BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

Told today that Rovers expect, not hope, to have their new man by a week tomorrow. Now a real concern that things are starting to drift, especially given now 5 or 6 points off auto promotion spots with performances very indifferent. Seen as almost essential to give the new man a full week with squad before Derby match. Seemingly, pecking order is OGS, Shearer, Sherwood with Freedman now coming into the reckoning.

How likely is this information to be correct, or just plain wrong; well, this is the same guy who was telling me about, supposedly, a huge pressure to get Kean out in the days before the Charlton match - a view shared by Kamy in last week's podcast - and was the basis of my confidence in what I posted that week.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally need someone who can hit the ground running, with the foreign experienced managers there would be a concern that they would not know any of our squad!

That is my major concern if Rovers go for a Foreign manager like Hitzfield and Schuster. Who has never played in England. Also a concern is whether they will speak good enough English for them to be able to speak to players about tactics and teamtalks, etc!

Told today that Rovers expect, not hope, to have their new man by a week tomorrow. Now a real concern that things are starting to drift, especially given now 5 or 6 points off auto promotion spots with performances very indifferent. Seen as almost essential to give the new man a full week with squad before Derby match. Seemingly, pecking order is OGS, Shearer, Sherwood with Freedman now coming into the reckoning.

How likely is this information to be correct, or just plain wrong; well, this is the same guy who was telling me about, supposedly, a huge pressure to get Kean out in the days before the Charlton match - a view shared by Kamy in last week's podcast - and was the basis of my confidence in what I posted that week.

Thats the timeline I was expecting the new manager to be in place by. Probably make the appointment by Friday night. Have a press conference on Monday Morning to present the Media the new manager. The new manager then will have a full week the squad to get over his ideas.

Whoever is appoint as manager will have to change the coaching staff with at least 2 or 3 changes to made. The new manager will bring in his own number 2 and first team coach plus maybe a new fitness coach aswell, tho Mark Howard was there under SA and fitness was excellent.

Suprised 37% want solksjaer.... whats he done exactly?? Or is it because people know he actually says he wants it? He turned down the Villa job, so not sure why he would have now decided to take our job?

Also suprised Rafa isnt an option in that 1st poll....

Think we will go for Sherwood, which for me is a big risk. Id rather we risked it on Shearer than him!

Avoid Roy Keane, Sven, Hill & Erik Black at all costs.

Also think Curbishley could be a risk considering how long he has been out of the game too.

Curbishley. But my guess would be Black.

I'm the same. Could be Curbishley or could be another experienced manager and I'd be happy. However the realist in me says that we have been here before and the likely outcome will be Black given the job.

Curbishley is an interesting one.. he did well at Charlton and West Ham.. but his style of play is not inspiring and his transfer dealings at Wham where dodgy at best.. but he is a good manager.. Was checking up on what Wham fans thought of him while he was there.. one writer had him in both his top 5 and bottom 5 all time west ham managers.. lol :)

I am still lost at why we are apparently looking at Roy Kean.. why oh why would we hire someone who has already fallen out with our 8m striker and who has an awful career.

Rafa, Hitzfeld, Sven.. hmmm pie in the sky..

Sherwood, Shearer, Flitcroft, Larsson unproven and none of them imo would inspire the fans nor come with the reputation as a manager that would command respect from the players.

Ballardini is a very odd one.. the guy is a perpetual club hopper and I know very little about him.

Hill and Robinson.. really not sure on those two.. they have done OK at lower levels and we have seen with Ince and Hill this season that the step up might of been one step to far.

That leaves.. Grayson, Holloway (who would not come), Schuster, Daum and OGS.. they would all do well IMO.

But opinions don't matter to much, I just hope someone has told Shebby that the likes of Shearer et al are not really what the fans are after.. you only need to look at the poll so far the top 3 are all experienced managers (OGS to a lesser degree but he just has something about him).

As for the article from Winter.. I am not really sure Schuster will be to expensive especially given the sort of contract Kean was on and the early rumours of what was on offer... for those curious he was on 2.6m Euros (about £1m pa) over two years at Besiktas which given the addons Kean was set to receive is less than Steve Kean (says allot about Stevies contract).

Curbishley is an interesting one.. he did well at Charlton and West Ham.. but his style of play is not inspiring and his transfer dealings at Wham where dodgy at best.. .

West Ham fans wouldn't agree with that - they disliked him with a passion. it's odd that Curbishley has been out of the game so long after he quit West ham - any manager worth his salt bounces back straight into the game. He also turned down Wolves last year so you have to question his desire to be a manager again. Rovers can do better than him.

Suprised 37% want solksjaer.... whats he done exactly??

I voted OSG because :

1. He did well with United reserves

2. Has done well at Molde

3. Young up and coming manager

4. Well respected in the game

5. Big enough name to get sponsors and hopefully fans back

I admit he is possibly more of a risk than McCarthy for promotion this season - but if successful more likely to keep us up if we do get promoted. Every appointment is a risk - even with Williams in charge we got it wrong.

Adsforblues

Re Mourinho.Belenenses youth team and Rio Ave at senior level but that was my point -some regard him as the best manager in the world. Shearer's prowess as a player is irrelevant.

OGS Great player. Smart. Can he whip this shower into shape? Needs a good number 2?

• Backroom

West Ham fans wouldn't agree with that - they disliked him with a passion. it's odd that Curbishley has been out of the game so long after he quit West ham - any manager worth his salt bounces back straight into the game. He also turned down Wolves last year so you have to question his desire to be a manager again. Rovers can do better than him.

You seemed to ignore the comments the other day showing he had a better record at west ham than Sam did here yet you think he was terrible

He has in the past said he wants to manage a team again. Once just before Wolves approached him, which is why a lot of people was baffled when he turned the job down.

He would be miles better than Kean, though am not a fan of his, he is one of those names that comes up all the time when a vacancy opens up. Was the same with Pardew for a while.

Archived