BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

I wonder what people made of Mark Hughes first two or three months in charge at Rovers ? Not a defence of MA - but we have to give him some time to sort out the mess he in herited, which is far worse than Mark Hughes did.

After losing patience with Stead and recognising that his limitations were too greart for the Prem (very many on here were in denial about that I seem to rem) Hughes realised that 4-4-2 wouldn't work. Binned him and instructed the diminutive Dickov to do the work of two and reverted to a defensive 'they shall not pass' 4-5-1 until he could get some decent players in to replace the rag tag rabble that he inherited from Souness.

Needless to say that if Paul Dickov ever walks in my local when I am in he won't need to buy a drink all night.

Appleton comments about the fans was that if the atmosphere was like that every home game the players would find it easier to play at home.

What sort of goons would we be to sit there like Rovers Fans after what has gone on in the past 2 years+? He well knew what had gone on here when he took the job.

If you want some support from the terraces Mikey you'd better get on and @#/? well earn it!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stone the crows, if you can't get worked into a frenzy when Dunn scored that yesterday I'd be questioning why I bother even turning up Parson. Thankfully you're in a minority, Ewood has rarely seen such scenes of celebration in many a year.

I understand the sentiment, but for goodness sake....

Gav I understand your sentiment too..... but in the cold light of day we rescued an undeserved point against a very ordinary Championship side. I think the reason for our delight was not the performance BUT the timing and the abject misery that we inflicted on the away supporters. That was worth much.

Honestly this forum revels in misery doesn't it?

A draw against burnley having been behind with the goal scored at the death by one of us. Just focus on that a little and allow yourselves a teeny burst of happiness, eh?

What is concerning me is that it's taken us 5/6 games to get back to the football that had us on a good run! Hopefully we'll play more like that 2nd half in future. But I thought that vs Peterborough so :/ ......

Beating Burnley isn't the be all and end all. If Rovers get relegated at the end of the season do you really think fans are going to say, "Oh well we got relegated, doesn't matter though as we didn't lose to Burnley that season". I acknowledge that some fans take the rivalry more seriously than others but football has moved on to more than just that.

Rovers played well? I thought they were absolute @#/?. If the match had finished 11 players on both side I think we would have lost that game.

On Appleton you just have to ask yourself from what you've seen so far do you think there is room for improvement and therefore should he be given another season? For me it's clear the answer is no, I have no confidence in the manager therefore he must go. Doesn't matter what the media think if we sack another manager, if the guy isn't the right man for the job (he clearly isn't IMO) then you get rid.

Guest Norbert

Problem is, as I keep on saying, who the hell would want to come in? And can we honestly trust the owners or whoever to hire the right person? I wouldn't even think of thinking about applying if I was say Alan Curbishley.

We're stuck with Appleton or some William Anka , until the Indian vermin leave.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if it would be easier to just pull the plug, and start again sometimes.

Did Appleton have to "turn things round" at Blackpool?

Because it seems he is using the same genius template here as he did there.

I don't buy all this "turning it round", if anything, he's turned things round so that we're worse.

Time to face facts and cut losses.

Totally agree especially when hes making Scott Dann the captain just sets a very low standard for the club.

Totally agree especially when hes making Scott Dann the captain just sets a very low standard for the club.

Who would you have made captain then after Murphy's inept and woeful performances?

Who would you have made captain then after Murphy's inept and woeful performances?

After yesterday DUNNY !

Correct me if im wrong but Burnleys two goals against Rovers this season seem to have come about because of Danns inability to win a header in our box.

Jim Iley League record: W1 D4 L7

Paul Ince first eleven games: W3 D4 L4

Henning Berg League record: W1 D3 L6

Michael Appleton League record:W2 D4 L5

In the interests of balance:

Howard Kendall first eleven games: W2 D5 L4

Mark Hughes first eleven games: W2 D5 L4

Missing from this comparison is context. Iley took over a top team from Jim Smith; Ince took over a top team from Hughes; Kendall took over a relegated shambles; Hughes took over a second from bottom shambles. Even Kendall, one of the best managers of the 1980s, couldn't polish a turd in his first 11 games. You also missed off Furphy who took us to 18th in the 3rd division in by November in his first season. Appleton's record to date tells us little to nothing about the long term prognosis because he took over a shambolic club, far worse than we have ever been. And why will "Anyone but Appleton" be more successful than "Anyone but Kean" and "Anyone but Berg"?

