BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

I may be wrong but when Appleton was going through a decent run we played virtually the same team every week? Currently making 3/4 changes a match, can't help.

I think after the international break we should have Williamson, maybe Bentley back too so hopefully results will improve.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what, we should be happy with Appleton, even though the best we can hope for under him is not getting relegated?

Just because there's a good chance we'd just get another inexperienced manager anyway? Who knows, the next one might be half-decent....even if he's slightly better it would still be worthwhile.

Nope. You're entirely free to decide what makes you happy or otherwise. I know that most of my weekends are buggered up by Rovers nowadays. I'm just saying that i have got no faith in the Raos or Agnew or Shaw or Singh to make a decent appointment if Appleton were to go. This, imo, is the big problem at Rovers. And until it is resolved then we may as well change our manager every fortnight because things aren't going to improve a jot. This mess has taken about 3 years to create but i reckon we'd be doing very well if it took a decade to clear up.

I said at the time, when we got relegated Venky's had one final chance to get things right. The decision to spend big in the summer wasn't a bad call. Letting Kean and Singh spend it was. Whoever followed afterwards was always up against it as the squad was littered with show ponies and no substance or leadership was anywhere to be found. I have defended Appleton and i would still like to see him given the chance to build a side over the summer. If he is true to his word then i think it would be a side with some steel and bite. Attributes i would like to see return to Rovers. But i am very concerned about his comments regards the fans. For his own sake he should steer well clear of that subject.

We looked set for a play off push minimum after Bowyer's stint in charge.

Appleton has turned us into looking like stone cold certs for relegation from an unassailable position in that respect.

Bowyer did a cracking job when he was in charge but you have to remember he was in charge for FOUR games. Believe me, it would have gone sour. Appleton had a good start. He won 3 in a row and we didnt concede from open play for 7 games. The honeymoon period ended just as it would have done under Bowyer. That performance against Wolves in his last game was dire. Yes, we had some good performances under him but we had some good ones under Appleton at the beginning. Don't buy this whole `Bowyer was the messiah` nonsense. It wouldn't have lasted.

What structure is this?

Just a load of mates brought in at his behest, the exact changes that Berg wasn't allowed to make.

Also, if these structural changes were so positive we'd see evidence of it where it counts, on the pitch. Set pieces are woeful, half the squad are injured, there is no pattern of play and the player recruitment is sh1te.

Jesus wept, the guy exudes cluelessness and is now on phase 2, alienating the fanbase.

They say there's none so blind as those that cannot see, that phrase could've been made for some rovers fans.

In my view people have been desperately trying to credit Appleton with attributes he doesn't possess purely because of the high turn over of managers before him.

"We've had 5 managers already this season, we can't make it 6." etc.

Instead of viewing the evidence on the pitch with their own eyes.

Back to the bin round, shithead.

Unbelievable to take off Best and put Morris on.

Yes, we could well end up getting somebody worse if we bin him, yes, the club is in a mess (and as such calls for a seasoned manager), yes the squad's not the greatest.

But does anyone want to argue that this guy is good enough to get us promoted, come to think of it, to even keep us in this division?

Different name, same bald head, same crap.

But you can't keep operating like that forever. There comes a point when you have to give someone a fair crack at it. Whether Appleton is the one or not is not the point. I bet if you asked every manager in the land to name the jobs they'd least like to take i would wager we'd be second in the list only behind Pompey. The problems at Rovers are gigantic. Someone needs to get hold of it and straighten things out over a few seasons. If Venky's assured us that the next guy would be an experienced manager out of the Souness mould and they would be given free reign and time to address the problems, then i'd agree that potting Appleton would be for the best. But we sack him now and next week we might end up with Martin Allen FFS. These clowns just can't be trusted to make a good call on a new manager.

What structure is this?

Just a load of mates brought in at his behest, the exact changes that Berg wasn't allowed to make.

