BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Solskjear,Shearer,Sherwood,Flitcroft,Hill,Keane.....all relative Rookie managers with little experience.

Christ on a Bike,have we learnt nothing?....NO AND A THOUSAND TIMES NO TO ANY OF THE ABOVE PLEASE!!

To be fair to Hill, he's a championship manager, who stopped Barnsley getting relegated and has stabilised them somewhat so far this season. And that's with virtually no money after having done exceptionally well with an unfancied Rochdale side. Some of the players he brought to Rochdale have gone on to ply their trade in the higher leagues (Prem and Champ). Very much a calculated gamble, rather than a 'hell no'.

Solksjaer is very risky, but he knows the English game inside-out, was Utd's reserve manager for a couple of years (winning the reserve league) and has just had Molde win their league for the first time in a century. He'd be more of a Hughes than an Ince, imo.

As for the others, couldn't agree more. Esp' re: Shearer, I wouldn't trust him to manage my nephew's under12's side!

Just had a quick check on the odds and McCarthy has dropped to 4/1 on sky bet.

I could be wrong but i'm sure he was a lot higher yesterday.

I wouldn't worry too much. Big Sam was favourite to be appointed in the days leading up to when we put Ince at the helm. These things change daily.

These are the likely picks of the Venkys Family:

Desai - Internal appointment, mark my words a very good thinker, Unsackable - Eric Black

Shebby Singh - C'mon, smell the coffee, Steve Kean's nemesis - Berndt Schuster or Ole Gunnar Solksjaer

Venkatesh Rao - Solid, relegation worse than family dying, its our baby - Alan Curbishley or Mick McCarthy

Balaji Rao - Pimp lookalike, Akon's best mate, loves big name players - Alan Shearer, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, Roy Keane

Desai's Husband - Yes Dear - Eric Black

Steve Kean's wife - Steve Kean

Shebby will fortunately have an influential role in suggesting who it will be. I say fortunately due to the extraordinary concentration of executive power given to a woman who knows nothing about football and so at least Shebby has read Match magazine to help make his decision.

Also Balaji has Fifa 99 and so he knows first hand how good Solksjaer, Shearer and Keane are but he is wondering why Sebastian Perez isn't still at the club.

Managing a big club and making them win is not an easy job. Take a look at Scolari at Chelsea who has some amazing players at his disposal, yet failed miserably. On the other hand, you have Avram Grant who did relatively well with Chelsea, however failed at West Ham and Pompey.

This could work both ways.

And yet Scolari won the world cup with Brazil has a 1,000 and 1 honours as a manager. Its all swings and roundabouts but one clear distinction is where those successes are and aren't. When you have the best players at your disposal it's still hard but it's noweher near the same as managing in-complete players. Generally thise players that reach the top have two major qualities 1) the potential to do so and 2 and most important the mental attributes to turn that potential into abililty. So if you have a squad of those type of players???

The issue with the best is keeping them there and maintaining that success, it's totaly different to generating success as one would have to do at a club like Rovers.

I am a big backer of Schuster as you may of guessed, dont think he is any form of Messiah, I just think out of those mentioned he is the best candidate given his record.. especially with smaller clubs. He also has a record of managing players with attitude problems.

And yeah a few people have looked at his win percentage and jumped on it in a similar way..

Just to clear a few of his tenures up...

Xerzes - Very small second division team who had just been promoted from the third division with absolutly no cash he managed to take them to the very edge of promotion to the top flight. He took them on their best ever cup run making it to the last 16.

Levante - Where a newly promoted club along the lines of a less glamourous version of Blackpool, he managed the same win % as Holloway did here in the UK, and was fired with 5 games left while they where 5 points above relegation.. they ended up being relegated.

Getafe - Again a very small side, he took over there when they where in their second ever season in the top flight just after the previous manager had left and numerous players.. despite spending 1.5m he took them to 9th in his first season and then in the following year replicated the feat with a total net spend of -11m he also took them to the final of the cupa del ray beating Barca on route. His time here was deemed successful enough to get him the Real Madrid job (where he led them to a record breaking season).

