BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Guest Norbert

Who'd you have in the summer, out of interest Blue and White Army?

Like I say, I'm really unsure Appleton is the right man, but I doubt anyone better would want to come in given the pig's ear this season has been on and off the field.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea Norbert. Anyone but Kean hasn't worked too well.

I suppose it's the old adage. Throw enough sh.t at it and some will stick.

It's no reason for carrying on regardless though...........there are enough managers out there who would jump at the chance to manage the club. They do not care what has gone on previously.

I'd personally gut the club from top to bottom. But I'm UK based and not an Indian numpty 6000 miles away.

MODS: TIME FOR A SACK OR BACK POLL?????? (just for fun)

• Backroom

Appleton will relegate us next season if his tactics and signings don't improve dramatically during the summer. Is the only option to just accept that this miracle may occur?

But is there any point sacking without an alternative

If we could bring in someone of good calibre and experienced then most would be happy but if we were to sack him then start a haphazard hunt and end up with another gamble I don't see it as worthwhile

• Backroom

But is there any point sacking without an alternative

If we could bring in someone of good calibre and experienced then most would be happy but if we were to sack him then start a haphazard hunt and end up with another gamble I don't see it as worthwhile

We're screwed either way.

Guest Norbert

No idea Norbert. Anyone but Kean hasn't worked too well.

I suppose it's the old adage. Throw enough sh.t at it and some will stick.

It's no reason for carrying on regardless though...........there are enough managers out there who would jump at the chance to manage the club. They do not care what has gone on previously.

I'd personally gut the club from top to bottom. But I'm UK based and not an Indian numpty 6000 miles away.

MODS: TIME FOR A SACK OR BACK POLL?????? (just for fun)

I'd agree with gutting the club, especially the boardroom (and I include Shebby in this) and owners. As for the manager, unless we know that someone good and competent is interested and would join, we'd be lurching from one plank to the next. I just fear that more sacking and short termism will make things even worse. As in, we'd hasten the sense of crisis at the club, create more instability, get more dodgy loans and a raft of players from India, Hungary or wherever Shagnew/Shebby's agent friends head off to next. Someone needs to be given the time to sort things out, and binning a manager every other month is not going to do that.

Perhaps we should get rid of the post of perminent manager and get Ken Beamish and his tombola to pick someone out the crowd to manage the club for the following week.

It is an impossible situation that will not change whether or not Appleton goes.

• Backroom

Honestly this forum revels in misery doesn't it?

A draw against burnley having been behind with the goal scored at the death by one of us. Just focus on that a little and allow yourselves a teeny burst of happiness, eh?

What is concerning me is that it's taken us 5/6 games to get back to the football that had us on a good run! Hopefully we'll play more like that 2nd half in future. But I thought that vs Peterborough so :/ ......

Guest Norbert

You'd think the grass would be lush and green with all the sh_t that has been on it, wouldn't you Savage 90?

Maybe the old grounstaff have been replaced by 'The next Alan Titchmarsh', Julio Andersorio from Paraguay at the beginning of the season. We must have missed Steve Kean's comment about how he was amazed at the way he drove the mowing machine one morning, and could clear all that pesky dew so quickly.

Can't be as bad as the Stade De France yesterday.

Jim Iley League record: W1 D4 L7

Paul Ince first eleven games: W3 D4 L4

Henning Berg League record: W1 D3 L6

Michael Appleton League record:W2 D4 L5

In the interests of balance:

Howard Kendall first eleven games: W2 D5 L4

Mark Hughes first eleven games: W2 D5 L4

In Appleton have we got a manager who belongs in the top bracket or someone who'll eventually take off like a rocket like Hughes and Kendall? I'd definitely say the former but whoever is in charge it has to be borne in mind that the parachute payments halve after this season. Whoever is in charge has to get it right in summer in terms of recruitment and subsequently on the pitch. If Appleton makes a similar sort of hash of the recruitment in summer as he did this January (imo) we might not be able to recover and be left with too much ground for anyone subsequently to make up.

For that reason I'd get rid now, or failing that, certainly at the end of the season unless there is a very dramatic upturn in performance levels which I can't see happening under him.

In Appleton have we got a manager who belongs in the top bracket or someone who'll eventually take off like a rocket like Hughes and Kendall? I'd definitely say the former but whoever is in charge it has to be borne in mind that the parachute payments halve after this season. Whoever is in charge has to get it right in summer in terms of recruitment and subsequently on the pitch. If Appleton makes a similar sort of hash of the recruitment in summer as he did this January (imo) we might not be able to recover and be left with too much ground for anyone subsequently to make up.

For that reason I'd get rid now, or failing that, certainly at the end of the season unless there is a very dramatic upturn in performance levels which I can't see happening under him.

Yep, sacking managers a matter of months into their tenure is the way forward.

Clearly.

What the hell has happened to our pitch? Ewood used to be immaculate.

Pitches have a lifetime and ours is probably at the end of its current one. Then it's been played on more after a sopping wet summer and a cold winter. More wear and tear than it should be getting at the end of its lifespan.

Yep, sacking managers a matter of months into their tenure is the way forward.

Clearly.

Appointing a proper proven manager is the way forward ....

Only 2 managers have got us promoted , Dalglish and Souness !

We need a proper manager it is so obvious ..

What fans must understand is that Appleton hasn't had a full week with the players. We've had games on Saturday and then Tuesday for nearly the past 2 months. Majority of our training sessions would have been recovery works and very little time focusing on his tactics and what he would like the players to do.

Just need to survive this season. We've preserved our 34 years against the Dingles, in what has been our worst season managerially. You can't expect to challenge for a Sunday League Cup with 5 different managers in charge, let alone the Championship.