Also, if these structural changes were so positive we'd see evidence of it where it counts, on the pitch. Set pieces are woeful, half the squad are injured, there is no pattern of play and the player recruitment is sh1te.

Jesus wept, the guy exudes cluelessness and is now on phase 2, alienating the fanbase.

They say there's none so blind as those that cannot see, that phrase could've been made for some rovers fans.

Berg wasn't allowed to bring in his own people because he told the club he could get us promoted with the current staff at the club. In hindsight, I think he deserved longer and a chance to bring in his own team. Our current squad is simply not good enough and the problems and issues are huge which cannot be rectified in the short term. Berg ultimately got fired because he told the club he could get them promoted this season.

As fans, we dont get to fully see the full extent of structural changes but a new recruitment team (proper scouting structure rather than buying players agents give to us or players who shebby wants), a new fitness regime (which, incidentally, why so many players are currently injured. They haven't worked this hard on fitness for years), a coherent coaching team.

Two years of no structure and you expect that to be rectified in two months?

Pattern of play is poor but injuries to 11 key players doesn't help. Concerned by current form and results but we need to hang in there and give him a full summer to get the players in he wants, implement his style of play and get the team fit.

We will see big changes in the summer. Appleton knows this isn't good enough. He's not just going to roll with the same team again next year and hope for the best. Pacy wingers, solid defence, players with a bit of composure to keep possession. Players on big contracts who couldn't care less go out, young hungry players in.

no there comes a point when you have to appoint a decent experienced manager

QPR appointed a quality manager in Redknapp. Hasn't worked out. They are going to get relegated. They have decent players.

Sometimes, things are bigger than the manager. If we sacked Appleton and appointed a new manager, we may get a few decent results early on but after 6 or 7 games I'd guarantee you they'd struggle and face the same problems Appleton is and Berg before him did.

Redknapp will turn things around at QPR eventually but he needs the summer to do that. Too early to write him off. Same applies to Appleton but because he's inexperienced people are saying he wont turn it round even given the summer. Perhaps he won't but he at least deserves a fighting chance.

Berg wasn't allowed to bring in his own people because he told the club he could get us promoted with the current staff at the club. In hindsight, I think he deserved longer and a chance to bring in his own team. Our current squad is simply not good enough and the problems and issues are huge which cannot be rectified in the short term. Berg ultimately got fired because he told the club he could get them promoted this season.

As fans, we dont get to fully see the full extent of structural changes but a new recruitment team (proper scouting structure rather than buying players agents give to us or players who shebby wants), a new fitness regime (which, incidentally, why so many players are currently injured. They haven't worked this hard on fitness for years), a coherent coaching team.

Two years of no structure and you expect that to be rectified in two months?

Pattern of play is poor but injuries to 11 key players doesn't help. Concerned by current form and results but we need to hang in there and give him a full summer to get the players in he wants, implement his style of play and get the team fit.

We will see big changes in the summer. Appleton knows this isn't good enough. He's not just going to roll with the same team again next year and hope for the best. Pacy wingers, solid defence, players with a bit of composure to keep possession. Players on big contracts who couldn't care less go out, young hungry players in.

I admire your optimism rover11 but it's based on what you think is happening or what you think will happen in future.

I'll base my opinion on the direction the club is going under his stewardship on what I see on the pitch.

The new 'recruitment team' have brought in Stewart, Rekik, Jones, Bentley and DJ Bloody Campbell. Are these the types of signings that you think will get us promoted in the fullness of time?

The new 'fitness' regime is the reason for more injuries?? Any decent sports scientist would ensure that fitness was gained over time and with the best chance of getting players on the pitch, not injured off it. It's poor preparation as far as I'm concerned.

I can't point to any proveable positive that Appleton is directly responsible for, not one.

QPR appointed a quality manager in Redknapp. Hasn't worked out. They are going to get relegated. They have decent players.

