BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

Kean left for the chance of earning more money out of the situation. Shebby will deserve credit when he actually makes a good decisive decision for once... IMO.

AT LAST!!!!

A Rovers fan who talks sense. That was a much welcome post after endless "Shearer is a worse manager than Kean"... After only 8 games in charge.

Any Rovers fan who supports Alan Shearers appointment is talking nonsense.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any Rovers fan who doesn't support whoever Rovers appoint is a buffoon. Shearer wouldn't be the best appointment in my eyes, far from it, but to not support him 100% would be detrimental to the team. Seeing a more experienced gaffer would be desirable but let's not detract from supporting the team if the appointment isn't as hoped.

Saying this I would be VERY annoyed if Black was appointed.

So you actually read what I wrote? It doesn't appear so or does it matter what anybody else thinks if it is not in line with your views? A structured reply to the reasons I gave for supporting it would be nice rather than just a throw away comment. I did say I could see both sides of the argument and stated why I believed it COULD be a success. Nothing is guaranteed.

I am bemused by this fixation with Schuster, admittedly this is taken from Wiki, what it does show that he changes jobs with alarming regularity and his win % massively scewed by Shaktar at a time that they were VERY strong, Real who were strong and Besiktas who are one of the stronger teams in Turkish Leagues.

I am not saying that he would be a bad appointment, but he is not the messiah that people make him out to be.

You can view his record at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_Schuster#Statistics

Sounds very similar to that guy we appointed before by the name of Ince.

Don't remember Ince ever beating the likes of stuttgart in his time at MK Dons? Ferguson was gutted when OGS left he wanted to groom him at United, long term. Ince was pushed out the door asap and never invited back.

Seems like you have already made up your mind.

Shearer would need say a Clarke type next to him, trouble is he'd bring his mates as they always do. Dowie, no thanks, Newell no thanks, I highly doubt he'd be willing to bring in others. And you have to ask how the son of Newcastle couldn't even inspire their safety. I'd be on board but only, only if his back-room tean had a decent ex manager in place to guide him.

I am bemused by this fixation with Schuster, admittedly this is taken from Wiki, what it does show that he changes jobs with alarming regularity and his win % massively scewed by Shaktar at a time that they were VERY strong, Real who were strong and Besiktas who are one of the stronger teams in Turkish Leagues.

I am not saying that he would be a bad appointment, but he is not the messiah that people make him out to be.

http://en.wikipedia....ster#Statistics

Bernd Schuster could pick a fight with himself in solitary confinement. The only German worth a gander is Klinsmann and I doubt he could be tempted but Bayern are really reaping the benefits of his transformation whilst there and the USA are doing very very well.

Other than that bring in Ole Gunnar Solskjear, our current league will allow him time to get things right, for himself and the club as mistakes are nowhere near as badly punished as in the premier league. Don't forget he could pretty much transplant United to us and that wouldn't be a bad thing, in some aspects.

im bemused by your entire post.

the point of view you are presenting, is at best semi-stupid. Are you seriously trying to make it a bad thing, that he managed big clubs.? How about mourinho, take away porto, take away chelsea, take away inter and real too, then what the Kean is he left with.?

on another note and regarding shearer, does he have his badges.? has he ever done anything besides the 8 game disaster run with newcastle.? trained reserves like OGS.? been an assistant.? heck, has he even been a coach.?

Managing a big club and making them win is not an easy job. Take a look at Scolari at Chelsea who has some amazing players at his disposal, yet failed miserably. On the other hand, you have Avram Grant who did relatively well with Chelsea, however failed at West Ham and Pompey.

This could work both ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_Schuster#Statistics

I was going to say similar to greco. So he got high win percentages because he was at bigger clubs by that logic could you not say he got lower win rates because the other clubs were smaller?.

Unless you are applying that to he Rovers (ie being a 'smaller' club) which I guess would add some validity.

Spot on about his job changing though, that can't be denied.

the point of view you are presenting, is at best semi-stupid. Are you seriously trying to make it a bad thing, that he managed big clubs.? How about mourinho, take away porto, take away chelsea, take away inter and real too, then what the Kean is he left with.?

on another note and regarding shearer, does he have his badges.? has he ever done anything besides the 8 game disaster run with newcastle.? trained reserves like OGS.? been an assistant.? heck, has he even been a coach.?

I am not saying that it is a bad thing that he managed big clubs, it is a positive that he has done so. What I am saying is that some people think that he is the new "messiah" and that appointing him will guarantee success. It won't and my concern is that he is a very volatile character and can't see him working effectively with Venky's which in itself would represent big problems down the line.

I also think that appointing Shearer would be a big mistake. He is not what we need at the moment.

Good questions in relation to Shearer.

