BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Murphy

Danny Murphy would be without question the stand out midfielder in the Championship providing he has a manager who can set up the team correctly and organise them, I am told from people inside the game that Danny doesnt suffer fools and indeed has quite a bit of input in the dressing rooms, thats as it should be, I really dont think this is a Kean signing, somethings changed at Ewood and a little common sense is coming into play, the next step is to get a manager or indeed a player manager ;)

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it looks like Murphy has signed.

It's well worth reading through this thread as it says more about fan opinions and how a view of the owners and manager impact even on a player.

At the start it's full of posters saying Murphy is a great player but it's the usual spin and lies from Venkys and that he's going to QPR.

Then as the signing became more certain they then change to ones commenting about his age, that he's just a mercenary etc.

Interesting.

The reality is that all players are mercenaries, it's their job and future. Murphy is at the backend of his career but has bags of quality and experience. Can he be another golden oldie like Gordon Cowans? Time will tell but if he stays fit his ability should be a real plus in the Championship, particularly as pace was never part of his game.

So I am looking forward to seeing a genuine playmaker back in the team even if he's no Tugay. I'm also pleased that we can talk about a signing. Add Leon Best and we are strengthening the squad. Now we need to keep some of the others like Givet.

I think this is a good signing. Though many saying 'who is leaving'. The sad reality is that often when a club is relegated many of the players leave because they want to play in the prem - paid more also. So for that reason it would not surprise me if players leave. It is only a few players in this game that have any loyalty to their clubs. It is not often these days that there is a 'good news' story about rovers. But this signing is good news - for a change.

I have to say Im impressed with this signing. Similar player to Tugay. Especially impressed that it was one of the first, if not the first solid transfer rumour of the season. Pretty good when considering all the names mentioned for a whole summer last season, and getting business sorted ASAP.

Welcome aboard Daniel Ben Murphy

I think this is a good signing. Though many saying 'who is leaving'. The sad reality is that often when a club is relegated many of the players leave because they want to play in the prem - paid more also. So for that reason it would not surprise me if players leave. It is only a few players in this game that have any loyalty to their clubs. It is not often these days that there is a 'good news' story about rovers. But this signing is good news - for a change.

I agree , it is a good signing , also not many of our current squad are good enough for the Prem , so who will leave will be interesting ..Suspect most will go abroad to leagues below the championship ...

You can't blame fans for being sceptical as we have been fed so much rubbish before. I don't care if he's 35 if he is still fit. Nor do i care if he's coming for the money - that's what we all work for and if we're paying better than elsewhere then you can understand his looking at us and thinking it might be ok (although you do have to wonder what amount of cash makes it worth joining Venkys circus). I just find it hard to get excited about this before we see who goes out. It could be most of the current first team squad in which case it's a non-event. Murphy in, Givet, Olsson, Hoillet,Yakubu, N'zonzi, Hanley, formica, rochina,Dann and possibly a couple of others out and not many others in and it doesn't look that good.

My thoughts exactly. Fool me once (January 2011) shame on me, fool me twice (Summer 2011) or 3 times (January 2012) shame on me. If anyone expects us to end this window with a promotion challenging squad then it looks like Venkys can con some fans until the day they leave. We've signed a 35 year old midfielder from a mid-table PL club, I'm not downplaying his ability, but couldn't Keith Andrews have been similarly effective at this level? 9 goals in 20 games for Ipswich last season suggests easily.

for anybody interested this is danny murphys wifes twitter- Joanna Murphy @joannataylormum, she has been replying to a lot of fans comments and questions and seems like a genuinely nice honest lady and mum so sending her abuse would be a especially disgusting thing to do(abby), Kean seems to have been really buttering her and danny up and feeding them his usual deluded BS.

My thoughts exactly. Fool me once (January 2011) shame on me, fool me twice (Summer 2011) or 3 times (January 2012) shame on me. If anyone expects us to end this window with a promotion challenging squad then it looks like Venkys can con some fans until the day they leave. We've signed a 35 year old midfielder from a mid-table PL club, I'm not downplaying his ability, but couldn't Keith Andrews have been similarly effective at this level? 9 goals in 20 games for Ipswich last season suggests easily.

Completely different types of player. Murphy is creative and a good passer of a ball. Andrews may have a decent goal scoring record at Championship level, but creativity and passing ability are not his strong points. As a midfield combination possibly, but I think Andrews had lost the fans, and therefore it was better for him to move on.

for anybody interested this is danny murphys wifes twitter- Joanna Murphy @joannataylormum, she has been replying to a lot of fans comments and questions and seems like a genuinely nice honest lady and mum so sending her abuse would be a especially disgusting thing to do(abby), Kean seems to have been really buttering her and danny up and feeding them his usual deluded BS.

Same Joanna Taylor who used to be on Hollyoaks many moons ago?

• Backroom

Agreed, she seems like a decent sort. I had a few pops at Kean but rather than disagree she just emphasised that Murphy is a leader and would take a strong stance in the dressing room. Which can only be a good thing, I suppose.

For those asking, the signing of Danny Murphy and targeting of Leon Best & Dan Gosling are all being done by Steve Kean.

Not surprised about Best, he was at Coventry when Kean was the coach manager there.

From reading this thread it looks like people still fail to grasp the basic concept that players do decline as they get older.

For those asking, the signing of Danny Murphy and targeting of Leon Best & Dan Gosling are all being done by Steve Kean.

Is this unlike last season when Kean didn't have a say in many transfers being done??? Who is negotiating the transfers for the club? is it Shebby Singh or Ian Silvester doing this role now???

Wonder what odds that murphy will take the armband next season?

I expect this to happen for sure

From reading this thread it looks like people still fail to grasp the basic concept that players do decline as they get older.

It's been pointed out before but Murphy sits in the middle of the park and dictates the play. If protected sufficiently enough (I know) then his age won't be the biggest issue. There are exceptions to every rule, ie players like Tugay, Scholes and Giggs. He's not as good as those players but I rate Murphy very highly indeed. It would have been an excellent signing imo if we were a mid table Premier League club again. He has had injury problems in the past I think but none too major and most players have at some point. The article a few pages back highlights how he played lots of games for Fulham in their Europa League final season so I'm sure his fitness is adequate. Over the season, it might start to diminish but the Championship is played at a lower pace to the Prem. I only know one Fulham fan but he was very annoyed that they weren't keeping him when I spoke to him last night. He says that he is more important to their team than Dempsey or Dembele.

Murphy should be an excellent signing. People worrying about fitness etc. need to relax. He isn't going to be a box to box player, he is going to sit in, keep possesion and just spray the ball around a bit. Players in that position tend to play on into their twighlight years. It doesn't matter if he doesn't play every game, very few do - one thing is for sure, he'll play more than Grella has done. So long as he gives his all, takes a good penalty etc. I'll be happy with him.

Suppose thats a point. With quite a few terrible penalties last season (everton comes to mind) at least weve got one of the best in the business now. Im remaining positive about this signing although it does little to appease the fact we were relegated due to mismanagement and therefore venkeys will never be forgiven

Archived