BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Murphy

Murphy is a top singing for rovers, if you have someone to do his running. Great passer and will control games given time and space.

How much is he on a week? (sorry not read rest of thread)

Moan Moan Moan, Danny this Danny that, not fit, no legs, too old blah blah blah If you are all that p----d off with Blackburn Rovers then stop communication on this forum, I always thought that the forum was a place to talk about the comings, goings, transfers of players et al, it should be a forum to encourage and support Blackburn Rovers and not slag them off, we have what we have and until someone somewhere spills the beans, if there are any to spill we have to get on with it.. listen I really really dislike Kean as much as the next man and know he is not anywhere near good enough, but the next month with the comings and goings will shape the future of the club, maybe just maybe the venkys are going to go for it this season, I can see Shebby cutting Kean loose should we not be top or near the top come end September. I was one who said I would not renew my ticket, well with all the negatives I see on not just this board I am not being led like a sheep, Blackburn Rovers is and always will be my team why should I dessert them just because I don't like the regime, as many have said before Blackburn will still be here when the venky's /Kean have gone, I on the other hand will not. Rant over I thank you.

Well said mate, get ready for the yellow and black brigade having a go at you about this post.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although he played in all bar 3 games last season, a good % of them he didnt complete 90 minutes, regularly being replaced around the 60 minute mark (from fulhamweb).

So Hughsey, fitness still not an issue? I'd say it was in a longer season, and arguably a more physically demanding league. If he's managing 60 mins now, how's he going to be in 18 months?

His ability isn't in question, but I'd certainly be wary on his fitness.

Also, if NZonzi leaves, who's going to do the midfield running? Lowe who's totally unproven in CM, Pederson, Dunn? Frankly it's very lightweight.

Fitness isnt as much an issue for players who just pull the strings like Tugay did....they just mull around the middle of the pitch and pick the passes.

He played 80 mins + in 23 of his 33 league games, which included playing the first 6 games of the season all for the full 90 mins....making 2159 passes at an accuracy of 83.1%, making him the 6th top passer in the league....making a total of 76 Key passes

Blackburn Rovers ALL season, between the ENTIRE squad made 8516 passes, with a success rate of just 44%.

Midfield running - hopefully Danny Guthrie, a young, energentic midfielder.

Murphy is a top singing for rovers, if you have someone to do his running. Great passer and will control games given time and space.

How much is he on a week? (sorry not read rest of thread)

Everyone has to be able to run otherwise you handicap us right from the off.

Yakubu hardly runs!

Why was that Hughesy because we never had enough of the ball further up field perhaps which is slightly different to being anchored in the centre of midfield expecting to go box to box.

Why was that Hughesy because we never had enough of the ball further up field perhaps which is slightly different to being anchored in the centre of midfield expecting to go box to box.

Ok JAL :closedeyes: Lets just forget that you should defend from the front and strikers should get back and help then eh!

I think that Danny Murphy could well be Steve Kean's successor....if the results go wrong in the beginning I can see Shebby making Murphy player-manager. Watch this space.

Steady on, Murphy needs time to learn from the master.

Ok JAL :closedeyes: Lets just forget that you should defend from the front and strikers should get back and help then eh!

As well as Yakubu being told not to make any runs unless near the penalty box and never into the channels. And then when a striker replaced him they would do that but our midfielders would never play them in.

Fitness isnt as much an issue for players who just pull the strings like Tugay did....they just mull around the middle of the pitch and pick the passes.

He played 80 mins + in 23 of his 33 league games, which included playing the first 6 games of the season all for the full 90 mins....making 2159 passes at an accuracy of 83.1%, making him the 6th top passer in the league....making a total of 76 Key passes

Blackburn Rovers ALL season, between the ENTIRE squad made 8516 passes, with a success rate of just 44%.

Midfield running - hopefully Danny Guthrie, a young, energentic midfielder.

Fitness is a major issue Hughsey. I'm not questioning his ability as a footballer, just his ability to do the necessary running required for the next 2 years. Our squad under Hughes was so much fitter than the squad last season. I just don't think he'll manage 80+ minutes for us in a 46 match season. We already have Dunny who can't do 90, so that's 2 of your subs used to start with (or 1 if one replaces the other, I suppose).