Sometimes, things are bigger than the manager. If we sacked Appleton and appointed a new manager, we may get a few decent results early on but after 6 or 7 games I'd guarantee you they'd struggle and face the same problems Appleton is and Berg before him did.

Redknapp will turn things around at QPR eventually but he needs the summer to do that. Too early to write him off. Same applies to Appleton but because he's inexperienced people are saying he wont turn it round even given the summer. Perhaps he won't but he at least deserves a fighting chance.

cant agree with that, look at mccarthy, o'driscoll, davies, etc, they have kept the momentum going, a good experienced manager knows how to instill disipline, structure into a team, the players know their roles, appleton doesnt seem to know how to get anything across to the players, they run around like headless chickens. Redknapp has given qpr a fighting chance, fair enough, the task looks impossible now for qpr but he has a good track record into getting teams into shape, appleton doesnt have anything to suggest that he will get rovers organised properly for next season, just like the two previous managers before him

Bowyer did a cracking job when he was in charge but you have to remember he was in charge for FOUR games. Believe me, it would have gone sour. Appleton had a good start. He won 3 in a row and we didnt concede from open play for 7 games. The honeymoon period ended just as it would have done under Bowyer. That performance against Wolves in his last game was dire. Yes, we had some good performances under him but we had some good ones under Appleton at the beginning. Don't buy this whole `Bowyer was the messiah` nonsense. It wouldn't have lasted.

The only blip on Bowyer's record was at Wolves when Appleton had already been appointed and the players (see Murphy's post match interview) were probably deflated that Bowyer wasn't in charge any longer.

It still comes down to the fact we have inept owners who have appointed an inept board who continue to make inept decisions. When there's Shyte at the top it's going to flow downwards.

Absolutely right - and when that happens you end up with a crap squad. That's what's happened.

I don't know where to start with that post, even if Arry does go down with QPR he has turned them round and they are showing fight and are scoring goals under Redknapp. They have improved tenfold under Redknapp.

We have deteriorated tenfold under Appleton.

Further, even if Redknapp takes QPR down his managerial track record suggests he has a good chance of turning things round. Appleton has a poor managerial career record to date and there is nothing to suggest he has the capability of turning anything round.

I admire your optimism rover11 but it's based on what you think is happening or what you think will happen in future.

I'll base my opinion on the direction the club is going under his stewardship on what I see on the pitch.

The new 'recruitment team' have brought in Stewart, Rekik, Jones, Bentley and DJ Bloody Campbell. Are these the types of signings that you think will get us promoted in the fullness of time?

The new 'fitness' regime is the reason for more injuries?? Any decent sports scientist would ensure that fitness was gained over time and with the best chance of getting players on the pitch, not injured off it. It's poor preparation as far as I'm concerned.

I can't point to any proveable positive that Appleton is directly responsible for, not one.

All of which were signed in the loan market, after identifying players he wanted to sign, the club let him down.

Circumstances will be totally different in the summer, and if these are the sort of players we bring in then I suspect it will be due to the club, not Appleton

All of which were signed in the loan market, after identifying players he wanted to sign, the club let him down.

Circumstances will be totally different in the summer, and if these are the sort of players we bring in then I suspect it will be due to the club, not Appleton

Eh? He wanted Campbell and got him. Then he wanted some other guy on loan from WBA as I recall but we ended up with Stewart.

I would venture to suggest that as a rule of thumb if another Championship Club is willing to loan us one of their players, they're not much bloody good in the first place.

We have deteriorated tenfold under Appleton since the Raos took over, sacked the manager, best players and everyone else at the club.

Honestly Rev, we've been heading this way for two years now and you went along with it all. It would have been easier to read your posts if you had been against what happened, but you weren't.

Agreed, that's why he went for Jerome Thomas and we failed to sign him in time.

The very fact that we settled for Stewart shows the small pool of players which we could go for.

By all means criticise Appleton for results or performances, but those signings are on paper as good as you could expect for a championship club relying on the charity of other teams.

