the impending relegation caused by selling our best players isn't much of a strategy.

It's a cycle that's going to repeat year on year as the TV monies decrease whilst sliding down the leagues.

As I said above, these people don't live in the real world Topman. Just because you think 60,000 a week is a lot of money it doesn't mean he does, particularly when he can move to another club and get double/triple that amount.

Then why should he have my sympathy?

If you were treated with no respect, lied to about plans for the future, told you were not allowed to leave what would you do. Too many people think Samba should pussyfoot around because he gets paid 60,000 a week. (Please don't use that word again) that, he has been shown no respect whatsoever by these prats that are running our football club into the ground!

And what about the fans here? You know, the people who pay his wages? Doesn't he owe it to them to honour his contract and do the job he's paid to do?

Also, if Venky's are indeed asset stripping, then why exactly would Samba need to force their hand? If they wanted to cash in on him, and he obviously wants to go, why would he necessarily need to dig his heels in and refuse to play? I'm sure his agent would make the buying club well aware of his intention to leave without him having to go on strike. It's not like Venky's are resigned to selling him because he doesn't want to play. By all accounts they need him out to cover their debts.

As I keep saying... this is just a job to Samba. And when he signed that contract he signed it with the intention of playing in a progressing Blackburn Rovers side. Not one that has sold or cut adrift any senior professionals, refused to provide adequate finances to replace said outgoings, and is fast plummeting towards the championship!

Let's not be naive here. Samba signed that contract for more money. He was already on a long-term deal, if I remember rightly. So it wasn't as if he was pledging his future to Rovers.

We are a complete and utter shambles and I don't blame Samba for forcing a move away!

I don't blame him for wanting to leave, but I don't for a second think he comes out of this with any integrity.

Many on here used to trot out Jack's quote of us needing to wash our faces financially. Now that someones is actually implemented the means to achieve that, albeit for the wrong reasons, everyone is outraged.

I'm not outraged that we're cutting expenses. I'm outraged that we're cutting expenses while being managed by weasels. Running the Rovers on a shoestring makes financial sense. But to remain a top football club there must be an eye for talent coupled with real leadership. Kean/Venkys are sadly lacking in one or both categories.

And what about the fans here? You know, the people who pay his wages? Doesn't he owe it to them to honour his contract and do the job he's paid to do?

I guess that's why Hoilett is running down honouring his contract. Out of respect for fans.

Players really can't win with this argument.

Rovers will do much better out of Samba leaving for £12m (£11.5m profit?) than they will when Junior throws his boots into the crowd at Chelsea. Hopefully he'll remember to throw them into the away enclosure.

I'm not outraged that we're cutting expenses. I'm outraged that we're cutting expenses while being managed by weasels. Running the Rovers on a shoestring makes financial sense. But to remain a top football club there must be an eye for talent coupled with real leadership. Kean/Venkys are sadly lacking in one or both categories.

Hey Steve.

I'm sorry selling the club's best players, along with sacking all competent members of staff at all levels is not the way to run a football club.

This 'prudent' downsizing in all departments in preperation for a future of lower league football is sickening, largely due to the fact that 18 months ago we had top people in place who could run a club on a shoestring anyway.

We've sold ALL our best players, Garner apart, since I started watching the club in the 60s. England, Pickering, Byrom, Newton, Knighton, Hunter, Field, Jones, Hird, Bailey, Arnold thru to Shearer, Sutton thru to Bentley, Rocque and now Samba. So I suppose I am used to it. Personally I never got over Keith Newton leaving and swapping Rogers for Endean.

Totally agree with you, but it is preferable to spending money we don't have like drunken sailors while being run by weasels, since we don't appear to have any choice over the weasels atm

What an absolute farce!

Selling a player now when OUR transfer window is closed?,the club being in the middle of a relegation battle and needing all the help we can get?....WTF!

If this be the case where is the money going too,the pockets of the Rao's?

or....

Have Barclay's bank come a calling once more <_<

Just wanted to say that I personally really liked this post and agreed with it 100% - just would replace 'on a shoestring' with the word 'sensibly' :)

I know we have, it's just how it is for most clubs.