Poor analysis of Kamy's comment concerning Schuster. Kamy is saying his past experiences at strong clubs is not an apples to apples comparison to the Rovers current situation. The ability to win with Real Madrid is not the same as having the ability to win promotion with a demoralized, on paper relatively talented but so far not clicking squad.

So can Schuster win with Real Madrid and other big squads? Yes. Can he turn the Rovers into a winning squad? Haven't seen anything to indicate that he can. He's a gamble. What we need is a disciplinarian, someone who can whip our boys into shape, make them jump, while at the same time instilling some pride and providing some tactical acumen.

+1

I still think OGS after watching that Video.

• He seemed to have a clear vision.
  • Know the tactics game he wanted to play.
  • Had a good work ethic.
  • Concentrated on the basics like fitness.Has played at the highest level.
  • Young and enthusiastic.

I know he is unproven at this level as a manager but if you contrast that with shearer who has not:-

1) Outlined how he would set his team to play.

2) Has been happy to work as a pundit and expects a job on a plate.

3) Was not successful in his shirt time at Newcastle.

He just seems so guarded and just doesn't have a clear outline vision.

No idea. Shebby will be heavily involved in the process, the owners are still in Zurich so maybe candidates will go out there to meet with the owners. If we are after Shearer then he would certainly want to talk to the owners directly.

They are probably discussing with Ottmar over lunch.

I am a big backer of Schuster as you may of guessed, dont think he is any form of Messiah, I just think out of those mentioned he is the best candidate given his record.. especially with smaller clubs. He also has a record of managing players with attitude problems.

And yeah a few people have looked at his win percentage and jumped on it in a similar way..

Just to clear a few of his tenures up...

Xerzes - Very small second division team who had just been promoted from the third division with absolutly no cash he managed to take them to the very edge of promotion to the top flight. He took them on their best ever cup run making it to the last 16.

Levante - Where a newly promoted club along the lines of a less glamourous version of Blackpool, he managed the same win % as Holloway did here in the UK, and was fired with 5 games left while they where 5 points above relegation.. they ended up being relegated.

Getafe - Again a very small side, he took over there when they where in their second ever season in the top flight just after the previous manager had left and numerous players.. despite spending 1.5m he took them to 9th in his first season and then in the following year replicated the feat with a total net spend of -11m he also took them to the final of the cupa del ray beating Barca on route. His time here was deemed successful enough to get him the Real Madrid job (where he led them to a record breaking season).

If you take these into consideration his achievments are exceptional and show that he can not only manage the big clubs but bring success to the smaller ones.

He does have his flaws, namely falling out with the press on a regular basis and sticking to his guns and falling out with authority figures.. however he has an exceptional record of being close to the players around him or under his command.

I am not saying that it is a bad thing that he managed big clubs, it is a positive that he has done so. What I am saying is that some people think that he is the new "messiah" and that appointing him will guarantee success. It won't and my concern is that he is a very volatile character and can't see him working effectively with Venky's which in itself would represent big problems down the line.

I also think that appointing Shearer would be a big mistake. He is not what we need at the moment.

your point of view is rather weird mate. So people who want schuster cant guarentee he will be a succes, but you can guarantee he wont.?

nobody can predict these things, just ask john williams, but what we can do is look at their pedigree and if you dont find schusters somewhat impressive, compared to the others in this poll, then you are quite frankly being ridiculous.

Good questions in relation to Shearer.

Poor analysis of Kamy's comment concerning Schuster. Kamy is saying his past experiences at strong clubs is not an apples to apples comparison to the Rovers current situation. The ability to win with Real Madrid is not the same as having the ability to win promotion with a demoralized, on paper relatively talented but so far not clicking squad.

So can Schuster win with Real Madrid and other big squads? Yes. Can he turn the Rovers into a winning squad? Haven't seen anything to indicate that he can. He's a gamble. What we need is a disciplinarian, someone who can whip our boys into shape, make them jump, while at the same time instilling some pride and providing some tactical acumen.

No he didnt, he made a really vague attempt to discredit schuster and tried to pick and chose, what was relevant and what was not.

schuster did fine with getafe, a club which is comparable to rovers, so he has actually done good at smaller clubs. Thats his most recent spell with a smaller club and that was aprox 5 years ago. He obviously wouldnt have gotten the real job, if he had failed miserably as manager at getafe. He actually had to buy out his contact with getafe and when laudrup left getafe, strangely enough the wanted him back. So small town club, low attendances and pocket change to buy players for and he did so well,that real madrid wanted him, but i gues you are right steve, there isn anything that indicates he can do well at a club like ours :)

The fact he is a bit volatile and has a temper doesnt bother me, our club needs a jab to the nose, a right cross to the temple and a kick in its balls.

Archived