Missing from this comparison is context. Iley took over a top team from Jim Smith; Ince took over a top team from Hughes; Kendall took over a relegated shambles; Hughes took over a second from bottom shambles. Even Kendall, one of the best managers of the 1980s, couldn't polish a turd in his first 11 games. You also missed off Furphy who took us to 18th in the 3rd division in by November in his first season. Appleton's record to date tells us little to nothing about the long term prognosis because he took over a shambolic club, far worse than we have ever been. And why will "Anyone but Appleton" be more successful than "Anyone but Kean" and "Anyone but Berg"?

Anyone whos ever managed a football team knows that if you have some of the best footballers in that league then your in with a good chance of winning. So for Appleton to select players like Stewart, Williamson, Orr and others strongly suggests that Appleton is really bothered about winning.

Appleton has done what a lot on here were crying for - drop Murphy and establish some kind of midfield - Jones I think has improved us and Williamson did look good in the Arsenal game. We have seemed to be more 'workmanlike' with the exception of a few games I think he's done that. He seems to want to play it down the flanks and get the ball in the box, but with injuries we have lost the personnel - King, Bentley and to an extent CKR. Thought we played a little less 'hoofball' 2nd half v Burnley.

Hopefully with the international break Appleton will have extended training sessions with the squad, able to work on tactics, (hopefully) creativity and also give chance for some injured players to return back to fitness.

If there is a more experienced manager we could hire in the summer (McDermott?) then I would definitely advocate a change, however I cannot see us getting anyone else so willing to give him his chance.

Appleton has done what a lot on here were crying for - drop Murphy and establish some kind of midfield - Jones I think has improved us and Williamson did look good in the Arsenal game. We have seemed to be more 'workmanlike' with the exception of a few games I think he's done that. He seems to want to play it down the flanks and get the ball in the box, but with injuries we have lost the personnel - King, Bentley and to an extent CKR. Thought we played a little less 'hoofball' 2nd half v Burnley.

Hopefully with the international break Appleton will have extended training sessions with the squad, able to work on tactics, (hopefully) creativity and also give chance for some injured players to return back to fitness.

If there is a more experienced manager we could hire in the summer (McDermott?) then I would definitely advocate a change, however I cannot see us getting anyone else so willing to give him his chance.

Surely anyone who applied would be more experienced than 'Appy? It would be hard to find anyone with less experience!

Difficult to understand why he was appointed in the first place if ability and experience were criteria.

I really don't think sacking the manager is rhe way to go. You have to give them at least one transfer window. This season we have used 38 players and signed 22 new ones. Until we have a few months stability we will continue to struggle.

If a new man comes in we will have to go through the whole auditioning process again bringing back Murphy, Orr etc...

That said we need to get back to getting the ball on the deck. At the start of the 2nd half yesterday we did look better (couldn't look much worse) once we started to pass the ball. I hope he is also starting to realise two up top isnt the way to go. I'm hoping he has persisted with this because he is struggling to find 3 decent centre midfielders at the club to play a 4-3-3.

I really don't think sacking the manager is rhe way to go. You have to give them at least one transfer window. This season we have used 38 players and signed 22 new ones. Until we have a few months stability we will continue to struggle.

If a new man comes in we will have to go through the whole auditioning process again bringing back Murphy, Orr etc...

That said we need to get back to getting the ball on the deck. At the start of the 2nd half yesterday we did look better (couldn't look much worse) once we started to pass the ball. I hope he is also starting to realise two up top isnt the way to go. I'm hoping he has persisted with this because he is struggling to find 3 decent centre midfielders at the club to play a 4-3-3.

Maybe with Williamson returning we could play with him, Jones and Lowe? No creativity there really..

After yesterday DUNNY !

Correct me if im wrong but Burnleys two goals against Rovers this season seem to have come about because of Danns inability to win a header in our box.