If you take these into consideration his achievments are exceptional and show that he can not only manage the big clubs but bring success to the smaller ones.

He does have his flaws, namely falling out with the press on a regular basis and sticking to his guns and falling out with authority figures.. however he has an exceptional record of being close to the players around him or under his command.

What low level player isn't going to be inspired by a great player like schuster??? No one ever considers that at all. yes he did well at Getafe there's no getting away from that but he lacks one thing, experience in English football. It's so different over here to the rest of europe and that's why so many come from abroad and fail. Could Schuster adapt? Who knows, but the major advantage OGS has is he knows exactly what it takes to be successful in English football.

your point of view is rather weird mate. So people who want schuster cant guarentee he will be a succes, but you can guarantee he wont.?

nobody can predict these things, just ask john williams, but what we can do is look at their pedigree and if you dont find schusters somewhat impressive, compared to the others in this poll, then you are quite frankly being ridiculous.

No he didnt, he made a really vague attempt to discredit schuster and tried to pick and chose, what was relevant and what was not.

schuster did fine with getafe, a club which is comparable to rovers, so he has actually done good at smaller clubs. Thats his most recent spell with a smaller club and that was aprox 5 years ago. He obviously wouldnt have gotten the real job, if he had failed miserably as manager at getafe. He actually had to buy out his contact with getafe and when laudrup left getafe, strangely enough the wanted him back. So small town club, low attendances and pocket change to buy players for and he did so well,that real madrid wanted him, but i gues you are right steve, there isn anything that indicates he can do well at a club like ours :)

The fact he is a bit volatile and has a temper doesnt bother me, our club needs a jab to the nose, a right cross to the temple and a kick in its balls.

Aye a small town club in spain. How many managers have come from abroad and failed miserably? Ramos, was a demon in spain, how did he do here? It's just not the same from mentality to culture so on and so on, you have to consider this and Schuster has bugger all of it. It just adds to the risk, when choosing a new man is all about reducing the risk of it going tits up.

To be fair to Hill, he's a championship manager, who stopped Barnsley getting relegated and has stabilised them somewhat so far this season. And that's with virtually no money after having done exceptionally well with an unfancied Rochdale side. Some of the players he brought to Rochdale have gone on to ply their trade in the higher leagues (Prem and Champ). Very much a calculated gamble, rather than a 'hell no'.

Solksjaer is very risky, but he knows the English game inside-out, was Utd's reserve manager for a couple of years (winning the reserve league) and has just had Molde win their league for the first time in a century. He'd be more of a Hughes than an Ince, imo.

As for the others, couldn't agree more. Esp' re: Shearer, I wouldn't trust him to manage my nephew's under12's side!

Hill has a great talent of taking players and making play above and beyond what they have previously, he made Rochdale a fortune in transfers.

And given Barnsley's performance here at Ewood with a team that makes us look like Real Madrid (on paper), well he should be given some thought.

OGS.

Could he be the next Paul Ince?

Ince was reasonably successful at clubs where his status and achievements in the game made the players under him respect him and play for him. They were clearly never going to be as good a him in terms of playing ability and a certain amount of awe and inspiration may have affected motivation and therefore performances.

Similarly with OGS, and I admit I haven't looked at their squad, isn't it possible that he is getting extra out of his squad through the same psychology?

He may well be more organised and more intelligent than Ince but would OGS command that same respect from ex-Premier League players?

Just a consideration.

OGS.

Ince was reasonably successful at clubs where his status and achievements in the game made the players under him respect him and play for him. They were clearly never going to be as good a him in terms of playing ability and a certain amount of awe and inspiration may have affected motivation and therefore performances.

Similarly with OGS, and I admit I haven't looked at their squad, isn't it possible that he is getting extra out of his squad through the same psychology?