Roll on next season.

Did they hire Appleton because hes got league one experience because thats the way the club seem to be heading under him.

Its beginning to look like Ian Holloways team that Appleton inherited made him look far better than he really is.

Did they hire Appleton because hes got league one experience because thats the way the club seem to be heading under him.

Its beginning to look like Ian Holloways team that Appleton inherited made him look far better than he really is.

Anyone who thinks Jason Lowe, Bradley Orr, Cameron Stewart, Williamson are good enough for Rovers, for me, should be as far away from Blackburn Rovers football club as you can get.

To be honest Rev I don't think there will be too much of the parachute payment handed over to whoever is manager in the summer. The losses, which are mounting on a weekly basis, will have to be covered by money from somewhere and I suspect that the parachute payments will go in that direction. Sustaining the Rovers outside of the Premiership will be a challenge let alone trying to return to the top flight. You seem to think that if Venkys sack Appleton they will appoint someone better. Since sacking 'Big Sam' they have had three opportunities to bring in an experienced manager and each time they have gone for a more inexperienced one. Gates are falling, commercial revenue is falling and the prospects are that they will continue to fall next season. With a squad that is threadbare of genuine quality and money becoming increasingly tight it is hardly an attractive proposition for any manager. Add to that we are owned by a family who have demonstrated that they are completey out of their depth and we have Shebby, Shaw and Agnew who are hardly the world's greatest adminstrative team. Personally, I'll be happy for Appleton or anyone to just keep us in the Championship over the next few years and prevent us from dropping into League One and League Two.

Honestly this forum revels in misery doesn't it?

A draw against burnley having been behind with the goal scored at the death by one of us. Just focus on that a little and allow yourselves a teeny burst of happiness, eh?

What is concerning me is that it's taken us 5/6 games to get back to the football that had us on a good run! Hopefully we'll play more like that 2nd half in future. But I thought that vs Peterborough so :/ ......

Honestly darrenermike I really can't get myself worked up into a frenzy of excitement because we snatched a late, late equaliser against a Burnley side that had been reduced to ten men for the last 25 minutes. To me it just highlights how far we have fallen over the past couple of years under Venkys. I thought the performance was awful and only saved by the efforts of Dunny. Sadly, Venkys have ensured that we are now facing Burnley on equal terms and whilst it was good to keep the run against them going the fact remains that over the next year or two that run will come to an end because we are now facing them as equals.

Honestly darrenermike I really can't get myself worked up into a frenzy of excitement because we snatched a late, late equaliser against a Burnley side that had been reduced to ten men for the last 25 minutes. To me it just highlights how far we have fallen over the past couple of years under Venkys. I thought the performance was awful and only saved by the efforts of Dunny. Sadly, Venkys have ensured that we are now facing Burnley on equal terms and whilst it was good to keep the run against them going the fact remains that over the next year or two that run will come to an end because we are now facing them as equals.

Stone the crows, if you can't get worked into a frenzy when Dunn scored that yesterday I'd be questioning why I bother even turning up Parson. Thankfully you're in a minority, Ewood has rarely seen such scenes of celebration in many a year.

I understand the sentiment, but for goodness sake....

Stone the crows, if you can't get worked into a frenzy when Dunn scored that yesterday I'd be questioning why I bother even turning up Parson. Thankfully you're in a minority, Ewood has rarely seen such scenes of celebration in many a year.

I understand the sentiment, but for goodness sake....

We are four points off relegation, we meekly surrendered a possible date a Wembley in the F.A. Cup semi-final in front of the lowest sixth round crowd that anyone can remember nationally, let alone at Ewood. It would appear that not losing to Burnley over two games is the only thing that matters. Pity the fans weren't at Ewood on Wednesday night supporting the team in a far more important game as a Semi-final place would have brought in much needed revenue that might have helped to improve the quality of the squad in the summer.

Apologies Gav, I'm not having a dig at you and I'm genuinely pleased that we got a point yesterday but we all know that against Blackpool we'll be back to the usual attendance and many of those celebrating yesterday won't be back until the next game against Burnley. Sad times.

We are four points off relegation, we meekly surrendered a possible date a Wembley in the F.A. Cup semi-final in front of the lowest sixth round crowd that anyone can remember nationally, let alone at Ewood. It would appear that not losing to Burnley over two games is the only thing that matters. Pity the fans weren't at Ewood on Wednesday night supporting the team in a far more important game as a Semi-final place would have brought in much needed revenue that might have helped to improve the quality of the squad in the summer.

Apologies Gav, I'm not having a dig at you and I'm genuinely pleased that we got a point yesterday but we all know that against Blackpool we'll be back to the usual attendance and many of those celebrating yesterday won't be back until the next game against Burnley. Sad times.

Like I said I understand the points you're making Parson and very valid they are to, but for goodness sake allow yourself a moment to enjoy the goal and scenes from yesterday, it could be a while before we them again.

Like I said I understand the points you're making Parson and very valid they are to, but for goodness sake allow yourself a moment to enjoy the goal and scenes from yesterday, it could be a while before we them again.

I know you're right Gav. I think this season has just slowly drained my enthusiasm and passion away.

Rovers11 have made some really great points and I agree with his points.

Appleton needs time and patience to turn things around. he got to be given this but performances and style of play need to be improve. hopefully the over next 12 days this can be done.

Sadly I think we are witnessing his style of play. Defend then hoof it to the strikers, repeat.

Did Appleton have to "turn things round" at Blackpool?

Because it seems he is using the same genius template here as he did there.

I don't buy all this "turning it round", if anything, he's turned things round so that we're worse.

Time to face facts and cut losses.

Archived