BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We limp from game to game, hoping, praying, arguing, god knows whatting (doubt that's a word), next up Seasiders, with an incy point to prove against MA. Seems to me it will be much of the same, save for a few of our injured back in the mix. Watched the Cardiff home game on telly, been to every home game since half ST, haven't had any hope other than Forest at home, and thought the luck had changed. We are a very average side, managed by self-interested goons, owned by idiots. Wouldn't be surprised if we go down with Wolves.

How ironic would that be after the last gasp PL survival under that tw*t excuse of a manager?

Missing from this comparison is context. Iley took over a top team from Jim Smith; Ince took over a top team from Hughes; Kendall took over a relegated shambles; Hughes took over a second from bottom shambles. Even Kendall, one of the best managers of the 1980s, couldn't polish a turd in his first 11 games. You also missed off Furphy who took us to 18th in the 3rd division in by November in his first season. Appleton's record to date tells us little to nothing about the long term prognosis because he took over a shambolic club, far worse than we have ever been. And why will "Anyone but Appleton" be more successful than "Anyone but Kean" and "Anyone but Berg"?

Good points but I have to disagree with any assertion that (at the level we're at) Appleton took over a team in disarray. The team was buzzing before he took over thanks to Bowyer's input and all he had to do was keep the momentum going and do a little fine tuning here and there. Instead he's tried to change things round completely to catastrophic effect and we are hurtling backwards at a rate of knots with every passing week imo.

MA now has his squad.

He really doesn't! How many starters against Burnley did Appleton bring in? Three?

And even then he's been operating in the emergency loan market. Only a tiny fraction of players are available in that market compared to the open summer transfer market.

I'm not making excuses for performances, but it's highly unfair to claim it's Appleton's squad.

He really doesn't! How many starters against Burnley did Appleton bring in? Three?

And even then he's been operating in the emergency loan market. Only a tiny fraction of players are available in that market compared to the open summer transfer market.

I'm not making excuses for performances, but it's highly unfair to claim it's Appleton's squad.

He was quick enough to jump ship from Blackpool so he must have thought our squad was OK before he came otherwise he wouldn't have bothered!

He was quick enough to jump ship from Blackpool so he must have thought our squad was OK before he came otherwise he wouldn't have bothered!

It's more about long term prospects, surely? Stay at a club who won't even pay to sort their pitch out or go to a club who spent £8 million on a striker.

I think Appleton has given more than enough interviews for us to work out what he thought of the squad. He has openly critcised it and the recruitment process that assembled it.

He's had more opportunity than Berg but the lynch mob were soon onto him. If you factor in the ability to alter the squad he is doing far worse than Berg. We are in dire dire straits

What is our obsession with bald, untested managers who stand frozen on the touchline, hands in pockets, making no impact whatsoever? I don't get to live games, so perhaps I'm wrong, but whenever the camera switches to the touchline, you'll often see the opposite manager screaming out instructions, and Kean/Berg/Appleton just STANDING THERE completely gormless.

• Backroom

It's more about long term prospects, surely? Stay at a club who won't even pay to sort their pitch out or go to a club who spent £8 million on a striker.

I think Appleton has given more than enough interviews for us to work out what he thought of the squad. He has openly critcised it and the recruitment process that assembled it.

Our pitch isn't exactly fantastic at the moment either to be fair. At this rate it won't be long before it's just as bad as the donkey lashers'.

I am still waiting to see what this squad can do under a proven manager.

OR if we must go for a novice manager, why not try the novel approach of going for someone with a successful track record? I'm not at all sure why we've gone for 2 successive relative rookies whose career track record can be described as poor to average at best.

Going by Shebby's comments, the fact Berg was a former Rovers player weighed heavily in his favour. I'm still struggling to come up with any reason as to why anyone would consider Appleton a suitable candidate.

Guest Norbert

I think the 'told you sos' are sharpening their knives already, so it'll be some other mugs turn this time next year. This all feels like one of those sites that encourages teenagers to kill themselves or self-harm right now. Thank goodness Jim Jones wasn't a Rovers fan, and the internet wasn't around then!

He made a big song and dance about bringing in his own head of recruitment who could spot a player and knew exactly what was needed etc etc and since then every player he's brought in with the exception of Jones has been worse than the players already at the Club. (imo)

I sure nobody is thinking that. Norbert. We all hoped he would deliver the improbable. Everyone here wants the best for Rovers. If only the Rao's shared that.

Appoint someone with a track record of knowing what he is doing and take it from there. Someone who can command what Kean, Berg and Appleton don't. Respect

Did you go on Sunday? Stewart looked like like an U15 schoolboy on the left wing. People say we only won cos Burnley went down to 10 men.... well we may as well have started with 10!