He may well be more organised and more intelligent than Ince but would OGS command that same respect from ex-Premier League players?

Just a consideration.

I think you might be on to something there. Paul Ince struck me as a super nice dude, so does OGS. Our players at the moment to kick some butt and take some names, not another guy to pretend he's their best mate.

OGS.

Just a consideration.

I'm sure his mentor showed him which end of a hair dryer is to be abused.

rummor on rovers mad roy keane on flight to zurich.

Knowing where there rumour started from, all I can say is there are some very very gullible people on Rovers Mad.

Quite why the twitter account in question, private or not, hasn't been shut down as being an obvious fake-not-parody is beyond me.

• Backroom

If we're thinking about the same person Glenn, I can't believe it hasn't been shut down by now either. or at least the subject of some legal threats as it's making a certain set of people look very stupid.

Interesting times, Shearer is a strong possibility but for me he has to come with a solid backroom staff. Dowie and Newell - perhaps. Mick McCarthy knows how it could be done to get out of the Championship and brings piles of experience. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, bit of a gamble but might be an exciting potential.

Tim Sherwood would be my idea of a potential up and coming young manager, knows the game at a very detailed level and also Rovers. Shearer is not in the same mould for me.

As for Gary Flitcroft and Matt Jansen, liked them both as players but really?

Keith Hill is better than people think and has Blackburn links.

If we need an ex-player bring back Tugay!

Hope that Shebby takes proper advice from proper people and ignores the press, the fans and most of all Agnew and Shaw!

I am a big backer of Schuster as you may of guessed, dont think he is any form of Messiah, I just think out of those mentioned he is the best candidate given his record.. especially with smaller clubs. He also has a record of managing players with attitude problems.

And yeah a few people have looked at his win percentage and jumped on it in a similar way..

Just to clear a few of his tenures up...

Xerzes - Very small second division team who had just been promoted from the third division with absolutly no cash he managed to take them to the very edge of promotion to the top flight. He took them on their best ever cup run making it to the last 16.

Levante - Where a newly promoted club along the lines of a less glamourous version of Blackpool, he managed the same win % as Holloway did here in the UK, and was fired with 5 games left while they where 5 points above relegation.. they ended up being relegated.

Getafe - Again a very small side, he took over there when they where in their second ever season in the top flight just after the previous manager had left and numerous players.. despite spending 1.5m he took them to 9th in his first season and then in the following year replicated the feat with a total net spend of -11m he also took them to the final of the cupa del ray beating Barca on route. His time here was deemed successful enough to get him the Real Madrid job (where he led them to a record breaking season).

If you take these into consideration his achievments are exceptional and show that he can not only manage the big clubs but bring success to the smaller ones.

He does have his flaws, namely falling out with the press on a regular basis and sticking to his guns and falling out with authority figures.. however he has an exceptional record of being close to the players around him or under his command.

+ 1

I think you might be on to something there. Paul Ince struck me as a super nice dude, so does OGS. Our players at the moment to kick some butt and take some names, not another guy to pretend he's their best mate.

Paul Ince struck you as a super nice dude? The self appointed guvnor, pictured in a united shirt whilst at west ham, with one of the reported biggest egos around. Say many things about Ince, nice was not one of them

What do people about Paulo Sousa becoming next Rovers manager???

according to LT, he has applied for job.

Has managed QPR, Swansea and Leicester in championship and is doing well at his Hungarian Team Videoton FC. beat Sporting Lisbon in Europe league.

And with Rovers signing alot of players from Portugal come be a very good option.

and according to Andrew Cryer on twitter that Shebby has just said short list drawn up for Thursday. Nothing too new really, but there will be more in tmrws LT

OGS.

Just a consideration.

eer!, no.

for 1 Ince didn't even have his coaching badges and all he brought to the club was Archie effin Knox and Keith Andrews, whereas OGS has a team of fully qualified coaches he knows well and are all that are all reading from the same page(like Hughes with his taffys).

Archived