What about before yesterday, would you have had Dunn? I think sometimes a lot of fans come out with statements and opinions without really having solutions. It's easy to say do this and do that. It only works if we have viable and better options. Quite simply we don't have. For example if we were to sack Appleton today who would you get in?

As soon as the question of replacements is brought up the answers will come as Adkins, McDermott, Hughes, Curbishley etc. to which the counter argument is 'they'd never come'.

Pointless arguing on here really, you get a counter claim that can't be proven.

Maybe with Williamson returning we could play with him, Jones and Lowe? No creativity there really..

I agree that's why I'm loathe to have a go at his tactics when the players available to him are of such a poor standard. I wanted Appleton as a friend of mine knows him from Preston and I liked what I heard. However it is worrying it took 180 mins against Millwall and 45 mins yesterday to realise knocking it long isn't the way to go.

Rhodes has scored 20 odd goals this season despite of Rovers not because of us and I hope Appleton can find a way to get the best out of him because if we can we will win a lot more than we lose.

Bentley on the wing if fit ? Stewart on the left ? Jones, Williamson in centre mid to win the battle and spread it wide. Seems the way to go.

Bentley on the wing if fit ? Stewart on the left ? Jones, Williamson in centre mid to win the battle and spread it wide. Seems the way to go.

Sorry that was just in reference to 4-3-3 . I would say so, maybe King when he returns think he really drives down the touchline and perhaps CKR could do a job?

• Backroom

To be fair to Jones he does like to bomb forward and help the wingers get up the pitch as well as get stuck in. he's the box-to-box type we've missed for a while imo. It's just that he's Champ standard and not PL standard. But cut our cloth accordingly, I suppose.

As soon as the question of replacements is brought up the answers will come as Adkins, McDermott, Hughes, Curbishley etc. to which the counter argument is 'they'd never come'.

Pointless arguing on here really, you get a counter claim that can't be proven.

The idiots in charge of the club have had enough opportunities to appoint a decent manager and failed each time, so as fans we should know that they'll not get it right next time either., or the time after that.

You win nothing changing your manager constantly, the club needs stability, and from conversations yesterday it seems most people understand that, even if the small numbers on here don't.

Appleton needs to be given until next season, we have almost an entire first team out injured, the players being picked are not 100% fit and Kean bought dross that have had to be shipped out, and replacements picked from whats left in the loan market, so people calling for his head need to think about these issues and give the guy a chance.

Sorry that was just in reference to 4-3-3 . I would say so, maybe King when he returns think he really drives down the touchline and perhaps CKR could do a job?

Yes you're right in your opinion if it was 4-3-3. I'd actually forgotten for a moment about CKR and King, just goes to show what a squad we have. Wish the season was just starting :(

The idiots in charge of the club have had enough opportunities to appoint a decent manager and failed each time, so as fans we should know that they'll not get it right next time either., or the time after that.

You win nothing changing your manager constantly, the club needs stability, and from conversations yesterday it seems most people understand that, even if the small numbers on here don't.

Appleton needs to be given until next season, we have almost an entire first team out injured, the players being picked are not 100% fit and Kean bought dross that have had to be shipped out, and replacements picked from whats left in the loan market, so people calling for his head need to think about these issues and give the guy a chance.

Let's see how he goes until the end of this Season.

There are no excuses for the dross currently being served up.

As previously stated, such a severe injury list is symptomatic of a struggling side ( and possibly dodgy training techniques ).

Let's hope he sorts it out.

I do think we desperately need to move to a 4-3-3. 4-4-2 just lends itself to really rigid football. It is possible to play a fluid 4-4-2 and some teams manage it, but I think it's far more difficult.

With our personnel, I'd like us to try and play....

................ Kean

Henley Dann Hanley Martin

................ Lowe

....... Bentley ... Jones

.. CKR ................... King

............... Rhodes

Having a passing game with overlapping full backs. Lowe does nothing but screen that back four and cover full backs when they go forward, then keep it simple on the ball (Makelele used to do this brilliantly).

If you get the full backs forward then the wide strikers can drift from the wings and support the front man. This is how most modern wide players operate now. Full backs provide crosses, not wide men.

Archived