BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby County v Blackburn Rovers Review

Working in the garden I greeted the news of the equaliser on my phone with the usual oath before actually bursting into laughing! We have become comical in our ineptitude. It's become inevitable that the opposition will score in the last 10 mins. Either somebody's riled some old gypo hag at Ewood or it's match fixing. No team can continually leak late goals in the manner we do.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working in the garden I greeted the news of the equaliser on my phone with the usual oath before actually bursting into laughing! We have become comical in our ineptitude. It's become inevitable that the opposition will score in the last 10 mins. Either somebody's riled some old gypo hag at Ewood or it's match fixing. No team can continually leak late goals in the manner we do.

Lacking fitness?

Must admit to chuckling as well, if I didn't I'd go mental.

Revidge are you for real I agree with the defence for their goal could have done better but Robbo should easily have either held on or pushed it out for a corner and then to compound the misery he gets beaten at his near post!.

I make no apology Robbo has to take a serious look at himself from the radio coverage he has been shakey with his handling especially in the 2nd half today when we were under the cosh.

Over a few games now his handling has been poor flapping at what would be simple balls I agree it doesn't help having a paper thin defence in front of him, but that is no excuse for flapping at the most simple crosses.

I think a lot can be attributed to the fact he has not good enough competition. Although from reserve reports this polish goalie sounds alright maybe now is a good time to make the step up to the bench.

Even more infuriating is what 2 defenders were doing on the line behind Robbo.

I think the new manager can't come in soon enough and one of the first areas he needs to badly address is our slow lacklustre defence because it is getting desperate now.

If we drop many more points now promotion will be highly unlikely. I must though give credit to Rhodes great goal on the volley very controlled tidy finish shame it was not the winning goal.

We have good players but not necessarily a good squad - just too many in 1 position or not enough in another. We could pick about 5 different players to play behind the striker but only have one central midfielder - Etuhu - who is suited to this league. We have 3 centre backs when we need 4, 1 left back who is best as a left midfield and probably need a better right back. We are fine for Strikers, especially when Best gets back but the rest of the team is unbalanced.

I'm surprised we haven't used the loan system more to bring people in - which is the short term solution. Medium-Long term, I think we will have to completely overhaul the squad to get back up - starting with the January transfer window.

Forget the manager the problems at this club are far deeper than who is in the dugout. Once again we have thrown away two points because when the opposition moved up a gear our players couldn't respond. I must admit that we looked much better with Dunny and Pedersen restored to the side. Dunny running at people and Pedersen creating danger from set pieces and playing Olsson in behind the Derby defence were our best attacking options. However, the impression I have had all season is that this squad has been assembled - and I'm not sure by whom - without any thought of how the various parts fit together. Once again Jordan Rhodes looked completely lost and contributed very little outside of the box. Whilst he took his goal well, he simply cannot lead the line. He lacks the strength to shield the ball from defenders, hasn't got the pace to get away from defenders and didn't win a ball in the air. His inability to hold the ball up and bring others into the game means that whenever we clear the ball out of defence it just comes straight back. He badly needs a robust centre-forward to play alongside him. With Etuhu and Lowe both perferring to play as defensive midfielders we carry very little threat going forward. Rhodes needs the ball on the floor in the area and we have very few players who can deliver that type of pass.

I can't blame Black for this result. He was stood on the touchline urging the players to push out near the end but they seemed completely overwhelmed by nerves and simply dropped deeper and deeper and invited more pressure on themselves. The appalling performance against Oldham in the Lancashire Cup illustrated just how threadbare this squad really is when the likes of Rochina, Rosado and one or two more of our so called strong squad were completely outplayed by Oldham's young pros. No wonder Black reverted to the likes of Dunny and Pedersen today. Far too many of our players seem incapable of making simple passes. The number of times we gave the ball away was frightening.

On the evidence of what we have seen so far this season whoever gets the manager's job is going to have his work cut out and will need backing in the market in January to strengthen the squad in key areas. Shebby continually says that it is promotion or bust and that the club have gambled financially on getting back to the Premier League this season. From what I have seen so far this season I suspect that bust is the likely outcome!

Too many big time Charlie's, has beens, never was's and show ponies. Nowhere near enough hungry players, nowhere near enough people/players at the club with some fire in their bellies and something beating under the badge. It pains me to say this but it's patently obvious.

+1

Forget the manager the problems at this club are far deeper than who is in the dugout. Once again we have thrown away two points because when the opposition moved up a gear our players couldn't respond. I must admit that we looked much better with Dunny and Pedersen restored to the side. Dunny running at people and Pedersen creating danger from set pieces and playing Olsson in behind the Derby defence were our best attacking options. However, the impression I have had all season is that this squad has been assembled - and I'm not sure by whom - without any thought of how the various parts fit together. Once again Jordan Rhodes looked completely lost and contributed very little outside of the box. Whilst he took his goal well, he simply cannot lead the line. He lacks the strength to shield the ball from defenders, hasn't got the pace to get away from defenders and didn't win a ball in the air. His inability to hold the ball up and bring others into the game means that whenever we clear the ball out of defence it just comes straight back. He badly needs a robust centre-forward to play alongside him. With Etuhu and Lowe both perferring to play as defensive midfielders we carry very little threat going forward. Rhodes needs the ball on the floor in the area and we have very few players who can deliver that type of pass.

I can't blame Black for this result. He was stood on the touchline urging the players to push out near the end but they seemed completely overwhelmed by nerves and simply dropped deeper and deeper and invited more pressure on themselves. The appalling performance against Oldham in the Lancashire Cup illustrated just how threadbare this squad really is when the likes of Rochina, Rosado and one or two more of our so called strong squad were completely outplayed by Oldham's young pros. No wonder Black reverted to the likes of Dunny and Pedersen today. Far too many of our players seem incapable of making simple passes. The number of times we gave the ball away was frightening.

On the evidence of what we have seen so far this season whoever gets the manager's job is going to have his work cut out and will need backing in the market in January to strengthen the squad in key areas. Shebby continually says that it is promotion or bust and that the club have gambled financially on getting back to the Premier League this season. From what I have seen so far this season I suspect that bust is the likely outcome!

My big hope - listening on radio lancs - they said few players were really pushing themselves. Time and time again this season we have been out fought and out run by the opposition - it could be fitness - but I am also convinced that we lack a manager to motivate the players. To be honest - if they can start matching the opposition for work rate - I still think our better quality would come good.

Dream on.

Okay so the majority of teams in this league have better players? Is that what you're really saying? Have you looked through some of the squads in this league?

I believe the squad isn't fit, we don't have a gameplay or a plan b, we are completely disorganised on and off the pitch and with a decent manager we would be doing a lot better.

Archived