Completely agree.

Honestly Rev, we've been heading this way for two years now and you went along with it all. It would have been easier to read your posts if you had been against what happened, but you weren't.

You've been banging the same record for a number of years now and it gets no less boring. Yes if only we still had Salgado (retired) Nelsen (retired) Emerton (semi retired) Roberts (out for season with hip injury) Diouf (not pulling up any trees in this division with Leeds) etc.

The players who left who did make a difference Samba/Hoillet/Jones wanted to leave and there wasn't much we could do about them. Samba and Jones were given new contracts and a king's ransom before they left anyway. They were not sold intentionally to raise money as was the case when the Trust were in charge and the likes of Duff, Dunn, Bentley, Santa Cruz and Warnock were sold off.

The main reason we're where we are is because we've had a succession of poor managers in since Allardyce was sacked and Appleton is in my view the worst of the lot.

Back to the bin round, shithead.

Unbelievable to take off Best and put Morris on.

Yes, we could well end up getting somebody worse if we bin him, yes, the club is in a mess (and as such calls for a seasoned manager), yes the squad's not the greatest.

But does anyone want to argue that this guy is good enough to get us promoted, come to think of it, to even keep us in this division?

Different name, same bald head, same crap.

Don't think anybody would argue that he's currently good enough to get promoted but neither is our squad of players , but that may not be the plan anyway, perhaps we should be asking is he good enough to keep it ticking over in whatever division whilst we are either shuffled off to another on paper owner under the guise of being sold or worse case scenario go out of business.

No doubt his time at Portsmouth appealed to whoever decided he was our next manager , an history of a conveyor belt of players in and out , ability to work under financial constraints etc.

So if the above is the question , then yes think he can do the job and as a club we are cutting our cloth accordingly.

Appleton seems to be a crisis manager. No doubt he's very good at managing off the field incidents and he's not afraid to have tough conversations, e.g. Murphy.

When he first came in he seemed to have stopped the rot and was bringing back the organisation to the club. As things settled down, he didn't seem to instil the belief in the squad and a couple of bad results have taken us into a slump. He's started deflecting the blamd away from himself (tactics) and onto others (pitch, fans).

If the whispers about Admin grow, we may need to rely on his experience. Although he managed to jump ship from Pompey when Blackpool came calling, I'm not sure he'll be looked on favourably now following his time at Blackpool and here. If anything, he could earn himself a reputation as a bit of grim reaper.

There were fears when he came that this was the reason he was here. After the first few matches there's not been much to convince us otherwise.

A

If the whispers about Admin grow, we may need to rely on his experience. Although he managed to jump ship from Pompey when Blackpool came calling, I'm not sure he'll be looked on favourably now following his time at Blackpool and here. If anything, he could earn himself a reputation as a bit of grim reaper.

There were fears when he came that this was the reason he was here. After the first few matches there's not been much to convince us otherwise.

Could be the reason he wanted his own PR company in and recently turning attention on the supporters , worked for Kean didn't it ?

Although must admit don't get the same reaction listening to him as I did with Kean, and if he has been brought in to keep it ticking over then can't blame him for taking the job, don't think he's remit is destruction on and off the pitch whist earning a wedge by whatever means possible

Could be the reason he wanted his own PR company in and recently turning attention on the supporters , worked for Kean didn't it ?

Funny thing is. The disregard with which fans were treated in Kean's time ended up halving the fan base.

What if it halves again?

I still wonder if there are some covenants on the land at Ewood and Brockhall that protects them as long as BRFC is still a 'going concern' as a football club. What is the minimum number of fans required to make the club viable - without external funds? Is suspect we are already below it. Fire sale in the Summer, with more League One players and loanees.

Once Dunn is out of contract, I can't think of one person at the club who has Rovers best interests at heart. Actually, I can, the Radio Rovers staff but how much longer will they be funded I wonder.

Archived