However, the decline of the last 15 months was avoidable and is nothing to do with Venky's 'cutting their cloth accordingly'.

I agree, but I am glad at least some cloth-cutting is happening before we plunge into the abyss. Blackpool made 30 million from their one year in the prem; we lost 10 was it and finished a massive 4 points above them.

Personally I think we are being prepared for a sale in the summer

However, the decline of the last 15 months was avoidable and is nothing to do with Venky's 'cutting their cloth accordingly'.

What an absolute farce!

Selling a player now when OUR transfer window is closed?,the club being in the middle of a relegation battle and needing all the help we can get?....WTF!

If this be the case where is the money going too,the pockets of the Rao's?

or....

Have Barclay's bank come a calling once more <_<

Matty, this is so true - that is what hurts, that this situation was so avoidable in the first place.

SG's 194, The timing of a sale could not have been worse! I think we all knew it was coming, but had hoped that it would wait until summer. With the story about Dundee not receiving the scheduled Goodwillie transfer payment, and continued persistent rumors about Barclays calling for their money, none of this fee would have gone to strengthening the squad in any case. Now the Club just have to hope they can get the whole fee up front in cash before they get sanctioned in some way. Again back to the point Matty made above...

Didnt see this coming.

If we had normal owners this sale would be a good thing - considering the money - but the rumours are that all the money will go to the bank. So what do we end up with?

Ignorant careless owners who now doesnt owe anyone any money - and their PR-toy Blackburn Rovers is still alive.

I will always remember Samba as a great player for us, but it really is a pity how it all ended :(

But we still have Myles and Bruno who between them will earn several thousand pounds per week. And still the horrible little excuse we have for a manager hasn't been questioned about these two (amongst a plethora of other issues he should have been grilled about).

Totally agree with you, but it is preferable to spending money we don't have like drunken sailors while being run by weasels, since we don't appear to have any choice over the weasels atm

As a club, we either need owners who will financially support the club or to cut costs. When Venkys took over, we were promised owners who will invest. We were lied to.

That leaves cost-cutting. Fair enough. If Venkys are determined to cut costs, we need exceptionally talented management. We had that in John Williams, Tom Finn and Sam Allardyce. Venkys promised to keep them in place. We were lied to.

Instead we have a neutered board, a deputy CEO but no CEO, and Steve Kean a jumped up coach who lives a very rich fantasy life. All this put in place by owners who allegedly loved the club, who promised marquee signings, top ten finishes and a cup. We were lied to.

So we have cost cutting under the [alleged] leadership of Coco the Clown. I have a hard time seeing how we survive relegation this season. I'm certain under the current "business plan" that we're going down even if we [narrowly] avoid relegation this season.

So I am outraged. I despise Venkys and feeling nothing but contempt for Kean.

I agree, but I am glad at least some cloth-cutting is happening

Cloth cutting, or frantically trying to recover from some disastrous football and financial decisions that are entirely down to the Raos? Get ready for some more cloth cutting next season when the remaining squad is shown up for what it is.

I've had enough of these idiots Exiled, and I'm not prepared to start making excusus for them. Between the three of them, they've totally and needlessly decimated, probably beyond repair, a superbly well run football club.

T***ers, the lot of 'em. I can't find words to describe how I loathe them.

Let's get one thing straight.

When Venky's took over, Rovers were financially stable and virtually breaking even.

IMO, it's Venky's gross mismangement that has seen revenue dip ( league placing, season tickets, shirt sponsor, commercial etc) and costs soar (unnecessary pay-offs, agents' fees, ill-conceived new contracts for Nelsen, Salgado, Roberts, Samba etc in order to prop-up Kean last Jan.).

Falling revenue, soaring costs - a recipe for disaster which we could see coming with a £19m loss for 2010/11.

IMO, it is all of Venky's making and now we are seeing panic measures merely to stay afloat.

Absolutely shambolic.

Guest Rovers4Good

V true and do they care? NO. :(

Where are they when it matters?

They are a total waste of breathe at the moment and i really do hope that they stick to what they're good at which is breeding chickens and defo not running a football club.

Archived