I hope I'm wrong in many ways, but I don't think you can say fitness isn't an issue at 35.

maybe on our arse but still, we are supporters are we not,

That's true, but if you supported a boxer and every match his trainer tied his arms behind his back, at which point would you be unable to stomach watching him being beaten black and blue every week?

Anyway that wasn't my point. You like many seem to be under the illusion that Rovers will be here no matter what. Look at what's happened to Rangers I worry that we may not have a club to come back to once they've finished with it so Venky's for me have a lot more to do than signing Danny Murphy. They could sign Messi and I'd still not believe the club's safe with noddy in charge.

Moan Moan Moan, Danny this Danny that, not fit, no legs, too old blah blah blah If you are all that p----d off with Blackburn Rovers then stop communication on this forum, I always thought that the forum was a place to talk about the comings, goings, transfers of players et al, it should be a forum to encourage and support Blackburn Rovers and not slag them off, we have what we have and until someone somewhere spills the beans, if there are any to spill we have to get on with it.. listen I really really dislike Kean as much as the next man and know he is not anywhere near good enough, but the next month with the comings and goings will shape the future of the club, maybe just maybe the venkys are going to go for it this season, I can see Shebby cutting Kean loose should we not be top or near the top come end September. I was one who said I would not renew my ticket, well with all the negatives I see on not just this board I am not being led like a sheep, Blackburn Rovers is and always will be my team why should I dessert them just because I don't like the regime, as many have said before Blackburn will still be here when the venky's /Kean have gone, I on the other hand will not. Rant over I thank you.

"Maybe just maybe Venkys are going to go for it this season".

That one sentence explains why you're getting annoyed about this thread. Despite nearly 2 years of being told ridiculous lies and seeing with your own eyes Venkys totally dismantle every aspect of this club, somehow you think they're suddenly gonna change. Venkys are already arguably the worst owners of any club in the 150 year history of english football, but you think they might now "go for it"? Seriously?

The reason I personally have little enthusiasm about this signing is that Venkean somehow managed to sign one of our most prolific strikers of the last 2 decades last season, did that help us? Nope, against a chronic manager and invisible club leadership, it was like urinating into the wind. They also flogged Kalinic, Emerton, Roberts, Nelsen and Andrews. Think maybe they could have helped us a bit at this level? But nah its fine, lets get our party hats on, we've signed the shortly retiring Danny Murphy.

Fitness is a major issue Hughsey. I'm not questioning his ability as a footballer, just his ability to do the necessary running required for the next 2 years. Our squad under Hughes was so much fitter than the squad last season. I just don't think he'll manage 80+ minutes for us in a 46 match season. We already have Dunny who can't do 90, so that's 2 of your subs used to start with (or 1 if one replaces the other, I suppose).

I hope I'm wrong in many ways, but I don't think you can say fitness isn't an issue at 35.

Perhaps Dunn/ Murphy will rotate? Not sure what the plan is......only the transfer window will give us a few more ideas about that,

I agree I dont expect him to play 46 games at 80+ mins, but if he can manage 35+ games then he will be a very big player for us.

Calm down fella's, it's just one free transfer. Time will tell whether it's a good transfer or not.

It will be interesting to see our in's and out's come the beginning of the season.

Agreed. Think Murphy will be a good signing at championship level - a bit like Gordan Cowans was. Hopefully bring some leadership to the side. Not sure about Leon Best, haven't seen enough of him. Again, not sure if Gosling is the answer to that role.

We desperately need to do any business before the season starts this year...and that all depends on whether Venkys invest which on past evidence won't happen.

The thought of Pedersen, Murphy and Dunn being in the same side is scary!

As an aside - you could build a hell of a side with free transfers this summer...the likes of Flamini and kalou will make cracking signings for someone (not us obviously!)

Agreed. Think Murphy will be a good signing at championship level - a bit like Gordan Cowans was. Hopefully bring some leadership to the side. Not sure about Leon Best, haven't seen enough of him. Again, not sure if Gosling is the answer to that role.

We desperately need to do any business before the season starts this year...and that all depends on whether Venkys invest which on past evidence won't happen.

As an aside - you could build a hell of a side with free transfers this summer...the likes of Flamini and kalou will make cracking signings for someone (not us obviously!)