Oh we won did we? must have missed that.......:)Yes i was there as usual and i actually thought when we got the ball to him he looked ok in the first ten mins but yes he's another who is far to lightweight. The fact he was made to change position was another useless tactic as he lost the ball everytime it went near him. Then he throws on young Morris who looked ok going forward with time and space but again lost just about every tackle.

Oh we won did we? must have missed that.......:)Yes i was there as usual and i actually thought when we got the ball to him he looked ok in the first ten mins but yes he's another who is far to lightweight. The fact he was made to change position was another useless tactic as he lost the ball everytime it went near him. Then he throws on young Morris who looked ok going forward with time and space but again lost just about every tackle.

Sorry no..... it just felt like it! :rover:

Appleton's problem is he is setting us up to play like a team in the Premier League playing against Premier League teams while fighting against relegation. We're not anymore. We started the season spending substantially more than other clubs in the league and kept together most of our Premier League squad, we should not be doing this poorly. We should be worried about how to win games, not lose them. This isn't Portsmouth.

It's clear team morale has fallen drastically and it's no surprise. Contrast what Kean was saying at the start of the season about us being the team to beat and other teams being frightened of us, and what Appleton is saying. How the team is awful, needs rebuilding, quality over quantity, and so on.

I can't imagine Appleton is having a positive effect on the squad. Although I agreed 100% with everything he was saying at the beginning and all the problem areas he identified.

I like Appleton and I think he's smart enough to get this team playing better. But he needs to figure out how to motivate the players and he needs to ditch the survival mentality.

I'd give him until the end of the season to see what he can do. Sack him if performances and results don't pick up.

Problem is, as I keep on saying, who the hell would want to come in? And can we honestly trust the owners or whoever to hire the right person? I wouldn't even think of thinking about applying if I was say Alan Curbishley.

We're stuck with Appleton or some William Anka , until the Indian vermin leave.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if it would be easier to just pull the plug, and start again sometimes.

Wasn't there strong rumours of some prominent names willing to do the job. It's just Venkys have this insistence in hiring under qualified people.

After yesterday DUNNY !

Correct me if im wrong but Burnleys two goals against Rovers this season seem to have come about because of Danns inability to win a header in our box.

He did not even go up for the one yesterday and he does it frequently.

a win ration of 24.05% at all clubs ...no matter how he talks ( was impressed with his talk a 1st ) the stats are unfortunately not lying...

The way in which Rovers have played in the last few games even with injuries tactical wise has been abysmal especially the Millwall games and anyone who thought we were going to get anything from the Burnley game until the sending off changed things must of been in the pub since 7am...

OR if we must go for a novice manager, why not try the novel approach of going for someone with a successful track record? I'm not at all sure why we've gone for 2 successive relative rookies whose career track record can be described as poor to average at best.

Going by Shebby's comments, the fact Berg was a former Rovers player weighed heavily in his favour. I'm still struggling to come up with any reason as to why anyone would consider Appleton a suitable candidate.

Clearly the owners wanted him Rev and there is your problem. If Appleton is sacked it's the owners who will appoint and clearly the likes of Kean, Berg and Appleton are the type of candidates that they are looking at. They are obviously not interested in experienced managers. Perhaps experienced managers won't put up with how Venkys want to run the club.

Spotted Appleton in Holland & Barrett in Preston yesterday, eyeing up the supplements. Spoke briefly with him said he will be working on attacking play a lot more with the break we have now. Whether that's true or not who knows. He admitted if we 'feed' Rhodes we will score a hatful.

Seemed a genuine guy, not sure why he was buying supplements from town though - surely could get them through Rovers!

Clearly the owners wanted him Rev and there is your problem. If Appleton is sacked it's the owners who will appoint and clearly the likes of Kean, Berg and Appleton are the type of candidates that they are looking at. They are obviously not interested in experienced managers. Perhaps experienced managers won't put up with how Venkys want to run the club.

Money talks, was widely reported Ollie wanted to come and Davies has gone back to Forest under new, mad owners.

Venky's are either ill advised, total idiots or on a wrecking spree.

Money talks, was widely reported Ollie wanted to come and Davies has gone back to Forest under new, mad owners.

Ollie (his wife) didnt want to go in the middle of the season, because of their kids (school etc)

Think I will go for 30 % of no 1, 20% of number 2 , 10 % of number 3 and 40% of a new number 4 which is total greed from third parties with vested interests.

Guest Norbert

I thought Ollie's kids were older now, and that was the reason he took jobs in the south west or London prior to Blackpool. It is all academic about Ollie as we should have snapped him up before we got Berg. When Berg was binned he was at Crystal Palace wasn't he?

The ideal time to get a proper, experienced manager was when Kean stormed out. Ever since then it has been one botch job after another.

Archived