Gordon Cowans was indeed a similar player and a similar signing, but he had a FAR better team of players around him than the current crock of shi**te!

I can't ever see that happening. I presume Pedersen is off but I don't think they would all play at the same time anyway. If we sign a target man then I think maybe Dunn would play off them in his favoured role with Murphy and Petrovic/Lowe/Whoever beside him. Whether that would work under Kean is another matter.

Bunn in goal with a back 4 of Henley, Hanley, Givet and Morris or something........keep a few of Formica, Vukcevic, Rochina, Petrovic and Goodwillie and under Kean we might have a chance of staying up.

And then in the extremely unlikely event of Kean and/or Venky's leaving now or before January and we can maybe think about promotion. Despite all the utter bullshit I'm starting to look forward to the season just a little bit.

What do people recommend as the best way to follow the games? Radio Rovers? Radio Lancashire? Anything else? Do any foreign or British fans know of any websites that can stream Championship games? I might go to a few away games down South but can't bring myself to go to Ewood in front of a few thousand.

I'm happy with Murphy as a signing - I'm not happy with Kean staying as manager because his tactical ineptitude will stifle any impact Murphy could have on the team. Hardly being overly negative or doom-mongering, it's just a fact.

Agreed. I think Murphy is actually a decent signing. He appears fit, has bags of talent and could be a great addition to the team. He'll need youth, speed and talent to pass to, however, so we'll need some players which will help offset Murphy's limitations.

Kean being sacked would be a great step forward in not only improving the prospects that we play to our players' strengths, but also that the fans get back onboard. I mention this (again) only in the faint prospects the owners actually read the occassonal post from this site (which I doubt as the way forward has been spelt out on many prior occassions).

Question still has to be asked (and Fulham fans are just as flummoxed) as to why Murphy would want to come to Rovers. The closed football world is well aware of the continuing Venky's/Kean-led shambles at Ewood and any decent players are giving the club a wide berth.

As in most things, money. We offered more than other contenders.

I think that Danny Murphy could well be Steve Kean's successor....if the results go wrong in the beginning I can see Shebby making Murphy player-manager. Watch this space.

I would gladly take Murphy over Kean. But then I'd take just about anyone over Kean.

I think it is unfair to Murphy is coming just for the money. It seems from his wife's twitter that he knows his playing career is coming to an end and he wants to play as much as possible. I think Jol has told him he wouldn't play as much and also at QPR he wouldn't play as much. Regarding him not playing full games again, according to his wife, he was unhappy about being subbed so often so I think he is coming to Rovers to play and be an important player, something he probably wouldn't have been if he had stayed in the premier league.

Also, according to Kelbo and others, he is highly regarded in the game as being 100% committed so I am not worried about him on that score.

As has been mentioned Cowans, Tugay and Berkovic all did excellently in similar roles to what DM is expected to play, so I think he is a good signing, we will see how true that is when he plays.

To be unsatisfied with the signing of Murphy is absurd in my opinion. The guy has always been a true proffesional and more than likely he fancies one more challenge before he hangs his boots, cause lets face it at Fulham the challenge would be to finish mid-table and nothing more, also maybe he realised he wouldnt be playing as much next season with the likes of Dembele, Diarra, Etuhu and Sidwell also competing for roles in the middle of the field at Fulham.

I'd hazard a guess that he will play around 30+ games for us, score maybe 8-10 goals, give us a good set piece taker (Pedersen far to inconsistent), some steele in midfield and most importantly vast experience and when combining all that with his other qualities, it all adds up to a really good signing for us.

• Backroom

FWIW all indications are that Murphy is a vocal dressing room leader. We badly need one of those in the wake of Samba and Nelsen departing, regardless if Kean stays or goes. Too many wimps last season who had no fight and no guts, Robbo can only yell so far from his goal. I think under a better manager Murphy could be a unifying force in the dressing room and a real motivator.

God I hope this is not the beginnings of a Kean spending spree that will be enough to almost buy his way into another half/full season

Always liked Murphy as a player, but 2yr 50k wage for a 35yr old is risky but is a statement of intent that may just attract a couple of players.

Annoyingly this does mean that there is now no chance of Kean going and Venkys will be here for the forseable future unless something else changes.

Archived